Anyone know jack shit about the airline industry?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Anyone know jack shit about the airline industry?

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:48 am Thanks god.

Maybe I’ll consider flying them
It was their only differentiator (the cheap prices from all seats being the same). As a loyal SWA flyer for the past 20+ years, now I’ll consider other airlines.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Huh…maybe it’s a CA thing, but SW was never cheaper for me. Convenient, yes, for intrastate flying, but never cheaper.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:56 am Huh…maybe it’s a CA thing, but SW was never cheaper for me. Convenient, yes, for intrastate flying, but never cheaper.
The Mrs. and I went to Puerto Vallarta round trip for $340.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

I’m bummed. Definitely a SWA fan because everything used to be included in the price.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have enjoyed Southwest and have exclusively used them and their credit card for the last 12 years. I don't fly very often and it suited what I needed perfectly. I'm quite annoyed it's changing.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What the hell happened to Southwest?*

*- As a father of 31 YO woman, married to a woman, and son of a woman, I am truly glad the sexualization of stewardesses is over. But it is still kind of fun to reminisce.
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Merkin wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:25 am
Blame the activist investors for this one. :(
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Miami airport is warmed over dog shit.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yes it is.

specially connecting international and the food, garbage
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Meanwhile the terminal here in Austin us hopping. A lot of nice eateries and bars.
Last edited by azgreg on Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We just flew in and out of Newark this last week.

Did they recently update this airport? It was really nice... I thought it used to be a piece of shit?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 5:17 pm We just flew in and out of Newark this last week.

Did they recently update this airport? It was really nice... I thought it used to be a piece of shit?
Yes they did. I will actually go the extra distance to stay away from JFK. Delta’s new terminal at LaGuardia is also amazingly easy to get in and out of.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

God I hate flying Southwest,

That is all.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:42 am God I hate flying Southwest,

That is all.
I had to fly them because I was meeting my friends at midway airport and they were the only ones flying there, and I agree 100%. Next time I will just fly into O'Hare and tell them to F off.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I got turned down for middle seats like 5x by all the whales on the aisles and windows with their shit taking up the middle seat “claimed” like a beach lounger at a resort.

Finally i just said, I’m sitting there. I don’t have time for that shit at 6:00 am.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:00 pm I got turned down for middle seats like 5x by all the whales on the aisles and windows with their shit taking up the middle seat “claimed” like a beach lounger at a resort.

Finally i just said, I’m sitting there. I don’t have time for that shit at 6:00 am.
I always get Early Bird so no middle seats for me but if I did have to take one I wouldn’t even ask. I’d just put my shit down and sit and if anyone has an issue I would invite them to move.

Sadly, when there’s a middle seat open next to me it usually stays open if the flight isn’t full. Some people don’t like sitting next to brown men.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Frontier is an even bigger shithole than southwest.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Unpopular take:

I love Southwest. I basically fly either Southwest or American.... and I fucking hate American. I usually never have issues with SW but American... it's a coinflip....

But yes, if you fly Southwest, especially for work... make your employer pay for EarlyBird
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:22 pm Unpopular take:

I love Southwest. I basically fly either Southwest or American.... and I fucking hate American. I usually never have issues with SW but American... it's a coinflip....

But yes, if you fly Southwest, especially for work... make your employer pay for EarlyBird
I'm on the same page as you. I don't fly much any more but I have the Chase Southwest Rewards card and usually don't have to pay. I've never had an issue with Southwest after flying them exclusively for almost 15 years.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Does anyone have Allegiant Air horror stories?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:19 pm

I'm on the same page as you. I don't fly much any more but I have the Chase Southwest Rewards card and usually don't have to pay. I've never had an issue with Southwest after flying them exclusively for almost 15 years.
I was a Southwest lifer until they got rid of open seating. That’s some bullshit.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 4:51 pm

I was a Southwest lifer until they got rid of open seating. That’s some bullshit.
It hasn't gone into effect yet... and with the amount of negative attention the announcement made... I'm curious if they actually go through with it. That's what separates them from everyone else
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yeah I'm worried about this tbh
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:24 pm Does anyone have Allegiant Air horror stories?
Nope. I’ve flown them a few times.

I don’t do a “carry on” (fee)

I don’t pick my seat (fee)

Definitely no checked baggage (hefty fee)

I carry a backpack slipped under the seat in front of me. There’s these things called washers and dryers that can save you a shit ton on luggage fees.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:32 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:24 pm Does anyone have Allegiant Air horror stories?
Nope. I’ve flown them a few times.

I don’t do a “carry on” (fee)

I don’t pick my seat (fee)

Definitely no checked baggage (hefty fee)

I carry a backpack slipped under the seat in front of me. There’s these things called washers and dryers that can save you a shit ton on luggage fees.
Same here. Did the exact same and enjoyed the bare bones Mesa to Missoula non-stop that existed nowhere else. But waiting in line my wife was stung by a scorpion ..... so that's the residual memory that kills the possibility of ever using them again.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:20 pm

It hasn't gone into effect yet... and with the amount of negative attention the announcement made... I'm curious if they actually go through with it. That's what separates them from everyone else
I’m with y’all. That’s the reason I like SWA. Maybe it will be like a New Coke, Coke Classic kind of thing.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

My issue with SW is why should I pay extra to board early for the same cramped uncomfortable seats as everyone else when I can have my seats prechosen on American where I fly often enough to get premium economy (which is not even an option on SW) for free. That extra inch or two of leg room is huge for anyone with long legs. And if you don't pay for early bird and check in the first second you can you are at the end of the B boarding group, which to me feels like a total scam and I don't like being scammed. And that is not even going into the fact that no planes on SW I have been on have charging ports and their entertainment options suck, but those things I could adjust to if the other things were not such a turn off.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Having a high teir of status on American is a game changer.

I love it, and generally get upgraded about 2 out of three trips.