Orange County, CA

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

cats101

Orange County, CA

Post by cats101 »

Hello SoCal Cats!! I’m aware that the UofA has a big presence of alumni in the area so I thought I’d start here instead of a random relo forum. I don’t know much about OC outside of the day I spent in the area for the interview. I was offered the position and was hoping for a little input. I’ve only been to LA (some family there) and San Diego, so I literally don’t know much about this area.

I’m currently budgeting for about $1800 for rent, give or take. The position is in Irvine, which is somewhat of my dilemma. Being 29 and single, it doesn’t sound like somewhere I would want to live outside of a short commute. Based on the research I’ve done Costa Mesa sounds like an area I would want to live? LA and Long Beach sound like too long of a commute. Party hard days are behind me, but I still like to go out occasionally, so looking for a fairly active nightlife. I think I would prefer to live as close to the beach (HB or NB?) as possible but I realize the cost that comes with it.

Any general input on the area, places to go, eat, things I should know etc would be appreciated!
Merkin

Re: Orange County, CA

Post by Merkin »

Are you planning on getting a roommate? Not sure what you can get for $1800 in the OC that's in a decent neighborhood.

SoCal residents can buy a yearly pass to Disneyland for $399 but there are quite a few blockout dates including the entire summer.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i live in newport beach

costa mesa is great

1800 will be tough

do not live in LA and commute, doesnt work.

there are apartments along the Jamboree corridor that are very nice and well located, again not sure anything south of 2k is gonna do it.

let me know what else...ive been here almost 14 years now.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

First time there?

Go down to the jungle in Newport Beach and live with roommates in a beach house. Do it for six months. If you hate it then do something else, but do that first.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Buddy of mine worked in Irvine and lived at Villa Coronado Apartment Homes. Nice complex and I believe he was paying $1800 for 1bd1ba but that was 2 years ago. Really nice area, right next to the 405 and minutes from the coast. He loved mountain biking out there
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Thanks for the input guys. I am willing to stretch to 2k but depends on what the complex is offering (as in amenities). It's just me, so a 1bed/1bath will do. I was once paying 1150 in Oro Valley with a salary half (plus a little more) of the current offer and lived fairly "comfortable" though the above makes me a little nervous because of other expenses outside of rent (taxes, gas, etc)

Any thoughts on the Santa Ana area? Reading around it seems spotty.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

....maybe I should consider a roommate :lol: :?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Climate is fantastic, crime rate is OK, cost of living for SoCal is pretty good.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Santa-Ana-California.html" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

cats101 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I am willing to stretch to 2k but depends on what the complex is offering (as in amenities). It's just me, so a 1bed/1bath will do. I was once paying 1150 in Oro Valley with a salary half (plus a little more) of the current offer and lived fairly "comfortable" though the above makes me a little nervous because of other expenses outside of rent (taxes, gas, etc)

my office is in Santa Ana and it can be a little rough but there are areas that are pretty cool, there is an up and coming arts district in downtown that has potential - lots of effort and money being put into it but its still evolving if ya know what i mean.

Huntington Beach or Fountain Valley is going to give you the closest thing to beach living in an affordable (i say that for California) manor and still be close to Irvine w/out having to move to true south county.

Tustin and Irvine are more residential and family oriented places - Costa Mesa does have some areas where the rent is cheaper, you just need to go closer to SCP or in the mesa verde area and those are not close to the beach.

i own a few houses in Newport that i rent - one of my three bedrooms in Lido Marina goes for 5k/month and i have a waiting list.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

First off Orange County to me is the greatest place to live on earth and there is not a close second. Weather, ease, quality of life are amazing. Taxes and cost of living sucks but it’s a diverse area that once you get bored with an urban area is unbeatable

Send me a PM, my company o wns a bunch of apartments in newport in a bullseye location off westcliff and Dover. We are going to remodel them but we could do a 6 month lease with you while you get your feet set for a good price. Always will take care of a Wildcat. It’s the best area to live in and think 97 would agree as it’s close to the beach, bars, etc but not in the jungle as sccats cAlls it. At 29 you don’t want to live there anymore. My
Favorite bar the wild goose is in walking distance

Send me a PM and I will connect you to my property manager. I will tell them to cut you the best deal possible. Be a nice place to move in short term while you get your feet set. If need be we could do something longer and take care of you.

I am born and raised here so between 97 and I, we can give you the full pay of the land
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Jefe wrote:Buddy of mine worked in Irvine and lived at Villa Coronado Apartment Homes. Nice complex and I believe he was paying $1800 for 1bd1ba but that was 2 years ago. Really nice area, right next to the 405 and minutes from the coast. He loved mountain biking out there

Thank you thank you for this. Looked this up and it's in my top 5 when I come search next week. Expanded my budget a bit and this place is now about $1900 but offers a detached garage and some nice amenities with proximity to work and attractive amenities in the area.
97cats wrote:
cats101 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I am willing to stretch to 2k but depends on what the complex is offering (as in amenities). It's just me, so a 1bed/1bath will do. I was once paying 1150 in Oro Valley with a salary half (plus a little more) of the current offer and lived fairly "comfortable" though the above makes me a little nervous because of other expenses outside of rent (taxes, gas, etc)

my office is in Santa Ana and it can be a little rough but there are areas that are pretty cool, there is an up and coming arts district in downtown that has potential - lots of effort and money being put into it but its still evolving if ya know what i mean.

Huntington Beach or Fountain Valley is going to give you the closest thing to beach living in an affordable (i say that for California) manor and still be close to Irvine w/out having to move to true south county.

Tustin and Irvine are more residential and family oriented places - Costa Mesa does have some areas where the rent is cheaper, you just need to go closer to SCP or in the mesa verde area and those are not close to the beach.

i own a few houses in Newport that i rent - one of my three bedrooms in Lido Marina goes for 5k/month and i have a waiting list.
Appreciate the input. I have one targeted apartment next door to the Santa Ana Downtown area. Seems reasonbly priced, upgraded and in a cool artsy upcoming area. Also found a spot I'm targeting in the Mesa Verde area. Shocked by the price (seems low?). Having a rough time finding something in my budget with W/D next to SCP though.
Newportcat wrote:First off Orange County to me is the greatest place to live on earth and there is not a close second. Weather, ease, quality of life are amazing. Taxes and cost of living sucks but it’s a diverse area that once you get bored with an urban area is unbeatable

Send me a PM, my company o wns a bunch of apartments in newport in a bullseye location off westcliff and Dover. We are going to remodel them but we could do a 6 month lease with you while you get your feet set for a good price. Always will take care of a Wildcat. It’s the best area to live in and think 97 would agree as it’s close to the beach, bars, etc but not in the jungle as sccats cAlls it. At 29 you don’t want to live there anymore. My

Send me a PM and I will connect you to my property manager. I will tell them to cut you the best deal possible. Be a nice place to move in short term while you get your feet set. If need be we could do something longer and take care of you.

I am born and raised here so between 97 and I, we can give you the full pay of the land
Awesome, I remember your name and was hoping you'd provide input. Searched City Data and Reddit but most active post seemed 3 years old. Was hoping I could connect with fellow Wildcats with updated views of the area. I will send a DM. Coming down soon.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

cats101 wrote:Thank you thank you for this. Looked this up and it's in my top 5 when I come search next week. Expanded my budget a bit and this place is now about $1900 but offers a detached garage and some nice amenities with proximity to work and attractive amenities in the area.
Ya there's a huge wall so you can't really hear the freeway traffic. Really nice area with some small lakes but the coolest part was all the roads around it are 50mph. Being from Tucson that blew me away. We ate at the Ruby's with the lake view every morning ha.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:First off Orange County to me is the greatest place to live on earth and there is not a close second. Weather, ease, quality of life are amazing. Taxes and cost of living sucks but it’s a diverse area that once you get bored with an urban area is unbeatable

I grew up in Orange County (Laguna Beach), and wouldn't go back for love or money. There's no there there. Orange County, all of it, is a totally bland expanse of nothing. No history, no character, no nada. Just expanses of housing developments, shopping centers, and freeways. The weather? Who the fuck chooses a place to live based on the weather? And, by the way, Newport Beach is still the super plastic anus of America.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

MrMeow wrote:

I grew up in Orange County (Laguna Beach), and wouldn't go back for love or money. There's no there there. Orange County, all of it, is a totally bland expanse of nothing. No history, no character, no nada. Just expanses of housing developments, shopping centers, and freeways. The weather? Who the fuck chooses a place to live based on the weather? And, by the way, Newport Beach is still the super plastic anus of America.
Haven't read a better description
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote: The weather? Who the fuck chooses a place to live based on the weather?
Uhhh, me?

Why do you want to be stuck inside all winter or all summer? I love being outside barbecuing all year round, or just puttering around the yard. I have no AC and my heater runs less than 99% of the country.

I am just not a person who likes to spend a large amount of time indoors. No one watches less TV than I do.

Your mileage may vary.

And I have had some very good friends and relatives who loves winter, and loves being indoors.

It's just not me.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:
MrMeow wrote: The weather? Who the fuck chooses a place to live based on the weather?
Uhhh, me?

Why do you want to be stuck inside all winter or all summer? I love being outside barbecuing all year round, or just puttering around the yard. I have no AC and my heater runs less than 99% of the country.

I am just not a person who likes to spend a large amount of time indoors. No one watches less TV than I do.

Your mileage may vary.

And I have had some very good friends and relatives who loves winter, and loves being indoors.

It's just not me.

People in Tucson are not stuck inside all summer. It's not like Phoenix hot. It actually cools off at night, especially in the higher areas.

It's often 15 degrees cooler at 10:00 at night at my house in Vail vs. my old house in Chandler.

I went out for a job interview in Northridge last summer. It was just as hot as Tucson there.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

MrMeow wrote:

Where do you live now?

I actually think there are many areas of character now in Orange County. Laguna is great, downtown Santa Ana is very cool as is downtown orange. Anti mall and the lab are really cool as is Soco. Tons of things to do outdoors and it’s a great place to raise a family as it’s diverse with great public schools.

Sure it can be somewhat bland in areas but when you are in your late 30’s with kids it’s awesome.

And weather to me is a huge deal. I have friends who live in Phoenix and there summers with their kids sound awful. Now I don’t love laguna as I feel like it’s boxed in and so isolated
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Uhhh, me?

Your mileage may vary.

It's just not me.
People in Tucson are not stuck inside all summer. It's not like Phoenix hot. It actually cools off at night, especially in the higher areas.

It's often 15 degrees cooler at 10:00 at night at my house in Vail vs. my old house in Chandler.

I went out for a job interview in Northridge last summer. It was just as hot as Tucson there.
Valley sucks and would much rather live in Tucson
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Merkin wrote:
Uhhh, me?

Your mileage may vary.

It's just not me.
Totally agree with this

I love to golf and love being able to do that year round in SoCal

Also love to bbq

My mom is from Chicago and would tell you weather is a major reason she moved to California
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Well different strokes for different folks but I'm sure many more people would rather live in in a mild climate than a really hot or really cold climate. I know something who actually enjoys Seattle's weather, so it's based on preference. This is why Arizona has snow birds during the winter and the area empties during summer.

On that note I chose a spot just north of the Irvine Business Complex/Jamboree area. Had a few listed areas in various spots around the County (HB/NPB/Irvine/Costa Mesa/Santa Ana) but this particular one fit my needs/wants. Around 1900 instead of 1800 but I was willing to stretch depending on the spot. My favorite place on paper was an apartment near Downtown Santa Ana, but when I got there, tons of homeless people roaming the area. Nothing against them but for what I'm going to pay I dont want homeless people wondering around the complex I live in. Maybe I'll give updates along the way with my love/hate for the area. No place is perfect.

I have family/friends in LA/Bay Area/San Diego area so I'm excited to branch out when free. Moving Saturday, super pumped!
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Nice and good luck on the move!

Agree with your thoughts on downtown Santa Ana to live but definitely explore it as great restaurants and bars there

Let me know if I can be of any help once you settle in, restaurant recommendations things to do etc
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Don’t know where to put this, but what is going on at the Santa Ana racetrack?

23 horses euthanized since 12/26? And after a one month closure?

Yikes...
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Don’t know where to put this, but what is going on at the Santa Ana racetrack?

Yikes...
You mean Santa Anita?

That’s in LA
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I read that too Newport - 23 deaths since Dec.

Some people are saying it's the track but there is no evidence at this point.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whoops, my mistake, Santa Anita racetrack.

Mods feel free to move.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe wrote:Don’t know where to put this, but what is going on at the Santa Ana racetrack?

Yikes...
Maybe Taco Bell is short on meat.

On a serious note Turf Paradise went through the same thing before.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

While I do love horses, I do also admit that horse meat is delicious.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote:I read that too Newport - 23 deaths since Dec.

Some people are saying it's the track but there is no evidence at this point.
I heard all the rain made the track too dangerous, but don't recall the source.

Bet on the mudders!

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Newportcat wrote:
MrMeow wrote:

Where do you live now?

I actually think there are many areas of character now in Orange County. Laguna is great, downtown Santa Ana is very cool as is downtown orange. Anti mall and the lab are really cool as is Soco. Tons of things to do outdoors and it’s a great place to raise a family as it’s diverse with great public schools.

Sure it can be somewhat bland in areas but when you are in your late 30’s with kids it’s awesome.

And weather to me is a huge deal. I have friends who live in Phoenix and there summers with their kids sound awful. Now I don’t love laguna as I feel like it’s boxed in and so isolated
North San Diego County ... because of my kids, grandkids, friends, long established associations, etc. Not because of the weather, ability to bbq, shopping opportunities, golf (ugh), etc. Weather to me is not a huge deal. Before coming back to California, I lived and worked in NYC and Connecticut where most people (and probably you) would say the weather sucks. Didn't mind it at all. Way to much going on to pay much attention to it. I just adapted and enjoyed all that those places have to offer.