Reason 32235902 to never use a large corp bank

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Reason 32235902 to never use a large corp bank

Post by Chicat »

Cue up the “We’ll try to do better next time” commercials ... again.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Chicat wrote:
Because the bank needs to clear out all those small little accounts for all that sweet, dirty Russian oligarch money. Duh.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

"Sorry"

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

They should all get a free house on Wells Fargo and their credit scores changed.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Trump administration hid report revealing Wells Fargo charged high fees to students
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/ ... go-1021129" target="_blank

"The Trump administration for months concealed a report that showed Wells Fargo charged college students fees that were on average several times higher than some of its competitors. The “unpublished” report was obtained by POLITICO through a Freedom of Information Act request."

"The CFPB report also questioned the agreements under which financial services providers pay colleges to promote their products on campus. It found that students ended up paying THREE TIMES MORE in average fees when their bank or account provider had paid the college."
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CFPB = Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Except under this administration there’s no fucking protection for any consumers. Should change the C to “Corporation”.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

As if there weren't enough reasons to hate Trump and Wells Fargo.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone work at a CU and familiar with Shared Branching deposits? Im selling a car and having trouble finding a CU that will allow me to deposit a large amount of cash into an out of state CU account. My CU is based in LA but the only branch is in Phx.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:Anyone work at a CU and familiar with Shared Branching deposits? Im selling a car and having trouble finding a CU that will allow me to deposit a large amount of cash into an out of state CU account. My CU is based in LA but the only branch is in Phx.
I used to, SD86 has worked at a CU for 11 years. What amount of cash are you talking about (don't have to be specific if you don't want to)?

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:I used to, SD86 has worked at a CU for 11 years. What amount of cash are you talking about (don't have to be specific if you don't want to)?
$45 - $50K. Tucson Fed, AZ Central, Vantage and Pyramid are all saying its too much for a daily deposit. Some are saying $10K max per day which seems insane. I just met up with sirhamsalot who works at Pyramid and he's double checking for me. I guess I drive to 3 different CUs to make this deposit
Last edited by Jefe on Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

That's a lot of money for a Vega.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Jefe wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:I used to, SD86 has worked at a CU for 11 years. What amount of cash are you talking about (don't have to be specific if you don't want to)?
$45 - $50K. Tucson Fed, AZ Central, Vantage and Pyramid are all saying its too much for a daily deposit. I just met up with goslingswagg who works at Pyramid and he's double checking for me
It is a lot, you'll get on the feds radar for sure. it's possible but it's just something that the institution usually need some heads up for.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ASUHATER! wrote:It is a lot, you'll get on the feds radar for sure. it's possible but it's just something that the institution usually need some heads up for.
Ya they said there would be a form to fill out which Im fine with but after talking with the supervisor they said its over their daily limit. Must be a shared branching limit.
I did this 2 years ago on a car purchase and had no problems but that was Wells

The guy Im selling to just sold a car and was paid cash. He'd rather bring that than deposit and do a wire for some reason

Funny enough I have another guy that wants the car but he has a warrant in AZ so he wants to meet in Havasu and cross the Colorado to do the transaction haha
azgreg wrote:That's a lot of money for a Vega.
Restorations ain't cheap!
Last edited by Jefe on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah when I worked at a CU my branch didn't do shared branching at all so I got minimal experience with it.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Any cash or cash equivalent transaction over $10k requires filing of a Currency Transaction Report. If you're a member it wouldn't be a problem but because it's shared branching I'm sure that's why they won't do over the 10k. It isn't worth it to them to do a CTR for you. Also, shared branching has been hit by a lot of fraudulent transactions over recent years so most institutions are super wary already, cash in or out. I'm just a corporate stooge now though so I'm not sure what it's like out in the trenches anymore.

Many credit unions are considering doing away with shared branching. It costs them a significant amount of money to service other credit union members that they aren't even allowed to cross sell their own products to.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thats what I assumed, not a member so they don't want to help me. I did talk with the branch manager at Hughes and they will take the deposit so we'll see. Appreciate it!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just drive to the branch in Phoenix?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Curious if you feel like sharing, what kind of car is it?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

CalStateTempe wrote:Just drive to the branch in Phoenix? Curious if you feel like sharing, what kind of car is it?
Branch is closed on the weekends but thats an option. Id rather drive to 3-4 CUs here than do that. Its a Hellcat. Interested? ;) Gotta free up some cash to pay for my Bronco restoration thats gotten out of control
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

People who refuse to get up early enough to sell their plasma on the way to work so they can pay off their overdraft fees are just too fucking lazy to understand the transformative wonders of modern retail banking and capitalism. Also, they hate freedom.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What is going on with Wells Fargo here? Its been a daily battle to figure out which locations are open for business deposits. 5th/Wilmot closed 6+ months ago, Sabino Canyon, Grant & Craycroft, Grant & Alvernon, Oracle & Ina, Stone, and University are all "temporarily" closed. Yet they are opening River & Craycroft soon.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm pretty sure BOA has closed every branch between Prescott and Flagstaff.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Staffing is a real problem even for my company right now. We pay $18/hr to start with fantastic benefits but we're still short staffed in branches. Now with Omicron running rampant we can barely keep the doors open. We've had to close some branches on Saturdays and other smaller ones for lunch breaks. It's impossible to run a branch with only 3 people most days.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Am in the process of closing down my credit union account and switching to Capital One Bank and Savings. For one my paycheck hits the bank earlier then the credit union. Then I can bank at the local grocery stores bank machines, including depositing checks. Also, I'm moving and Capital One is nation wide, and I'm paying rent by Zelle. My credit union isn't contracted with Zelle so only limits payments t $500/week. I also get interest on my checking and savings accounts. The credit union only pays interest on savings, and it isn't as much as Capital One.

I make all payments by credit card now, and pay it off each month. I get free cash back to use while not paying any interest on the credit card. Plus credit cards are a lot safer than debit cards.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Why in the actual fuck do people have debit cards? I'm sure there has to be some value in them but I sure don't see it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have literally only used a debit card for Venmo in the last several years.

Also CITH, that's interesting because the credit union I work for has all the things you say your credit union doesn't.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 pm Why in the actual fuck do people have debit cards? I'm sure there has to be some value in them but I sure don't see it.
Switched to using my credit card for everything and paying it off completely every month a couple years ago and I’ll never go back.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I use a debit card because Winco doesn't accept cc's. I also use them at atm's which I only use once in a blue moon
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Arco only takes debit cards.

Also with debit cards you can get cash back.

Chase protects debit cards just like credit cards.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:43 pm Why in the actual fuck do people have debit cards? I'm sure there has to be some value in them but I sure don't see it.
Because it's a better option for those people that can't pay off credit card bills. I'd rather the money be out of my account and gone instead of paying it off later if it's going to be gone.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:36 pm
Because it's a better option for those people that can't pay off credit card bills. I'd rather the money be out of my account and gone instead of paying it off later if it's going to be gone.
I can see that. If you can't afford to stay at the bar it pays to have a bartender who cuts you off.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:25 pm I use a debit card because Winco doesn't accept cc's. I also use them at atm's which I only use once in a blue moon
Why won't they accept CCs? Is it a longer payment rail?

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm Arco only takes debit cards.

That's the first I've heard of debit card protection equal to that of CCs. One of the many reasons I shitcanned Wells Fargo was their insistence on issuing debit cards as necessary ID. That's just a bullshit excuse to sell another product line.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:37 pm

That's the first I've heard of debit card protection equal to that of CCs. One of the many reasons I shitcanned Wells Fargo was their insistence on issuing debit cards as necessary ID. That's just a bullshit excuse to sell another product line.

Do banks reimburse stolen money? Chase offers what is called Rapid Reimbursement. ... All you have to do is call the number on the back of the card to report the unauthorized charges and you won't be responsible, and they will reimburse the stolen money.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:31 pm Also with debit cards you can get cash back.
I get Amazon points. Every few months I have $100-$150 to spend on whatever I want.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

We use our Fry's Master Card all the time and get checks to use in the store.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:29 pm Am in the process of closing down my credit union account and switching to Capital One Bank and Savings. For one my paycheck hits the bank earlier then the credit union. Then I can bank at the local grocery stores bank machines, including depositing checks. Also, I'm moving and Capital One is nation wide, and I'm paying rent by Zelle. My credit union isn't contracted with Zelle so only limits payments t $500/week. I also get interest on my checking and savings accounts. The credit union only pays interest on savings, and it isn't as much as Capital One.

I make all payments by credit card now, and pay it off each month. I get free cash back to use while not paying any interest on the credit card. Plus credit cards are a lot safer than debit cards.

I also started using Capital One a few years ago. One nice feature they have is they allow you to set up as many savings accounts as you want for free (I think Ally Bank also has this feature). I use this as a budgeting tool and have my various payments taken out of separate savings accounts which also helps with security a bit (I have one or two payments that insist on using a checking account unfortunately). I still typically use a credit union when I need a car loan (don't have one right now), and also for convenience for a variety of services since there is one right next to my office and another several blocks from my home.

Arco at AM/PM started taking credit cards here in Arizona a couple years ago. I remember when Costco only took debit cards as well until they got in bed with VISA.

Dave Ramsey swears by debit cards, but he focuses on people who can't control their budgets and would end up running big balances on their credit cards. "If you play with snakes, you'll eventually get bit". I used to listen to him but he's turned into a real POS.

Clark Howard hates debit cards (calls them trash fake VISA/MasterCards) because there are no built in consumer protections by law. Yes, most banks will eventually give you the money back if fraud is proven, but you don't have the money during that time.

If you need to take cash out, you can get request an ATM-only card, or ask that your bank/credit union turn of point of sale on your debit card and effectively make it an ATM-only card.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My credit union's rewards card offers 5x points on a category of your choosing (Amazon, Costco, utilities, travel, charity, etc), 3x points on groceries, and 2x points on gas. There is 0 annual fee and the interest rate is like 12.99%. and we almost always are running some 0% interest promo period plus 20/30k point bonuses.

I rack up enough points so that I pretty much never pay for a hotel or rental car on my 1-2 vacations a year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

One of my Tucson brothers just sent me this.

I saw a commercial on TV for Tucson federal credit union auto loans for 1.5%. (His daughter) went on line and used the promo code GETYOUTHERE. She got the loan. Just a FYI if you wanted to refinance your car