Dinner Tonight

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Longhorned »

I had one of the best meals ever at a wedding in Philadelphia. It was a teriyaki sablefish.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Dinner was disgusting.

Now they're doing the Electric Slide.

Fuck
This
Shit
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Pork loin, roasted red potatoes, and roasted heirloom carrots.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Marcella Hazan's Sienese lemon chicken, pan-roasted potatoes, and salad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:Wow, you've got to try Mark Bittman's recipe for chicken sitr-fried with ketchup. Download the free ap (How to Cook Everything). I read his enthusiastic description 6 years ago but I never believed it. Finally I gave in and made it tonight. I almost cried when it was over, but then I decided to have seconds. Soooooo good.

Have it with steamed rice.

Redux. Couldn't stop thinking about it since the last time.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

A delicously simple mushroom, sour cream and a hint of fresh rosemary omelet. A perfectly composed nothing more nothing less type of dish from the talented GF.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I salted and peppered two whole branzino fish and am marinating them for a couple hours in olive oil, lemon juice, a sprig of rosemary, and bread crumbs. Then I'll grill over charcoal with bay leaves thrown over the the burning charcoal. This is how you do it in Ravenna.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Continued on my quest to perfect my grilled octopus recipe. Adding honey to the marinade was exactly what it needed. It was excellent.

I ended up chopping it up finely and making Taquitos de Pulpo Asado

Fresh corn tortillas
Octopus
Finely chopped cabbage
Finely chopped tomato and onion
Media crema

I also tried the Alton brown method of grilling steaks right on the hot coals (mentioned in an earlier post) on Saturday. It came out fine enough, but I really don't see any adbantage to cooking this way. More of a party trick. I'll continue to use the grill as it was intended.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The octopus is now an official destination dinner in Nogales.

You're the first I've ever heard of who tried the steak on the charcoal. Thanks for the report. I just won't bother.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Swordfish steaks with a sauce of olive oil, onion, celery, and capers. A Sicilian classic from a recipe by Marcella Hazan.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicken livers sauteed in wine and sage, celery and potatoes braised in olive oil and lemon juice. Marcella Hazan again.
Last edited by Longhorned on Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

grilled pork tenderloin. not sure what i'll put on it yet.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Which is faker? That pork, or that head on that body?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not fake...

http://sf.eater.com/2014/12/4/7334011/m ... -noahs-ark
For the Michael Mina's Tailgate party on Thanksgiving Day, David Varley (the chef of Mina's RN74 Seattle) oversaw the creation of what's alternately being called "Lambpigcow" or "Roast Beast," consisting of a side of Wagyu beef rolled over a deboned parade of meat: 24 quail, 12 chickens, eight ducks, six turkeys, two lambs, and a pig, all stuffed with chestnut-turkey sausage.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Longhorned wrote:Which is faker? That pork, or that head on that body?
For a second I thought it was the Alien from the old Martian Chronicles mini series.
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

Chicat wrote:Not fake...

For the Michael Mina's Tailgate party on Thanksgiving Day, David Varley (the chef of Mina's RN74 Seattle) oversaw the creation of what's alternately being called "Lambpigcow" or "Roast Beast," consisting of a side of Wagyu beef rolled over a deboned parade of meat: 24 quail, 12 chickens, eight ducks, six turkeys, two lambs, and a pig, all stuffed with chestnut-turkey sausage.
Not a fan in any way of mixed meats. I feel like they all need their own special care and method in preparation to achieve perfection.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gato Salvaje wrote:

Not a fan in any way of mixed meats. I feel like they all need their own special care and method in preparation to achieve perfection.
Agreed. Everything probably just tasted like bland red meat. Especially since the stuff you'd want cooked through is on the inside and the meat you'd like to see medium to rare is on the outside.

Plus, how long would you have to roast that thing? Three days? And I can only imagine the size and impreciseness of the meat thermometer.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Gato Salvaje wrote:

Agreed. Everything probably just tasted like bland red meat. Especially since the stuff you'd want cooked through is on the inside and the meat you'd like to see medium to rare is on the outside.

Plus, how long would you have to roast that thing? Three days? And I can only imagine the size and impreciseness of the meat thermometer.
I've still never tried "turducken" but it doesn't make any sense. Isn't the point of roasted duck to get that crisp outer skin? Why ruin a duck by surrounding it with a chicken and then stuffing both into an even less flavorful meat?

I don't even like mixed meats on a sandwich. l'll enjoy an Italian hoagie from time to time, but all those different cold cuts and salamis really do cancel each other out, and I usually just order a one-meat hoagie.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone ever purchase a side of beef?

I'm talking go to the ranch, pick out your free range grass fed cow, fork over the $$$, and then pick it up several months down the line, butchered, vacuum sealed, and ready to go? Store the remainder in a meat freezer for several months of consumption?

I'm seriously thinking of doing this when I get to Sacramento.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone ever purchase a side of beef?

I'm talking go to the ranch, pick out your free range grass fed cow, fork over the $$$, and then pick it up several months down the line, butchered, vacuum sealed, and ready to go? Store the remainder in a meat freezer for several months of consumption?

Share it with your neighbors, even if you only get a quarter cow. You'll be shocked at how much meat you get.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:I've still never tried "turducken" but it doesn't make any sense. Isn't the point of roasted duck to get that crisp outer skin? Why ruin a duck by surrounding it with a chicken and then stuffing both into an even less flavorful meat?
Was the Turducken an invention from the vacuous mind of John Madden? Anyway, the first four letters are "TURD". No thanks...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd be afraid that if I did that, there would be some kind of storm with such an extensive power outage that would all thaw. And then I'd have to re-freeze it, which would screw with texture and taste, and then I'd have to try not to notice that all this meat that I'm eating for the next six months isn't as good as what I can buy from the Ralph's.

So I'd rather just get half a pig's worth of cured pork to enjoy through the winter. A big old leg of proscuitto, a cured loin, a long roll of pancetta, and jowls.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

I've never done that. But I have seen a chest freezer stuffed full of beef from just a portion of a recently butchered cow. I was kinda surprised how much meat there was, and how little of the cow it actually represented.

After having tasted some of that meat at a barbeque (several times) I will say that straight from the ranch to a freezer tastes quite a bit different than the stuff in the grocery store.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Picked up a pound of sashimi grade yellowtail. Making a carpaccio. Just the tuna, the juice of 4 lemons, salt, pepper, and a garnish of celery heart, olives, and capers. I'm going to put it in the freezer first to firm it up and make it nice and cold before I slice it.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Grilled chicken, a grilled Portabella mushroom cap and some frozen vegetables. Again. Still delicious, though.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Steak (that my wife murdered), baked red potatoes, and French cut green beans.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Had some leftover pancetta...cooked it up and put it in an egg salad sammich on good white bread. Mmm
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks for the tips! I'm actually thinking quarter cow, because right now I am the only meat eater in the family. Chi and POM, you echo what I've heard where the quarter cow is actually more meat than you think.

I hear you LH. Part of me wants to support local farmers, part of me wants to take a drive to the sticks for pick up, part of me wants to cut meat costs.

FTR...I'm looking for a hobby starting in the fall. I'm thinking of picking up hunting for 2016, primarily because I think it would be awesome to cook with game that I felled. I don't come from a hunting family, but my love of cooking and locavore tastes are pushing me in that direction.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

London Broil with a black pepper crust grilled to medium rare perfection on the Weber kettle.

Properly rested and sliced thinly on the bias.

Then I put salt and more pepper on it.

Then I dabbed it in an A-1/horseradish slurry.

Because that's the way I like it.

So all you a-hole steak purists can suck it.

With a kitchen sink salad dressed in my own thyme vinaigrette.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Last night I followed Marcella Hazan's (and now Giuliano Hazan's) advice to use salmon for Sicilian and Italian fish recipes when in the U.S. I made a salmon alla stimpirata: olive oil, onions, celery, lovage, capers, vinegar.

Tonight I'm making Greek salad.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Two whole branzino fish marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, and bread crumbs, and grilled over charcoal with some bread and salad.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whats the deal with Branzino?

Why is it starting to garner such huge buzz?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If I have an egg on a cheeseburger is it then a breakfast item?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Whats the deal with Branzino?

Why is it starting to garner such huge buzz?
Probably because it started going by an Italian name. People will trust anything that sounds Italian. It's the same fish as "loup de mer" and "European sea bass."

It's a pretty tasty fish. The great thing about it is that a whole fish weighs about one pound, so each person can sit down with a whole fish on his plate, like when you're in a restaurant somewhere along the Mediterranean. A 1-pound fish is totally manageable on a charcoal grill, and it's easy to marinate. How else can you do this? A trout? Sometimes you want to eat a whole fish from the sea.

Last edited by Longhorned on Fri May 29, 2015 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:If I have an egg on a cheeseburger is it then a breakfast item?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Considering Chipotle has been featured on this thread. . . http://kitchenette.jezebel.com/chipotle ... 1709693174
On Friday, Chipotle announced they’d soon be offering sick days, paid vacation, and tuition reimbursement for all employees—not just salaried workers.

According to Nation’s Restaurant News, the new programs will begin July 1. While Chipotle has long offered these benefits to salaried employees, this is an interesting step towards treating fast food workers like actual human beings. Then again, Chipotle has recently shown a keen (and somewhat unique within the industry) awareness for which way the wind of public opinion is blowing, even when that public opinion is blowing due Stupid. McDonald’s moved somewhat in this direction earlier this year in allowing workers to accrue vacation time, but a) the employees had to have been with the company for a year to start racking it up, and more importantly, b) it only applied to non-franchise locations (corporate stores make up only a fraction of the total number of McDonald’s locations). Chipotle, fairly unusually within the industry, does not franchise.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Father's Day dinner of ribs, beans, whole wheat pasta salad and corn on the cob courtesy of the GF and my middle daughter. Finger lickin' good. Had to floss and rinse my beard after. Washed it down with a couple of these Shiner Prickly Pear Lagers. Very dry with just a hint of the fruit - more in the nose than on the palette.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Nothing to report now, but my camping trip this weekend reminds me that some of the best meals I've had were on camping trips.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

london broil on the grill one night this weekend....also braised lamb should chops in wine and herbs
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicken noodle soup
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Nothing to report now, but my camping trip this weekend reminds me that some of the best meals I've had were on camping trips.
There's the question of eating outside (or "dining al fresco" for all of you snobbish jackasses). And then there's the question of eating outside in the fresh air of the woods. Just takes it all to a different level. As long is it isn't the freeze-dried pseudo-food at the end of a long hike.

Tonight: bucatini all'Amatriciana.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Is that sorta like spaghetti with red sauce?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yes.

Anybody ever buy those $7 cans of imported Italian San Marzano tomatoes. They're awesome! Almost as good as those cans of Hunts tomatoes you get for 99 cents.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:Yes.

Anybody ever buy those $7 cans of imported Italian San Marzano tomatoes. They're awesome! Almost as good as those cans of Hunts tomatoes you get for 99 cents.
I buy the $1.99 sprouts brand san marzano tomatoes. makes me feel fancy without spending triple the amount.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Yes.

I buy the $1.99 sprouts brand san marzano tomatoes. makes me feel fancy without spending triple the amount.
I was at a "fine foods" store today and made due with the $7 can instead of making a special trip to the supermarket. I felt awful doing it because I've already concluded that Hunt's is the best canned tomato in the history of humankind.

Trader Joe's are awful. Hard, flavorless fruit floating in water.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Spaghetti with homemade meat sauce, garlic bread, a salad and a bottle of Pinot Noir. Can't wait for it to be ready.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Picked up some locally-made Amish cherry bratwürsts and potato salad. Grilled up the sausages and made a cucumber salad to go with. Cost: $7 for dinner for me and the wife. Spectacular.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Braised lamb with mashed potatoes and the red wine and herb gravy....marvelous