Bugs

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Bugs

Post by Longhorned »

I don’t know if you’ve ever attended a video inspection of sewer lines, but you should have been at mine yesterday afternoon.

The plumber, who was played by Woody Harrelson, showed up with a toothpick dangling from his mouth, and casually dropped this special camera on a line into the sewer and sent it slowly along. There were no obstructing roots at all, in which case I’d imagine pipes filled with “sewerage” in the sense of a liquid mess of unmentionables.

Boy was I wrong. The liquid is just a trickling stream at the bottom of the pipes, like a river running through an underworld filled with monsters like you’ve never seen before. You should plug up ALL of your drains before going to sleep at night.
Merkin

Re: Bugs

Post by Merkin »

I have an old house, and like clean sewer lines!

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Thanks for the visual LH. Did Woody give any good tips to keep things clean and flowing?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I have an older house with older pipes and every year when the weather changes (like April/May and October) I always get massive like 3 inch long sewer roaches appearing in the bathroom. I've put all kinds of stuff down the drain but they come back every year.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:Thanks for the visual LH. Did Woody give any good tips to keep things clean and flowing?
He was very sparing with his words. My realtor asked how much it would cost to insert some kind of metal sleeve into the sewer pipes to line them, so as to keep them problem-free forever.

Woody said, "Eh. 'Bout seven thousand dollars."

I don't know about you, but I'm not putting that one at the top of my list.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:I have an older house with older pipes and every year when the weather changes (like April/May and October) I always get massive like 3 inch long sewer roaches appearing in the bathroom. I've put all kinds of stuff down the drain but they come back every year.
Those were among the monsters I saw. In addition to eating human shit, they like to eat soap, which runs away with the water if your pipes aren't obstructed. So they follow the smell of the soap in your bathroom, and up they come.

Isn't the solution to keep all the drains stopped all the time unless you're actively using them?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My favorite was the one time one of those fuckers ambushed me in the shower and crawled up my leg.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Love the Sea Shell Wallpaper!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

First it was the crane flies ("mosquito hawks").

Now, am I the only one getting terrorized by moths? I'd half wonder if it was just something inside my own house, but they're inside the stores, too.

I don't remember anything like this. You can't even try to look at your phone in bed in your dark room, because they start bombing your face as the light reflects off it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just pray that the moths then don't leave to make room for the Murder Hornets.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

Murder Hornets :?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Our neighborhood has been invaded by wasps. They made a really beautiful Spring weekend into two days of staying indoors because they were so aggressively dive bombing us. Never seen anything like it.

We actually called an exterminator who is going to soak our home in chemicals that will likely cause us to all develop ass cancer, but we have huge nests in the raves of our roof and I’d really like to spend time outside this summer.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Our neighborhood has been invaded by wasps. They made a really beautiful Spring weekend into two days of staying indoors because they were so aggressively dive bombing us. Never seen anything like it.

We actually called an exterminator who is going to soak our home in chemicals that will likely cause us to all develop ass cancer, but we have huge nests in the raves of our roof and I’d really like to spend time outside this summer.
I had a wasp nest outside my office at the top of Cesar Chavez Hall. As soon as I reported it, a guy in a helmet got lifted up and shot the nest with poison, and they all died on the spot before the next guy got raised up to clean away the remains of the nest.

By the next day, the wasps were already building a new nest in the same spot - probably the ones out on sting-you-in-the-eye patrol when the home base got attacked, and they came home to nothing and started to rebuild.

So I had to report it again and repeat. Twice. Then they were gone forever. But they were menacing fuckers.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Longhorned wrote:First it was the crane flies ("mosquito hawks").

Now, am I the only one getting terrorized by moths? I'd half wonder if it was just something inside my own house, but they're inside the stores, too.

I don't remember anything like this. You can't even try to look at your phone in bed in your dark room, because they start bombing your face as the light reflects off it.
Yup. Worst year for crane flies I can ever remember. Now just non stop moths. Huge ones. I've seen more bugs this spring than ever before in Tucson. Spiders, earwigs, beetles, crickets, everything is in an abundance unlike ever before.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My problem is gnats.

All day every day in my office. They have a R0 on 6. Kill one, 6 return.

There is no fruit or vegetation in my office either.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:My problem is gnats.

At your home office or at work? Do you have a private bathroom attached to your office? Or a live plant?

If you mix sugar water with apple cider vinegar in a bowl and add a few drops of dish soap to break the surface tension, the gnats will fly in and drown. It’s a really satisfying solution to an annoying problem. I love watching it happen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:My problem is gnats.

How about leftover food items in your trash? That caused ant problems in my old office building when they cut back on trash pickup in the offices.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I don't like gnats.

I once was subjected to a random aphid infestation all over Champaign-Urbana. The air was so thick with them, you could just ride your bike with your mouth open and never have to stop for lunch.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Millions of years living with the enemy?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Go to the 11 minute mark. Fucking retard.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just learned something that blew my mind:

Scorpions may have been the earliest animal on earth to transition from the waters to land. In those early days, scorpions were exactly like they are now, except they were 3-5 feet long.

I learned it on the Ologies podcast.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Back in those days there were 6 foot long centipedes and dragonflies with 3 foot wingspans too
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Learned something from the Santa Barbara Natural History museum. The larger a scorpion's claws are, the less poisonous the stinger is.

Also that their native language is German, but they sing in English. Rock you like a hurricane!