Why I Own The World

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Why I Own The World

Post by Merkin »

scumdevils86 wrote:Closing on our house at 9:30 AM tomorrow. Taking our time moving and getting some improvements and repairs done. We've been living so frugally for so long and saving so aggressively it has been a bit of a shock spending so much money on a new bed, fridge, painters, movers, couch, dining room furniture...

But we worked really hard to be in a place to be able to pay for everything in cash so I should just get over it.
You may want to take a look at this house before you close. Make sure you scroll through all the images.

https://my.flexmls.com/traviskempf/sear ... link_modal" target="_blank
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:Closing on our house at 9:30 AM tomorrow. Taking our time moving and getting some improvements and repairs done. We've been living so frugally for so long and saving so aggressively it has been a bit of a shock spending so much money on a new bed, fridge, painters, movers, couch, dining room furniture...

But we worked really hard to be in a place to be able to pay for everything in cash so I should just get over it.
You may want to take a look at this house before you close. Make sure you scroll through all the images.

https://my.flexmls.com/traviskempf/sear ... link_modal" target="_blank
How much do ya think it would take to put that house on the back of a truck and to drive it to someplace worth living?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Lol that got real weird real fast
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

CalStateTempe wrote:Buy yourself a bad ass new grill.

That was my first new house purchase.
Closing on my new house in 3 weeks. I'm thinking of getting a pellet grill.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OriginalAZ wrote:

I have had pretty every kind of smoker, and without a doubt, my pellet smoker is 10 times as useful as any of my other smokers. Just set it, and forget it.

Pellets are really cheap too.

I use my pellet smoker at least twice a week.

And congrats on your new house!

My brother in OV is going to sell his house since kids are grown up and mother in law has passed on, but having a real hard time finding a house since the ones he is interested in sell in a week or less.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

On my way to get the keys to the house!
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Merkin wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:

I have had pretty every kind of smoker, and without a doubt, my pellet smoker is 10 times as useful as any of my other smokers. Just set it, and forget it.

My brother in OV is going to sell his house since kids are grown up and mother in law has passed on, but having a real hard time finding a house since the ones he is interested in sell in a week or less.
Thanks. Any recommendations for pellet grill brand? I been looking at Green Mountain, Rec Tec and Traeger.
We are listing our current house in Phoenix (Ahwatukee) for sale tomorrow. Our realtor is pretty confident it will sell quick.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

scumdevils86 wrote:On my way to get the keys to the house!
Congrats! That's a great feeling to finally have your own place.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

OriginalAZ wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:On my way to get the keys to the house!
Congrats! That's a great feeling to finally have your own place.
Well Sd86 and I owned a condo together for 15 years but it's not the same as him actually owning a house with his wife finally instead of renting a old crappy 750 square foot guest house lol
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

OriginalAZ wrote:
Merkin wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:

Thanks. Any recommendations for pellet grill brand? I been looking at Green Mountain, Rec Tec and Traeger.
We are listing our current house in Phoenix (Ahwatukee) for sale tomorrow. Our realtor is pretty confident it will sell quick.
Rec Tec!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

OriginalAZ wrote:
I have a Z Grill and it's fantastic. Used generic pellets which saves a lot of money. My OV brother has a Traeger which are twice the price, and requires Traeger pellets since they have soybean oil as a lubricant in them.

This is the one I have. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Z-Grills-ZPG ... atEALw_wcB" target="_blank

Only thing I wish it had was a drop out bottom for ashes. Now I just use a shop vac to suck them out.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Merkin wrote:
OriginalAZ wrote:
I have a Z Grill and it's fantastic. Used generic pellets which saves a lot of money. My OV brother has a Traeger which are twice the price, and requires Traeger pellets since they have soybean oil as a lubricant in them.

This is the one I have. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Z-Grills-ZPG ... atEALw_wcB" target="_blank

Only thing I wish it had was a drop out bottom for ashes. Now I just use a shop vac to suck them out.
Another hair z grill owner here
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Youngest brother today starts first day of classes at University of Arizona! Of us four siblings we all attended different high schools in Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, and here in Arizona, but all four of us have ended up proud Wildcats! Beardown, Caleb!
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:My current regional coordinator is now engaged and wanted a shift in her job. She’s in discussions to become the Media Director and face/voice of the BBB in Southern California both English/Spanish.

She recommended me to be her Yuma/Imperial Replacement, so I took it to our CEO last week in our Yearly chat. To my surprise not only was our CEO on board, he said it was his and my actual Marketing Boss’ plan for about a year now that when the Region was opened, it was mine. No external search, only internal, and with my connections, there’s nobody internal who could beat me out.

The job requires PR, Media Skills, Budget Management, Event Coordination, Marketing, Sales, Photography, Social Media.

So, basically everything I did and taught for NAU before that trainwreck derailed.

It will see my base pay double, and I will be the lone sales executive which should net me about $20k on top of the base.

Nothing is ever final until it is, and I’m tempting fate posting this now, as I know these types of brags backfired with NAU, but this just feels different.

My guess is the Region will be mine by Christmas, or by next Summer by the latest.

Long ways off, but it could also happen by September, because the only thing holding this up is that Media Director position being created and my director moving.

But that’s her intent and the BBB’s intent.

Maybe it happens. Maybe it doesn’t.

But it felt really cool to have the best BBB CEO in the country tell me they always knew they had a perfect candidate in place for when the spot opened.

But, seriously, I had our County Philanthropist and Citizen Of The Year for 2018 tell me I’m the man who saved the BBB in our region. So, this reinforces that.
So, as always happens with me, this got weird, but in the weirdest of weird ways.

I had basically agreed to all of this over the summer, and it, at the time, seemed it would likely be happening very soon, likely by the fall. My then boss in the next few weeks broke off her engagement and then started to hedge on whether she wanted California at all. She started to try to dictate salary a bit too much and usage too often and, after 17 years including 8 as regional director, yesterday she was terminated so I am now I am “The Man” and I am still trying wrap my head around this. It certainly wasn’t the way I wanted this, and, it now puts me in the difficult position of explaining to people how the public and very pretty face of the BBB media side isn’t with the BBB anymore despite her tenure, while not slandering at all since she was popular and it’s a small community, but deep down knowing there were a ton of little and several decent sized things that built up to this and while timing hit from out of nowhere, a part of me is surprised it didn’t happen prior. I think they wanted to move her away from the day to day responsibilities that she seemingly had no interest in anymore (I have done half of them for 1+ years) into only media and when she balked at new role because pay increase wasn’t enough for a move, firmly told them her plans, and three days later was let go.

I feel bad, as she is a good person, but she’s become oddly erratic in day to day and efforts and even off-putting to work with or to our members, so, in my mind, this move is a year overdue, though I wished that media role had worked out. It was ideal for all parties and not sure why she didn’t accept the job considering she told everyone a year ago she was burnt out on this and needed a new scene.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

JMarkJohns wrote:My current regional coordinator is now engaged and wanted a shift in her job. She’s in discussions to become the Media Director and face/voice of the BBB in Southern California both English/Spanish.

She recommended me to be her Yuma/Imperial Replacement, so I took it to our CEO last week in our Yearly chat. To my surprise not only was our CEO on board, he said it was his and my actual Marketing Boss’ plan for about a year now that when the Region was opened, it was mine. No external search, only internal, and with my connections, there’s nobody internal who could beat me out.

The job requires PR, Media Skills, Budget Management, Event Coordination, Marketing, Sales, Photography, Social Media.

So, basically everything I did and taught for NAU before that trainwreck derailed.

It will see my base pay double, and I will be the lone sales executive which should net me about $20k on top of the base.

Nothing is ever final until it is, and I’m tempting fate posting this now, as I know these types of brags backfired with NAU, but this just feels different.

My guess is the Region will be mine by Christmas, or by next Summer by the latest.

Long ways off, but it could also happen by September, because the only thing holding this up is that Media Director position being created and my director moving.

But that’s her intent and the BBB’s intent.

Maybe it happens. Maybe it doesn’t.

But it felt really cool to have the best BBB CEO in the country tell me they always knew they had a perfect candidate in place for when the spot opened.

But, seriously, I had our County Philanthropist and Citizen Of The Year for 2018 tell me I’m the man who saved the BBB in our region. So, this reinforces that.
Promotion confirmed today...

Community Development Director
... 66% Pay Increase in base pay, and I keep all my commissions from my marketing consultations.

Net gain of about 25% of previous Gross Yearly total.

So, I’m kind of a big deal!

My boss said “you deserve every penny and it’s overdue as far as I’m concerned.”

Cool.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Right on man!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

JMJ curb stomps 2020! Perhaps the worm has turned!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’m getting Lasik in an hour. Everyone say a Bear Down for me.

If things go wrong, my posting output is going to go WAY down. :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:01 pm I’m getting Lasik in an hour. Everyone say a Bear Down for me.

Best of luck Chi.

Look at this way, if something does go wrong you won't have to watch Arizona football like the rest of us. :lol:
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Have Siri do all the posting for you.

“Hey Siri, tell chiefzona to fuck off.”
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:01 pm I’m getting Lasik in an hour. Everyone say a Bear Down for me.

Remember, there's a very low mortality rate from that procedure. Bear Down!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good news! (Or bad news, depending on your opinion of my posts)

Surgery went off without a hitch and I have 20/15 vision. Wish I had done this years ago. Fuck contacts and glasses!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Eagle eyes!

Mine was great the first 10 or 15 years but ended up having to go back to (much thinner) glasses. I could probably get a correction but need reading glasses now anyways (LASIK staved those off a few years according to my optometrist).

Don't think I could handle the one eye for close up, one eye for distance correction.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I've always been worried about doing it for the minor risks involved and the fact that it usually deteriorates in 10 to 15 years. Been working with like 20/400 vision for 25 years now and wouldn't know what to do if I didn't need glasses!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'd like to not need glasses but I've worn them most of my life and I'm used to them and I think I look better with them? Would be strange to not have them anymore

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If it lasts 15 years it will be well worth the money. I'll be in my late 50s by then and would just go back to glasses or maybe even get it redone.

But holy shit, it's amazing to not be wearing glasses or fucking around putting in contacts and being able to see. And my vision wasn't even all that bad before (-2.00).
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

I had Lasik done in Mexico about 20 years ago. Best money I ever spent.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Baby scumdevils86 coming July/August 2021.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Congrats! Way to put that quarantine time to good use!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Way to go scum! So happy for you guys!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

A few months before we thought but I couldn't be happier. In the future it will seem odd that 2020 held such great things for me.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:38 pm Baby scumdevils86 coming July/August 2021.
Congrats! Is your wife still going to get vaccinated
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yes she is. She talked to the ob who said they absolutely would right now. Everything is a risk but being sick with Covid while pregnant is a bigger fear for sure.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:38 pm Baby scumdevils86 coming July/August 2021.
Congrats! You know, your wife is Wonder Woman. She's gonna save the world from Covidiots and make an honest man out of you all at the same time. Gal Gadot is jealous.

~ Wilhoit's Law
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

congrats to the both of you!
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Congratulations to the both of you.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Congratulations. That's really excited. 2020 had had a couple big positives for you guys.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea it's pretty odd in some ways. This has been personally the best year of my life. Contrasting that against the utter shit show, grease fire that surrounds me is just, unnerving? Almost like some bastardized version of survivor's guilt.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I couldn't be happier for Sd86 and the Mrs myself. This is a big deal for me to become an uncle...

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fantastic! The best years of your life are starting now. Heck, still hang out with my 34 year old first born son.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Not gonna lie, as someone with literally negative experience with kids I am terrified. Luckily my wife practically raised her half-siblings and spent about 10 years as a babysitter, professional nanny, and preschool teacher before she became a nurse. She is about as experienced as you can get without actually having a kid of her own before.

I'm sure I'll ask some of you old farts questions though. 35 years old with my first kid. Crazy to think I'll be pushing 60 when they're done with college...
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

scumdevils86 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:46 pm Not gonna lie, as someone with literally negative experience with kids I am terrified. Luckily my wife practically raised her half-siblings and spent about 10 years as a babysitter, professional nanny, and preschool teacher before she became a nurse. She is about as experienced as you can get without actually having a kid of her own before.

I'm sure I'll ask some of you old farts questions though. 35 years old with my first kid. Crazy to think I'll be pushing 60 when they're done with college...
Perfectly healthy, ASU hatin', crunchy, liberal 12.5 week old baby scumdevils86 coming along nicely.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

We bequeath the future to you little one.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Man oh man I hope the world is a place worth living in when this kid is my age.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Great parents will make it a great world no matter who or where they are.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Here here! Congrats Scum!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Congratulations! I remember my wife’s first ultra sound. I almost puked in the room. As the technician was taking measurements and pictures, she was explaining what they are looking for and the different birth defects and development issues that could arise. I didn’t want to hear that shit at all. my mind just started racing and I became super nauseous. I think I rocked back and forth in my chair the entire time without saying a damn word. My wife on the other hand was the happiest as she could be looking at the monitor and smiling the entire time.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea it has been hard because I can't be there for any of her appointments. Just have to see the pictures and hear about it after the fact. Really bummed to be missing out on being with her in the room.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just don't take the little hell raiser to a restaurant after 7pm!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I go to bed at 8 half the time now anyway. I couldn't tell you the last time my wife and I went to dinner (pre Covid) before 7 pm. We're typically happy hour type 4-6 pm diners :lol: