Hotel Desks

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Coop Cat

Hotel Desks

Post by Coop Cat »

Pretty interesting article/blog on the removal of desks from hotels. Personally, I am fond of a desk in a hotel to use as a computer space, bar, or just an extra area to put stuff:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/201 ... nials.html
Longhorned

Re: Hotel Desks

Post by Longhorned »

Plus, where am I supposed to eat my room service food? On the bed?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Plus, where am I supposed to eat my room service food? On the bed?
Over the sink like a real man.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i may be having a moment, but im used to my room-service being carted in the room, table and linen provided.

am i off base on this one?
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

97cats wrote:i may be having a moment, but im used to my room-service being carted in the room, table and linen provided.

You're not staying at a Marriot. I did once, once. Life's too short to travel and stay in a shitty room.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:i may be having a moment, but im used to my room-service being carted in the room, table and linen provided.

Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. are always the kind of hotel where conferences in my line of work are held. The carry in a big tray and say, "Where shall I set it?"

And when somebody like the Getty or Berkeley invites me to come give a talk, they fly me out economy class and they put me up at the Marriott. Not that I get room service in that situation, but still.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote:

Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. are always the kind of hotel where conferences in my line of work are held. The carry in a big tray and say, "Where shall I set it?"

And when somebody like the Getty or Berkeley invites me to come give a talk, they fly me out economy class and they put me up at the Marriott. Not that I get room service in that situation, but still.
that makes sense -- and hence, where the hell are you supposed to eat your room service if there is no desk?

damn millennials and their no need attitude, fuckin so much shit up for the rest of us!!!
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Longhorned wrote:Plus, where am I supposed to eat my room service food? On the bed?
Great point on the room service. I did not even think about that one. I am a big room service fan. Especially a late night burger or eggs benedict in the morning!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I love eating room service in bed.

Its awesome to wake up realizing you've slept on top of a few fallen french fries. Midnight snack without even moving
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Alieberman wrote:I love eating room service in bed.

Its awesome to wake up realizing you've slept on top of a few fallen french fries. Midnight snack without even moving
Same here, Alieberman. Nothing like it.

When I was in a real job, my travel MO was to get the job done with groups of people during the day and then politely decline to join the very traditional "Let's have dinner and then some drinks later" invite.

Then back to the room to order some tasty stuff and a couple of cold ones, call my wife and kids, and turn the set on to some hoops.

Spend all day working intensely with people, then continue into the late hours? No thanks.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've never been in a hotel room without a desk and I've been in some crappy hotels.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Room service and ESPN or the NBA on TNT with no wife to interrupt or tell me what I can't eat. Critics rave.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:I've never been in a hotel room without a desk and I've been in some crappy hotels.

The more expensive the room, the less free amenities that are included.

This is why I love Embassy Suites.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:
azgreg wrote:I've never been in a hotel room without a desk and I've been in some crappy hotels.

The more expensive the room, the less free amenities that are included.

This is why I love Embassy Suites.
I'm a fan of Embassy Suites as well along with Best Western.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Embassy Suites is the best if you have young kids. Separate room and free happy hour? Yes please!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Residence inn is the tits. House like condition and tons of free stuff. Happy hours pizza nights food trucks, they all have it. Real breakfast with waffles and omlets and tons of good stuff. Lots of time the hotel is connected or near a bad ass local bar and grill.

The one in champagne Il is the nicest one I ever been in.

Now marriot courtyard is where fun goes to die.