January Arizona Road Trip

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bear Down Vegas

January Arizona Road Trip

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

So my brother & I are taking 5 days & are going to drive around Arizona together here in a couple weeks. We want to do Jerome & are interested in Antelope Canyon too. Honestly though, we have zero plans or real schedule other than a block of 5 days. It's more of a kind of bonding/exploring trip - with no booze. Yeah, that catch sucks but it's part of the deal. SO...really cool dive bars do me no help on this one.

I guess what I was wondering is if any of you had cool, pretty, interesting, out in the middle of nowhere spots you'd suggest. We've pretty much been everywhere growing up in many parts of AZ but over the last 25 years we haven't been anywhere other than Phx/Tucson/Flag/Pinetop areas. Tombstone is an option I guess too...not really sure. I also understand this is a less than ideal time to go wandering around looking at stuff for the better half of a week - but again - this is the way it's falling.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Great dive places to eat? Anywhere in the state is pretty much in play - including close borders like Moab, etc.

Muchos Gracias in advance -

BDV
scumdevils86

Re: January Arizona Road Trip

Post by scumdevils86 »

I spent almost 3 months living Mon-Fri in Tombstone this year. Don't do it. Unless you just can't live without super trashy and cheesy old west stuff.

Have you been to Meteor Crater and the Painted Desert? Some interesting stuff there if you're into geology etc. I'd say the area around Greer and down to Alpine and Hannagan Meadow would be great to explore just for being in nature but it is the dead of winter and I have no idea how the weather will be then.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Meteor Crater is on the list. Haven't been there since we were in K & 2nd grade respectively. Though I don't think we'll spend a very long time there...who knows? I was kinda leaning towards that with regards to what you said about Tombstone as well. We thought about going down to Bisbee & the mines too but other than that it seems we'll be roaming around the more Northern parts of the state. Painted Desert is a good one - hadn't thought of that yet.
Last edited by Bear Down Vegas on Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Last summer we did a 2 week trip through Northern AZ and Utah. It is truly amazing what is up there and I cant wait to do it again. I took over 1000 pics, here's a few:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=815&p=20444&hilit=zion#p20444

If you are stuck with only 5 days I would do Zion National Park and Page. You could easily spend 3 days in Zion. Page has a lot to offer as well. Antelope Canyon, Rainbow Bridge, Lake Powell, and you're a 2hr drive from Monument Valley.

Another good trip would be Havasupai Falls. Its on the outskirts of the Grand Canyon but that's at least a 2-3 day trip

Only thing to worry about is water temps if you are doing any hiking. I wouldn't go to Zion or Havasupai if you aren't planning on hiking though.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Havasuipai and explore the Lake Powell region
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

If you like wine, hit the wine region in Jerome and Cottonwood. Or in Southern AZ, but I like the one up north better.

Edit--I decided to actually read your post. Ignore me now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Don't forget Tempe.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote:Don't forget Tempe.
Only if you are going to upper deck a toilet.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion