If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Re: If you had to pick ONE restaurant in Tucson

Post by Jefe »

Whats weird is they just completely overhauled their menu and portion sizes about 2 months ago. Everything was way too big before and you always took home leftovers.

The last time I was there the owner and bartender were literally yelling at each other and the bartender offered to resign right in front of us. This was before he brought us our food and wound up keeping his job for a bit longer. They employed 43 people...
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Jefe wrote:The food is pretty damn good though! ^ Really did a nice job on the remodel.

Shlomo & Vitos closed Feb 6, citing rising food and labor costs but anyone who ever went there knows it was the management, staff and lack of customers.

Bumsteds on 4th Ave is being forced out of their lease this Sunday and Lindy's in moving in next month.
Yeah I saw some comments from the owner of Shlomo and Vitos whining about the minimum wage and I just had to :roll: Apparently they charged upwards of $15 for sandwiches there and yet somehow couldn't absorb paying less than $2 more in wages after 4 weeks. Give me a break. But I did see that the owner's Porsche is in good shape as well as his mansion in the foothills.
Is that the deli on the SW corner of Campbell and Skyline? If so, ate there when I was in town for Thanksgiving 2015. It was pretty empty at lunch and the staff seemed disinterested. Forget what I had, but it was okay I guess.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yep thats it. Way too big of a spot for them. I think they had about 5,550 sf at $0.30/ft triple net.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Their menu was sprawling. Having that big of a menu jacks up the food cost.

I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

230 seems like an excessive amount of people for a restaurant like that. i could see 40 or 50..230??
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ASUHATER! wrote:230 seems like an excessive amount of people for a restaurant like that. i could see 40 or 50..230??
Maybe predominately part time workers (I'm guessing) and the amount of hours open (Sun - Thu 11:00am - Midnight, Fri - Sat 11:00am - 1:00am) I can see it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

yup, definitely can't consider ever employing people full time with any kind of benefits. they'd rather hire 230 people to work 20 hours a week than 120 to work full time and have to pay them benefits at all.
Last edited by scumdevils86 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Review of ex-Wildcat House now Brother John's (BroJos):

Seems pricey for a lunch destination to go all the way to N Stone.

http://tucson.com/entertainment/dining/ ... &id=201408" target="_blank
Went there for the first time yesterday. Nice place and the brisket was awesome.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Wild Garlic Grill moving from 1st Ave to the old Shlomo & Vitos location at Skyline and Campbell in mid October
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

wyo-cat wrote:

I had a bottle of home made grappa from Croatia - it was in water bottles with hand written labels taped to the side...strong stuff!!
Grappa! Be careful. I don't know if it's still extant but if I had to pick one Tucson restaurant it would be Tavolino. For pizza: Vero Amore out at Dove Mtn.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

All apologies if it's been mentioned in the thread already but I took my daughter & her roommates to Wildflower on Oracle Saturday night & we had a wonderful meal, service & experience. Everything was great. Nice little spot, sat outside & watched the thunderstorm roll through town & enjoyed every bit of our 2 hours. Not too expensive either. I don't get down enough & haven't lived there in too long to say it's the ONE restaurant but I would highly recommend it. Chef chooses some neat options & the pasta which they make daily in house was perfect.
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:All apologies if it's been mentioned in the thread already but I took my daughter & her roommates to Wildflower on Oracle Saturday night & we had a wonderful meal, service & experience. Everything was great. Nice little spot, sat outside & watched the thunderstorm roll through town & enjoyed every bit of our 2 hours. Not too expensive either. I don't get down enough & haven't lived there in too long to say it's the ONE restaurant but I would highly recommend it. Chef chooses some neat options & the pasta which they make daily in house was perfect.
Sam Fox built a restaurant empire starting with Wildflower, good to see it still holds up well.
Formerly McLurvin
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sorry Tucson, for Mexican food you are only 23rd, just ahead of Charlotte, and way behind Indianapolis.

http://santamariatimes.com/lifestyles/f ... n=LEEDCC#3" target="_blank
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Based on Yelp reviews...
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Jefe wrote:Based on Yelp reviews...
Yep, and another problem being that "Mexican food" means too many things. I'd like to see which U.S. city beats Tucson for Sonoran food.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

well that's stupid. yelp is ridiculous because there's people who give 1 star to a great restaurant because an employee didn't speak english well at a local mexican restaurant.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Longhorned wrote:
Yep, and another problem being that "Mexican food" means too many things. I'd like to see which U.S. city beats Tucson for Sonoran food.
Exactly, LH! Sonoran food.

I've tried 3000 "Mexican" restaurants around Los Angeles and only found a rare few who even touch Tucson. Anyone who can put me on to a new one around here, I'm buyin'.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Sorry Tucson, for Mexican food you are only 23rd, just ahead of Charlotte, and way behind Indianapolis.

http://santamariatimes.com/lifestyles/f ... n=LEEDCC#3" target="_blank
Ha. One of the major factors in all of this is that people in Tucson are actually discerning. I've been to Portland. My wife hates spicy stuff, and even she thought Mexican food there was bland. It was like eating tissue paper.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

If you go to one taco shop, or mexican restaurant, for all your mexican food desires, you are doing it wrong. Something everyone in the Soutwest, even SoCal, knows. Reviews about an entire mexican taco shop mean jack shit to me. How is their al pastor?
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

scumdevils86 wrote:well that's stupid. yelp is ridiculous because there's people who give 1 star to a great restaurant because an employee didn't speak english well at a local mexican restaurant.
The menu in Spanish is a problem for some, but a plus for me!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote:
When my daughter moved to San Diego from the northern Santa Barbara county, she said SD style is a lot different than Santa Maria style Mexican. Santa Maria is more Michoacán, not sure what SD, doubt Sonoran. Same with Tex Mex, more cheesy and beefy that further west.

Does Mexico have "American" restaurants? Southern US cuisine is a lot different than western US or midwestern. Can you even get unsweetened ice tea in the south?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I ordered Mexican food once in Indy. The Pace Salsa was a nice touch.
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
When my daughter moved to San Diego from the northern Santa Barbara county, she said SD style is a lot different than Santa Maria style Mexican. Santa Maria is more Michoacán, not sure what SD, doubt Sonoran. Same with Tex Mex, more cheesy and beefy that further west.

Does Mexico have "American" restaurants? Southern US cuisine is a lot different than western US or midwestern. Can you even get unsweetened ice tea in the south?
Tell your daughter if she doesn't mind standing in line to visit Las Quatro Milpas on Logan St. in the Barrio. She'll thank you.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I would say SD is more Baja style--with fish tacos and California burritos that mix fries and carne asada. More fresh ingredients, browner beans, queso fresco.

Tell your daughter to confirm that at the Taco Stand in Leucadia, or La Jolla if she's closer to Pearl St. Having sampled Mex in both cities, personally, I would rate SD higher than Tucson, but YMFMV.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Overall I'd say Tucson is one of the best, easily top 5 Mexican food cities in the country. It's obviously #1 for Sonoran/NW Mexican food, but yeah theres sommuch variety in the cuisine to say that Tucson should be #1 or #23.

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

catgrad97 wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I would say SD is more Baja style--with fish tacos and California burritos that mix fries and carne asada. More fresh ingredients, browner beans, queso fresco.

Tell your daughter to confirm that at the Taco Stand in Leucadia, or La Jolla if she's closer to Pearl St. Having sampled Mex in both cities, personally, I would rate SD higher than Tucson, but YMFMV.
Most (almost all) Mexican food in San Diego is either very pedestrian or cheap fast food of the Mexican variety. Strangely, good Mexican food is not common here. After 44 years here I've found a few, but it took a lot of trial and error. I would say Tucson is generally better.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I had some amazingggg street tacos near Mission Beach this past weekend. Probably the best I've ever had.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Either everything's a taco, or there are no tacos at all.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Anyone been to the Drunken Chicken on 4th Ave yet? Looks good

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

cats101 wrote:I had some amazingggg street tacos near Mission Beach this past weekend. Probably the best I've ever had.
There are lots of good taco places here, some good, most not so much. My kids take me to a taco place in National City that is really good. Mexican food in South Bay, and other places with big Hispanic populations, tends to be a lot better than that in the tourist areas like Mission Beach, but there are always surprises.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

As for San Diego, I'd include some of the most memorable tacos in my life: The tacos dorados at Hotel Nelson across the border in Tijuana. They used to make a slow-simmered chuck pot roast that a fried tortilla could handle structurally. Unlike anything I've had elsewhere.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

MrMeow wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

Tell your daughter if she doesn't mind standing in line to visit Las Quatro Milpas on Logan St. in the Barrio. She'll thank you.
100% yes to Las Quatro Milpas. Also, add Tacos El Gordo to the list, and make sure you get multiple adobada and lengua.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

cats101 wrote:I had some amazingggg street tacos near Mission Beach this past weekend. Probably the best I've ever had.
donde?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

We had a birthday party for my youngest kid at La Paloma yesterday, to top the evening off we walked down to Contigo for some wine and tapas. It was very good. I usually recommend Casa Vicente south of downtown for tapas, but this one goes on the list.

If any of you guys visit from out of town and you are up in the Foothills - check this place out. It's in the old J Bar space.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I used to go to the contigo that was on River but the newer location just didn't seem as good. Idk why.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That's a bold strategy Cotton:

Tucson restaurant drops NFL broadcasts in politically charged Facebook post

http://tucson.com/lifestyles/food-and-c ... D=ref_fark

The owners of a University of Arizona-area restaurant announced Friday they will no longer show broadcasts of NFL games.

The announcement came at the end of a lengthy, politically charged Facebook post from Cup It Up American Grill, 760 N. Tyndall Ave., that the owners defined as their “statement.”

The post listed what the restaurant’s owners believe in — “OUR President Donald J. Trump,” “Always standing for the National Anthem” — and what they do not believe in — “Kneeling for the National Anthem,” “Political correctness.”

The post, drafted by owners Christopher Smith and Jay Warren, was apparently in response to the ongoing debate about NFL players kneeling for the national anthem to protest racial inequality. President Trump recently joined the public discourse, calling for players to be fired and fans to boycott.

Cup It Up’s post went up just before the lunch rush and immediately attracted attention, most of it negative, including from diners who vowed they would never eat in the restaurant again. It was taken down three hours later after nearly 60 people had shared it and more than 30 had commented.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well I definitely know where not to eat

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They're closed.

Co-owner not involved in the FB post has hired a lawyer to get away from the other Trump-tard owners.

http://tucson.com/business/cup-it-up-cl ... aign=share" target="_blank
Last edited by Merkin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Cannot think of a more stupid thing to do from a local restaurant.

And before someone complains... personal political options have not been expressed here... yet
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

What a clusterfuck. There are 3 partners in this restaurant. 1 didn't know about the post and has already resigned and is weighing his legal options to untangle himself from the business. I doubt they survive the week. What a stupid thing to put out to the general public.

http://tucson.com/laestrella/ciudad/cup ... bc00c.html" target="_blank
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Merkin wrote:They're closed.

Not according to this tweet two hours ago from the Star:

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:They're closed.

Co-owner not involved in the FB post has hired a lawyer to get away from the other Trump-tard owners.
I heard they decided not to close after they decided to close
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I didn't even know that was a cup it up now. Had been a silvermine subs from at least 2003-2016

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

New hangout for Tucson fascists.

Yelp reviews: https://www.yelp.com/biz/cup-it-up-amer ... olWmGcv3LA" target="_blank

Do they even know what is in the Bill of Rights? Before the 2nd Amendment anyway?

Does Trump count as "celebrity opinions"?

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I went there and was not impressed by the quality of food for the cost.

Not a smart way to go for them.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

2 girls, ONE...
Zero

Post by Zero »

http://tucson.com/news/local/cup-it-up- ... 7da32.html
Meanwhile, the Pima County Republican Party on Saturday morning took to Facebook to encourage people to support Cup It Up. Ana Henderson, the county GOP’s first vice chairman, invited people to the restaurant from 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 10.

“Those who hate and disparage freedom that was fought for by many in behalf of ALL and represented by our United States Flag must not be heard louder than you,” she wrote. “Those who ‘take a knee’ and lash out in our community at our freedom must witness our strength and our voice in our community. Do not surrender to enslavement. Stand together now — stand with me!”
Zero

Post by Zero »

It also shut down today.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

nice lesson in capitalism repubs.