Table saw or compound miter saw?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

LBdCactus

Table saw or compound miter saw?

Post by LBdCactus »

Which one should I purchase first?

Can only really afford a portable table saw, so may not be worth spending the money.

A good compound miter is about the same price, but gonna have trouble cutting sheet material.

What to do?

Anyone out there have an opinion?

(Mostly going to use for home stuff, would like to get into building furniture, have some experience but deffo beginner. Also should mention I have very limited space for storage and use, or else I would probably go with both)
Longhorned

Re: Table saw or compound miter saw?

Post by Longhorned »

I don't have an opinion but I hope you get some good advice. I've decided to move away from all power equipment because I came to realize that fixing broken power tools is harder than just doing everything by hand. I just bought my first hand saw. I mostly use it in the kitchen.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Radial arm saw.

Look on Craigslist if money is an issue, although they are reasonable priced. Best of a table saw and miter saw.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I've got a buddy with a more professional quality table saw than I will ever have a use for and he is incredibly generous with it. I've got a reasonably good compound mitre saw and it is great for 99.44% of anything I ever need to do.

Is the "Men's Shed" concept spreading in the States yet? Is there one near you? They might have a good table saw you can use if you join up.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Never heard of the "Mens Shed", off to the google I go.

Merk, i thought the trusty radial arm saw was becoming obsolete but i can see how it is best of both worlds. CL is my first stop regardless of what I decide to go for.