The camping/outdoors thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

The camping/outdoors thread

Post by azgreg »

Taking off Saturday morning for Black Canyon Lake. Meeting up with about 30 people for the weekend.
Longhorned

Re: The camping/outdoors thread

Post by Longhorned »

I like camping, but not hiking because that's all about packing light, and I like to bring a bunch of books to read while camping.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Mt wife joined a couple of Meetup groups. One does backpack camping and this one which she calls the fun group. This group does the drinking and fishing thing along with a little kayak action.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:I like camping, but not hiking because that's all about packing light, and I like to bring a bunch of books to read while camping.
Kindle/eBooks not your style?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I like camping, but not hiking because that's all about packing light, and I like to bring a bunch of books to read while camping.
Kindle/eBooks not your style?
I make do with them sometimes, but not worth hiking if I can just pull up to my rented cabin with a whole load of books. I love books. They come with me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't camp, but do like hiking at lunch.

Today's hike:

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Random group of people? Boat? Im headed to Coronado this weekend. Hoping to get on the water but its gonna be a zoo

I just got back from an amazing Utah trip. Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Antelope Canyon, Park City, Monument Valley, Dead Horse Pass, literally all over. Hiked 25+ miles, most of which in Zion. Took over 1100 pics ... heres a few.

First stop was Horseshoe Bend near Page. Got sand blasted bad here, storms were rolling in:

4 pics from Antelope Canyon. Looking up:

Hiking the Narrows in Zion. Only did about a 1/3 of the 14 miles. Going back next year with a buddy to do the whole thing. It takes 2-3 days camping overnight in the Canyons. One of the coolest hikes Ive ever done.

Hiking the HooDoos of Bryce NP:

Dead Horse Pass near Moab:

Arches NP at sundown:

Largest arch in the world, Landscape Arch:

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

awesome pics
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone ever done Havasupai Falls? I want to do that when I head back up to Zion:

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I did Havasupai a few years ago. I highly recommend it. Go down the ladder towards the Colorado river. No one was down there the day we went. Had the whole place to ourselves. Must have gotten pretty close to the Colorado. It was gorgeous. I thought I had some pics but they must be on my old computer. Zion is on my bucket list. Loved Antelope too:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Boat? Im headed to Coronado this weekend. Hoping to get on the water but its gonna be a zoo
I was just at Coronado last weekend. Ate at Il Fiorno(sp?). Both my daughter and youngest son live in the SD area. I live in the central coast, and there is no way I would attempt going down there this weekend. For me it would be Santa Barbara county - Ventura County - LA County - OC - SD county.

Just an awful ugly stressful bumper to bumper trip from Santa Barbara city on down.

Much easier coming from Tucson, just take the 10 to the 8 and go.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Beautiful shots Jefe. Very nicely composed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:Anyone ever done Havasupai Falls? I want to do that when I head back up to Zion:

Yes. It's kind of amazing. So is Mooney Falls, just a little ways down from Havasupai Falls. I went into a cave there when I was 10, and my dad called out to me but I didn't hear him, so he left me there. I couldn't figure out how to get out on my own (it's really steep and you have to hold on to chains), so I waited until some hikers found me later. They got me out and took me back to the camp ground at Havasupai Falls, and my dad took took me out into the woods and whipped me with his belt until I couldn't breathe. Nowadays he doesn't understand why I stopped talking to him in my early 20s.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Great pics jeje.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I did Havaupai in college and it was amazing. I'd like to get into better shape and do it again in the next year or two.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

We hiked Palouse Falls last month. It was 108 and you can tell from the landscape, but it's a beautiful place in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by the real dill on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

nm
Last edited by azgreg on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote: Yes. It's kind of amazing. So is Mooney Falls, just a little ways down from Havasupai Falls. I went into a cave there when I was 10, and my dad called out to me but I didn't hear him, so he left me there. I couldn't figure out how to get out on my own (it's really steep and you have to hold on to chains), so I waited until some hikers found me later. They got me out and took me back to the camp ground at Havasupai Falls, and my dad took took me out into the woods and whipped me with his belt until I couldn't breathe. Nowadays he doesn't understand why I stopped talking to him in my early 20s.

:shock:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azgreg wrote:Nice shots trd. Is that your daughter?
So I think I accidentally linked my flickr account, but yes the 3 year old that I have 1,000+ pictures of is my daughter.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Ashamed to say I haven't been to Palouse Falls. Gotta go. Some dude went over in a kayak and lived to tell about it.

Prefer hiking and kayaking to camping, which entails too much housework.
Right where I want to be.