Post by cats101 »

Lemon pepper salmon
Brown Rice
Broccoli
Half avocado
Chicat

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by Chicat »

Leftover Kentucky Legend Ham & cheddar sandwiches on ciabatta rolls with potatoes au gratin, broccoli florets, and salad.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

po boys, po boys, and mo po boys.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:po boys, po boys, and mo po boys.
Sounds like my upcoming trip to New Orleans.

Tonight: Danish pea soup and Danish pancakes. I like pancakes so much that I think I'll have Frontier Flapjacks tomorrow night. Since there's no such thing as "Frontier Flapjacks" I'll have to invent them between tonight and tomorrow night.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fried oysters po boy last night
Thanksgiving Po boy night.

Muffalata from Central grocery tomorrow.

Surprizingly I am only up 4 lbs from 2weeks ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:po boys, po boys, and mo po boys.
Sounds like my upcoming trip to New Orleans.

Tonight: Danish pea soup and Danish pancakes. I like pancakes so much that I think I'll have Frontier Flapjacks tomorrow night. Since there's no such thing as "Frontier Flapjacks" I'll have to invent them between tonight and tomorrow night.
I bet they really stick to your ribs.

Saw that in a Saturday morning cartoon once.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:Fried oysters po boy last night
Thanksgiving Po boy night.

Muffalata from Central grocery tomorrow.

Surprizingly I am only up 4 lbs from 2weeks ago.
Wow! So you've only eaten a surplus of 14,000 calories over two weeks. That's only 2,000 a day extra, or about double what you normally eat. Way to show restraint, CST!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Leftover Kentucky Legend Ham & cheddar sandwiches on ciabatta rolls with potatoes au gratin, broccoli florets, and salad.
Leftover ham is great. There is so much you can do with it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:Leftover Kentucky Legend Ham & cheddar sandwiches on ciabatta rolls with potatoes au gratin, broccoli florets, and salad.
Yep, tomorrow morning it's going into an omelet. Might make some Cuban sandwiches with it on Sunday.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Yep, tomorrow morning it's going into an omelet. Might make some Cuban sandwiches with it on Sunday.
Let me get this straight. You basically started with one of those True Hams as One Dreams of Hams and sat down to it as a regular family dinner on an everyday autumn evening like you were some kind of Victorian era factory owner? And you did this rather than having that ham as the centerpiece of some kind of large, special gathering of colleagues or extended family you don't wish to see? And then you end up with all of these leftovers of top quality ham to use in various sandwiches, omelets, etc. for days to come? If I have that straight, that's ingenious.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Let me get this straight. You basically started with one of those True Hams as One Dreams of Hams and sat down to it as a regular family dinner on an everyday autumn evening like you were some kind of Victorian era factory owner? And you did this rather than having that ham as the centerpiece of some kind of large, special gathering of colleagues or extended family you don't wish to see? And then you end up with all of these leftovers of top quality ham to use in various sandwiches, omelets, etc. for days to come? If I have that straight, that's ingenious.
Whenever I find a good price on a quality ham I get it and cook it all so we can have leftovers for days.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
azgreg wrote:
Yep, you pretty much nailed it. Got a ham at a good price. Cooked it for the family as a regular weeknight dinner. Now there's ham for as far as the eye can see.

My sister moved here from Boston and has been raving about Midwest meats. I never really thought about it, but the quality and cost of meat here in the heartland can't be replicated on either coast. So now she's exploring all kinds of things like summer sausage that she either never saw before or were too expensive when she lived in Boston.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Whenever I find a good price on a quality ham I get it and cook it all so we can have leftovers for days.
When you say "quality ham" do you mean a ham in its own juices with no water added? I don't know what a good price is, but the usual price I see for those is around $70 at Safeway in Phoenix in December, when I'm usually trying to put together something for Christmas Eve.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote: Whenever I find a good price on a quality ham I get it and cook it all so we can have leftovers for days.
When you say "quality ham" do you mean a ham in its own juices with no water added? I don't know what a good price is, but the usual price I see for those is around $70 at Safeway in Phoenix in December, when I'm usually trying to put together something for Christmas Eve.
Yea, I try to avoid ham that has water added.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:I think I'll have Frontier Flapjacks tomorrow night. Since there's no such thing as "Frontier Flapjacks" I'll have to invent them between tonight and tomorrow night.
Frontier Flapjacks

This stick-to-your ribs recipe will make you look and feel like a frontiersman. The execution of the cooking process requires yourself, one woman, and two children. The woman, who may or may not be your wife, should wear a cloth over her hair for best effect. Modernize equipment and ingredients as you feel fit. A gas grill may replace the open fire, and probably one of the children. Drink whisky with the pancakes.

Equipment and Preparations
A large, well-seasoned cast-iron pan
A cast-iron pot with a lid
A ladle
A spatula
Cooking mitts
An open fire
Tin plates for eating off of

Ingredients:
Your usual pancake recipe for 4-6 servings, but with half of the flour replaced with whole wheat flour, and with a cup of cooked wheat berries added to the mix (just simmer them in water for an hour and strain)
Butter
Grade B maple syrup

Cooking Process:

Grease the inside of the pot with butter and have the woman hold the pot near the fire until warm. Then tell her to step back from the fire and position your younger child beside her. She should stay close enough to the fire to maintain the warmth of the pot.

Have your older child wear oven mitts and hold the cast-iron pan over the fire. When hot enough, add some butter to the pan and let melt. When melted, ladle some of the pancake mix into the pan. When bubbles appear all over, flip the flapjack to the other side and cook briefly. Yell, "Omaha!", at which point your younger child must lift the lid off the pot held by the woman while you slide the flapjack into the pot. The younger child must then cover the pot immediately to keep the flapjack warm while the others are cooking. Melt more butter in the pan. Repeat until all of the flapjacks are cooked.

During the process, your older child will complain about the intense heat and the weight of the cast-iron pan. Tell him to man up and keep it steady. You could just set the pan directly on some hot coals, but then there would be no lesson learned.

After the final flapjack is cooked, tell the woman to place the flapjacks on individual tin plates.

Add a little more butter to the cast iron pan and let it melt. Then -- this is the important part -- pour a bunch of maple syrup into the pan and let it all bubble up with the heat. Pour this hot, buttery syrup directly over each plate of pancakes. You'll be glad you did.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I think I'll have Frontier Flapjacks tomorrow night. Since there's no such thing as "Frontier Flapjacks" I'll have to invent them between tonight and tomorrow night.
Frontier Flapjacks

This stick-to-your ribs recipe will make you look and feel like a frontiersman. The execution of the cooking process requires yourself, one woman, and two children. The woman, who may or may not be your wife, should wear a cloth over her hair for best effect. Modernize equipment and ingredients as you feel fit. A gas grill may replace the open fire, and probably one of the children. Drink whisky with the pancakes.

Equipment and Preparations
A large, well-seasoned cast-iron pan
A cast-iron pot with a lid
A ladle
A spatula
Cooking mitts
An open fire
Tin plates for eating off of

Ingredients:
Your usual pancake recipe for 4-6 servings, but with half of the flour replaced with whole wheat flour, and with a cup of cooked wheat berries added to the mix (just simmer them in water for an hour and strain)
Butter
Grade B maple syrup

Cooking Process:

Grease the inside of the pot with butter and have the woman hold the pot near the fire until warm. Then tell her to step back from the fire and position your younger child beside her. She should stay close enough to the fire to maintain the warmth of the pot.

Have your older child wear oven mitts and hold the cast-iron pan over the fire. When hot enough, add some butter to the pan and let melt. When melted, ladle some of the pancake mix into the pan. When bubbles appear all over, flip the flapjack to the other side and cook briefly. Yell, "Omaha!", at which point your younger child must lift the lid off the pot held by the woman while you slide the flapjack into the pot. The younger child must then cover the pot immediately to keep the flapjack warm while the others are cooking. Melt more butter in the pan. Repeat until all of the flapjacks are cooked.

During the process, your older child will complain about the intense heat and the weight of the cast-iron pan. Tell him to man up and keep it steady. You could just set the pan directly on some hot coals, but then there would be no lesson learned.

After the final flapjack is cooked, tell the woman to place the flapjacks on individual tin plates.

Add a little more butter to the cast iron pan and let it melt. Then -- this is the important part -- pour a bunch of maple syrup into the pan and let it all bubble up with the heat. Pour this hot, buttery syrup directly over each plate of pancakes. You'll be glad you did.
They were just ok.
Schnebly

Post by Schnebly »

I've decided I'm interested in a notably average meal that teaches timeless lessons about the true value of inconvenience, doing everything the most difficult possible way, eschewing innovation as a no-growth endeavor, and tests gender equity expectations of the modern age. It's go time.

(if anyone needs me this morning, I'll be busy eating uncooked rice using only my hands as a bowl)
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Tonight for the good slate of football games:

BLT Dip
Grilled Tri Tip
Grilled Rosemary Fingerling Potatoes
Sauteed Mushrooms
Caesar Salad
Wine y Cocktails
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I picked up from Trader Joe's an aged Swiss Gruyere and an aged Swiss Emmentaler. Having those with a crusty baguette and a bottle of red wine. That's it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

So this is awesome...digitized menus from restaurants in New York City from 1851-2008

http://menus.nypl.org/menus/sortby/date
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:So this is awesome...digitized menus from restaurants in New York City from 1851-2008

http://menus.nypl.org/menus/sortby/date
I'm really into that.

Grilled sable fish with a teriyaki glaze, Japanese caramelized potatoes, steamed kale with soy sauce and rice vinegar.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spicy cashew chicken lettuce wraps tonight. Easy cooking for a lazy day off.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Dinner last night:

"Beggar's Chicken" using a recipe sorta close to this. I used pork belly and prosciutto instead of lap cheong and stuck a piece of ginseng root under the lotus leaf, and borrowed an overnight marinade from another recipe, but this was the basic thing. Steamed Bok Choy for greens - it was an absolute feast for four.

Dinner tonight:
"Buffalo Wings" (using Stubb's Texas Wing Sauce), corn on the cob, tabouli salad, and potato salad.

'cause life is too short to eat dull food.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Sweet chipotle pork carnitas tacos.

Because it was Tuesday...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I've never had quinoa. However, I'm looking for a white rice replacement and I hate brown rice (it tastes like god hates it). What am I looking at? How does it taste?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I actually love quinoa. It tastes kind of like couscous.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

love quinoa. i like making casseroles out of it. cheese/beans/chicken/enchilada sauce/spices/onions/green chiles/quinoa...bake and serve with sour cream and avocado and green onions.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cool. I'll have to pick some up on the way home today.

P.S. I've never had couscous either.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:Cool. I'll have to pick some up on the way home today.

My head hurts from how hard I just shook it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Cool. I'll have to pick some up on the way home today.

Well, you know how Wheaties taste straight out of the box? It doesn't taste like that.

It doesn't really matter which color quinoa you get, but the red one is pretty.

Be sure to follow the rinsing instructions.

It's hauntingly good with caramelized, pan-roasted corn. Just run a cup of frozen corn kernels under the faucet to defrost them real quickly, and then cook them in butter or olive oil over medium-high for about 5 minutes until it caramelizes, then add some chopped onion and cook that a few minutes until in softens, and then add the quinoa with the stock or water to cook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

In my job I sometimes get tips, and most of the time it's a bottle of booze or wine (which is always appreciated) but today I had a guy bring me some wild Alaskan Sockeye that he says he just caught this last weekend & brought back with him. He says it's a really great batch & that this is his favorite fish.

So anyway, it's in the freezer here at the course & I'm going to take it home & have it tomorrow or Friday night.

Any suggestions on preparation? I normally only grill white flaky fish & tend to stick to the same two or three recipes that I dig. I'm wide open on this...Thanks in advance!!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

tonight i'm roasting some cabbage and brining and grilling some chicken in a lemon/garlic/dijon marinade. nothing fancy.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:In my job I sometimes get tips, and most of the time it's a bottle of booze or wine (which is always appreciated) but today I had a guy bring me some wild Alaskan Sockeye that he says he just caught this last weekend & brought back with him. He says it's a really great batch & that this is his favorite fish.

So anyway, it's in the freezer here at the course & I'm going to take it home & have it tomorrow or Friday night.

Any suggestions on preparation? I normally only grill white flaky fish & tend to stick to the same two or three recipes that I dig. I'm wide open on this...Thanks in advance!!
I'd go either under the broiler in a cast iron pan or on the grill in a fish basket. Probably under the broiler in this case and at this time of year. And I'd either do a teriyaki glaze or lemon and olive oil. Probably the teriyaki for a Sockeye. It goes well with cooking it real good, and you want to cook a wild Alaskan fish real good. Not a candidate for sashimi.

If you're going under the broiler, put the cast iron pan in the heated broiler at the highest setting for five minutes. Meanwhile, rinse off the defrosted fish, dry it thoroughly, and season both sides with salt and pepper. If you're doing a teriyaki glaze, rub both sides of the fish generously with a mild-flavored oil like grapeseed or peanut oil. If you're going with the olive oil and lemon, rub olive oil all over and slice up a lemon into really thin slices. Take the hot pan out of the broiler and slide the fish (and the lemon slices if you're using them) into it skin-side UP toward the flame. Let it crisp the skin for 7 minutes under the broiler, and then take out the pan and turn the fish over. If you're doing the teriyaki glaze, the flesh side is already cooked well enough to take it. Put a glaze over it every 2 minutes until the fish is done. A 1-pound fish could possibly require up to 10 minutes to finish (17 including the skin side). Look for the flesh to turn good and firm. After you remove the fish, cut it and plate the individual pieces, and then do one final glaze of the teriyaki and then a dusting of sesame seeds.

A teriyaki glaze looks stunning on this kind of fish. Here's how you make the teriyaki:

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup mirin or honey
(Don't mess with ginger or garlic)

Put those in a small saucepan over medium heat and adjust the flame to simmer it very softly for 2 minutes. In a little cup, mix 1/2 tablespoon corn starch with 1 tablespoon water. Add that to the liquid in the saucepan and simmer softly for another couple minutes while it becomes a glaze. Glaze it over the fish with a brush.

If you're doing the other recipe, the grilled lemon slices are delicious on the fish. Serve it with lemon wedges.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Ended up doing a pork roast with yellow rice and California stir fry veggies.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Longhorned you just got me so excited. Thank You Sir!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Enjoy, BDV!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

if Longhorned's way is too long you can always microwave it for 10 minutes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:if Longhorned's way is too long you can always microwave it for 10 minutes.
I think I remember that being a really good way to cook fish. Like so good that a microwave should be marketed as a fish cooking machine. But I don't own a microwave because I've never found it to be faster than what you can do in an oven or on a stovetop.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

roast chicken stuffed with lemon/garlic/sage/rosemary/thyme to make the meat really flavorful and typical veggies
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thursday night! Pea soup and pancakes
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Tonight will be pork chops, julienne potatoes, and peas and carrots.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Making a big batch of chilli tonight.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Having a bomb ass carnitas burrito for lunch
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Cooking all day long for tonight's dinner:

Boston baked beans, New Englander cornbread, roasted acorn squash
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Costco Pizza with Kirkland Pinot Grigio.

Thats how we roll.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wild Alaskan halibut, broiled and basted with a sauce of butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lemon

Purple Viking potatoes, broiled with the halibut

Green kale
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chili and cornbread.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Got a beautiful but criminally under-seasoned New York strip at a restaurant that reminded me that 9 out every 10 great steaks I've eaten has come out of my own kitchen.