Thanksgiving plans

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Thanksgiving plans

Post by azgreg »

Going to my brother-in-law's house in Tucson. Just a day trip as my wife has to be a work early Friday and I have a 7:30 tee time myself.

P.S. Is it bad form to bring empty Tupperware containers with us?
UAEebs86

Re: Thanksgiving plans

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Going to my brother-in-law's house in Tucson. Just a day trip as my wife has to be a work early Friday and I have a 7:30 tee time myself.

No, but it's bad form to come all the way to Tucson and go back to Phoenix the night before the ASU game. 8-)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azgreg wrote:Going to my brother-in-law's house in Tucson. Just a day trip as my wife has to be a work early Friday and I have a 7:30 tee time myself.

No, but it's bad form to come all the way to Tucson and go back to Phoenix the night before the ASU game. 8-)
I know, but the wife is in retail (Dillard's) and my boss is paying for the golf.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think bringing empty tupperware containers with you is damn good etiquette. The hosts want to get rid of all that food, and you're making it easier. I'd love it if people showed up with containers. But I just asked the wife and she won't stamp an approval notice on behalf of the idea. I argued your case by suggesting that you keep the containers in the car, and only retrieve them once the hosts start scampering around in their cabinets looking for empty vessels. I lost the appeal. I can't understand why. So the best I can give you is 50% approval from this household. I'm concerned that it could mean that your brother thinks you're awesome, but his wife won't ever let him forget it.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I'm driving to Tucson. I have many friends there and plan to visit a couple of places. Looking forward to it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I think bringing empty tupperware containers with you is damn good etiquette. The hosts want to get rid of all that food, and you're making it easier. I'd love it if people showed up with containers. But I just asked the wife and she won't stamp an approval notice on behalf of the idea. I argued your case by suggesting that you keep the containers in the car, and only retrieve them once the hosts start scampering around in their cabinets looking for empty vessels. I lost the appeal. I can't understand why. So the best I can give you is 50% approval from this household. I'm concerned that it could mean that your brother thinks you're awesome, but his wife won't ever let him forget it.
Your wife also won't let you put a neon cactus in the front window so her opinion is invalidated. last year I gave my brother-in-law (a huge Star Trek fan) a Enterprise shaped pizza cutter so I'm golden.

Last edited by azgreg on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I'm going to my in-laws house nearby. First thanksgiving in years where I'm not traveling, its gonna be great to finally relax on this holiday. Today is my last day of work for the week and here on out it's just AZ hoops, food, AZ football, and more food.

I think BYOTupperware is a solid idea. Though only if you're tight with the people otherwise it might be overstepping some boundaries for whatever reason. Since its your bro I say go for it who gives a damn he's family.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Haha azgreg, my father-in-law is a trekky and I got him that exact brand of Enterprise utensil, just the bottle opener version instead of the pizza cutter. It's actually pretty solid, well-built. Definitely good gift items for trek fans.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The big Thanksgiving gathering of friends this year is right down the street, which is awesome for drinking. But as usual, dogs and cats are involved and my allergies are too severe to join in. So my wife will keep me company here while we make a feast for two. At night, I'll medicate up and put on all clothes-washable stuff and bring over a pie, a bottle of wine, and an inhaler. We'll have dessert there and I'll stay as long as I can (about 45 minutes), and then I'll quickly depart before reaching the E.R. threshold, throw all the clothes in the wash, and take a shower.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Wow! Sounds appealing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I think bringing empty tupperware containers with you is damn good etiquette. The hosts want to get rid of all that food, and you're making it easier. I'd love it if people showed up with containers. But I just asked the wife and she won't stamp an approval notice on behalf of the idea. I argued your case by suggesting that you keep the containers in the car, and only retrieve them once the hosts start scampering around in their cabinets looking for empty vessels. I lost the appeal. I can't understand why. So the best I can give you is 50% approval from this household. I'm concerned that it could mean that your brother thinks you're awesome, but his wife won't ever let him forget it.
Your wife also won't let you put a neon cactus in the front window so her opinion is invalidated. last year I gave my brother-in-law (a huge Star Trek fan) a Enterprise shaped pizza cutter so I'm golden.

Is that thing real? Want!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Is that thing real? Want!
http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Pizza- ... B004FQDWP0

I got mine from the space store.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:

Is that thing real? Want!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dea2/?srp=15

Ton of other cool geek stuff there, it's a veritable nerdery.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I have 2 gatherings for Thanksgiving this year. First with the family, then a buddy is having a Weedsgiving party. :-)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Wow! Sounds appealing.
Well, you should also know that that Thanksgiving dinner -- like all such dinners -- will be vegan. Instead of turkey, there will be a "mushroom loaf". There will be no butter in the mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy. The stuffing will be have no sausage or turkey stock. So at least I won't be missing anything. I'm transgressing by showing up with a real pumpkin pie made with butter, eggs, and cream, along with real vanilla ice cream. Because I'm not going to risk an E.R. visit for the sake of "squash-avocado whip-up".
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Since I got married and my mother feared she would occasionally lose me for Thanksgiving, my family now celebrates Thanksgiving on Friday. So this means every year we do Thanksgiving on Thursday at my in-laws and then do another complete Thanksgiving feast on Friday again with my family.

It's kind of awesome
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dea2/?srp=15

Ton of other cool geek stuff there, it's a veritable nerdery.
Love that store.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/11be/

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Already had friends Thanksgiving last Thursday.

Wednesday: Family watches Planes, Trains, & Automobiles with cookies and cider
Thursday: pumpkin pancake breakfast, football, dinner around 3 pm, football
Friday: Sea World in morning for Black Fish Friday, then sports bar for UA/ASU game
Saturday: Birthday for Nephew
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Going over to have Thanksgiving with the in-laws in Brooklyn, 66% of whom I'm not really speaking to at the moment because of shenanigans they pulled last Thanksgiving. Fun! Brother-in-law had to get a halal turkey. Yes, you read that right. Then cutting out at about 5pm to go get shitfaced in a bar and watch an important soccer game with about 200 other lunatics. Wife is understandably not happy, of course.

Standard stuff I think.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Wouldn't a halal turkey be kind of like a kosher chicken, and therefore basically just higher quality?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

On a side note, I have to make a pecan pie. Anybody have a recipe they really like?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've never made a pecan pie, but just in case nobody else chimes in, Alton Brown is generally golden, but always solid platinum when it comes to southern food:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... ecipe.html
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Longhorned wrote:Wouldn't a halal turkey be kind of like a kosher chicken, and therefore basically just higher quality?
I have no idea, but I hope you are right!

We are supposed to be bringing a side dish but since I'm mostly useless in the kitchen I'm thinking a 6er of Dog Fish 60 minute should be fine.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A side dish? You wanted me to bring a side dish? I thought you wanted me to bring a hooker! Ha ha! (dial cell phone) Yeah, this is L.B. Can I postpone my appointment until 11 tonight? Yeah. Uh-huh. Yeah. Thank you. Mmm hmm. Bye. Well... anybody got a cocktail with my name on it?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

very simple. at the gf's house. just 4 of us. lotta food though (just small batches of each). Turkey (brined of course), mashed taters, stuffing, gravy, creamed pearl onions, green bean casserole, candied sweet potatoes, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce. cheese ball, shrimp, olives, pickles for snacks. lotta champagned and/or wine.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

I'd like to stuff that
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

On the tupperware question:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/11/26/di ... ?referrer=
By the day before the holiday ... the host has a much better idea of what’s missing: cocktail napkins, folding chairs, ice or ... piles of plastic containers for sending guests home with surplus food.

The last items should be brought only if the host wants them and only if there are enough for everybody. One woman whose annual spread starts with two turkeys and eight pies and goes on from there said the most egregious guests of all time — worse even than the relative’s new girlfriend who entertained the multitudes with tales of their fantastic sexual escapades — were the couple who brought just enough Tupperware for themselves. “We didn’t get leftovers from Alan’s mom,” they explained. (The hostess, though still seething, asked that her name be withheld.)
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

First time in 5 years that have not gone to the desert for Thanksgiving. Have done deep fried turkeys while out there riding quads and having good times with friends. Lots of things going on this year so am unable to cook. We are going to friends house for games and big turkey dinner.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Eat too much turkey, dressing, cranberries with wine, scalloped oysters, lemon rolls, and all that other stuff.

Watch some basketball in the afternoon and early evening.

Watch the riots late night.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Marin Co

Doing the spread myself for family.

Getting drunk in the city friday watching the CATS.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

On pain meds, so I'm planning on downing three quick beers, starting up a conversation about politics, and then passing out in front of football.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014 ... ref=upshot

Anyone have persimmon bread or frog-eye salad? How about turkey enchiladas or vegan mushroom gravy?
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAdevil wrote:I have 2 gatherings for Thanksgiving this year. First with the family, then a buddy is having a Weedsgiving party. :-)
Reverse the order, and you can eat more.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

gumby wrote:Anyone have... turkey enchiladas?
Every Friday after Thanksgiving.
gumby

Post by gumby »

White House menu.

Dinner
Thyme Roasted Turkey
Honey-Baked Ham
Cornbread Stuffing
Oyster Stuffing
Braised Winter Greens
Macaroni and Cheese (Same here. Kids eat that instead of stuffing)
Sweet Potato Gratin
Mashed Potatoes
Green Bean Casserole
Dinner Rolls

Dessert
Banana Cream Pie
Coconut Cream Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Pecan Pie
Cherry Pie
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

What people are most thankful for, state by state:

Some of those. . . :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Prime rib roast
Macaroni and cheese
Brussels sprouts with bacon
Cranberry sauce

Why not?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Smoking a turkey with apple wood and brining it in Apple juice, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, bay and cloves.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Meal with the fam at noon, dinner with girlfriend's crew at 3.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Heading to my brother in laws's house in Tucson. We're tasked with mashed potatoes and stuffing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If you're tasked with stuffing and hope not to be tasked with stuffing ever again, what would you include in the stuffing?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:If you're tasked with stuffing and hope not to be tasked with stuffing ever again, what would you include in the stuffing?
Been thinking about Bobby Flay's stuffing.

BOBBY FLAY'S CORNBREAD STUFFING

Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 pound chorizo sausage, diced
2 large Spanish onions, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 carrots, diced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large loaf staled cornbread, cubed (about 6 cups)
2-4 cups homemade turkey or chicken stock or low sodium canned chicken broth
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme

Method
1) Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook until golden brown, remove the chorizo to a plate lined with paper towels.
2) Add the onions, celery and carrot to the pan with the fat. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft then stir in the chorizo.
3) Place the cornbread in a large bowl. Add the onion mixture and two cups of the stock. The mixture should be quite wet; if it appears too dry, begin adding the remaining stock, a half cup at a time. Stir in the sage and thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Stuff the cavity of the turkey with the mixture, or scrape it into a buttered 10-inch baking dish and bake in a 375 d
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I actually don't mind stuffing...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I fucking love stuffing.

I don't need any dry boring turkey.

Stuffing, stuffing and more stuffing please.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hosting for the first time. We'll probably have 10-12 adults and a few kids.

Brined Turkey
Honey Baked Ham
Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes
Stuffing & Dressing
Maple Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Soufflé
Cranberry Sauce
Arugula Carrot Salad
Dinner Rolls
Cheese Plate
Apple Pie & Pumpkin Pie
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Only a few people this year so besides that smoked turkey it is just rolls, pumpkin pie, good green bean casserole from scratch, stuffing and garlic mashed potatoes.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Thanksgiving eve bender at The Nest in Palm Desert. It is... quite the show.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:I fucking love stuffing.

I don't need any dry boring turkey.

Stuffing, stuffing and more stuffing please.
We're having a Wednesday meal that's just stuffing. I couldn't go on otherwise.