Depression and Anxiety Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

OriginalAZ

Re: Depression and Anxiety Thread

Post by OriginalAZ »

Alieberman wrote:
Phylek wrote:You may not need to go split. My wife and I sleep different and have different preferences, but both slept really well.
My wife and I have never both loved a bed until we got our Purple.
Which Purple do you have? the regular, hybrid, hybrid premier 3" or 4"?
So many options. I don't mind paying extra if it provides additional comfort. I have a L5-S1 bulging disc and it hurts with my current memory foam mattress.
I've only had my current mattress for 3 years so gonna take some convincing for my wife to agree to this. I know they have a 100 day trial so maybe that will help in convincing her.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Phylek wrote:You may not need to go split. My wife and I sleep different and have different preferences, but both slept really well.
My wife and I have never both loved a bed until we got our Purple.
Which Purple do you have? the regular, hybrid, hybrid premier 3" or 4"?
So many options. I don't mind paying extra if it provides additional comfort. I have a L5-S1 bulging disc and it hurts with my current memory foam mattress.
I've only had my current mattress for 3 years so gonna take some convincing for my wife to agree to this. I know they have a 100 day trial so maybe that will help in convincing her.
Purple hybrid.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Well now we already have our eye on a Purple!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I’m gonna put this post here too...

Ok. I’m gonna rant. Skip past this post if you want...

Ok. I’m so fucking sad all the time. I burst into tears everyday. There are over 100k people dead in 10 weeks. Racism is rampant and on display everywhere. 1 in 4 Americans are out of work, and don’t have a flicker of hope for employment.

And then I’m reporting for work Monday for “business as usual” for the fucking state health department.

There is nothing fucking “usual” about life anymore.

We are communicating on a college sports message board without any college or any sports. Life has changed and I’m trying to explain everyday to my boys about what is going on, AND I HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON.

This very thread I’ve been arguing that there is “reopening” or “going back to normal” without death and despair. My family has had to distance from my 72 year old mother who lives alone cause I’m fearful that she could die.

Meanwhile assholes want a beer and a haircut.

Then we heave the police continuing to keep the brown men down, as white people have for 400 years. In the midst of a pandemic. And the orange Asshole cheers them on.

And I get to explain how privileged my boys are, to them, in the midst of a pandemic.

Cause we are. So many have it so bad here in America right now.

I just know America, us...you, me and everyone you know... we are better then this.

Sorry. It’s just been such a horrible year.

Rant off.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Life is weird right now. Sad and scary.

But you're right. You and your boys are blessed and privileged. We all are. I fear what the world is turning in to. I fear it's devolving. I fear the world my girls are growing up in and what it'll be in 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. I just hope I can teach them to be caring, strong, and grateful.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I have been fighting depression and anxiety for over 5 years. Friends and family could not tell as I hid it pretty good. I had a friend who was talking about depression and anxiety and he mentioned a doctor he saw. I went to see this doctor and he put me on a small dosage of sertraline. After about a week, I was feeling better mentally. About two years ago, I decided to stop taking sertraline. That was a bad decision, as I quickly went back on it. I still sometimes get a little depressed, but it's not like it was 5 years ago. Not saying taking a drug is the answer, but for me it is.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I've been depressed for most of my life, largely, I think, because of the way my parents tried to shove their absurd religion down my throat, but it's been especially bad since my divorce 8 years ago. I've tried medication, and it doesn't work for me. I have found that regular physical activity really helps. Right now, unfortunately, I'm mostly sitting around at my house and drinking too much.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I am both saddened and heartened that so many would seem to be in the same boat as I am.

I am so sorry you all have to go through this, and I appreciate without hesitation your willingness to share your struggles.

On a different note, I have to wonder what biological and evolutionary imperative depression serves. Did long stretches of melancholy make our cavemen ancestors more willing and able hunters? Or did it draw people together in solidarity and thus keep them safe from predators. Whatever it was, we can turn it off now Nature. I don't need to be emotionally crushed daily to get hunt down that mastodon that will feed the tribe for a month. Thanks in advance ya fuckin' jerk.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:I am both saddened and heartened that so many would seem to be in the same boat as I am.

I am so sorry you all have to go through this, and I appreciate without hesitation your willingness to share your struggles.

On a different note, I have to wonder what biological and evolutionary imperative depression serves. Did long stretches of melancholy make our cavemen ancestors more willing and able hunters? Or did it draw people together in solidarity and thus keep them safe from predators. Whatever it was, we can turn it off now Nature. I don't need to be emotionally crushed daily to get hunt down that mastodon that will feed the tribe for a month. Thanks in advance ya fuckin' jerk.
An interesting question...
Depression's Evolutionary Roots

Two scientists suggest that depression is not a malfunction, but a mental adaptation that brings certain cognitive advantages

By Paul W. Andrews, J. Anderson Thomson Jr. on August 25, 2009

Depression seems to pose an evolutionary paradox. Research in the US and other countries estimates that between 30 to 50 percent of people have met current psychiatric diagnostic criteria for major depressive disorder sometime in their lives. But the brain plays crucial roles in promoting survival and reproduction, so the pressures of evolution should have left our brains resistant to such high rates of malfunction. Mental disorders should generally be rare — why isn’t depression?

This paradox could be resolved if depression were a problem of growing old. The functioning of all body systems and organs, including the brain, tends to deteriorate with age. This is not a satisfactory explanation for depression, however, as people are most likely to experience their first bout in adolescence and young adulthood.

Or, perhaps, depression might be like obesity — a problem that arises because modern conditions are so different from those in which we evolved. Homo sapiens did not evolve with cookies and soda at the fingertips. Yet this is not a satisfactory explanation either. The symptoms of depression have been found in every culture which has been carefully examined, including small-scale societies, such as the Ache of Paraguay and the !Kung of southern Africa — societies where people are thought to live in environments similar to those that prevailed in our evolutionary past.

There is another possibility: that, in most instances, depression should not be thought of as a disorder at all. In an article recently published in Psychological Review, we argue that depression is in fact an adaptation, a state of mind which brings real costs, but also brings real benefits.

One reason to suspect that depression is an adaptation, not a malfunction, comes from research into a molecule in the brain known as the 5HT1A receptor. The 5HT1A receptor binds to serotonin, another brain molecule that is highly implicated in depression and is the target of most current antidepressant medications. Rodents lacking this receptor show fewer depressive symptoms in response to stress, which suggests that it is somehow involved in promoting depression. (Pharmaceutical companies, in fact, are designing the next generation of antidepressant medications to target this receptor.) When scientists have compared the composition of the functional part of the rat 5HT1A receptor to that of humans, it is 99 percent similar, which suggests that it is so important that natural selection has preserved it. The ability to “turn on” depression would seem to be important, then, not an accident.

This is not to say that depression is not a problem. Depressed people often have trouble performing everyday activities, they can’t concentrate on their work, they tend to socially isolate themselves, they are lethargic, and they often lose the ability to take pleasure from such activities such as eating and sex. Some can plunge into severe, lengthy, and even life-threatening bouts of depression.

So what could be so useful about depression? Depressed people often think intensely about their problems. These thoughts are called ruminations; they are persistent and depressed people have difficulty thinking about anything else. Numerous studies have also shown that this thinking style is often highly analytical. They dwell on a complex problem, breaking it down into smaller components, which are considered one at a time.

This analytical style of thought, of course, can be very productive. Each component is not as difficult, so the problem becomes more tractable. Indeed, when you are faced with a difficult problem, such as a math problem, feeling depressed is often a useful response that may help you analyze and solve it. For instance, in some of our research, we have found evidence that people who get more depressed while they are working on complex problems in an intelligence test tend to score higher on the test.

Analysis requires a lot of uninterrupted thought, and depression coordinates many changes in the body to help people analyze their problems without getting distracted. In a region of the brain known as the ventrolateral prefrontal cortex (VLPFC), neurons must fire continuously for people to avoid being distracted. But this is very energetically demanding for VLPFC neurons, just as a car’s engine eats up fuel when going up a mountain road. Moreover, continuous firing can cause neurons to break down, just as the car’s engine is more likely to break down when stressed. Studies of depression in rats show that the 5HT1A receptor is involved in supplying neurons with the fuel they need to fire, as well as preventing them from breaking down. These important processes allow depressive rumination to continue uninterrupted with minimal neuronal damage, which may explain why the 5HT1A receptor is so evolutionarily important.

Many other symptoms of depression make sense in light of the idea that analysis must be uninterrupted. The desire for social isolation, for instance, helps the depressed person avoid situations that would require thinking about other things. Similarly, the inability to derive pleasure from sex or other activities prevents the depressed person from engaging in activities that could distract him or her from the problem. Even the loss of appetite often seen in depression could be viewed as promoting analysis because chewing and other oral activity interferes with the brain’s ability to process information.

But is there any evidence that depression is useful in analyzing complex problems? For one thing, if depressive rumination were harmful, as most clinicians and researchers assume, then bouts of depression should be slower to resolve when people are given interventions that encourage rumination, such as having them write about their strongest thoughts and feelings. However, the opposite appears to be true. Several studies have found that expressive writing promotes quicker resolution of depression, and they suggest that this is because depressed people gain insight into their problems.

There is another suggestive line of evidence. Various studies have found that people in depressed mood states are better at solving social dilemmas. Yet these would seem to have been precisely the kind of problems difficult enough to require analysis and important enough to drive the evolution of such a costly emotion. Consider a woman with young children who discovers her husband is having an affair. Is the wife’s best strategy to ignore it, or force him to choose between her and the other woman, and risk abandonment? Laboratory experiments indicate that depressed people are better at solving social dilemmas by better analysis of the costs and benefits of the different options that they might take.

Sometimes people are reluctant to disclose the reason for their depression because it is embarrassing or sensitive, they find it painful, they believe they must soldier on and ignore them, or they have difficulty putting their complex internal struggles into words.

But depression is nature’s way of telling you that you’ve got complex social problems that the mind is intent on solving. Therapies should try to encourage depressive rumination rather than try to stop it, and they should focus on trying to help people solve the problems that trigger their bouts of depression. (There are several effective therapies that focus on just this.) It is also essential, in instances where there is resistance to discussing ruminations, that the therapist try to identify and dismantle those barriers.

When one considers all the evidence, depression seems less like a disorder where the brain is operating in a haphazard way, or malfunctioning. Instead, depression seems more like the vertebrate eye—an intricate, highly organized piece of machinery that performs a specific function.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... lutionary/" target="_blank
Professionally speaking, from the descriptions here of experiences of depression and anxiety, I think that is is also clear that many of the symptoms being experienced, especially insomnia, may be better understood as stress reactions, and therefore fall under anxiety - that is, not depression, per se. To the extent that is/might be the case, the depression and anxiety/stress should be treated simultaneously - not address one before/instead of the other....

And, of course, substance abuse/misuse deserves equal and simultaneous attention....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I always figured the cavemen, Native Americans, etc. were too busy finding food and surviving nature so they could stay alive until the next day to contemplate their life and get depressed.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This is how I identify with depression. From Allie's Hyperbole and a Half. Here's what it's like to be depressed and talking to somebody who isn't depressed and doesn't understand:

So if you haven't looked at this, it's mostly pictures, fully rewarding, and captures the reality of depression like nothing else:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... t-two.html" target="_blank
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Irish27 wrote:I have been fighting depression and anxiety for over 5 years. Friends and family could not tell as I hid it pretty good. I had a friend who was talking about depression and anxiety and he mentioned a doctor he saw. I went to see this doctor and he put me on a small dosage of sertraline. After about a week, I was feeling better mentally. About two years ago, I decided to stop taking sertraline. That was a bad decision, as I quickly went back on it. I still sometimes get a little depressed, but it's not like it was 5 years ago. Not saying taking a drug is the answer, but for me it is.
Good for you. As a psychiatrist I tell my patients that medications can help but are just part of the treatment for depression. Therapy, exercise, diet, etc are also very important. I go through depression myself and have tried a lot of medications over the years. Some help but have side effects I can't tolerate. My mom has been on Celexa for many years for depression and anxiety and it helps her a lot without any side effects.
People need to get over the stigma and get professional help and be open to take medications if needed. Finding a good therapist is also very important.
I also recommend Dr. Weil's book Spontaneous Happiness. If you don't like to read it is also available in audio format. I listen to it while driving sometimes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Irish27 wrote:I have been fighting depression and anxiety for over 5 years. Friends and family could not tell as I hid it pretty good. I had a friend who was talking about depression and anxiety and he mentioned a doctor he saw. I went to see this doctor and he put me on a small dosage of sertraline. After about a week, I was feeling better mentally. About two years ago, I decided to stop taking sertraline. That was a bad decision, as I quickly went back on it. I still sometimes get a little depressed, but it's not like it was 5 years ago. Not saying taking a drug is the answer, but for me it is.
Good for you. As a psychiatrist I tell my patients that medications can help but are just part of the treatment for depression. Therapy, exercise, diet, etc are also very important. I go through depression myself and have tried a lot of medications over the years. Some help but have side effects I can't tolerate. My mom has been on Celexa for many years for depression and anxiety and it helps her a lot without any side effects.
People need to get over the stigma and get professional help and be open to take medications if needed. Finding a good therapist is also very important.
I also recommend Dr. Weil's book Spontaneous Happiness. If you don't like to read it is also available in audio format. I listen to it while driving sometimes.
So as a physician, how do you see Dr. Weil? On the one hand, he's been really helpful for me. On the other hand, I sense a lot of quackery and unethical opportunism -- enough to close the door on him until I realize how helpful he is. I can't compare him to anything else. It's almost like how hippies generally became so self-interested, whereas Andrew Weil became half good in a truly genuine way, while being half sucky. I generally have very positive feelings about him, accompanied by a sick feeling in my stomach about him.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Longhorned wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:
So as a physician, how do you see Dr. Weil? On the one hand, he's been really helpful for me. On the other hand, I sense a lot of quackery and unethical opportunism -- enough to close the door on him until I realize how helpful he is. I can't compare him to anything else. It's almost like how hippies generally became so self-interested, whereas Andrew Weil became half good in a truly genuine way, while being half sucky. I generally have very positive feelings about him, accompanied by a sick feeling in my stomach about him.
I like him. I'm not an expert on him so not sure what you mean by his quackery and being half sucky. I actually like his approach to integrative medicine and believe most of what he has to say is evidence based. I think too many physicians don't educate themselves enough on integrative medicine approaches. I'm no expert but I feel like I am somewhat educated on the vitamins and supplements patients are taking and have questions about.
Now I wouldn't say to blindly follow everything he says either. Always discuss it with your doctor as supplements and medications in combination could have bad interactions.
He does have a lot of good advice to offer.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:
I like him. I'm not an expert on him so not sure what you mean by his quackery and being half sucky. I actually like his approach to integrative medicine and believe most of what he has to say is evidence based. I think too many physicians don't educate themselves enough on integrative medicine approaches. I'm no expert but I feel like I am somewhat educated on the vitamins and supplements patients are taking and have questions about.
Now I wouldn't say to blindly follow everything he says either. Always discuss it with your doctor as supplements and medications in combination could have bad interactions.
He does have a lot of good advice to offer.
Thanks, OAZ.

You don't have to read it but I'm talking about, for example, pp. 230-33:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A ... ed438ac08e" target="_blank
Longhorned

Re: Mental Health in the age of Covid-19

Post by Longhorned »

I can’t play with a four year-old anymore. I’ve been doing it all day every day for six weeks without a break. There’s nowhere to take her. She doesn’t want to go back to the park again and stand around in the 100 plus degree heat near the playground we can’t touch. I honestly have no idea what to do. Is it okay to give up and neglect/ignore her? I have nothing left. I’m out of answers.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Longhorned wrote:I can’t play with a four year-old anymore. I’ve been doing it all day every day for six weeks without a break. There’s nowhere to take her. She doesn’t want to go back to the park again and stand around in the 100 plus degree heat near the playground we can’t touch. I honestly have no idea what to do. Is it okay to give up and neglect/ignore her? I have nothing left. I’m out of answers.
Just give her an I Pad and download some games. That's what my kids do all day.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Thanks, OAZ.

You don't have to read it but I'm talking about, for example, pp. 230-33:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A ... ed438ac08e" target="_blank[/quote]

I'm a big believer in medication when necessary and have seen how life changing it can be for some people. At the same time I know these medications are not always safe or effective for everyone.
I am not going to totally discredit alternative medicine. I think there can be benefit and also danger with it as well. Unfortunately in the supplement industry there is little financial incentive or regulatory reasons to run large clinical trials. Also there is little regulation on what is actually in your supplements. Despite all that I do think there is some potential benefit in it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Disney+, some seed packets and potting soil work wonders.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I can’t play with a four year-old anymore. I’ve been doing it all day every day for six weeks without a break. There’s nowhere to take her. She doesn’t want to go back to the park again and stand around in the 100 plus degree heat near the playground we can’t touch. I honestly have no idea what to do. Is it okay to give up and neglect/ignore her? I have nothing left. I’m out of answers.
That's awesome. Thank you! It seriously didn't even cross my mind. My mom wanted to give her some kind of video game device for Christmas but we said no because we didn't think that was healthy. But now we need all the help we can get. I didn't realize she'd even be able to handle an iPad, but I downloaded PBS Kids games and she knew exactly what to do!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

catgrad97 wrote:Disney+, some seed packets and potting soil work wonders.
Yeah, we have Disney + but I just need to give in to the endless screen time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Awesome. I really appreciate it.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Longhorned wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:
That's awesome. Thank you! It seriously didn't even cross my mind. My mom wanted to give her some kind of video game device for Christmas but we said no because we didn't think that was healthy. But now we need all the help we can get. I didn't realize she'd even be able to handle an iPad, but I downloaded PBS Kids games and she knew exactly what to do!
My youngest is 5 and I recently gave her my old work iPad. She uses it with ease. Its amazing how quickly kids pick up on technology. She also know how to navigate the Amazon Firestick on the TV.
I have 4 kids so at least they have each other to play with. Being off school and being in social isolation they have been using their iPad/tablets way more than we would normally allow. For me wife and I's sanity we are allowing it for now.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

We give ours watercolors and stuff. She loves coloring. Playing with play doh, kinetic sand, stickers. She'll entertain herself for hours if necessary. It may require a decent amount of cleanup after, but she's learning to clean up, as well. Which also takes time.

We've bought a lot of that stuff on Amazon.

Too bad we can't schedule a play date.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Phylek wrote:
We give ours watercolors and stuff. She loves coloring. Playing with play doh, kinetic sand, stickers. She'll entertain herself for hours if necessary. It may require a decent amount of cleanup after, but she's learning to clean up, as well. Which also takes time.

We've bought a lot of that stuff on Amazon.

Too bad we can't schedule a play date.
I can't get her interested in any of that. I keep buying more and more of that stuff irrationally, and reintroducing her to that kind of engagement over and over. But she doesn't relate to the world that way. She relates to the world as an extrovert. Boy did she ever thrive before the pandemic. Now that she has no social engagement with the world, she's dependent on her interactions with me, and playing with me. I could do it for two and half months, but with every passing day it's been like holding a weight that keeps getting heavier and heavier.

All I can hope is she'll change into a different kind of kid, instead of just deteriorating.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

One of the great saving graces for us, like OriginalAZ, is that we have two girls, 2.5 and 4. They play great together. I wish I could help. Does she like dress up or dolls or anything like that? Do you think she could do something interactive like the Wii?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Phylek wrote:One of the great saving graces for us, like OriginalAZ, is that we have two girls, 2.5 and 4. They play great together. I wish I could help. Does she like dress up or dolls or anything like that? Do you think she could do something interactive like the Wii?
The Wii? I haven’t thought about that in 15 years. I didn’t know they still exist. I’ll look into one of those. Thanks!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

FYI- I just merged the 2 mental health threads.

Between this president, The Corona Virus, and the current racial tensions.... I am really having a tough time. Thank you to all of you who have been sharing here. I find no joy in hearing about your struggles but I do find it comforting to share this space with others.

I, like many of you, hide this side of myself to many of my closest friends and family and cover it up with jokes. This space (BearDown Wildcats) has been a really positive safe space for me to share with people I honestly care about but don't actually know.

Thank you all.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thank you, A. I feel like it helps to just be honest about what we can do, and to hear how we're all trying and finding our limits.

I think in my house we're reaching the family decision to end home isolation and reintegrate. We're going to look into putting our child in daycare and returning to our workplaces, the gym, and the neighborhood pool. Otherwise, we're looking at continuing certain damage to our mental and physical health while the federal government sputters and foments chaos. That's a bigger risk for us than the virus, which we're more likely than not to survive.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Alieberman wrote:FYI- I just merged the 2 mental health threads.

Between this president, The Corona Virus, and the current racial tensions.... I am really having a tough time. Thank you to all of you who have been sharing here. I find no joy in hearing about your struggles but I do find it comforting to share this space with others.

I, like many of you, hide this side of myself to many of my closest friends and family and cover it up with jokes. This space (BearDown Wildcats) has been a really positive safe space for me to share with people I honestly care about but don't actually know.

Thank you all.
I used to hide it, I felt embarrassed. But I realized there are a lot of people that are feeling the same way. Besides medication, I do exercise daily. I bought a spin bike and do that 3-4 days a week. I also lift weights and take long walks. The energy boost you get from exercising really helps. I also try not to sit and watch tv for long periods of time. I need to be moving.

One last thing. When you go outside and walk pass people, say "hi" to them. Hearing them say "hi" back with a smile makes you feel good, especially with what is going on in our country.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Irish27 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:FYI- I just merged the 2 mental health threads.

Thank you all.
I used to hide it, I felt embarrassed. But I realized there are a lot of people that are feeling the same way. Besides medication, I do exercise daily. I bought a spin bike and do that 3-4 days a week. I also lift weights and take long walks. The energy boost you get from exercising really helps. I also try not to sit and watch tv for long periods of time. I need to be moving.

One last thing. When you go outside and walk pass people, say "hi" to them. Hearing them say "hi" back with a smile makes you feel good, especially with what is going on in our country.
We're up to around 30,000 steps a day in our neighborhood and getting to know the walkers and their dogs. It's actually by virtue of their dogs that we come to know people. We see peoples' patterns and habits and there is a sense of shared response to the weirdness of life at the moment. But even the weirdness is beginning to feel normal. There is an interesting old guy, ancient really, an old world Ashkenazi with two bright poodles. I look forward to our brief encounters. But last night he bummed me out: he said "We're obviously on the same schedule. I watch Tucker and then head out with my dogs." Sigh.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Merging the two threads has caused me considerable anxiety and depression.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Irish27 wrote:
I totally agree. It does help.

I think my current problem is that I'm not running because of the heat and I'm not swimming because I haven't rejoined my club.

I'm not thinking of totally ending isolation but I am strongly considering rejoining my club so I can at least swim.... that will help.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:

I think in my house we're reaching the family decision to end home isolation and reintegrate. We're going to look into putting our child in daycare and returning to our workplaces, the gym, and the neighborhood pool. Otherwise, we're looking at continuing certain damage to our mental and physical health while the federal government sputters and foments chaos. That's a bigger risk for us than the virus, which we're more likely than not to survive.
We decided last night we're gonna try to hold out for the end of June before bolting to some new place to bleach down a hotel room and hike for a couple days. I can't imagine what it's gonna feel like to have an al fresco meal at a restaurant someday. It's weird enough just going to the bank.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Chicat wrote:I am both saddened and heartened that so many would seem to be in the same boat as I am.

Without reading the article posted below your post, my uneducated opinion is that depression is NOT part of our intended evolution, but rather, depression is our mental capacity's deeply bewildered reaction to human advancement moving WAY ahead of our intended evolutionary state. In other words, our current physical evolution cannot keep up with the current, faster moving state of our human advancement.

We as humans evolved to be hunter/gatherers and minimalist farmers. During our hunter/gatherer era our intended evolution equally matched our human advancement. In short, fast forward to now, and at a deeply primordial level, our physical existence is utterly overwhelmed by the state of our advancement, which is overly digitized, over worked, and increasingly moving into an addictive online brand. And that's all not to even mention how centuries of commuting, industrialization, and urban living have disconnected us from our biologically intended self.

To look at how our current state of human advancement overshadows our physical self, and to pick one of many examples to point out, none of us have quiet times in our head any more. The brain at rest from stimulation (loud music, fighting traffic, texting, checking twitter, etc) served as a time of needed sleep for our brain and also served as a time of introspective coming to terms with ourselves. When we don't ever give our brain introspective rest to privately think anymore, ongoing depression seems to be one of the natural reactions to our constant state of being mentally overwhelmed on a subconscious level.

This isn't meant to be a practical help to anybody, just my abstract thoughts on what might be going on beneath the surface.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We are doing a ton of camping this summer and have been able to secure some places as they slowly reopen.

Sacramento has been awesome basically converting midtown to one lane traffic and pedestrian only, and letting all the resturants set up seating in the sidewalks. It’s very charming and safe. Had tapas the other night and even through it just an above average Spanish restaurant, just about tasted like the best ever.

Also booked another Shasta trip for July. Going to go up the north side, which will be new for me. I need to go on this trip because it’s the only thing that keeps me honest with my nutrition and fitness in preparation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Also had our first play date with another family today in a hike. It was really good seeing my daughter and her friend skipping laughing and running down the trail.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The nature of my wife's job makes it impossible to take off a day ever. Her job is really ramping up in fact. Maybe I should take the four year-old off into the woods. Are there informational guides about what to buy and how to camp? I haven't done it since I was a little kid.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatsbyAZ wrote:

Without reading the article posted below your post, my uneducated opinion is that depression is NOT part of our intended evolution, but rather, depression is our mental capacity's deeply bewildered reaction to human advancement moving WAY ahead of our intended evolutionary state. In other words, our current physical evolution cannot keep up with the current, faster moving state of our human advancement.

We as humans evolved to be hunter/gatherers and minimalist farmers. During our hunter/gatherer era our intended evolution equally matched our human advancement. In short, fast forward to now, and at a deeply primordial level, our physical existence is utterly overwhelmed by the state of our advancement, which is overly digitized, over worked, and increasingly moving into an addictive online brand. And that's all not to even mention how centuries of commuting, industrialization, and urban living have disconnected us from our biologically intended self.

To look at how our current state of human advancement overshadows our physical self, and to pick one of many examples to point out, none of us have quiet times in our head any more. The brain at rest from stimulation (loud music, fighting traffic, texting, checking twitter, etc) served as a time of needed sleep for our brain and also served as a time of introspective coming to terms with ourselves. When we don't ever give our brain introspective rest to privately think anymore, ongoing depression seems to be one of the natural reactions to our constant state of being mentally overwhelmed on a subconscious level.

This isn't meant to be a practical help to anybody, just my abstract thoughts on what might be going on beneath the surface.
Never really thought of it like that. The article you mention actually posits that depression is a natural and historic trait that serves a purpose of ordering our thoughts and dwelling on issues so we can analytically solve them.

I'm more inclined to your line of thinking. I used to lay down and watch clouds go by as a kid. My kids have literally never done that. And of course I haven't done that either. There is so little time in our waking lives for complete quiet even in our own minds.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:The nature of my wife's job makes it impossible to take off a day ever. Her job is really ramping up in fact. Maybe I should take the four year-old off into the woods. Are there informational guides about what to buy and how to camp? I haven't done it since I was a little kid.
You don't want to camp with a 4 year old unless you already camp all the time. Just walk around in the mountains. Get out of the heat for short little hikes after long drives. You'll both enjoy it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

LH

Here is number one reason why you need to learn to camp.

Take all the things you know how to do in a kitchen and try to replicate over and open fire.

This literally is one my my favorite things in life.

Cooking bomb 5* leave meals over an open flame is the most primitive and sublime experiences. Universal. We’ll slamming down camp fire paella and himemade ravioli, while other choke down a hot dog.

Nothing against a good campfire hotdog, but the challenge of elevating camp food is really fun for me.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:LH

Take all the things you know how to do in a kitchen and try to replicate over and open fire.

Cooking bomb 5* leave meals over an open flame is the most primitive and sublime experiences. Universal. We’ll slamming down camp fire paella and himemade ravioli, while other choke down a hot dog.

Nothing against a good campfire hotdog, but the challenge of elevating camp food is really fun for me.
Sounds great but I couldn't even cook in a kitchen if my wife weren't running interference and providing full protection. If I tried to cook outdoors over a fire, this kid would jump off a cliff and the forest would be on fire.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What chi said.

Start simple.

Get a tent

Set it up in the family room. Let your daughter think it’s her castle.

The take it to the back yard, do s’mores over a backyard fire pit. Spend a backyard night under the Stars

Teach her to build a fire. Go on day hikes etc and just build up to it.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

CalStateTempe wrote:What chi said.

Start simple.

Get a tent

Set it up in the family room. Let your daughter think it’s her castle.

The take it to the back yard, do s’mores over a backyard fire pit. Spend a backyard night under the Stars

Teach her to build a fire. Go on day hikes etc and just build up to it.
This is great advice. My daughter is ready to go past the yard, yet.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:LH

Sounds great but I couldn't even cook in a kitchen if my wife weren't running interference and providing full protection. If I tried to cook outdoors over a fire, this kid would jump off a cliff and the forest would be on fire.
Pack a picnic and drive up to the north face of Mt. Lemmon. At that aspect under the ski lift there are 50" diameter 900 year old Doug Firs. It smells different up there. Switching up your sensory inputs is always a good thing. Go as early as possible, maybe try to catch a sunrise.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

There's too much happening, right now. Our society is devolving. It's really hitting me. Facebook is not helping because I'm coming to realize how many people are truly racist.

I'm disheartened. Which says a lot. I had trouble getting out of bed this morning.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Same I've felt truly awful all day. It blows my mind that this is real life and I worry that I'm somehow part of the problem. I haven't felt this anxious about the world around me ever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

All we ever needed to get here is to elect a psychopath to be President of the United States. Things are really shaken up!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Phylek wrote:There's too much happening, right now. Our society is devolving. It's really hitting me. Facebook is not helping because I'm coming to realize how many people are truly racist.

I'm disheartened. Which says a lot. I had trouble getting out of bed this morning.
Facebook is Russian malware. Dump it
-JB