The Weather is Crazy

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: The Weather is Crazy

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I think lakes are gross and generally trashy. That's my only specific opinion.
Not every lake is Havasu.
I've been to lakes in the Midwest too and it was about the same. Murky, gross water and trashy people.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I think lakes are gross and generally trashy. That's my only specific opinion.
Not every lake is Havasu.
I've been to lakes in the Midwest too and it was about the same. Murky, gross water and trashy people.
No matter where you go,..... there you are.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My sister lives near Lake Michigan, and the beaches in her area are every bit as nice as any SoCal beach I've visited.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

ASUCatFan wrote:My sister lives near Lake Michigan, and the beaches in her area are every bit as nice as any SoCal beach I've visited.
Beach is different than the water. I've never swam in a lake and don't plan on it. Just so gross.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ASUHATER! wrote:
ASUCatFan wrote:My sister lives near Lake Michigan, and the beaches in her area are every bit as nice as any SoCal beach I've visited.
Beach is different than the water. I've never swam in a lake and don't plan on it. Just so gross.
These comments about lakes really should have some anchoring (see what I did there?) is which the particular lake(s) one is talking about. Most could not tell the difference between the shore of Lake Superior vs an ocean shore.

Also, there's a huge difference between man-made lakes and natural lakes.

The Great Lakes are bigger that most bays that one might go to. And, many folks who are used to "good" lakes find the ocean shores to be creepy....

And then, there's quarries to consider....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

From some angles, certain beaches on Lake Michigan look like they're on the ocean. When you really take in the experience at a tactile, fully-immersed level, they aren't gross at all, but they're fake, and everything has that pond smell, and all the textures and densities and depths of nature you get on an ocean beach aren't there.

Most other lakes I've been in are an exercise of trying to pretend you're having a pleasant experience with slimy mud, pokey sticks, algae lips, insect bites, and dead floating moths.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Check out Flathead lake in Montana.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Eww, lakes are gross...

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yup they are. Most ocean beaches are too. But lakes and rivers are just awful trashy places to swim in

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

The twins are weird dudes.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Probably has a lot to do with most lakes I've been at smell like sewage and are filled with dudes sporting Oakley's, jorts, sleeveless t-shirts and swigging Busch or natty while jetskiing holding an American flag. Or some variation thereof. The lakes in Arizona are truly repulsive. Wisconsin and Kansas and Missouri and Florida were basically the same. Went to swim in Lake Erie once, definitely not as bad but still notmy favorite place to be.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There’s nothing like floating on a Midwest lake on a warm summer day. And that’s coming from someone who has lived on both coasts and spent plenty of time on the Gulf of Mexico.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:There’s nothing like floating on a Midwest lake on a warm summer day. And that’s coming from someone who has lived on both coasts and spent plenty of time on the Gulf of Mexico.
Floating on what on a Midwest lake?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

ASUHATER! wrote:
What's gross about it? it's water, and it doesn't make you feel sticky like salt water. if anything, I prefer to swim in fresh water.

This is an awfully strange aversion you and your brother have.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Well if you want to know gross, go to the shores of Lake Michigan in the late 1960's like I did on a family vacation. The beaches were just full of dead fish. Just awful. Never forget that smell.

Lake Erie at the time was a dead lake. Pollution was unregulated back then. Look at it now.

I remember polluted rivers actually catching on fire, the Cuyahoga river in Ohio for one in 1969, and this wasn't the first fire.

Celebrating 50 years with no fires.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:There’s nothing like floating on a Midwest lake on a warm summer day. And that’s coming from someone who has lived on both coasts and spent plenty of time on the Gulf of Mexico.
Floating on what on a Midwest lake?
A boat, a floaty, my back...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've never had a bad time at a lake.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Lake Superior is absolutely stunning.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For me, I think it comes down to the feeling that the west coast is beautiful, and beauty continues inland. Utah, southern Arizona, northern Arizona, Colorado New Mexico, Wow. Even Nevada. Obviously Idaho and Montana and Wyoming, but I've never been there.

But beauty dissipates in West Texas and the panhandle. Oklahoma is rough, and when you pass into Missouri, it's all behind you. And you just do the best you can with what you have to work with. On Sunday you take your little drive out of Chicago into "nature" and try to enjoy yourself like all those pasty locals who just don't know anything else.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:For me, I think it comes down to the feeling that the west coast is beautiful, and beauty continues inland. Utah, southern Arizona, northern Arizona, Colorado New Mexico, Wow. Even Nevada. Obviously Idaho and Montana and Wyoming, but I've never been there.

But beauty dissipates in West Texas and the panhandle. Oklahoma is rough, and when you pass into Missouri, it's all behind you. And you just do the best you can with what you have to work with. On Sunday you take your little drive out of Chicago into "nature" and try to enjoy yourself like all those pasty locals who just don't know anything else.
Yup. IMO draw a line north from Big Bend up through the Black Hills. Stay west of the line.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Yep, never ever go East. Too ugly for your delicate sensibilities...

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dirty redneck pond

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've seen some nice looking areas in Virginia, New York, Tennessee etc for sure. And the coastal areas are great. But definitely doesn't compare to the natural beauty of the west.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You two could not be more American.

Been nowhere, yet still declares their corner of the earth the greatest.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:You two could not be more American.

Been nowhere, yet still declares their corner of the earth the greatest.
I've been to pretty much every part of the US from Hawaii to the east coast and back and the West is absolutely the most scenic without a doubt.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Virginia is quite beautiful. I imagine Maine is too, along with coastal Carolinas.

When I was a working man, my central coast of Cali commute took me by rolling hills, pastoral farmland, vineyards/wineries, and beautiful ocean views. All in one trip. Where else can you see that?

That's exactly why the film industry is based out of LA. You can get almost every possible outdoor filming locale in less than 2 hours. Snow up in Big Bear, deserts out east of Riverside, along with everything up here.

Recall reading somewhere that you can see mountains from every spot in California, assuming visibility is good.

Growing up in Michigan, and driving through Indiana and Ohio to see relatives, all I see is miles and miles of this. No mountains, and very few hills.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Virginia is quite beautiful. I imagine Maine is too, along with coastal Carolinas.

When I was a working man, my central coast of Cali commute took me by rolling hills, pastoral farmland, vineyards/wineries, and beautiful ocean views. All in one trip. Where else can you see that?
Virginia
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It took me 12 years but I finally developed a “prairie eye” that allows you to see the beauty of Illinois. I can explain it if anyone cares.

But then I flew to Tucson one November night, woke up to a sunny morning, and drove past Gates Pass and remembered what it’s like to take in amazing scenery that doesn’t take 12 years to learn to perceive.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I've been to every corner of the country and I still keep coming back to the west. Pretty much the only redeeming qualities of Arizona are it's natural beauty and nice winters. Otherwise I've never thought that "my corner" was the greatest. All the time I've spent in the south or Mid-Atlantic or Chicago or New York etc...yea it was fun for a vacation and saw a lot of great stuff but I would not enjoy living east of the Rockies. Just what I've realized after 30+ years.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin wrote:Virginia is quite beautiful. I imagine Maine is too, along with coastal Carolinas.

That's exactly why the film industry is based out of LA. You can get almost every possible outdoor filming locale in less than 2 hours. Snow up in Big Bear, deserts out east of Riverside, along with everything up here.

Recall reading somewhere that you can see mountains from every spot in California, assuming visibility is good.

Growing up in Michigan, and driving through Indiana and Ohio to see relatives, all I see is miles and miles of this. No mountains, and very few hills.

Yea the main thing I always don't like about going back east is not being able to see for miles and having mountains all around.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Well this thread took a left turn in Albuquerque! :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We’ve had so much rain and flooding that they just reversed the flow of the Chicago River so that it now flows into Lake Michigan. I can think of only one other time in the last twenty years that they’ve done that.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

What's a river? Like, is there actual water that flows in it?

Can't tell you how many times I've talked to non Arizonans who think the rivers on maps here actually have water in them and then I have to explain it. I'm the weird one of course because whenever I travel anywhere else I get excited seeing flowing water.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

hey the Rillito had water running in it for a good week straight back in March

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
I am in coastal NC right now. Not too bad and expected to stay good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

This is the third May in a row that Chicago has seen the wettest May ever.

This is the third year in a row we've had a tropical system develop before the hurricane season officially starts.

It's almost as if . . . the climate is changing.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Last May was the coldest and wettest in over 40 years in Tucson. This year it is one of the hottest and driest.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Second year in a row that I picked the weekend when I giant snowstorm envelopes Mt Shasta.

This year, I bailed on the trip a few days prior.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My neighborhood late yesterday.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Major props if we get a picture of you using that grill in knee deep water. Even if you're not actually cooking.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Phylek wrote:Major props if we get a picture of you using that grill in knee deep water. Even if you're not actually cooking.
:lol:

Luckily that’s not my backyard. I bought the house at the top of the hill.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

This May was the hottest ever recorded in Tucson. Last year's May was the coolest in something like 45 years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Chicat wrote:
Totally normal

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Third straight day of thunderstorms in Anchorage. That’s never happened before.

They usually only get 1-2 thunderstorm days per year.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Expected to hit 111° today.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »