Let's Talk TVs & Home Theater

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phenom5

Let's Talk TVs & Home Theater

Post by phenom5 »

Important thread that needs to come over from the other board.

Still loving my Panny 55" Plasma. But no I am looking at upgrading my surround sound for the new house. Currently I have an older Onkyo 1250W 6.1 set up. Open to suggestions. The house is pre-wired...kinda. We're not putting the TV where it is "suppose" to go, so we need to adjust the setup. I have an electrician friend that owes a favor...that should not be an issue.

Kinda off topic, maybe, but there is a plug in the TV nook that essentially looks like a 3-prong plug sticking out of the wall (we didn't build the house, and we have no idea what it is). We'll find out what it is on Friday on our walk through, but curious if anybody has any clue. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Salty

Re: Let's Talk TVs & Home Theater

Post by Salty »

I don't even own a TV and don't have any plan to buy one.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Salty wrote:I don't even own a TV and don't have any plan to buy one.
Sort of like a virgin giving sex advice.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

phenom5 wrote:Kinda off topic, maybe, but there is a plug in the TV nook that essentially looks like a 3-prong plug sticking out of the wall (we didn't build the house, and we have no idea what it is). We'll find out what it is on Friday on our walk through, but curious if anybody has any clue. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Probably a grounded plug built in but I can't tell from your description where it is or what it is or supposed to be connected to. Lots of av cabinets have them as well.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Daryl Zero wrote:
Sort of like a virgin giving sex advice.
Or in this case...a virgin giving TV advice.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Vizio is the way to go
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Then how do you pull off the Halo / Book of Eli date?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Daryl Zero wrote:
phenom5 wrote:Kinda off topic, maybe, but there is a plug in the TV nook that essentially looks like a 3-prong plug sticking out of the wall (we didn't build the house, and we have no idea what it is). We'll find out what it is on Friday on our walk through, but curious if anybody has any clue. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Probably a grounded plug built in but I can't tell from your description where it is or what it is or supposed to be connected to. Lots of av cabinets have them as well.
Here's a picture. It's right next to the coax outlet.

Salty

Post by Salty »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Then how do you pull off the Halo / Book of Eli date?
I have a projector. And a giant wall. 8-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I've seen reverse cords like that for televisions. It's for parents who don't want their kids watching TV while they are gone so they lock up the power cord.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

phenom5 wrote:Still loving my Panny 55" Plasma.
Feel the same about my Samsung. With Panasonic already discontinuing their plasma line, they'll be a rare bird soon enough:

Samsung Reportedly Ending Plasma TV Production
But no I am looking at upgrading my surround sound for the new house. Currently I have an older Onkyo 1250W 6.1 set up. Open to suggestions.
I'm rocking a Denon AVR-E400 7.1 and I love it. The speaker connections on the back are spring clips and there's no Wi-Fi (Ethernet only) which is low-end for such a nice receiver, but it has a ton of nice features:

* 90w x 7 channels @ .08 % THD
* 6 HDMI inputs/1 HDMI output
* Two-zone capability
* Audyssey Bronze built-in
* Airplay support
* Streams Pandora, Spotify, and SiriusXM
* 4K and 3D pass-through

I use the two-zone capability to power my Energy Take Classic 5.1 in the living room and a pair of Bose outdoor speakers on the patio. If you live near a Fry's Electronics, the AVR-E400 goes on sale there for $299 pretty often.
Kinda off topic, maybe, but there is a plug in the TV nook that essentially looks like a 3-prong plug sticking out of the wall (we didn't build the house, and we have no idea what it is). We'll find out what it is on Friday on our walk through, but curious if anybody has any clue. I'll see if I can get a pic.
Is there a three-prong outlet about 4 feet directly above the plug, maybe where a wall-mounted TV would go? There are wiring kits that allow you to plug an item (like a TV) into an outlet that you wire into a corresponding wall plug, that you then connect to a electrified outlet using female-to-male power cable. I did something similar when I mounted my plasma to avoid paying an electrician to put in a new box. Merk I think might have the right idea, though.
Formerly McLurvin
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

TheBlackLodge wrote:
Feel the same about my Samsung. With Panasonic already discontinuing their plasma line, they'll be a rare bird soon enough:

Samsung Reportedly Ending Plasma TV Production
Yeah, that sucks. To me, the picture quality of a plasma is so much better than an LCD (although 4K may change all of that). Trying to get as much life out of my plasma as I can...which I have to move today, so wish me luck.
TheBlackLodge wrote: Is there a three-prong outlet about 4 feet directly above the plug, maybe where a wall-mounted TV would go? There are wiring kits that allow you to plug an item (like a TV) into an outlet that you wire into a corresponding wall plug, that you then connect to a electrified outlet using female-to-male power cable. I did something similar when I mounted my plasma to avoid paying an electrician to put in a new box. Merk I think might have the right idea, though.
That is in fact what it is according to guy we did the walk through with. But the strange thing is that the house is a brand new build. It's not something that I or another home owner did, it's something that the builder did. Doesn't make sense to me, but whatever. His explanation was so they didn't have to wire the upper outlet hot...but if you plug it in isn't the wire going to be hot? Apparently it is common for home theater setups these days.