Saved a calf

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BigSkyCatinMT

Saved a calf

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

My 10 year old son and I went to pick some asparagus 2 nights ago. Weird night. We got enough for a side dish. Anyway, this cow was mooing at me. I told her to SHUT UP a couple times. Got in the car after the best haul of the night...noticed that a newborn calf had fallen downhill through a hole in the fence - feet tangled in wire. Realizing why mommy was stressed I tried to flag 3 cars coming down the road for help. Got a wave, a finger, and nothing. So I untangled her feet from the wire, lifted her up and slowly coaxed/pushed her through hole in the fence. Her feet got tangled in more barbed wire as soon as she gets free. At this point, I'm laying on the ground half through the hole in the fence on my stomach with a stressed out 8-9 hundred lb Holstein blowing snot in my ear. I continue unhooking the baby's hind legs from the wire - half scared that mommy will stomp my brains in with my son watching, 8 miles from home. She (calf) finally gets free, runs strait to her mommy's teat. Mommy comes and licks my arm with like a 22 lb. tongue before I make my escape. Only later did I realize that I had the placenta? smeared on my arm.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Longhorned

Re: Saved a calf

Post by Longhorned »

That would happen to me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:That would happen to me.
Except you'd have it butchered and post repeatedly about all your great veal dinners.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

You're Batman!

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Some say you're dead because of this, mtzwami.

Some say ya never will be, 'cause of this.

And some folks say, mtzwami's up there still.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

No one cares
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

scumdevils86 wrote:No one cares
I thought it was kind of cool.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:

Same here. Pictures would have been nice, doesn't everyone have a cell phone now?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

Same here. Pictures would have been nice, doesn't everyone have a cell phone now?
The technology still isn't convenient enough. If you were trying to save a calf, you'd have to locate your cell phone, then enter the four-digit security code, then open "photos", then see the pictures of the ape you took yesterday in the zoo and realize that you should have opened "camera" instead of "photos", close "photos", open "camera", then wonder why your face is in the screen, reset it, and by the time you click the photo, the calf is dead and the cow is blaming you. Now you have no story to post. And all because you were afraid that 77Hoyas was going to say, "This thread is worthless without pics."
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Very cool story.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Sorry that reacted without 'pics''...like the journalists who zoom in on a gun-shot victim for 2 minutes before calling for help. Then "Here comes the help, never mind - he died while we were getting our video.

Some people sensationalize, some react responsibly. I reacted.

To ChiCat - I'd have NO problem butchering that same calf at about 600 lbs - were it to become a steer. Would prefer to not know if it's the same tasty morsel. Don't do veal myself. Oh, I was close enough to see that it was going to be a milk cow.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I know that somewhere in that deep, dark, despicable soul you must care about something.

Donald Duck? Strawberry jam? Beer on tap? Virginity? Edible underwear? General Tso's Chicken"? Oprah's reruns??
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Teats or GTFO
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Moo?