Pancreatic cancer

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BigSkyCatinMT

Pancreatic cancer

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Sucks.

Even more than Walmart.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
scumdevils86

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Post by scumdevils86 »

indeed it does. 2 of my dad's brothers died from it before age 60.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

scumdevils86 wrote:indeed it does. 2 of my dad's brothers died from it before age 60.
Sorry. Lost 3 GP's to cancer. Other one went more peacefully.

And, death comes with guilt for the financial burdens left behind.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Lost my Father In Law a few years ago and just lost a friend of mine around my same age (she had 2 small kids under 10 years old) to Pancreatic Cancer.

Fuck You Cancer.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Lost my father-in-law to PC. Happens very quickly.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Lost my grandma to it. She was my favorite person on the planet.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't know of anybody in my family with PC, but I lost my dad and my uncle to Leukemia and bladder cancer.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Lost my grandpa to it. It was quick and ruthless.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

My dad. Was officially classified as 'undiagnosed' but the speed and symptoms matched pancreatic. Pretty rough six months, but as cancer goes, that's fast.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Puerco wrote:My dad. Was officially classified as 'undiagnosed' but the speed and symptoms matched pancreatic. Pretty rough six months, but as cancer goes, that's fast.

Cousins wife was diagnosed, lasted just weeks at age 31. Best friend in H.S. had a biopsy at age 17. Never left the Hospital. My 3-pack a day 70-year old aunt has battled for 4 years and defies all odds. So many lifestyle changes. Diet. Diet is the killer. Just finding the things you can eat without puking...enjoying food no longer matters.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really hope you're not saying that you have been diagnosed?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Probably the worst cancer to have, I think the success rate of beating it is around 5% due to they can't detect it early enough. Here are the top-10 causes of this horrible disease

1.Cigarette smoking:illustration of person smokingCigarette smoking doubles the risk of pancreatic cancer. In fact, some scientists have estimated that one in four, or one in five cases of pancreatic cancer are caused by smoking cigarettes. Smoking is also associated with early age at diagnosis. Very importantly, the risk of pancreatic cancer drops close to normal in people who quit smoking. Simply put, cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of pancreatic cancer.
2.Age: The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases with age. Over 80% of pancreatic cancers develop between the ages of 60 and 80 years.
3.Race: Studies in the United States have shown that pancreatic cancer is more common in the African American population than it is in the white population. Some of this increased risk may be due to socioeconomic factors and to cigarette smoking.
4.Gender: Cancer of the pancreas is more common in men than in women. Men are more likely to smoke than women.
5.Religious background: Pancreatic cancer is proportionally more common in Ashkenazi Jews than the rest of the population. This may be because of a particular inherited mutation in the breast cancer gene (BRCA2) which runs in some Ashkenazi Jewish families.
6.Chronic pancreatitis: Long-term (chronic) inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) has been linked to cancer of the pancreas.
7.Diabetes mellitus: Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes) can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer, and long-standing adult-onset diabetes also increases the risk of pancreatic cancer.
8.Obesity: Obesity significantly increases the risk of pancreatic cancer. Believe it or not, it has been estimated that 8% of cancers are related to obesity.
9.Diet: Diets high in meats, cholesterol, fried foods and nitrosamines may increase risk, while diets high in fruits and vegetables reduce risk. The vitamin folate may be protective.
10.Genetics: As mentioned earlier, a number of inherited cancer syndromes increase the risk of pancreatic cancer. These include the breast cancer syndrome (BRCA2 and PALB2), familial atypical multiple mole melanoma syndrome (FAMMM), Lynch syndrome (also known as hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer syndrome), and the Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. More information about these syndromes is provided in the genetics section of this web page and on the web site of the National Familial Pancreas Tumor Registry.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Irish27 wrote:Probably the worst cancer to have, I think the success rate of beating it is around 5% due to they can't detect it early enough. Here are the top-10 causes of this horrible disease

1.Cigarette smoking:illustration of person smokingCigarette smoking doubles the risk of pancreatic cancer. In fact, some scientists have estimated that one in four, or one in five cases of pancreatic cancer are caused by smoking cigarettes. Smoking is also associated with early age at diagnosis. Very importantly, the risk of pancreatic cancer drops close to normal in people who quit smoking. Simply put, cigarette smoking is the leading preventable cause of pancreatic cancer.
2.Age: The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases with age. Over 80% of pancreatic cancers develop between the ages of 60 and 80 years.
3.Race: Studies in the United States have shown that pancreatic cancer is more common in the African American population than it is in the white population. Some of this increased risk may be due to socioeconomic factors and to cigarette smoking.
4.Gender: Cancer of the pancreas is more common in men than in women. Men are more likely to smoke than women.
5.Religious background: Pancreatic cancer is proportionally more common in Ashkenazi Jews than the rest of the population. This may be because of a particular inherited mutation in the breast cancer gene (BRCA2) which runs in some Ashkenazi Jewish families.
6.Chronic pancreatitis: Long-term (chronic) inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) has been linked to cancer of the pancreas.
7.Diabetes mellitus: Diabetes mellitus (sugar diabetes) can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer, and long-standing adult-onset diabetes also increases the risk of pancreatic cancer.
8.Obesity: Obesity significantly increases the risk of pancreatic cancer. Believe it or not, it has been estimated that 8% of cancers are related to obesity.
9.Diet: Diets high in meats, cholesterol, fried foods and nitrosamines may increase risk, while diets high in fruits and vegetables reduce risk. The vitamin folate may be protective.
10.Genetics: As mentioned earlier, a number of inherited cancer syndromes increase the risk of pancreatic cancer. These include the breast cancer syndrome (BRCA2 and PALB2), familial atypical multiple mole melanoma syndrome (FAMMM), Lynch syndrome (also known as hereditary non-polyposis colorectal cancer syndrome), and the Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. More information about these syndromes is provided in the genetics section of this web page and on the web site of the National Familial Pancreas Tumor Registry.
Then why Patrick Swayze?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Longhorned wrote:
Irish27 wrote:Probably the worst cancer to have, I think the success rate of beating it is around 5% due to they can't detect it early enough. Here are the top-10 causes of this horrible disease

Then why Patrick Swayze?
#1, smoking.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm starting to think smoking isn't healthy
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I'm starting to think smoking isn't healthy
We should probably do some kind of study.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Ugh. I wanted to ignore this thread but can't.

Lost my mother to PC over 20 years ago now. The fucking worst.

:(
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:
No need. Big Tobacco did one. Good to go.

Check out this old ad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/outrage ... rette-ads/
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:Ugh. I wanted to ignore this thread but can't.

Lost my mother to PC over 20 years ago now. The fucking worst.

:(
Emphysema for mine. But will my sisters stop smoking? No. Father in law has a hole in his throat. He did stop.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
azgreg wrote:
No need. Big Tobacco did one. Good to go.

Check out this old ad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/outrage ... rette-ads/
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Both my parents died from smoking. Heart disease & Lung cancer.
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Dr. Nicolas Gonzales has had success treating pancreatic cancer with diet change, pancreatic enzymes and detoxification using daily enemas. http://www.dr-gonzalez.com/history_of_treatment.htm The problem is that health insurance will not cover non standard approaches (slash/burn/ and poison). If I had pancreatic cancer, this is who I would go to. Give their office a call. What will it hurt?
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

It'll hurt your decedents who will inherit less upon your death because in your desperation you gave a ton of your money to a quack.
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

gumby

Post by gumby »

ALASKACAT wrote:Dr. Nicolas Gonzales has had success treating pancreatic cancer with diet change, pancreatic enzymes and detoxification using daily enemas. http://www.dr-gonzalez.com/history_of_treatment.htm The problem is that health insurance will not cover non standard approaches (slash/burn/ and poison). If I had pancreatic cancer, this is who I would go to. Give their office a call. What will it hurt?
That's not the problem. The problem is that he hasn't proven what you've stated to be true.

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRel ... er/kg.html
Conclusions

Neither Kelley nor Gonzalez has identified proposed toxins in processed food.
Neither has evidence that abnormal protein molecules from necrosing tumors are toxins or that they poison organs.
Neither has evidence that the toxins poison oxidative metabolism.
Neither has evidence that cancers thrive in an anaerobic environment.
Neither has shown that coffee enemas, megavitamin doses, and their special diets inhibit the progress of cancer.
Neither has produced evidence that a deficiency of pancreatic digestive enzymes is related to the onset of cancer.
Neither has produced evidence that enzymes from animal or vegetable sources can replace enzymes in human organs.
There is no evidence that ingested pancreatic enzymes seek out and kill cancer cells.
Neither has produced evidence that their regimens are more effective than a placebo for cancer.
Do you really think that insurance companies should be compelled to cover unproven remedies. If you were an insurer, would you?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Be careful with the terms "toxin" and "toxic." Everything can be toxic if you get too much. For instance, our drinking water has traces of arsenic. But there isn't enough to make it toxic.

On the other hand, if you drink an entire swimming pool of the stuff, you'll get sick. Even if it doesn't have arsenic.

So this whole "detox" movement rides this notion that just calling something a toxin triggers a response of, "Well. I better get rid of it!"

And the 5th Century coffee enema ensues. But be careful: might be "toxins" in that coffee!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Oxygen is toxic if you dig a 3 mile deep hole in the earth and stand at the bottom of it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

Water itself is toxic when ingested in great amounts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
History says, Don't hope
Of justice can rise up

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bruins01 wrote:Water itself is toxic when ingested in great amounts. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
It's too bad because that's one of my qwack cures for the common cold. You drink so much water so fast that you forget your own name, and then you quickly drink another couple of gallons. You literally have to pee every 30 seconds. You lose all of your electrolytes, and instant death is a real possibility, even a likelihood. But it's better than suffering from a cold, and it truly does cure it instantly. My wife made me quit, and rely instead on "plenty of fluids" the way your doctor and your grandmother intend it. Which doesn't work.
gumby

Post by gumby »

My grandmother gave us laxatives for any illness. Purge those toxins!
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I'm optimistic. 3-5 years. But that's me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:I'm optimistic. 3-5 years. But that's me.
Am I understanding you correctly? You've been diagnosed?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just heard that my son's former scout master died on Sunday from liver cancer which he was diagnosed with just 3 weeks ago.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

New scary word for the day. Hospice. Still in denial.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sorry to hear that Mtz. :(
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Our prayers are with you buddy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Got bless, MT.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Thanks guys. I have a 12 year old, hope I did enough.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn. Not what anyone wanted to hear...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Wow...

Thoughts are with you and your family.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm sorry to hear this Mtz, thinking of you and your family.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So sorry mtz. Hit my family a few years ago. We're all thinking of you.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I'm so sorry to hear this MT! My thoughts are with you & your family.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I feel so bad for you Mtz. I know you are so concerned about your family. I will pray for them.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Hoping for a miracle, MTZ.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Best of luck MTZ. Keep in touch with us all as you can. We're all praying for you, brother.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Roller coaster. Go from denial, to extreme optimism, then acceptance. Then anger. Then you put affairs in order just in case, Next, a health food binge. Much more optimistic today than yesterday. Maybe because I saw the sky and sun for the first time in weeks due to fires. Depression is common in Alaskan winter months...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hoping for the best for you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

scumdevils86 wrote:hoping for the best for you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
Thanks. Yesterday I was at the absolute bottom. Kept a bucket next to me all day. Better today. Just finished a 6 mile bike ride. What an up and down ride! What an experience to appreciate old things as if they were new all over again. Who knows which version of me awakens tomorrow?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

You are definitely in my prayers MT. I really hope you kick this cancer's ass. Please keep us updated. You really have to take it one day at a time and enjoy every day, something most of us take for granted.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Irish27 wrote:You are definitely in my prayers MT. I really hope you kick this cancer's ass. Please keep us updated. You really have to take it one day at a time and enjoy every day, something most of us take for granted.
3 really good days in a row. Can't remember the last time I had that many.

Volunteering my services at my sons school, now that it's in session. That has to be a help when it comes to my frame of mind.