Work Status Update

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Work Status Update

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:I have a work email chain where one of my vendors is referring to himself as Mr.chubywubs The cat.
How endearingly psychotic.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

azgreg wrote:I have a work email chain where one of my vendors is referring to himself as Mr.chubywubs The cat.
Parts supplier for the mobile sperm donor van?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Just inspection a small gun part.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not what I would have guessed it was!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:Not what I would have guessed it was!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Image

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ loved the Rat Patrol as a kid.

But that Toyota pickup always makes me think of...

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

It took just over a year but we finally closed the $17.3 billion Eldorado/Caesars merger this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to get a little more sleep now.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Nice job Kenny!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Status report on what I've been doing during lock-down.

LP Collection all cataloged on Discogs (actually this was complete before lock down). Market value varies from day to day, but generally hovers around $35000 for 1,143 records (and counting). Many of those records do not have a Discogs market value (because they have not been sold via Discogs), so I generalize using the high water mark for the over all catalog. For any particular record the median is a better number.

CD Collection is almost finished and it just crossed the $10000 mark for 915 CDs (thank you Stevie Wonder!). Again, many have no current Discogs market value. I still have 6 CDs in 'W' and then about 25 in 'X', 'Y', and 'Z' to finish up.

When I started I didn't have any idea that it would reach those dollar amounts. Just goes to show that it pays off to have been alive in the 60's and 70's and to have not thrown out the so-called obsolete vinyl records.

'Pays off', that is, if I chose to sell anything. Fat chance. But at least I know what to insure, and if I get run over by a bus, SWMBO might not get ripped off when she sells it.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

legallykenny wrote:It took just over a year but we finally closed the $17.3 billion Eldorado/Caesars merger this morning. Hopefully I'll be able to get a little more sleep now.
That’s a big fucking deal (figuratively & literally).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I am now the SpaceX lead inspector for my company.Yep, additional duties without the burden of additional income.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azgreg wrote:I am now the SpaceX lead inspector for my company.Yep, additional duties without the burden of additional income.
Free Tesla company car?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

These are pressure vessels that we make They are made from Inconel 625 and are very thick. I'm told they are part of a guidance system of some sort. This one failed at 27,000 lbs of pressure in testing. It passed the test.

Last edited by azgreg on Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I know some of the guys in the testing dept at Honeywell in PHX. They break shit up for a living.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

A recruiter just contacted me about a job working on VAX computers running the VMS operating system.

I have it at way at the bottom of my resume but haven't worked on one in over 30 years. :lol:

-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:A recruiter just contacted me about a job working on VAX computers running the VMS operating system.

I have it at way at the bottom of my resume but haven't worked on one in over 30 years. :lol:

I remember those! Huge improvement over keying my cards on the keypunch machine for my COBOL class.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My hectic level was set to 11 all fucking day today.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I like my job.

I’m respected in group and in my community

I don’t like my boss. This person is stuck in the past, was supposed to step down in the summer but like Trump, is holding on “for continuity during Covid health system operations”

Leadership asked us to come up w a department 5 year strategic plan. This person did nothing and thus the threat of said plan being imposed on us increased. So a colleague and I got the ball rolling to solicit advice from all in our group. Now this person is pissy and crapping all over our ideas saying they won’t work and they don’t want to be “forced to “ do things. Despite every thing this person suggests is antiquated and has caused us to lose attrition over the past 5 years to market forces and competitors.

Also, cal osha came to me asking to partner on a really cool covid testing project in my region. It would be very little downside for us. Nope. No go based in this persons opinion/decision.

Also a week or two ago, they told when when they do step down (yeah right they’ve been saying this to me for 16mo now) they’d like to stay on as a mentor to me. I curtly replied back that when that time comes I am ready to lead and if there are restrictions on that then I’d rather stay a clinic doc in a non leadership role, and/or consider other opportunities.

It’s not good right now. I feel I’m doing good work, and don’t want to leave, but each day I get more frustrated by subjective barriers to innovation and being able to practice to the full spectrum of my certification.

I hope this vent helps me to persist.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

CalStateTempe wrote:I like my job.

I’m respected in group and in my community

I don’t like my boss. This person is stuck in the past, was supposed to step down in the summer but like Trump, is holding on “for continuity during Covid health system operations”

Leadership asked us to come up w a department 5 year strategic plan. This person did nothing and thus the threat of said plan being imposed on us increased. So a colleague and I got the ball rolling to solicit advice from all in our group. Now this person is pissy and crapping all over our ideas saying they won’t work and they don’t want to be “forced to “ do things. Despite every thing this person suggests is antiquated and has caused us to lose attrition over the past 5 years to market forces and competitors.

Also, cal osha came to me asking to partner on a really cool covid testing project in my region. It would be very little downside for us. Nope. No go based in this persons opinion/decision.

Also a week or two ago, they told when when they do step down (yeah right they’ve been saying this to me for 16mo now) they’d like to stay on as a mentor to me. I curtly replied back that when that time comes I am ready to lead and if there are restrictions on that then I’d rather stay a clinic doc in a non leadership role, and/or consider other opportunities.

It’s not good right now. I feel I’m doing good work, and don’t want to leave, but each day I get more frustrated by subjective barriers to innovation and being able to practice to the full spectrum of my certification.

I hope this vent helps me to persist.
That sucks. I hate that crap. Good doctors should be rewarded and respected. Poor management sucks.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I'm real sorry cst. Seriously the biggest difference I've ever had working is having leadership who supports change, openness, and new ideas and feedback from their staff. My boss and VP now are all in the same page with me and we are all a team. Sure there's boundaries but we are honestly more co-workers and partners than anything else. It is an amazing difference. I hope this person gets the fuck out of your way soon.

Also, my work status is drastically improved as of late by having my own private, detached office to work from home. It's glorious.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support and advice from all here.

Prayers may have been answered. Let’s just say it’s time to play ball.

TBD
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

My job was a covid casualty. Wife and I are burning through our savings.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Shit that sucks! I hope you find new jobs stat
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:17 am My job was a covid casualty. Wife and I are burning through our savings.
I am so damn sorry to hear that. And I can definitely relate.

I’ll connect with you on LinkedIn and you should roll through my connections to see if there’s anyone I can introduce you to.

Anyone else in the same boat I encourage you to do the same. We should all connect and see if we can’t make some introductions.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Thanks Chi. Appreciate that a lot.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

UADevil,
That sucks. Best of luck in the job search.

Is the PayPal link working for site donations?

We need to make sure nothing is coming out of your pocket for this place.
-JB
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 am UADevil,

I have to set up a better donation portal, but that'll be coming fairly soon. Would definitely not say no to any contributions. Come Dec 17 I have to renew my hosting account and domains and I must admit I've been finding a way to broach that purchase with my wife. lol.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAdevil wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:28 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:06 am UADevil,

I have to set up a better donation portal, but that'll be coming fairly soon. Would definitely not say no to any contributions. Come Dec 17 I have to renew my hosting account and domains and I must admit I've been finding a way to broach that purchase with my wife. lol.
I am 100% committed to ensuring you don’t have to shell out $.01 going forward. We will pull together whatever we need to in order to keep this site running at no further cost to you.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yup agreed. I'd pay $20 a month just to have the privilege of viewing posts and content here haha.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm dirt poor and I'll throw in $20 a month myself
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Same here. Let us know when the donation portal is set up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We will have news coming out soon about donations.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'm retired so can't donate a lot, but will certainly toss in a few bucks. If I can donate to Jaime Harrison I can certainly afford to pay for premium!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let me know as well so I can donate too. Would rather have my money go to this forum before my wife get's a hold of it. :roll:

UADevil - will send you a PM.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Just got rejected for a job I honestly thought I had in the bag. Had gone through 4 of the 5 interviews and thought I killed each and every one. Was just waiting to get the fifth one scheduled but hadn't heard anything. Reached out and got a very short "moving forward with other candidates who are a closer match".

I'm honestly gutted right now. 6 months out of work and I'm back to square one.

FML
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That fucking sucks Justin... really sucks.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dang, that's just awful. What a terrible trying world this is.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Dammit. I'm sorry to hear that. Knowing you made it that far should feel good in some situations but not this one, not in this world right now. I'm sure you'll get rewarded soon.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sucks Chi. We just had a layoff today which included my boss. Also, I found out a guy I work closely with has Covid so I had to go get tested today.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Fuck those fucks. Don't they have the decency to communicate on a human level? Bloody hell.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:37 pm Fuck those fucks. Don't they have the decency to communicate on a human level? Bloody hell.
No, they don’t. I’ve received the same boilerplate response with every rejection. No actual reason why, just that others are vaguely better. Not sure exactly how I’m supposed to get a job if no one has the basic common decency to tell me why I may not be right for the one they are looking to fill.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:10 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:37 pm Fuck those fucks. Don't they have the decency to communicate on a human level? Bloody hell.
No, they don’t. I’ve received the same boilerplate response with every rejection. No actual reason why, just that others are vaguely better. Not sure exactly how I’m supposed to get a job if no one has the basic common decency to tell me why I may not be right for the one they are looking to fill.
After years of hanging around this site, you get a feel for some of the regulars. From what I know of you Chi, you are extremely articulate, witty, and seem to have a creative way of looking at things. You're in marketing, right? I'm very sure you're extremely well suited for that line of work. I think your talents will be recognized before long.

You know, many government agencies need marketing/pr people to keep the mission and message on point to the public and while it pays less, comes with good job security and benefits.

Hang in there man. Job searching is always a bitch, but im confident you'll come through it.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Guys...need to some advice.

Who here has had to make the decision between less money for better quality of life and full support of leadership for your goals/plans vs higher salary but less autonomy and lower quality of life (work coming home with you, direct boss who you don’t respect, etc)?

I’m on the precipice of such a decision and know what my heart wants, it’s a pretty cool job, but just wanted to hear from others who’ve had to make similar decisions.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I recently transferred from a lead position and was offered a non-lead position at my current salary, then late in negotiations they offered a lead position at a higher salary but I turned it down.

Not worth the headaches and increased workload for a little bit more money.
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

To me it's easy.

Do what you enjoy doing. If you hate getting up in the morning to go to work, it doesn't matter how much $$$ you are making.

Life is too short.

I've had to make this choice before... and I applied this to myself. I have never regretted the choice of happiness over $$$$
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yep I don't think I could choose the money over balance and happiness. Unless it was something insane that let me retire 15 years earlier or something. Even then I don't know. I have no desire to get to the upper echelons of leadership anywhere. I'd rather work from home and be able to leave by 6 every night and know there is someone above me to take the hit if it ever came to that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks guys...

Alieb, that’s what is come to for me, and the past year has been incredibly difficulty at work for a myriad of reasons some documented here, in addition to just normal clinical care matters.

I know/feel I’m making the rIght decision, but part of me wonders/hopes that its not the baseline dysthymia I’ve been dealing with the last several weeks/months.

But when I see how ineffective our vaccine rollout has been to patient and staff, the lackadaisical approach of various parties, the failure to heed my earnest recommendations that peers at other places are instituting, it’s just so damn deflating.

Meanwhile the other place has been waiting in the wings and I have friends and peers their who I respect and would get to work with, with less work at home and on weekends, It’s a slam dunk. I just feel likes it’s time for a reset in something that will be a ton of fun and I don’t think that’s the dysthymia talking.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Here’s the crazy thing...it’s actually a step up in leadership, but a salaried position, rather than the productive model I am currently on.

Also I’m involved a ton of institutional work but no To little protected time; where as this position has protected time to be effective in both the leadership and clinical roles. Will streamline where I am putting my time so it impacts home life less.

Plus when I heard who I’d be working with, one who is a mentor and another who is a friend, it’s like, hell yeah I want to join the party.