Motorcycles

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Motorcycles

Post by Longhorned »

I beg you not to ride one. I realize it's probably too late to ask of anyone who already does, but if you're thinking about it, please just don't. And make your kids swear they never will.

I was behind a motorcycle yesterday going westbound on 22nd St. An eastbound car turning left onto Swan didn't see him. His body and his motorcycle both instantly burst into many pieces. My five year old in the backseat saw it, so I'm a little worried. I and my wife are obviously not fully okay about seeing it, either.

I googled it today, and got results for countless iterations of the exact same motorcycle accident, including on 22nd St. and Swan.

One of my students died exactly the same way, too. After returning to the U.S. after surviving combat in Iraq. On his way to get a haircut from going out to dinner with his family who came to town for his graduation.

People drive their cars with no regard for human life. Please don't put yourself in that situation.

And when you're turning left, don't just look for cars and go. Take another second and look for those small, fast motorcycles with riders dressed all in black like the road itself. Ignore the person honking behind you. They can't see what you see.
EastCoastCat

Re: Motorcycles

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thanks LH. My 22 year old son just bought one and my wife are more than nervous. He says he will be safe and cautious but we tell him it’s not him but other drivers who won’t see him or drive recklessly.

You can survive a car collision with your seatbelt. Not the same with a motorcycle.

He’s an adult so can’t stop him but god are we worried.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My 35 year old nephew with 2 kids and one on the way just bought a brand new Harley. I think he's a fucking idiot.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The thing about motorcycles is that even if you are in the right, if you get into an accident with a 4 wheeled vehicle you will lose everytime.

I was just talking to my sons about that. I will never get on a motorcycle ever again. Used to have a Kawasaki 750 many years ago before marriage.

Last week I was driving to Lowe's, and about a mile from my house there were a bunch of cop cars and a body under a yellow tarp.

Single vehicle accident. MC rider lost control and ran into a tree.

My youngest brother has a huge Harley. He and his wife used to take trips on it all the time. I told him they better get her another motorcycle. If you get into an accident, you both will die. Fortunately he bought himself a new Jeep Wrangler and now they take that more often.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm Thanks LH. My 22 year old son just bought one and my wife are more than nervous. He says he will be safe and cautious but we tell him it’s not him but other drivers who won’t see him or drive recklessly.

You can survive a car collision with your seatbelt. Not the same with a motorcycle.

I feel for you. I guess the thing I'm starting to appreciate is visibility. I'm wondering if one of the main differences between safer and less safe riding is whether or not your gear is brightly colored.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:46 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:33 pm Thanks LH. My 22 year old son just bought one and my wife are more than nervous. He says he will be safe and cautious but we tell him it’s not him but other drivers who won’t see him or drive recklessly.

I feel for you. I guess the thing I'm starting to appreciate is visibility. I'm wondering if one of the main differences between safer and less safe riding is whether or not your gear is brightly colored.
Like my Harley brother says, the nice thing about Harleys is that you hear them coming before you see them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have a Yamaha V Star I ride every so often. Short trips mostly like to the grocery store for single items.

I can attest cars just don’t see you. I can also tell you that at some point in one’s life riding a bike that you will lay that bike down.

I never rode a bike until after my kids were grown and on their own. My wife hates it but my senses are very heightened when I ride. Still I ride far less now then I ever did and I hope none of my kids pick up my bad habit and poor example
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:47 pm
Longhorned wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:46 pm

Like my Harley brother says, the nice thing about Harleys is that you hear them coming before you see them.
Well, at least it is a Harley and yes it’s loud as shit.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I saw a motorcycle get hit on a left turn at Glenn & Tucson once. It was one of the worst things I have ever seen. I had a scooter in the mid 80s for about 1 year. I haven't been on a motorcycle since and will never ride one again. I would love to have one as they are fun to ride but I like living more than riding
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One of my friends has a neighbor who loved to see how fast his MC could go.

They call him Lefty now.

Local to me:

https://calcoastnews.com/2021/06/two-mo ... y-crashes/

A pair of motorcyclists died in crashes in Northern Santa Barbara County during Memorial Day weekend.

First, a motorcyclist crashed in Santa Maria at about 8 a.m. Sunday. No other vehicles were involved in the crash, which occurred near the intersection of McCoy Lane and College Avenue, according to the Santa Maria Police Department.

Officers arrived at the intersection and found the motorcyclist, whom responders pronounced dead at the scene. Police say the deceased motorcyclist was a Hispanic man. Authorities are withholding the man’s identity while they notify relatives.

Then on Monday afternoon, a motorcycle collided with a vehicle on the southbound Highway 101 offramp at Bell Street in Los Alamos. Responders pronounced the motorcyclist dead at the scene of the crash, according to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department.

Fire officials say the driver of the vehicle involved in the crash did not suffer injuries. Law enforcement personnel are investigating the Los Alamos collision.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Even on a bicycle, I get really high on endorphins and make stupid decisions. I recently reacted to something in the road ahead. Instead of slowing down, I made a sudden turn without realizing it was 2nd St., got sucked into the tram tracks and flew over the handlebars, injuring me and the bike. The only thing that actually slows me down is dragging a 65-pound trailer with a kid in it.

The drivers are horrible enough even on the Bike Boulevard along 3rd St., and up and down Mountain. They run stop signs constantly, making cycling to campus a defensive art.

But based on my own unforced errors, on a motorcycle I'd hardly trust myself not to get high on the velocity and believe I'm in some kind of zone.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I've had three motorcycles which I used for woodswork. Never took them on pavement. Never had to manage other traffic. Never rode fast and crazy. I wrecked all three. Not to the point of injury or beyond minor mechanical damage, but on every one I went down hard. There's no margin of safety even with a helmet and body armor.

Kids are probably safer playing football than riding motorcycles in an urban setting.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LH,
So sorry you and your family had to see that. I saw the still picture on Twitter yesterday and it shook me.
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

My wife was in a serious scooter accident a couple years before we met. She had to get air-vacced to a hospital back to Tucson. She suffered many serious injuries but was extremely fortunate.

Needless to say... we are not motorcycle people
97cats

Post by 97cats »

my uncle died 13 years ago riding a motorcycle, he crashed while being hit from behind resulting in severe brain injuries that ultimately led to his death.

i dont get the allure of motorcycles (dirt bikes and off-roading make more sense to me) but have never understood the draw of street bikes.

folks here in California obv use them to avoid traffic and navigate the freeways faster, and keep overall costs down - insurance, gas, parking, maintenance etc. - but boy oh boy the pros and cons just dont make sense to me to me, never did.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97, I'm sorry. That's beyond hard.

As a kid I had a camp counselor up at Sky Y who I looked up to as a role model for years. Then, going down to Prescott one day his tire hit a rock and he flew into a pine tree. He survived with his brain injuries, but as a shell of himself. The saddest thing I ever experienced as a kid.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This thread is literally killing me. I dragged my son to the computer this morning and read him what you guys wrote.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

97cats wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:14 pm folks here in California obv use them to avoid traffic and navigate the freeways faster,
Kind of can see that in LA, esp on the 405 and such, but is sure startles me when I am stuck in traffic there, then all of a sudden a MC lane splits next to me. Bwaaapppp....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:31 pm This thread is literally killing me. I dragged my son to the computer this morning and read him what you guys wrote.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......
Make him read the thread, sell the bike, and have Merkin pay the depreciation loss.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm Make him read the thread, sell the bike, and have Merkin pay the depreciation loss.
Ain't no depreciation on Harleys!

Or barely.

My oldest brother's father-in-law rides only Honda Goldwings even though he looks like a Harley rider. He says he hates the whole Harley persona. Says that Harleys suck, and are twice the price of Japanese bikes, with less reliability and more expense.

Just that people are buying into the Harley brand, and not the motorcycle. The Harley 100 is now the Harley 300. Meaning you take your Harley into the shop you will pay $300 minimum.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:25 pm
Longhorned wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:13 pm Make him read the thread, sell the bike, and have Merkin pay the depreciation loss.
Ain't no depreciation on Harleys!

Or barely.

My oldest brother's father-in-law rides only Honda Goldwings even though he looks like a Harley rider. He says he hates the whole Harley persona. Says that Harleys suck, and are twice the price of Japanese bikes, with less reliability and more expense.

Just that people are buying into the Harley brand, and not the motorcycle. The Harley 100 is now the Harley 300. Meaning you take your Harley into the shop you will pay $300 minimum.
I never understood the Harley mystique. I never understood how any virtue of American made could extend to small engines. Along with my three motorcycles (all Hondas or Honda-powered Rokon) all my generators, save one, were Hondas. The saddest, most disgraceful thing in the history of engineering is a Briggs & Stratton/Tecomseh small engine. (Harleys are not much better IMO.) When I finally had the financial wherewithall to ditch my Craftsman generator for a Honda I chose the guy on the work crew whom I hated the most and gave it to the motherfucker.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

My father grew up riding motorcycles, and he taught me to ride when I was 16. Three years ago he rode his V-Star from PHX to LA all the way up the PCH to Port Angeles, WA, ferry ride to Vancouver and rode back to Phoenix over the span of two weeks. He was 65 when he did that ride.

As much fun as I have had riding motorcycles. I refuse to buy one for myself or on account of not trusting other people on the road to see me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My older sister was involved in a motorcycle accident as a passenger when she was around 18 when a UPS truck ran a stop sign and hit her and her boyfriend. Has a pin in her leg to this day.

Her first husband too was involved in another MC accident at the same age, and he has a pin too.

Longhorned wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:59 pm Even on a bicycle, I get really high on endorphins and make stupid decisions. I recently reacted to something in the road ahead. Instead of slowing down, I made a sudden turn without realizing it was 2nd St., got sucked into the tram tracks and flew over the handlebars, injuring me and the bike. The only thing that actually slows me down is dragging a 65-pound trailer with a kid in it.

The drivers are horrible enough even on the Bike Boulevard along 3rd St., and up and down Mountain. They run stop signs constantly, making cycling to campus a defensive art.

But based on my own unforced errors, on a motorcycle I'd hardly trust myself not to get high on the velocity and believe I'm in some kind of zone.
My dad stopped riding his bicycle about 20 years ago or so when a driver cut off going to Houghton or Harrison (get those 2 mixed up) and ended up on the side of the road with a couple of busted ribs. Had to get a hospital bed in his bedroom.

Reminds me when I was a student at the UA many years ago. Some woman was riding her bicycle down Grant(?) and some driver clipped her. Threw her leg 100 feet away.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

old news still sad....

Mark Eaton, the 7-foot-4 shot-blocking king who twice was the N.B.A.’s defensive player of the year during a career spent entirely with the Utah Jazz, died on Friday night in a bicycle accident near his home in Summit County, Utah. He was 64.

The team said he had left his home for a bike ride, and shortly thereafter someone called 911 to report seeing him lying on a roadway and unconscious. He died at the hospital.

The county sheriff’s office said, “It appears the man was riding a bicycle and crashed,” adding that there was no reason to believe a vehicle was involved.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/30/obit ... -dead.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ reminds me of Jay Williams, who ended his NBA career with a motorcycle accident.

Most professional contracts are written to not allow players to ride motorcycles. That should give you a big hint on how dangerous they are right there.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Didn't Shawn Bradley also die in a bicycle accident?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 pm Didn't Shawn Bradley also die in a bicycle accident?
He was paralyzed. Hit by a car
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:58 pm Didn't Shawn Bradley also die in a bicycle accident?
He was paralyzed. Hit by a car
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Ben Roethlisberger
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

97cats wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:51 am Ben Roethlisberger
I'll take serial rapists who avoided the "Me Too" movement for $200 Alex.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I used to ride and loved it, but one night when I was driving home in my Jeep, I was rear-ended by a lady on her cell phone who didn't even touch her brakes. If I had been on my motorcycle... I haven't been on it since. It's just not worth it.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

In Santa Barbara county where I live there have been 4 separate MC deaths this month, and we are a low population county. At least 2 were the riders fault, forgot the fault of the others, but obviously if a MC and a 4 wheeled vehicle get in an accident the MC rider always loses.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There are two types of people who ride motorcycles.

Those who have been in a motorcycle accident, and those who haven’t been in a motorcycle accident . . . yet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just as bad: people off their meds who walk into the street, an authentic Tucson experience. Yesterday afternoon I slammed my breaks as a woman stepped into my lane on 5th St. just east of Country Club. I thought I had no chance but I stopped short of running her over. Meanwhile, cars keep passing me in the other lane. I tried to keep eye contact with her to keep her from walking into the passing cars, and it worked. She kept yelling at me. I was so scared. I didn't want to leave her but I didn't know if she was reaching for a weapon. Finally, she moved back to the edge of the street and I moved forward and called 911. On my way back, there were two police cars, an ambulance, and a fire truck. She was on a stretcher being loaded into the ambulance. I don't know whether someone else ran her over or she was just being restrained. And then I went ahead with a normal evening because apparently road drama is my new life.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Unfortunately this couldn't be called a fully American experience without a firearm being involved. Maybe you were just dreaming that you were in a European city.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

My nextdoor neighbor when we lived in Vail was a Northwest fireman. One day I saw him riding his motorcycle from Vail to Marana with no helmet.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 am My nextdoor neighbor when we lived in Vail was a Northwest fireman. One day I saw him riding his motorcycle from Vail to Marana with no helmet.
When I drive through Tucson, I often see more bicycle riders with helmets than MC riders.