Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PieceOfMeat

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Awesome BDV. Glad your daughter is doing so well with that school work load!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's great BDV. they offer the sort of thing here in Phoenix through the AP program and Maricopa County Community Colleges.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

azgreg wrote:That's great BDV. they offer the sort of thing here in Phoenix through the AP program and Maricopa County Community Colleges.
It's SUCH a great deal. It's far enough into the program that her class still gets a Prom & a semi-formal dance too - so it's not like she misses everything a traditional High School offers.

She's always been mature for her age so it's really worked out for her. She's had two college guys ask her out (one she went out with a couple times) so that was a little weird for me - but it's an easy trade off.

Merk - if she would come there I would be over the moon. I'll buy all the drinks. My mother grew up in Oceano & my uncle is a CalPoly grad so we're very familiar. Not sure she's gonna have the SAT/ACT scores to get in there but it doesn't hurt she's transferring more than applying...so that's a plus.

I'm really only worried about Syracuse & SMU to be honest & it's only because they're so far and the culture shock/differences would be the greatest. But who knows - she may thrive under those conditions anyway...
gumby

Post by gumby »

College of Southern Nevada? Grew up in Vegas and never heard of it. UNLV was Nevada Southern when I was a kid.

We have "Running Start" here. Some kids collect enough credits that by the time they graduate from high school, they're college sophomores or juniors.

My daughter is a definite candidate in a couple of years. Son will have some college credits in math and physics when he finishes up high school this year via AP courses. Gotta find ways to make this cheaper, and this is one of them.
Right where I want to be.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:College of Southern Nevada? Grew up in Vegas and never heard of it.
It appears to be a community college.

http://www.csn.edu/
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
97cats wrote:cause i know BearDownVegas and he is one fine mutha-fuckin individual!!

Go Cats!!
This is pretty cool - thanks for that Jon.

I actually came in here to brag on my daughter & just read all of that - which was cool. SO - this weekend I filled out college applications with my 17 year old. But that's not the best part.

About a year & a half ago she heard of this program at The College of Southern Nevada where they take 50 high school students per campus, per year on a scholarship program. What this means is - the student attends at CSN for two years (eligible after your sophomore year of HS) & you can take up to 15 credits of college courses per semester while you finish your last two years of high school. These credits are FREE if you get into the program.

She is now underway on her senior year of HS as well as her sophomore year of college. In fact, she just finished a turbo class of English 102 last Friday that was all three credits in four weeks (3 hours a day, 3 days a week). And all I've had to pay for is the books.

She's applying to UofA, USC, Cal Poly SLO, CU Boulder, Pepperdine, Syracuse, Whittier, & SMU. I of course have my favorites & fears...I guess all of that is normal. But I couldn't be more f*&#ing proud. I was sitting here this morning beaming about it & realized it would fit pretty well in this fun 'pat yourself on the back' thread.

Though I'm not sure how much credit I can take...this kid's an angel. My three year old on the other hand.....lol
That's a helluva fast-track program, BDV. Hopefully it will be good enough to last.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
azgreg wrote:That's great BDV. they offer the sort of thing here in Phoenix through the AP program and Maricopa County Community Colleges.
It's SUCH a great deal. It's far enough into the program that her class still gets a Prom & a semi-formal dance too - so it's not like she misses everything a traditional High School offers.

She's always been mature for her age so it's really worked out for her. She's had two college guys ask her out (one she went out with a couple times) so that was a little weird for me - but it's an easy trade off.

Merk - if she would come there I would be over the moon. I'll buy all the drinks. My mother grew up in Oceano & my uncle is a CalPoly grad so we're very familiar. Not sure she's gonna have the SAT/ACT scores to get in there but it doesn't hurt she's transferring more than applying...so that's a plus.

I'm really only worried about Syracuse & SMU to be honest & it's only because they're so far and the culture shock/differences would be the greatest. But who knows - she may thrive under those conditions anyway...
When we went to Glendale Union High School district's AP program orientation for my youngest son I talked to a girl who was a senior at Greenway High School and through the program she will graduate from high school and go right into her sophomore year at college. She had accumulated 30 credit hours through the program and they also paid all their testing fees. Great program.
gumby

Post by gumby »

A colleague has a daughter who just graduated high school (but spent her senior year at Eastern Washington University.) She enrolled at UW as a junior. Another colleague's daughter enrolled as a junior at Western Washington.

This is great, if they have the maturity. Especially if grad school is in their immediate future.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

After a snafu that saw my professorial status ranking fall a peg on a technicality, I'm back to the highest ranking of Highly Meritorious, and this time by a unanimous decision by my colleagues.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:After a snafu that saw my professorial status ranking fall a peg on a technicality, I'm back to the highest ranking of Highly Meritorious, and this time by a unanimous decision by my colleagues.
I don't know what all that means but it sounds super snazzy. Nice job!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:After a snafu that saw my professorial status ranking fall a peg on a technicality, I'm back to the highest ranking of Highly Meritorious, and this time by a unanimous decision by my colleagues.
I don't know what all that means but it sounds super snazzy. Nice job!
Peer Review process amongst university teaching professionals. Lots of hoops to jump through. They typically review on a curve, so it's harder for my types to get Highly Meritorious, but I've earned it 2/3 years and felt like I was robbed last year. From what I know it's damn hard to be reviewed uninanimously as Highly Meritorious.

So that's a nice feather in my cap.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I lied in a hotel bed all day long thinking about Beatrice.
SandwichGuy

Post by SandwichGuy »

Our son is 7 months old now. This little dude rules my world.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It was your work on the Hot/Not brackets, clearly. :mrgreen:
gumby

Post by gumby »

SandwichGuy wrote:Image

Our son is 7 months old now. This little dude rules my world.
A slice off the old loaf, I'd imagine.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

McRib is back!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I had a McRib once. It was like a sloppy joe but compressed into a kind of patty. Why would people eat that instead of real barbecue pork ribs? If it's a money thing, then people should know that canned cat food is cheeper, better, and better for you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

They're awful.
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

azgreg wrote:They're awful.
Ok. I admit I've never had one, but I found it very humorous it was on the top of Yahoo! Finance at one point today. It's a big deal for them revenue wise.

First, the pair check out the raw McRib meat-chunks of boneless pork picnic, which Imahara points out doesn't contain bones or gristle.

After a visual inspection, the meat goes through the grinder before being formed into the shape of a rack of ribs. The patty, which contains pork, water, salt, dextrose and preservatives, is then misted with water to keep it from dehydrating during the freezing process.

"This is not like I thought it would be," Bellamy says of the production.

"[Y]ou know what it's kind of crazy because it's different now that I know what actually goes inside of it, and I know what actually the process is in terms of making it. It's actually good pork," he said.

While Imahara's only comment about his first taste of the McRib is that it's "a lot messier than a lot of the other things," Bellamy sings the sandwich's praises.

"All of my questions have been answered," he said. "The sandwich is pretty good, man. It's actually really good."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mcdonalds ... 21359.html

The hype the McRib generates doesn't compare to any other menu item McDonald's could ever hope to recreate. From Time to USA Today to the LA Times to HuffPo to the WSJ to Gawker to Entertainment Weekly -- when the McRib comes back, it's everywhere in the media. And when the McRib's in the news, so is the McDonald's brand.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonald ... z3I8XeSzN5
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:I had a McRib once. It was like a sloppy joe but compressed into a kind of patty. Why would people eat that instead of real barbecue pork ribs? If it's a money thing, then people should know that canned cat food is cheeper, better, and better for you.
Thanks for the tip, but TJ's doesn't sell cat food.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Got word today, after an attempt to grandfather me in hit a snag due to a technicality, they are officially devising a plan to correct the technicality with a custom lecturer line for me. Line is already approved. I receivers unofficial word to confirm my interest today, so next few months will find me applying/interviewing for a job created with me and nobody else in mind.

If i fuck this up, I'll need to re-examine my life's career exploits.

No pressure.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've never seen anybody go through the crap you've had to go through.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

None of you want to know what I am doing to my McRib right now.

Hint on-topic: It's the same thing my two-year-old daughter did for the first time in her life an hour ago.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:I've never seen anybody go through the crap you've had to go through.
And I stood toe to toe, my mere presence screaming "I'm still here, assholes!", and worked my ass off to undercut every argument that could be attempted against me.

I have some earnest and honest supporters, they see I'm doing things the old school, hard way, facing things honestly, treating everyone fairly, holding no grudges.

My director said I'm one of his favorite colleagues because I can do anything and do it well, and never grumble. He's pushing for this.

It's a nice feeling to know some people notice and care.

I'll not trust it's mine until I've signed. But it seems like it's all happening.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:I had a McRib once. It was like a sloppy joe but compressed into a kind of patty. Why would people eat that instead of real barbecue pork ribs? If it's a money thing, then people should know that canned cat food is cheeper, better, and better for you.

Please, dog food is much better for you:

http://www.newser.com/story/198102/pale ... -days.html

Not sure I ever had a McRib, but my kids say the Banquet version tastes just the same and are a lot cheaper.

catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

JMarkJohns wrote:And I stood toe to toe, my mere presence screaming "I'm still here, assholes!", and worked my ass off to undercut every argument that could be attempted against me.
JMarkJohns made it to tenure. And for the remaining years of his life, he lived a tenured professor.

This, the infamous photography department at Northern Arizona University, did not survive him.

Last edited by catgrad97 on Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bear Down Vegas

I have what I consider to be THE BEST Mc Rib story ever told. & it's 100% true. This happened almost 3 years ago now...so I've copy pasted the original note when I posted it on Facebook many moons ago. It's about my father in law - who is a great dude...this one is a classic, enjoy:

This time of year always reminds me of one of my favorite John McInerney stories...a story of a man & his 2 daughters (this was pretty much pre-Sean Mac).

John is as good of an example as you can find of a father. He coached all of his kids in sports, took them on family trips & of course even endured McDonalds for his kids - because that's where they loved to go (as most American kids do.)

I started dating Christie over 10 years ago now and one of my first memories was that every time of year McDonalds brought back the McRib sandwich - and the commercials that would come with it - CJ would make it a point to tell me how it was her fathers favorite thing to order from McD's. I always thought this was odd considering John likes good food, but hey - people are strange.

One day 2 or 3 years ago I was playing golf with John & Sean. The McRib had just come back in season & so I said to John, "Hey - your favorite sandwich is back - the McRib!". He & Sean both gave good hearty chuckles...the kind of laughs in this crew that let you know they appreciated your joke. This puzzled me because I was serious. I said, "what did you already go get some?"

At this point it was John who was puzzled. "What do you mean? The McRib is disgusting...you ARE joking right?"

Now I'm lost...and I explained to him that Christie has told me for over 6 years - every time it comes back around - "oh there's dads favorite." (John is laughing a lot harder at this point.)

Turns out that John (always the jokester) has always hated the McRib but John is also one to stick with a joke if he deems it funny. So for YEARS - whenever the McRib was out of season & he was taking his daughters to McD's, he would order the sandwich and feign massive disappointment when each time he was told - "sorry we only serve that certain times of year." "DARN IT! That's my FAVORITE sandwich!" he would say...in front of his impressionable daughters. (John literally being the only person in on his joke).

To cement the tale - after telling CJ this shattering news - she called Megan right away to ask what their dad's favorite sandwich in the world was - "The McRib, of course" Megan replied.

True story. hahaha
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

nm
Last edited by Longhorned on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Promotional poster featuring an image of mine (Leaf), alongside one of three courses I created from scratch, and two others I assisted in creating.

My classes are Pho-100, Pho-101, and Pho-403.

101 is the liberal studies course, 403 the course with graduate status pending graduate certification starting Fall 2016.

Regardless of what happens, it's been incredible being a part of this.
Attachments
NAU Photography Program
NAU Photography Program
image.jpg (949.44 KiB) Viewed 4224 times
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That is ... AWESOME!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Man JMJ! I want to go back to school and take your classes!

You clearly have a passion and love for what you do. They can't ever take that away from you.

Awesome.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Last year I flippantly commented "if only we could partner with NAUs outdoor science programs"... Less than a year later, Astronomy, Geology, Forestry have all become partners with Biology and Hydrology expressing interest. Astronomy donated $20,000 in telescopic equipment for Astro-Photography classes...

I also flippantly said we needed a liberal studies option to extend reach.

It, too, will come to pass.

Crazy how fast this came together.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

JMarkJohns wrote:Last year I flippantly commented "if only we could partner with NAUs outdoor science programs"... Less than a year later, Astronomy, Geology, Forestry have all become partners with Biology and Hydrology expressing interest. Astronomy donated $20,000 in telescopic equipment for Astro-Photography classes...

How about 3-D photography on cadavers? That would be invaluable pre-med students.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Longhorned wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Last year I flippantly commented "if only we could partner with NAUs outdoor science programs"... Less than a year later, Astronomy, Geology, Forestry have all become partners with Biology and Hydrology expressing interest. Astronomy donated $20,000 in telescopic equipment for Astro-Photography classes...

How about 3-D photography on cadavers? That would be invaluable pre-med students.
That's a bit specialized, and I'm not sure NAU has that level of medical program, but it's an area to look into.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Congrats JMJ.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Watch out for a billboard near you...

Find Nature
Find Your Future
#PhotographyNAU
Bear Down Vegas

Wow JMJ - that's fantastic. Really great!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Well, it's all officially approved, but they delayed liberal studies certification on my class until Fall 2016, on grounds it's a new class from scratch.

Makes sense and all, but the delay sucks.
Bear Down Vegas

This post is more of a, "Why WE Own The World"...

It's not news to any of us that the University of Arizona is a special place. A place we all share - in one way or another, in one form or another, throughout different times & even eras.

It's also not news that message boards by nature - are kinda nutty. You gotta be at least a little weird in way or another to become a regular at one of these places - most of us multiple places.

But all of that said & acknowledged - I've met some of the greatest people here. I've watched games - both live & on tv with you, I've shared and learned tips on places to go in cities I'm not familiar with, I've cooked & tasted your recipes, I've tried your favorite beers, I've read great write ups from you not only on Arizona Athletics but many other things as well. I've even read your often hard to read politics threads (even though I try I very hard to stay out of those)...

& all of these hook ups, both live & through the internet - that's why we rule the world. It's extended the University far out of Tucson.

This sappiness isn't without a point. I recently helped a board member with a little something in Las Vegas - & he reciprocated in kind with a VERY NICE gift that was delivered to my father's place in Arizona in time for Thanksgiving tomorrow. Something that my family & will share that all stems from me being a wacko that visits message boards.

That's just downright fucking awesome. And something special that a lot of people in this world don't get to share.

That's why we rule.

Bear Down, Go Cats, Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

jed
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Going to be a very big bonus year this year. Thank you STB.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Cool post, BDV.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

So I've made a decision, after taking the attached image of my 22-month-old neice over the weekend, she will now be Penny Lane for next Halloween.

Already put the outfit together...

It's All Happening

I'm awesome
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (237.7 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I have received a very fair offer in my number one sought position. Has everything I want in a team, support, resources, and an dedicated avenue for further professional development. Simply put, they went above and beyond what I was expecting and will make my decision to return to NorCal an easy one.

Still have a few interviews out east next week, but at this point, i'm 95% sure by next Friday, I will have my next position set-up and ready to go.

Feel damn good and places all the sacrifice and occasional professional heartache of the last 10 years squarely in the rear view mirror.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I have received a very fair offer in my number one sought position. Has everything I want in a team, support, resources, and an dedicated avenue for further professional development. Simply put, they went above and beyond what I was expecting and will make my decision to return to NorCal an easy one.

Still have a few interviews out east next week, but at this point, i'm 95% sure by next Friday, I will have my next position set-up and ready to go.

Feel damn good and places all the sacrifice and occasional professional heartache of the last 10 years squarely in the rear view mirror.
If you leave NC, who is going to carry the torch for us? You must stay and wear your Arizona gear & fly the flag. It is your duty to your Alma mater!

Oh, and congrats!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Its been flying since we clinched the south against ASU.

I texted the cat sitter that it needed to be put out for this week. :)

My wife and I will certainly miss North Carolina. Its a very charming state.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just got out of an ad agency meeting with my boss and my CEO. Basically the agency people just talked me up for an hour. They love me, our company, and our inventory. On top of that, and totally unexpectedly they let me know they have an extra $100K they want to throw us on top of the $300k proposal I already submitted. My CEO walked out of their office looking at me like I was the long lost son he always wanted...

:lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Just got out of an ad agency meeting with my boss and my CEO. Basically the agency people just talked me up for an hour. They love me, our company, and our inventory. On top of that, and totally unexpectedly they let me know they have an extra $100K they want to throw us on top of the $300k proposal I already submitted. My CEO walked out of their office looking at me like I was the long lost son he always wanted...

That's awesome, and I'm proud of you, but I have no personal experiences that allow me to relate to what you say. It's like looking at the Grand Canyon and having no experience of scale that prepares you to take it in. I've never heard of such dollar figures in a work context, and I've certainly never had anyone at my institution talk me up or even encourage me. Ever. Any praise I've ever gotten has come from far, far away.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:Just got out of an ad agency meeting with my boss and my CEO. Basically the agency people just talked me up for an hour. They love me, our company, and our inventory. On top of that, and totally unexpectedly they let me know they have an extra $100K they want to throw us on top of the $300k proposal I already submitted. My CEO walked out of their office looking at me like I was the long lost son he always wanted...

That's awesome, and I'm proud of you, but I have no personal experiences that allow me to relate to what you say. It's like looking at the Grand Canyon and having no experience of scale that prepares you to take it in. I've never heard of such dollar figures in a work context, and I've certainly never had anyone at my institution talk me up or even encourage me. Ever. Any praise I've ever gotten has come from far, far away.
Thanks John, I appreciate it! I've come a long way from when you knew me as a not-for-profit troglodyte. :)

About to go into another meeting with my CEO right now with another client that loves me and wants to give us a boatload of money. Should be a great way to end the day and send him off to happy hour with a smile on his face.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat, simply, delivers.