Meat Eating

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Meat Eating

Post by Chicat »

I feel for you. Beyond the whole vegan thing, who stays with friends for a week?? Get a goddamn hotel if you're staying more than three nights and you're not immediate family.

"Fish and house guests smell after three days."

- 16th Century Proverb
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:I feel for you. Beyond the whole vegan thing, who stays with friends for a week?? Get a goddamn hotel if you're staying more than three nights and you're not immediate family.

"Fish and house guests smell after three days."

- 16th Century Proverb
He's not a friend. He's a post-doc in the institute where my wife works, and he needs to visit to collaborate with his research team. So it's up to her to say no, but she says yes. He keeps doing things that I have to ask him not to do, like take conference video calls on the couch next to me while I'm working. He just now sat down on a 19th century Chinese chest.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is he American?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Canadian, so yeah, practically American, unless Canadians have some kind of visitor-as-dictator culture I don't know about. I have such a cold "leave me alone" vibe toward him that I regret it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Longhorned wrote:
Longhorned wrote:What do you do when a vegan comes to stay at your house for several days? When you have a guest staying with you, it's normal that you cook for them, so in this case you have to cook vegan. Last time this guy stayed with us -- for a week -- I eventually started to get angry from the stress of having to put together meals that meet all the ridiculous, strict requirements. He's coming again for a week next week. My solution is to avoid cooking the whole time he's here. Just get take-out the whole time and eat in restaurants, let him get what he wants, and pretend not to notice that he's uncomfortable with me eating normal food in front of him like fish and meat and butter and stuff. My wife can make her own choices with whatever she orders.
He's back. Pure hell. A whole week. It's so ****ing rude to stay in somebody's house and act like there's something wrong with their food, making them bend over backwards to impose your ****ing weird restriction. As a thank you for letting him stay with us, he's taking us out to dinner at vegan restaurant tonight. More hell. And as is common with these weird diets, he hypocritically gets up in the night and eats the things he claims not to eat when nobody's looking. I find the evidence of his yogurt and milk consumption in the night, and yet I'm supposed to bend over backwards and keep butter and cheese out of everyone's food, and eat with him in a vegan restaurant, all for the pretense of keeping up his bizarre and untenable lifestyle that's supposedly a sign of his high level of "discipline" and "humane choices"? Sorry I'm so undisciplined and inhumane.

I'm so ready to make a stand against this vegan crap. It shouldn't be viewed as socially acceptable.
I'd offer him to select and enjoy from whatever is being served at your table, and offer him to order carry-out or make other arrangements otherwise....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:Canadian, so yeah, practically American, unless Canadians have some kind of visitor-as-dictator culture I don't know about. I have such a cold "leave me alone" vibe toward him that I regret it.
Yeah, he's American. Was thinking this was some kind of Greek or Turkish or Spanish culture thing where you kiss each other on the cheeks constantly and they stay wih you for a month.

Go the vegan route, but spike his veggie kabobs with a diahhretic. Then when he's shitting his brains out for three days mumble something about, "maybe it was something you ate?" around bites of a medium rare burger. Your bathroom will likely be destroyed, but at least you'll regain dominion as master of your own fucking house.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i find the Canadian social construct to be much different -- and to what Chi said, anybody over the age of 30 is not allowed to stay at a friends house for more than 48 hours (2nights) unless there is a critical situation -- generally speaking, either a health or financially related situation or a unique personal extenuating circumstance.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote:i find the Canadian social construct to be much different -- and to what Chi said, anybody over the age of 30 is not allowed to stay at a friends house for more than 48 hours (2nights) unless there is a critical situation -- generally speaking, either a health or financially related situation or a unique personal extenuating circumstance.
Agreed. This is why when I build my retirement home it will only have one bedroom. There will be a guest cottage about 50 feet away.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Okay, I just discovered that he left his ear buds -- the things that go inside of his ears -- on my clean dish drying rack. Is this one of those things where all of you think that's normal? Eating from a vessel that has your guest's ear wax on it? Is eating your guest's ear wax more acceptable than having your guest see you eat a chicken sandwich?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:Okay, I just discovered that he left his ear buds -- the things that go inside of his ears -- on my clean dish drying rack. Is this one of those things where all of you think that's normal? Eating from a vessel that has your guest's ear wax on it? Is eating your guest's ear wax more acceptable than having your guest see you eat a chicken sandwich?
sounds like you found some trash to me?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Okay, I just discovered that he left his ear buds -- the things that go inside of his ears -- on my clean dish drying rack. Is this one of those things where all of you think that's normal? Eating from a vessel that has your guest's ear wax on it? Is eating your guest's ear wax more acceptable than having your guest see you eat a chicken sandwich?
sounds like you found some trash to me?
Yep. "Earbuds? What earbuds? And who leaves earbuds on a drying rack where clean dishes go? Silly Canuck..."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hot off the news wire.

Research Points To Mental Health Risks Associated With Meatless Diet

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/1 ... ilsfeed%29" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

By the way, you guys are welcome in my home anytime. The only thing I ask in return is to let me grill some giant, bone-in rib eyes for you to wash down with lots of Goose Island Honker's Ale.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:By the way, you guys are welcome in my home anytime. The only thing I ask in return is to let me grill some giant, bone-in rib eyes for you to wash down with lots of Goose Island Honker's Ale.
Does it come with a salad?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:By the way, you guys are welcome in my home anytime. The only thing I ask in return is to let me grill some giant, bone-in rib eyes for you to wash down with lots of Goose Island Honker's Ale.
Does it come with a salad?
No salad. Steak and duck-fat fries. Then apple pie with lots of butter in the crust.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I'm eating a giant slab of perfectly rare rump roast I made last night for lunch today. Lovely au jus and horseradish on top. Mmm mmm
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Should provide meat for the family for the winter.
Attachments
20151107_095150 compresssed.jpeg
20151107_095150 compresssed.jpeg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ Nice rack CD!

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Nicer Rack Merk. I'll trade ya.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Of course it's socially acceptable to be a vegan. But it shouldn't be socially acceptable to come visit someone and expect them to convert to your set of individual values. He should arrange his own food.

Oh, and 'Earbuds, meet Mr. Garbage Disposal!'
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I decided that anything set on a dish rack should be treated as dishes so I bleached them. I hope that was okay.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Stolen from Myq Kaplan, but still funny.

gumby

Post by gumby »

What's wrong with Vegans? Sure, Las Vegas is a weird city, but the people are people, just like you and me.

Right where I want to be.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

The Beef Whisperer. . .http://www.foodbeast.com/news/tym-ff-chips/" target="_blank
The most expensive meat in the world is offered by a Frenchman who goes so far as to speaking to his cattle daily so that they are calm and relaxed.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:The Beef Whisperer. . .http://www.foodbeast.com/news/tym-ff-chips/" target="_blank
The most expensive meat in the world is offered by a Frenchman who goes so far as to speaking to his cattle daily so that they are calm and relaxed.
"I will kill you when you least expect it."
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With tri-tip so cheap now, another option besides roaching it on the grill is to make taco meat. Just slow and low in a dutch oven.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Christmas Eve tacos?
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

There's no team in meat. Wait.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:With tri-tip so cheap now, another option besides roaching it on the grill is to make taco meat. Just slow and low in a dutch oven.
I wanna bbq with you Merk!

Merry Christmas.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Longhorned wrote:Christmas Eve tacos?
Yes sir. I had two. Ground sirloin with onion, garlic and red pepper flakes.

Tradition!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've changed the way I grill tri-tip. No more marinade. Just salt and pepper, get a good sear over charcoal, and then move it to a slightly cooler part of the grill and let it finish cooking.

I like tri-tip and skirt steak even more than rib-eye now. I've also decided that sirloin is way underrated. Such a great flavor. My expensive meat cut snobbery has been a complete waste of my life.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

All I buy in beef is tri-tip for the most part. Often goes on sale for $2.99 so I stock up.

This is all I use. Tastes the same as Suzie Q's, but is less than half the price. $3.99 at Costco v. $10.99.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Good. Fuck plants.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Where I live, tri-tip costs $9.99 a pound and I've never seen it on sale.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine the west coast grabs it all. Used to be all the tri-tip was shipped out to the central coast, then other regions heard of it.

Probably the same reason I can't get brisket. Maybe seen it twice the last 20 years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I rarely see brisket in Tucson. And I need one soon to make a corned beef.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wow, we should totally make a trade. For us it's all brisket, all the time.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Longhorned wrote:I've changed the way I grill tri-tip. No more marinade. Just salt and pepper, get a good sear over charcoal, and then move it to a slightly cooler part of the grill and let it finish cooking.

I like tri-tip and skirt steak even more than rib-eye now. I've also decided that sirloin is way underrated. Such a great flavor. My expensive meat cut snobbery has been a complete waste of my life.
I've always preferred the leaner cuts. I was raised on mesquite grilled London Broil from the Weber Kettle. I understand the fat is flavor concept, but I've never really enjoyed a ribeye. Too fatty for me. I braised some beef short ribs in a clay vessel a couple of weeks ago and they turned out great technically speaking, but I was really put off by how fatty they were.

Sirloin is great. Just had the 16 oz. Cowboy cut sirloin at Texas Roadhouse the other night. Nice grill marks, medium-rare, salt and pepper. Not a speck of fat. Excellent flavor. Perfect. I never marinade a London Broil - salt and pepper, maybe some garlic. I go about 7-9 minutes a side, depending on thickness, over direct heat, then remove, cover and rest while making the salad and putting together whatever else is happening. Slice thinly on the bias. Perfect medium to medium-rare every time. People rave.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thanks BD89. I'm hungry now. I honestly think I just forgot how great char-grilled beef can be, because I forgot that the best stuff I ever had was from the "cheaper" cuts. Even at Sparks Steakhouse, the signature cut is a prime sirloin. I do like fattier cuts, and I just flat-out like fat, but "fat = flavor" isn't entirely true according to my mouth. They're more tender, and the taste is great, but to me the beefsteakier flavor is in the top round, flank, skirt, tri-tip, and sirloin. Give me those and some marrow bones on the side. I have no interest in filet mignon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Eating here tonight: http://togrp.com/restaurant/stk-chicago/" target="_blank

So I'm glad I bumped this thread.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Eating here tonight: http://togrp.com/restaurant/stk-chicago/" target="_blank

Now that's a business dinner. Looks like it'll be out of this world.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Eating here tonight: http://togrp.com/restaurant/stk-chicago/" target="_blank

We have a $5k credit with the restaurant. There are 11 of us. How soon will we need to bust out a credit card?

(A nice Common Core math problem for ya...)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Wow, we should totally make a trade. For us it's all brisket, all the time.
I don't think this is what you're looking for.

http://meattraders.com/" target="_blank
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

We have a $5k credit with the restaurant. There are 11 of us. How soon will we need to bust out a credit card?
I'll start with a Greyhound and the two babes in the upper left corner . . .
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

BearDown89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I'll start with a Greyhound and the two babes in the upper left corner . . .
You're going to need the credit card before the menu gets to the table.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Good. Fuck plants.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

BearDown89 wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I've changed the way I grill tri-tip. No more marinade. Just salt and pepper, get a good sear over charcoal, and then move it to a slightly cooler part of the grill and let it finish cooking.

I've always preferred the leaner cuts. I was raised on mesquite grilled London Broil from the Weber Kettle. I understand the fat is flavor concept, but I've never really enjoyed a ribeye. Too fatty for me. I braised some beef short ribs in a clay vessel a couple of weeks ago and they turned out great technically speaking, but I was really put off by how fatty they were.

Sirloin is great. Just had the 16 oz. Cowboy cut sirloin at Texas Roadhouse the other night. Nice grill marks, medium-rare, salt and pepper. Not a speck of fat. Excellent flavor. Perfect. I never marinade a London Broil - salt and pepper, maybe some garlic. I go about 7-9 minutes a side, depending on thickness, over direct heat, then remove, cover and rest while making the salad and putting together whatever else is happening. Slice thinly on the bias. Perfect medium to medium-rare every time. People rave.
A simple grilled and/or smoked london broil is one of my all time favorite dinners.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

I feel like you're doing something terribly wrong to your rib-eye. Sirloin?