Lot happening in downtown Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Re: Lot happening in downtown Tucson

Post by ASUHATER! »

What douches
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Already cleaned up

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not downtown, but a Tucson issue.

We're No. 1 — in potholes

http://tucson.com/news/local/we-re-no-i ... ?id=201408
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

New molecular mixology bar and 2 new burger joints opening up. Johnny Gibsons Market opens in a couple weeks as well

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2015/05/h ... y-methods/

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2015/05/v ... -downtown/

http://www.downtowntucson.org/2015/05/s ... nd-corner/
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

a new nanobrewhouse and coffee shop is opening on hoff and 8th in the next month or so as well. looks neat.

https://tucsonfoodie.com/2015/05/20/pub ... late-june/
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Some pretty big news for DT, or against DT, not sure yet. A Downtown "bypass corridor" has been proposed and is pending approval, specifically from the Railroad. They want to expand Aviation from Broadway down to 6th St with a direct connection to I-10. Downtown is too congested and they want to spend $83 million to keep I-10 traffic out of Downtown.

Proposed expansion: http://downtownlinks.info/app/uploads/2 ... 6_2015.pdf

Looks like they will go underneath Broadway and continue along the train tracks and behind Maloneys and the Streetcar HQ. I cant figure out what they are planning at 6th and 9th though. The light purple area is either a bridge over the tracks or a tunnel under them.

When you look at the map, this is what Aviation should have been all along

Articles:

http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-p ... 92c41.html
The city has inched closer to breaking ground on a roadway project decades in the works.

Underground and aboveground utility work on Downtown Links — the western extension of Barraza-Aviation Parkway to connect the road to Interstate 10 — could begin as soon as August.

The project, the so-called last mile of the parkway, has been in planning and discussion since the early 1980s. Then, the Arizona Department of Transportation planned to build the Barraza-Aviation, or Arizona 210, to create a roadway that would be the closest the region has to a crosstown freeway with limited intersections and traffic lights.

Downtown Links also would create a downtown bypass for westbound traffic on Broadway. Now, commuters who want to reach the interstate must encounter slow speeds and congestion on Congress Street to reach I-10.

The proposed link wouldn’t create a direct connection to the interstate. It would empty onto St. Mary’s. From there, motorists could catch the I-10 frontage road and drive north past Speedway before merging onto the highway.

Original plans were to connect to on- and off-ramps at St. Mary’s, but that interchange has long since been removed.

Elements of the current plan include two lanes in both directions from Broadway to the I-10 frontage road, with 30 mph speed limits; new intersections with traffic signals at Sixth Street, Eighth Avenue and Church Avenue; bike and multi-use paths; and a deck plaza or elevated park at Ninth Avenue.

The lower speed limits and deck plaza were the result of compromises the city made over the years with neighbors.

“We definitely support the lower speed limits,” said Sky Jacobs of the Dunbar/Spring Neighborhood Association.

While the neighborhood opposed previous designs for the extension, Jacobs said some in the neighborhood support elements of the plan, particularly the deck plaza.

The price tag for the Downtown Links project is about $83 million, with $76 million coming from the Regional Transportation Authority. The remaining $7 million is to come from a regional share of the state gas tax.

A LONG PROCESS

Talk of creating a downtown bypass where Barraza-Aviation and Broadway meet just east of downtown is nothing new — various versions have been on the books for more than 35 years.

The state spent millions to buy warehouses and other properties between Fourth Avenue and the freeway in anticipation of construction. By about 1989, however, it gave up on the plan after repeated delays and let the city take over.

Since then, the project has undergone at least 20 designs, and various Citizens Advisory Committees the city established have met nearly 100 times.

“Sometimes we just study these things to death,” City Councilman Steve Kozachik said.

In an effort to make sure residents have their say and to maintain an open process, the city has caused needless delays to much-needed projects like Downtown Links, Kozachik said.

Funding has also been an issue over the years. When the city took over the project, it lost out on more than $90 million in state funding to complete the final leg.

Kozachik said some of the design needs of the project itself caused delays.

The city still has to complete negotiations with the Union Pacific railroad company to coordinate construction of the planned traffic underpass where the new road intersects with train tracks.

A public desire to preserve historic buildings in the the proposed path of the roadway caused other delays. There’s still a need to acquire some properties, mostly between Seventh and Ninth avenues.

Sam Credio, engineering manager with the Tucson Department of Transportation, said the estimated total costs of property acquisitions would be somewhere near $8  million. That total is pretty close to estimates made in 1993, when the city completed the final — at the time — design concept for the Barraza-Aviation extension.

Those plans, however, included 45 property acquisitions. The current plan would require 16 acquisitions.

FURTHER INTO THE FUTURE

In the more distant future, it’s possible that Barraza-Aviation would be extended eastward to create a true crosstown parkway.

Jim DeGrood, with the RTA, said the state is conducting long-term planning that includes determining the site of a possible connection of Barraza-Aviation with I-10 near Wilmot Road.

The RTA has nearly $20 million slated for design work and property acquisitions for that section of the project. The costs of construction, or where funding would come from, have not been determined.
http://tucson.com/news/local/govt-and-p ... ebd7b.html
Have you ever counted the traffic lights you drive through on your daily commute? I have.
Depending on the route I take, I might pass 30 traffic lights in each direction.

It’s made me wonder, and many people have asked, why doesn’t Tucson have a crosstown freeway system?

Most metro areas Tucson’s size, and even smaller, have freeways, loops or parkways that speed commuters through the region.

Not Tucson.

Unless you happen to live within a mile or so of Interstates 10 or 19 and your final destination lies the same distance away, chances are the only time you use the freeways is when you’re leaving town.

Instead, driving surface streets through dozens of intersections is the only way to get across this ever-growing region.

So whose fault is that?

In this country, we’ve been conditioned to blame our political leaders.

After all, we elect them to make decisions on our behalf. But this might be one of the few cases where they deserve a pass.

Instead, we probably need to look in the mirror to see who’s to blame.

Numerous times over the decades, Tucson-area voters have rejected plans to build freeways, parkways and grade-separated interchanges to facilitate increasing traffic flows.

Voters in 1984 rejected a $15 million bond question to fund studies for a 13-mile Rillito-Pantano Parkway extending from the northwest side to the Tanque Verde Valley on the far east side.

Then in 1986, voters again rejected a transportation plan, this one a half-cent sales tax to fund 22 miles of new highway and 16 grade-separated interchanges, among other improvements.

A 1990 proposal, again funded by a half-cent sales tax, would have brought grade-separated interchanges at Grant and Campbell; Swan and Grant; Craycroft and Grant; Broadway and Kolb; 22nd Street and Kino Parkway; 22nd and Sixth Avenue; and Sixth Avenue and Ajo Way.

Not exactly freeways, but the plan was to limit the stop-and-go of surface streets and keep traffic moving.

Proposals in the 1970s similarly failed or never got past planning in the face of overwhelming opposition.

If three of those proposals had ever been built, they would have undoubtedly changed the growth patterns and character of the region in ways we can’t imagine today.

Included among them was the Butterfield Expressway, which would have taken the route of what is today Golf Links from Kolb Road to the train tracks, then west to meet with I-10 just south of downtown.

A portion of that is what we today call Barraza-Aviation Parkway, which looks a lot like a big middle without beginning or end.

Another was the first iteration of the Rillito-Pantano Parkway, which would have intersected with Butterfield on the east side.

The final, Interstate 710, would have begun at the Butterfield near Campbell and run south to Tucson International Airport.

Plans to build these freeways and parkways were hugely controversial, with opponents concerned about environmental losses, pollution, property condemnations and sprawl.

Here’s an example of the concerns of the time: “For instance, building a Butterfield to southeast Tucson will shorten the 30-to 45-minute drive from downtown to Pantano Road to about 10 minutes. Providing such easy access, the critics complained, only encourages more people to move even farther out,” Arizona Daily Star reporter Joe Gold wrote in 1974 as part of a series called “The Shrinking Desert.”

Concerns over sprawl seem quaint today considering we never got the freeways. But we sure got the sprawl.

So is there ever a chance to get a crosstown freeway, or has the idea become Tucson’s El Dorado?

We have the Regional Transportation Authority plan that’s adding capacity to surface streets but lacks the crosstown freeway or parkway element.

As an interesting note on that, Jim DeGrood with the RTA said about 30 percent of the current RTA projects to expand road capacity were initially identified in Tucson’s 1951 streets and arterial roadway plan.

There’s also the possibility of renewing the half-cent RTA sales tax in 2026 for a second round of capacity improvements.

But the truth is, the freeways and loops that bisect and encircle other regions may never be a reality in Tucson.

With the path of any serviceable route cutting through heavily developed areas, the costs of property acquisitions to build a freeway would be astronomical.

The RTA briefly considered reviving the Rillito-Pantano Parkway idea for the 2006 plan, but quickly dropped it when it was determined the costs to build it would have gobbled up almost the entire $2 billion plan.

So as you drive around town, counting stoplights and wondering why there’s not a faster way, remember who you can blame. The decisions we made yesterday are the driving legacy we live with today.
I was Downtown Friday night and they had the 4th Avenue underpass closed off again. No cars going into Downtown but all sorts of cars heading to 4th Ave. Will this Aviation bypass open the 4th Ave underpass back up or will this be another step to keep people from easily getting Downtown?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Haven't they read the "best place on campus to take a dump" thread?

I've never known college campuses to make an effort to keep homeless people away.
Merkin

Not downtown

Post by Merkin »

But not sure where to place this:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TRAFFIC ALERT: The 6th Ave underpass into downtown is closed for the next hour while crews work to remove a truck that got stuck

https://www.facebook.com/kvoa4/photos/a ... =3&fref=nf" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

whoops. someone is getting fired
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I used to work near that underpass - that happens about once a year.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

That underpass has been there for about 100 years. Exactly when are truck drivers going to learn to read the height clearance signs d'ya suppose?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Ate at Proper when I was down last. Not a bad happy hour and enjoyed it. Their sister restaurant in flagstaff, Brix, is one my favorites.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Indoor go kart racing track to open in downtown Tucson

Speed-racers will soon be able to start their engines at an indoor racing track downtown.

Autobahn Indoor Speedway is opening a European-style facility at 300 S. Toole Ave. in May.

Racers will ride Italian electric pro-karts that reach speeds of 50 mph.

Autobahn has six indoor-track locations across the country and is opening four others, including the Tucson site, this year.

The company leased the 60,000-square-foot facility from the Levin Family Limited Partnership. Stephen D. Cohen and Russell W. Hall, with Picor, represented the landlord, and Tim Healy, with CBRE, represented the tenant.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Indoor cart racing is a blast. That will be a welcomed addition to this dusty town.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Electric go-karts? That's kind of interesting in itself. With those curves no way you can reach 50mph.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Heres the setup in other cities

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

RichardCranium wrote:That underpass has been there for about 100 years. Exactly when are truck drivers going to learn to read the height clearance signs d'ya suppose?

Huh. Aussies can't read clearance signs either.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Jefe wrote:Indoor go kart racing track to open in downtown Tucson
Speed-racers will soon be able to start their engines at an indoor racing track downtown.

Autobahn Indoor Speedway is opening a European-style facility at 300 S. Toole Ave. in May.

Racers will ride Italian electric pro-karts that reach speeds of 50 mph.

Autobahn has six indoor-track locations across the country and is opening four others, including the Tucson site, this year.

The company leased the 60,000-square-foot facility from the Levin Family Limited Partnership. Stephen D. Cohen and Russell W. Hall, with Picor, represented the landlord, and Tim Healy, with CBRE, represented the tenant.
I've got an indoor go kart track about a mile and half from my house.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nice work Tucson in cutting all that crime, going to cut the police department that was recently over 1,000 licensed officers down to 830.
I know the subsidy for the trolley was at best going to be $4M a year. Wonder what it really ended up as?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Streetcar ridership down, city to cut hours.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3182 ... nding-down" target="_blank

Streetcar expansion to go without federal dollars since it will be faster and cheaper.

https://www.azpm.org/p/featured-news/20 ... re-growth/" target="_blank

“If you can actually do it locally and privately, without having to use federal funds, you can build a street car extension for about a third of the cost in half the time,” he said.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Caterpillar Inc. bringing regional HQ to downtown Tucson, 600 jobs

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/cater ... &id=201408" target="_blank
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The revitalization of downtown had to play a part in Cat's decision making.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not downtown, but not sure where to put this:

After 72 years, live dog racing ends at Tucson Greyhound Park

http://tucson.com/news/local/after-year ... 729f5.html" target="_blank
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Merkin wrote:After 72 years, live dog racing ends at Tucson Greyhound Park
I actually think that zombie dog racing will be much more entertaining.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Another new mixed occupancy building going up at Broadway and Stone

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Jefe wrote:Another new mixed occupancy building going up at Broadway and Stone

Resi over retail. Should be a nice project.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya it will be. Same owner as 1 E Broadway

Last edited by Jefe on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just curious, where do those people who live about the shops park? Tucson is not like NYC where you don't need a car, or have to rent a very expensive spot in a garage.

But the concept is cool. If I was a young professional living downtown near the clubs and restaurants would be ideal.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

1 E Broadway has 3 or 4 levels of parking underground and I think the new one has a couple as well. There is also a huge garage right behind it that is never used.

They are open to the public during business hours but permit only after 6 or 7pm on weekends. The bottom 2 floors require a remote to open the secondary gate so its for residents only

1 E Broadway is $900-2600/mo depending on the floorplan. I believe this one will be the same
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

With the streetcar, I'll bet students would like it too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

http://tucson.com/news/local/article_1d ... &id=201408" target="_blank

As it celebrates its second anniversary, here are five things to know about Sun Link, Tucson’s streetcar line:

1 Ridership averages 4,000 weekday trips during fall and spring, said city spokesman Michael Graham. About 40 percent of riders ride more than five times per week, he said. It all adds up to about 1 million trips per year. A one-way ticket costs $1.50, plus a 25-cent fee using the GoTucson app.

2 Students make up about 60 percent of ridership during the school year, Graham said. A U-Pass, good for discount rides on the streetcar and bus, costs $87 for one semester plus a $2 card fee.

3 Taxpayers are expected to pay most of the $5.5 million cost to operate the streetcar this fiscal year. Riders’ fares and advertising will bring in about $1 million, said city CFO Joyce Garland.

4 Naming rights are still part of the city’s plan to raise funds for streetcar operations, but the rights haven’t been sold. The person or company who buys the naming rights could put their name on streetcar stations, vehicles, maps and schedules, and websites.

5 Additional routes are possible, but way in the future. Routes to the Tohono Transit Center near the Tucson Mall, the Laos Transit Center on the south side and El Con Mall are sections for study listed in a Pima Association of Governments conceptual plan for transit in the year 2040.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Police chase across Tucson ends in gunfire south of UA campus

http://tucson.com/news/local/crime/poli ... um=twitter" target="_blank

Marana police were apparently chasing a bank robbery suspect, who at some point during the chase stole a Marana police car.

The suspect then apparently carjacked a vehicle in the 1400 block of West Valencia.

The chase ended with the suspect being shot near the area of East Eighth Street and South Campbell Avenue, just south of the UA campus

How do you steal a police car?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That didn't pop up on my UAlert. Crazy.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Explains my commute home. Horrible stuff.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:3 Taxpayers are expected to pay most of the $5.5 million cost to operate the streetcar this fiscal year. Riders’ fares and advertising will bring in about $1 million, said city CFO Joyce Garland.
Holy shit. Classic Tucson
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Gonna be in town next weekend. I go to Tucson a couple times a year since that is where parents retired. However, I have not been in the downtown area in years other than a quick drive-thru.

What are a couple of recommendations for food and drink in the downtown area? More heavy on the drink.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Coop Cat wrote:Gonna be in town next weekend. I go to Tucson a couple times a year since that is where parents retired. However, I have not been in the downtown area in years other than a quick drive-thru.

What are a couple of recommendations for food and drink in the downtown area? More heavy on the drink.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
are you into craft beer? if so I would always recommend going to Borderlands and Pueblo Vida brewing. Both are cool spaces and have great beer.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Coop Cat wrote:What are a couple of recommendations for food and drink in the downtown area? More heavy on the drink
Scott & Co for cocktails is a must. Its 1 door north of 47 Scott and there's no signage, just a wooden door with a tiny window and maybe 15 seats inside. Phenomenal drinks.

Reilly Craft Pizza around the corner from there has 3 bars. I would skip the indoor bar unless you want to eat(theeee best brussel sprouts around). Outside they have a beer garden with 25 options, TVs and cornhole. Downstairs is a "speakeasy" of sorts called Tough Luck Club with a great cocktail menu. The history of that basement is interesting, ask the bartender. Also order some buzz buttons, they are $1 and will shock you.

Then you have the Arizona Ave alley bars just south of Congress. Independent Distillery & Highwire Lounge. Highwire has some very creative cocktails but the atmosphere is lacking. You cant go wrong at Independent. Great beers and cocktails and its always busy. Drink outside and check out the new the Marriott

Just southeast of downtown is Barrio Brewery. Almost walkable but take an uber over if you dont start there. Great beers and food as well as the best shuffleboard table in Tucson

I would also venture over to University Ave and check out Illegal Petes, Reds, and Pascos. No game this week so it wont be a mad house
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Jefe wrote:Scott & Co for cocktails is a must.
I would have said the same thing too, but have you been lately? The gf and I went to Scott & Co. after dinner at Poca Cosa and we both had such mediocre drinks that I am wary to go back.
Coop Cat wrote:What are a couple of recommendations for food and drink in the downtown area? More heavy on the drink
Tough Luck Club probably has the best cocktails downtown. And if you're willing to venture a little east, Sidecar does drinks better than anyone in Tucson IMHO.
Formerly McLurvin
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Thanks for the reviews. Will be stopping in on a couple of these.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I was taking a tour of the new tower at 1 W Stone when this happened:

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3375 ... own-tucson" target="_blank
Investigators in Tucson are searching for a suspect connected to a stabbing death in downtown Tucson early Saturday morning, Nov. 19.

According to police, the victim has been identified as 38-year-old Joseph Robert Lundberg.

Police and firefighters responded to the Ronstadt Transit Center just after 12:30 a.m. where they found a man near the bus benches with obvious signs of trauma, according to a release from Tucson Police Department.

Lundberg died at the scene despite the efforts of emergency personnel.

Tucson police Sgt. Pete Dugan said Friday that police learned that the victim was involved in some sort of fight with another man near the bus center approximately an hour earlier at 11:30 p.m.

That suspect was last seen running north from the area, Dugan said.

Investigators believe that other people were around the Ronstadt Transit Center when the fight happened, so they're encouraging witnesses to come forward. Anyone with information should call 911 or report it anonymously through 88-CRIME.
Someone in the facebook comments said they have video footage of the fight and the guy that died actually started the fight and then got stabbed
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.brulefisher.com/2016/12/05/t ... ar-routes/" target="_blank

On Wednesday, November 30, Tucson Association of Realtors, along with other real estate professionals, transportation experts and various government officials held a town hall to openly discuss successes, failures, and the future expansion of the Streetcar in Tucson.

The major takeaway being Tucson’s Modern Street Car is arguably the most successful of its kind in the country showing a positive economic impact along every inch of the 4 mile track.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

there are definitely legitimate complaints and concerns, but the massive explosion of things to do downtown and general revitalization and growth is definitely worth it. so many places to go and hang out and get a brew or good food that didn't exist 10 years ago, much less even 3-4 years ago.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UAdevil wrote:http://www.brulefisher.com/2016/12/05/t ... ar-routes/

On Wednesday, November 30, Tucson Association of Realtors, along with other real estate professionals, transportation experts and various government officials held a town hall to openly discuss successes, failures, and the future expansion of the Streetcar in Tucson.

The major takeaway being Tucson’s Modern Street Car is arguably the most successful of its kind in the country showing a positive economic impact along every inch of the 4 mile track.
Anecdotally speaking, I am downtown every day and see mostly empty street cars, and I know quite a few people who are down here during non-working hours who have only been on it once just to experience it. Business must be booming Friday and Saturday nights and with the crowd that I do not know (who seem to be the ones who would rather take the streetcar than walk a very walk-able downtown for those younger than them and with less disposable income).. This may be a case of chicken or the egg.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I have never known anyone personally that has actually ridden the streetcar and they always look empty. But hey if it is somehow indirectly responsible for the awesome growth that's taken place downtown then good.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

BoA vacating their downtown tower.

http://tucson.com/business/tucson/bank- ... aign=share" target="_blank