Ebola

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bruins01

Re: Ebola

Post by Bruins01 »

Apparently accusing somebody of being indifferent to the deaths of children from ebola is less heinous of a crime than defending oneself from such an offensive accusation? Alright...
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Bruins01 wrote:Apparently accusing somebody of being indifferent to the deaths of children from ebola is less heinous of a crime than defending oneself from such an offensive accusation? Alright...
It's not your stance on the topic (which is reasonable). It's that you impulsively patronize and insult anyone who voices even marginal differing of opinion. Most of the threads you participate in go completely off the tracks because you come in spewing vitriol and venom in every direction while hardly explaining your stance. It's tired and old. I usually just ignore it, but I let myself stoop to your level this time. You win.

I do not consider myself to be "paranoid" or "hysterical" by wishing this nurse would stay in her home for a few weeks. Given the horrendous nature of the disease, I think self-quarantine is warranted. The odds of transmitting to someone in the streets is very very small, maybe even impossible (and that's assuming she even has it). But maybes and small odds are still too much of a risk with something like this. Not worth taking any chances, IMO. Why would you?

The court order establishing a 3ft barrier isn't perfect, but if it is correct that a 103 degree fever marks the onset of symptoms then it's probably enough. She would notice that in time, I would imagine. But it would be so much easier and safer if she would just consent to hanging out on the couch for a while and I have a hard time comprehending why she has such a problem with that.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

In October 2014 exactly one person died in the United States due to the effects of the ebola disease.

In October 2014 over 7000 people died in the United States due to the effects of the excessive use of alcohol.

CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/alcohol-use.htm
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

KaibabKat wrote:In October 2014 exactly one person died in the United States due to the effects of the ebola disease.

In October 2014 over 7000 people died in the United States due to the effects of the excessive use of alcohol.

In October 2014 the University of Arizona won exactly 2 football games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/tea ... a-wildcats
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:In October 2014 exactly one person died in the United States due to the effects of the ebola disease.

How many died of shark attacks?

Quarantine the beer drinkers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

the real dill wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:Apparently accusing somebody of being indifferent to the deaths of children from ebola is less heinous of a crime than defending oneself from such an offensive accusation? Alright...
It's not your stance on the topic (which is reasonable). It's that you impulsively patronize and insult anyone who voices even marginal differing of opinion. Most of the threads you participate in go completely off the tracks because you come in spewing vitriol and venom in every direction while hardly explaining your stance. It's tired and old. I usually just ignore it, but I let myself stoop to your level this time. You win.
My apologies. I'm guilty as well. I'm going back to my self-imposed Bruins01 quarantine.
the real dill wrote:I do not consider myself to be "paranoid" or "hysterical" by wishing this nurse would stay in her home for a few weeks. Given the horrendous nature of the disease, I think self-quarantine is warranted. The odds of transmitting to someone in the streets is very very small, maybe even impossible (and that's assuming she even has it). But maybes and small odds are still too much of a risk with something like this. Not worth taking any chances, IMO. Why would you?

The court order establishing a 3ft barrier isn't perfect, but if it is correct that a 103 degree fever marks the onset of symptoms then it's probably enough. She would notice that in time, I would imagine. But it would be so much easier and safer if she would just consent to hanging out on the couch for a while and I have a hard time comprehending why she has such a problem with that.
That is what I don't get about this woman. Even if the chance was so infinitesimal that it was right next to impossible to transmit this disease, unless it was 0%, I'm self-quarantining. I'd never be able to live with myself if that one-in-a-billion chance came to happen and I got someone else sick because I was too much of a dick to just stay home.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Chicat wrote:
the real dill wrote:
My apologies. I'm guilty as well. I'm going back to my self-imposed Bruins01 quarantine.
the real dill wrote:I do not consider myself to be "paranoid" or "hysterical" by wishing this nurse would stay in her home for a few weeks. Given the horrendous nature of the disease, I think self-quarantine is warranted. The odds of transmitting to someone in the streets is very very small, maybe even impossible (and that's assuming she even has it). But maybes and small odds are still too much of a risk with something like this. Not worth taking any chances, IMO. Why would you?

That is what I don't get about this woman. Even if the chance was so infinitesimal that it was right next to impossible to transmit this disease, unless it was 0%, I'm self-quarantining. I'd never be able to live with myself if that one-in-a-billion chance came to happen and I got someone else sick because I was too much of a dick to just stay home.
Maybe those reporters that have been following her around should be quarantined too. . . "Big Brother: Ebola Journalist edition". :lol:
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

I have NEVER stooped to the level of accusing somebody of being indifferent to children dying of a horrific disease. Not even fucking close.

The judge in the case dill referred to had very harsh words (for a judge) in his decision:
A state judge in Maine just drop-kicked out of his courtroom the arguments from pseudo-scientists like Paul LePage and Chris Christie for quarantining Kaci Hickox, ruling that the nurse should not have restrictions on her movement.

"The court is fully aware of the misconceptions, misinformation, bad science and bad information being spread from shore to shore in our country with respect to Ebola," he wrote, according to the AP. "The court is fully aware that people are acting out of fear and that this fear is not entirely rational."
Good. A mandatory quarantine only feeds the very counter-productive ebola hysteria and discourages medical professionals from volunteering their services abroad where it is needed most, and furthermore does absolutely nothing to prevent the spread of the disease here.

The very best thing we can do to prevent the spread of ebola in the United States is eradicate the disease at its origin. This mandatory quarantine does the exact opposite effect. THAT'S why it's stupid policy.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nurse ego is very strong in this one.

If you have experience with it, you'll know what this lady is acting the way she is.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Stupid is as stupid does - in Tucson:

http://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-pas ... e9da5.html
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

CalStateTempe wrote:Nurse ego is very strong in this one.

If you have experience with it, you'll know what this lady is acting the way she is.
True, but she also is right. The Ebola Hysteria in this country is irrational and out of control, fed by the press and scientific and geographic ignorance.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Nurse ego is very strong in this one.

True, but she also is right. The Ebola Hysteria in this country is irrational and out of control, fed by the press and scientific and geographic ignorance.
+1

The first couple of weeks were understandable, because of the seriousness of Ebola and the novelty - but the continued fear has gotten out of control - IMNSHO, the media sensationalism (e.g., live tracking of ambulance trips) and Americans' general ignorance of science make this a very embarrassing episode for our culture, overall
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Notice that right after the election the Ebola media coverage ended. There never was a major threat of the disease spreading. It was meant to raise irrational fear in the electorate, another thing to blame Obama for.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nobody is paying attention but there is a very serious Ebola outbreak ongoing and it just popped up in a city of over a million people.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?