Moving to Phoenix

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

FreeSpiritCat

Re: Moving to Phoenix

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I just got done running after dark and, I swear, the temperature didn't drop a single degree. I drank well over 1/2 gallon of water after running 3 miles. I'm missing Tucson's cooler weather when the sun goes down. This is just hellish. I'm not used to this kind of heat all the time.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's the concrete heat island effect.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Yeah today was hottt. The concrete heat island sucks. Luckily Payson is only an hour away if you wanna a cooler weekend getaway.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Or, just wait for the torrential rainfall that is hitting my house presently.

That is one of the big differences between PHX and Tucson, though. During the day, 5 degrees hotter. At night, 10-15 degrees hotter. Sucks - absolute worst part of living here IMHO. I can deal with 110 in the day but 90+ when I step outside in the morning is brutal.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:It's the concrete heat island effect.
Which also forces monsoons around PHX. Tucson is getting that way too. Tucson now is Phoenix in the 1960s.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just had family move back from Boulder to Scottsdale. In July. And they couldn't wait to get here. Just sayin.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

they're batshit insane then.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

scumdevils86 wrote:they're batshit insane then.
Boulder is craft beer heaven!
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAdevil wrote:

But only 3.2%, or did that change?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Merkin wrote:
UAdevil wrote:

But only 3.2%, or did that change?

Must have changed. Some of my favorite 8% + IPAs come from Colorado breweries.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

UAdevil wrote:

Must have changed. Some of my favorite 8% + IPAs come from Colorado breweries.

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

This my my current love.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Boulder has a serious drug problem. I'm not talking pot.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Eat at Tuck Shop. Full stop.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:Eat at Tuck Shop. Full stop.

Owners have a nice breakfast joint too now, near me: Vovomeena
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Longhorned wrote:Eat at Tuck Shop. Full stop.

Tuck?

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Olsondogg wrote:
Boulder has a serious drug problem. I'm not talking pot.
And Scottsdale doesn't???
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

True...but the problems are being left I guess...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azthrillhouse wrote:Or, just wait for the torrential rainfall that is hitting my house presently.

That is one of the big differences between PHX and Tucson, though. During the day, 5 degrees hotter. At night, 10-15 degrees hotter. Sucks - absolute worst part of living here IMHO. I can deal with 110 in the day but 90+ when I step outside in the morning is brutal.
I think you have my favorite user name/avatar combo on this whole site.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

As I'm getting to know the area I'm becoming really happy about the choice I made where to live. Healthy restaurants close by. Nice shopping areas, my favorite being Christown, 19th Ave and Bethany Home Road (a couple of miles away). That place has Costco, Target, and the movie theater complex. The other shopping are is Town & Country on 20th St and Camelback. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are in the same shopping center. And my favorite place is "Health Habits". That place is organic heaven, and it's walking distance from home. I run 1/2 mile away, and take the dog for a walk practically outside my front door. The lawns are green, the trees are tall, and the neighbors are friendly, and watch out for each other. I really like this area.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Catintheheat wrote:As I'm getting to know the area I'm becoming really happy about the choice I made where to live. Healthy restaurants close by. Nice shopping areas, my favorite being Christown, 19th Ave and Bethany Home Road (a couple of miles away). That place has Costco, Target, and the movie theater complex. The other shopping are is Town & Country on 20th St and Camelback. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are in the same shopping center. And my favorite place is "Health Habits". That place is organic heaven, and it's walking distance from home. I run 1/2 mile away, and take the dog for a walk practically outside my front door. The lawns are green, the trees are tall, and the neighbors are friendly, and watch out for each other. I really like this area.
This kinda describes Bellingham, Washington. . . (minus the Whole Foods, plus a bunch of other stuff).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catintheheat wrote:As I'm getting to know the area I'm becoming really happy about the choice I made where to live. Healthy restaurants close by. Nice shopping areas, my favorite being Christown, 19th Ave and Bethany Home Road (a couple of miles away). That place has Costco, Target, and the movie theater complex. The other shopping are is Town & Country on 20th St and Camelback. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are in the same shopping center. And my favorite place is "Health Habits". That place is organic heaven, and it's walking distance from home. I run 1/2 mile away, and take the dog for a walk practically outside my front door. The lawns are green, the trees are tall, and the neighbors are friendly, and watch out for each other. I really like this area.

The lawns are green

Pet peeve, but in this really serious drought year green grass should be one of the first things to go. They cut the water pressure to my office bathrooms, but still water the grass out front?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Phoenix is really surprising me the more I get to know it. I guess it's the perspective one takes that determines ones viewpoint of a place, or anything for that matter. A lot of my perception was based on hearsay and ignorance, instead of experience. Yes, I don't like a lot of the architecture, or rather lack of creativity on the landscape, especially buildings. But that can be said for most big cities. Nevertheless there are very ambient areas, like driving by the Salt River on loop 202, or the small hills spread randomly through the city. I drove back to Tucson last weekend and really a lot of Tucson looks neglected and somewhat trashy.

I work 25 miles from my home in central Phoenix (Bethany Home and 7th St.), and it takes me under 30 minutes to get there. Of all the traffic warnings I've heard, I rarely get into traffic jams in the morning, between 6:45 and 7:30. On the return trip though, the 51 is usually a parking lot for a four mile stretch around 5 pm.

I ate a wild salmon sandwich at Luci's last night and actually met Luci. I saw this woman in a tie-dye dress and asked an employee, at the restaurant/store, if that was the owner. It was and the employer told Luci that I liked her dress. She came by and talked with me fro 10 to 15 minutes. I've never run into anything like that in Tucson.

I've had no problems in Chandler whatsoever. I am totally accepted as a woman at work, and haven't run into one issue about my gender. But they never knew me before my transition either. I can't complain, and feel relieved.

So Phoenix doesn't suck after all. Parts do, but overall I like the city. The neighborhood I live in looks more like the streets of the small towns where I grew up in Indiana, then an urban area. I actually enjoy living here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm glad you found places you like there. There are good parts. I still prefer Tucson after spending 18 years in the Phoenix area it wears on you.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm sure there are great areas in Cleveland as well... As with any city, you just need to find them.

There are plenty of great areas in phx.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Glad you have settled in an found some great spots. I love the part of town that you are living in and do appreciate the freeways whenever I come to visit my parents.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Glad to hear your doing well Catintheheat. I have lived in the Phoenix metro area for 20+ years and it's not that bad. There are some really great areas and things to do.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

(And don't miss going to Frances on Camelback and Central)
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Lost my job recently and I've been looking in Tucson and out and I have an interview soon in Phoenix. Dreading the thought of moving back to Phoenix. Ughh -__-
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

It's funny that I was talking about the Salt River when I actually was looking at Tempe Lake. I was driving by ASU for two weeks and didn't even know it. I've never been to Scummie campus, never wanted to visit there.

I am getting to know some people in Deer Valley and Paradise Valley. I like the people I've met there. I sure like that area much better than the East Valley. Ironically I will probably move to Tempe or Chandler to live closer to work. Having to drive over 50 miles (round trip) to work sucks. And I can save at least $100 in gas/month by living close to work.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

There are some good parts and places in the East Valley Catin, I'm in the east valley and it isn't all bad.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Finally I've been able to settle into living in Phoenix. I thought I was going to have to work in Chandler, but that isn't the case. I am working close to downtown Phoenix by Central Avenue. It's only 3 1/2 miles from home and I won't have to see a freeway again unless it's for enjoyment. I can park at work and take the light rail downtown to catch a D-Backs or Suns game. Central and Downtown Phoenix will be my stomping grounds for the foreseeable future and I am very happy about it.

I finally can settle down and call Phoenix my home.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Catintheheat wrote:Finally I've been able to settle into living in Phoenix. I thought I was going to have to work in Chandler, but that isn't the case. I am working close to downtown Phoenix by Central Avenue. It's only 3 1/2 miles from home and I won't have to see a freeway again unless it's for enjoyment. I can park at work and take the light rail downtown to catch a D-Backs or Suns game. Central and Downtown Phoenix will be my stomping grounds for the foreseeable future and I am very happy about it.

I finally can settle down and call Phoenix my home.

Welcome, glad to have you in Central Phoenix. It is quite unique compared to the cookie cutter burbs of the outlying areas. Oh and if you venture into Arcadia, and are encouraged to go to the Arcadia Tavern by some, just go across the street to OHSO.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

my good friend just moved to Phoenix from Denver last week and we've had fun hanging out at his place. Of course, if he lived anywhere else in Phoenix it probably would suck. He lives in one of the brand new high rise luxury apartment towers across the street from Us Airways Center. It is a great location. Lots of good stuff within walking distance plus the light rail.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Did I mention how much I like Central Phoenix? This part of the city is just beautiful. When I take the dog for a walk it has that small town feel, very similar to the way I felt when I lived in a small town in Indiana growing up. The houses on the streets I walk the dog are from the 1950's. All of them have a character of their own. The lawns are tended, the trees are mature, the neighbors are friendly. I actually have talked to a few neighbors. One has a cat who walks her dog and her cat follows them. The cat has a light on its collar. Another neighbor has been there since 1960. Very friendly. And, while walking home today, I spent about 1/2 hour talking with a third neighbor. She gave a lot of good advice, and was willing to go out of her way to help. This is old Phoenix and doesn't have that urban feel, even though I'm with a couple miles of high-rise buildings. I'm also only 6-7 miles from downtown and Chase Field. Just incredible.

I'm going to be put on a waiting list for an apartment where I plan to move. It's much closer to downtown, (Central Ave corridor is 1/2 mile away) and right in the middle of the Melrose District. I'm beginning to feel very glad I moved here. And I'm beginning not to miss Tucson. This is really surprising me when all I heard is how Phoenix sucks.

One thing I like better in Tucson is Reid Park. I wish there was a 24 hour lit running trail like Reid park has. Yet I find Tucson is not a beautiful city. The surroundings are but the city looks run down. I'm happy where I live now, It's not what I was expecting and I'm pleasantly surprised. There are wonderful people living here.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Sounds like Tucson and the areas around campus and downtown.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Well you're definitely lucky. As I've stated before that's the only neighborhood in Phoenix that is appealing to me and actually looks nice and has some character to it...like Tucson
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Catintheheat wrote:Did I mention how much I like Central Phoenix? This part of the city is just beautiful. When I take the dog for a walk it has that small town feel, very similar to the way I felt when I lived in a small town in Indiana growing up. The houses on the streets I walk the dog are from the 1950's. All of them have a character of their own. The lawns are tended, the trees are mature, the neighbors are friendly. I actually have talked to a few neighbors. One has a cat who walks her dog and her cat follows them. The cat has a light on its collar. Another neighbor has been there since 1960. Very friendly. And, while walking home today, I spent about 1/2 hour talking with a third neighbor. She gave a lot of good advice, and was willing to go out of her way to help. This is old Phoenix and doesn't have that urban feel, even though I'm with a couple miles of high-rise buildings. I'm also only 6-7 miles from downtown and Chase Field. Just incredible.

I'm going to be put on a waiting list for an apartment where I plan to move. It's much closer to downtown, (Central Ave corridor is 1/2 mile away) and right in the middle of the Melrose District. I'm beginning to feel very glad I moved here. And I'm beginning not to miss Tucson. This is really surprising me when all I heard is how Phoenix sucks.

One thing I like better in Tucson is Reid Park. I wish there was a 24 hour lit running trail like Reid park has. Yet I find Tucson is not a beautiful city. The surroundings are but the city looks run down. I'm happy where I live now, It's not what I was expecting and I'm pleasantly surprised. There are wonderful people living here.
I like to make fun of Phoenix but it really does have it all and I don't mind spending so much time here. But if U of A were to ever offer me a job, that would be my top choice and Tucson is just one of my favorite places in the world.
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Cities can look beautiful when the majority of state funds are redirected into their development projects.

I'm glad to hear its working out really well for you CITH. That areas that you mentioned are my favorite in PHX.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: I like to make fun of Phoenix but it really does have it all and I don't mind spending so much time here. But if U of A were to ever offer me a job, that would be my top choice and Tucson is just one of my favorite places in the world.
I'll talk to the wife. She's got some pull!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am moving next month to the place I wanted to move to the first time I saw it. It's just off 7th Avenue in the Midtown Neighborhood (close to Melrose District). The place I'm moving to is lush, like a woods inside an apartment complex (those who know Phoenix will know where I'm talking about). I was on a waiting list for a few months and was lucky a place opened up when it did. The timing was perfect. Now I will live under 1/2 mile from the light rail, and within 3 miles of chase field and Airways Arena, let alone all the other cool stuff downtown. I may not have wanted to come to Phoenix but things are working out after a rough year, with many disappointments.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Catintheheat wrote:I am moving next month to the place I wanted to move to the first time I saw it. It's just off 7th Avenue in the Midtown Neighborhood (close to Melrose District). The place I'm moving to is lush, like a woods inside an apartment complex (those who know Phoenix will know where I'm talking about). I was on a waiting list for a few months and was lucky a place opened up when it did. The timing was perfect. Now I will live under 1/2 mile from the light rail, and within 3 miles of chase field and Airways Arena, let alone all the other cool stuff downtown. I may not have wanted to come to Phoenix but things are working out after a rough year, with many disappointments.

I know exactly where you are, less than a mile from where I live. Don't know if you saw the news, but the strip mall across the street from Safeway burned to the ground on Sunday...still trying to figure out how it started....

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Firefighte ... 97961.html
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Wow! That is really close.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Cool. Any chance you're going to the beer fest at Indian School and Central on Saturday? My friend lives in downtown and we are going to take the light rail to and from.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Cool. Any chance you're going to the beer fest at Indian School and Central on Saturday? My friend lives in downtown and we are going to take the light rail to and from.
That does sound like a lot of fun. And if I hadn't stopped drinking over 15 months ago I would be there. Two years ago I would have jumped at the chance. I loved trying all kinds of brew, my favorites being nut brown ale and quality German/Austrian beer.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Catintheheat wrote:I am moving next month to the place I wanted to move to the first time I saw it. It's just off 7th Avenue in the Midtown Neighborhood (close to Melrose District). The place I'm moving to is lush, like a woods inside an apartment complex (those who know Phoenix will know where I'm talking about). I was on a waiting list for a few months and was lucky a place opened up when it did. The timing was perfect. Now I will live under 1/2 mile from the light rail, and within 3 miles of chase field and Airways Arena, let alone all the other cool stuff downtown. I may not have wanted to come to Phoenix but things are working out after a rough year, with many disappointments.
Good to have you in the neighborhood. You will be really close to me.

There was a fire at the thrifty icecream and Super Star Video Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. used to be able to get ice cream scoops for less than a dollar on Thursdays.

If you want good restaurant recommendations for the area let me know.

Have you been to Harley's yet for Italian? It is very good. My wife and I go there with her dad and brother pretty often. It will be walking distance from you.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Machina wrote: There was a fire at the thrifty icecream...
Chocolate Malted Crunch from Thrifty is very close to my absolute favorite thing to taste on Earth. I'm not exaggerating. It's a very close second to a nice pour glass of Clase Azul Reposado, neat. I don't recommend tasting the two together. The difference in price is also...wide.

All of that hijack said, I only commented because I f'n love Thrifty Ice Cream & your fire post bummed me out.
Machina

Post by Machina »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:
Chocolate Malted Crunch from Thrifty is very close to my absolute favorite thing to taste on Earth. I'm not exaggerating. It's a very close second to a nice pour glass of Clase Azul Reposado, neat. I don't recommend tasting the two together. The difference in price is also...wide.

All of that hijack said, I only commented because I f'n love Thrifty Ice Cream & your fire post bummed me out.
I know, I really hope they rebuild it. I loved walking there with the dog on Thursdays for cheap treats.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Machina wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:

I know, I really hope they rebuild it. I loved walking there with the dog on Thursdays for cheap treats.
Now I'm sorry I missed the chance to go to Thrifty's. I'd walk my dog there. I have an 8 year old Maltese/Poodle mix. He looks like Benji. We have a dog walk inside the gated community. So I'm not sure how often I will walk him down the street. I know there are a lot of mom & pop stores in the area, expecially on 7th Avenue. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to move there. Plus the apartments I will be living in has one of the best reputations in the city.