100 years ago today

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

100 years ago today

Post by ASUHATER! »

the 2nd shot heard round the world...archduke franz ferdinand and his wife were killed in sarajevo by gavrilo princip. started the course for wwi starting on july 28th. that one shot could technically be the cause for the deaths of about 100,000,000 people.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUCatFan

Re: 100 years ago today

Post by ASUCatFan »

And what a comedy of errors it was that led to the Archduke actually being shot. The assassins were such an incompetent and cowardly bunch and if the motorcade hadn't absolutely delivered the Archduke up on a silver platter, it wouldn't have happened.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Here are some recently published WW1 images from a private collection:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... me=2954206

An example:

Here are some recently surfaced German WW1 images:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -arms.html

An example:

Last edited by Merkin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah the majority of the assassins chickened out. just is crazy that one wrong turn by a car driver more or less caused wwi, the russian civil war, polish-soviet war, armenian genocide, russian famine and pogroms, spanish civil war, second italo-ethiopian war, chinese civil war, wwII.....possibly the deaths of 150 million people if you count all the smaller events and wars.

Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:yeah the majority of the assassins chickened out. just is crazy that one wrong turn by a car driver more or less caused wwi, the russian civil war, polish-soviet war, armenian genocide, russian famine and pogroms, spanish civil war, second italo-ethiopian war, chinese civil war, wwII.....possibly the deaths of 150 million people if you count all the smaller events and wars.
You're like one of those nerdy guys from high school who obsessed over military history but is too chicken to actually join.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Salty wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:yeah the majority of the assassins chickened out. just is crazy that one wrong turn by a car driver more or less caused wwi, the russian civil war, polish-soviet war, armenian genocide, russian famine and pogroms, spanish civil war, second italo-ethiopian war, chinese civil war, wwII.....possibly the deaths of 150 million people if you count all the smaller events and wars.
You're like one of those nerdy guys from high school who obsessed over military history but is too chicken to actually join.
uh. so all historians are wimps to you? one of the more idiotic statements you've had. i have never said i fully understand what it's like to be in combat (neither do you), but that somehow disqualifies me from being a student of history and wanting to learn about the past and the world? what a stupid statement.

Salty

Post by Salty »

You're a nerd.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Many who joined in WW2 (and most pre VN wars) were actually to chicken to not enlist. The peer pressure to enlist was more than incredible. Salty should watch some of those documentaries and listen to some of the WW2 vets.

Back on subject:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Salty wrote:You're a nerd.
thank you, i take that as a compliment. it's a good thing to be knowledgeable about the world and history, rather than ignorant of it and making fun of people who actually know things. :)

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Merkin wrote:Many who joined in WW2 (and most pre VN wars) were actually to chicken to not enlist. The peer pressure to enlist was more than incredible. Salty should watch some of those documentaries and listen to some of the WW2 vets.

Back on subject:

yup. a higher percentage of people that served in WWII were drafted than in vietnam. plenty of draftees in WWI as well (within the first 6 weeks of the war, Wilson asked for 1 million volunteers...only 73,000 men enlisted, so the draft was put into place).

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/20 ... sonisphere
Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson will lead a World War I dogfight re-enactment above the Sonisphere festival – just hours before he takes the stage to headline the Knebworth event.

He’s part of the Great War Display Team, a group of pilots who fly replica warplanes to commemorate the actions of those who fought and died in the 1914-18 conflict.

Maiden say in a statement: “The show around 6pm features nine aircraft of five different types – all exact replicas of the planes used in combat.

“Bruce will be flying his very own Fokker DR1 triplane –the same model used by infamous German flying ace Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron.”
Salty

Post by Salty »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Salty wrote:You're a nerd.
thank you, i take that as a compliment. it's a good thing to be knowledgeable about the world and history, rather than ignorant of it and making fun of people who actually know things. :)
That was a rather clumsy response.

Basic high school history teaches us about WWI and WWII. I know plenty about "things", thank you very much! I've actually been to Germany and England, I've toured war museums and monuments in Berlin, visited the Churchill museum in London, saw the remains of the Nazi occupation of Greece and the destruction of ancient artifacts, and visited one of the most recognizable cathedrals in the world that survived the total war in Koln.

There's a difference between romanticizing the war and what took place during that period of time versus respecting the how terrible and destructive those wars were. The reason we study the world wars is to avoid conflicts like that in the future, not to get a stiffy in remembering the last "risk" war that was ever fought.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Salty...you are so fucking slow and dense it is remarkable.
Salty

Post by Salty »

scumdevils86 wrote:Salty...you are so fucking slow and dense it is remarkable.
You live in Tombstone. :lol: