The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: The Best Dog I Ever Knew

Post by JMarkJohns »

Olsondogg wrote:So the roids appear to be helping...Odogg hanging tough....
My childhood dog, Belle, impaled herself on a branch when I was about 16. She was jumping near the side wall and caught it landing. She was 4. I was devastated. My dad expected to put her down at the vet, but I talked him into doing a few of the offered scans.

The branch went in and out cleanly, never hitting an organ. Never breached the ribs.

Sometimes things work out.

She lived to a happy, healthy 13.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

RIP Odogg

I love you.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn OD. Sounds like he fought the good fight. RIP Olson.

:(
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Sorry Odogg. The pain you feel now correlates with the immense happiness you shared over the years. It sucks as bad as anything, but the hurt is most definitely worth it due to the good times you shared and the memories you'll have forever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

O,

Deepest sympathies. You gave the best possible care,

LH
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

So sorry buddy.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Damn.

I'm sorry.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Wiping away tears, and with omitted names...here's what we posted on social media:

Today, with lumps in our throats and heavy hearts, we said goodbye to our 12 year old beagle, Olson. He first came into our lives as an Xmas gift from my wife (gf at the time), so long ago that she was in nursing school and so broke she couldn't pay for him...so I bought him. Olson was my only roommate at the time, and soon thereafter we moved and our house grew to add more and more beings as time went on. Today, our house couldn't feel more empty.
Olson, thanks for keeping our house safe from the murderous mailmen, the vampire cats and all those rabid door-to-door salesmen. You were a lot like me--OCD...a perpetual puppy...stubborn...somewhat gassy...kinda unfriendly to other dogs...but you filled our house with love and joy...not bad for a obedience school dropout. Hopefully your soul is chasing a cat or barking at 2:30AM somewhere.
Your name is forever engraved on our hearts.
We will miss you.
We love you.

RIP Odogg

After dealing with grief several times in my life, it's never any easier.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

I'm sorry for your loss. I truly feel your pain.
Last edited by ANGCatFan on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The best people I have ever known have been Beagles.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I'm so sorry, Odogg.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That remembrance you wrote is spectacular.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Hope all the dog owners out there stay outta this thread for like ever....
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I have a feeling I might be joining in soon. :( The oldest of my two (Zaphod, age 11) has been limping pretty badly for a couple of weeks and the vet hasn't been able to diagnose. I can't afford the X-Ray and the sedation right now, and I'm really afraid it's going to get worse and I'll have to have him put to sleep. He's been my best friend for the past 9 years. He and his adopted sister who he likes to hump (which is a bit creepy if you ask me) were the two reasons I didn't kill myself during the dark days of the end of the relationship with my ex wife. He is an excellent cuddler if you can get past the breath. He still likes to play, he still likes belly rubs, he still likes to not listen to me... He's my dog, my best friend, and he's in pain. I don't know what's going to happen.

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It sounds like a cliche, but dogs let you know when it's time. Yesterday I had to spend the day at home with my youngest son who had a fever, and Olson played with him like he was a puppy. Took several photos cause it was so cute. We even went on a walk for the first time in a month cause Olson was begging to go. Then that night he couldn't breathe and Olson, I shit you not, walked to my car--which has basically been for trips to the vet.

He held on for us and then let us know when he was ready.

Dogs are what humans should aspire to be. Pure love.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

When it rains it pours.

I'm sorry to hear that. I have seen how dogs heal. I'm glad your dogs were there for you.

The dog my parents got out of empty next syndrome about 13 years ago is holding solid, but is looking like he's wearing down. He was a dog that adopted us. He was a stray puppy my when I was a few months from going to college. He found my mom and she fell in love with his regal, civilized look. They put him in the pound for the week to see if he got claimed. He didn't. So my mom told my dad we were getting him.

We fear he's gone mostly deaf. And now his hips are iffy.

But the Belgian Malinois still hops up to greet you, runs after the other shelter mutt they later got to keep him company. But he's winding down.

My mom anticipates the summer being hard for him, so she's already broached the subject of putting him to sleep if it looks like he's laboring.

Gonna be a pack of Wildcat Dogs running them fields in heaven.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Strangely enough, Zaphod was a dog my ex wife wanted to adopt to save our relationship after I caught her chatting with one of her family friends inappropriately online and sending him nude pictures. I later found out she had been sleeping with him (and about 20 other guys during the ten years we were together starting three days after our first date), and while Zaphod ultimately couldn't save our relationship from her wandering pussy, he saved me from succumbing to the pain of finding out I had been a chump. In the weeks after she took off, I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, and I walked the dogs about ten miles each day. I talked to them. I cuddled them in bed. They were loyal, even though my wife wasn't.

I don't know if I'll ever have a relationship with another person again like I had with my ex. For fuck's sake, I hope not. I haven't been on a first date since 2002, and I don't see much reason to go on one now. I will always have dogs, though. They're loyal. I will never have one quite like Zaphod. He's incredibly special.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hate to think of it even but the dog that my parents got when I was a senior in high school (and took on caring for 3 years ago) is pushing 13 years old now. All out our other dogs lived to 14 or 15 but I hate knowing the end is near. Done it 3 times before though :(
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I think I remember that dog from TOS

JMarkJohns wrote:I am sorry. My heart sinks every time I see this thread bumped.
Same here. I avoid this thread since I get so attached to my dogs and understand what other owners go through.

My wife texted me this afternoon and said one of our dogs might be sick. Then nothing.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

We have 2 days to spoil rotten our 13 1/2 year old pooch....
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

A, I'm really sorry. Take good care of yourselves.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I'm getting caught up on this thread from the past two months.

I am really sorry to hear all of this Odogg, ASUcanfan, and Alieb. Breaks my heart ha ring had to put down my childhood dog 4 years ago.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Sorry to hear that, Ari...having just gone through it, I know how tough it is.

To maybe make some feel better in this thread, 2 of these are ours next month...(we may have lost our minds)

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RIP Skokie

And thanks all for all the kind words.

Odogg... those pups look like trouble! Good luck!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

RIP little buddie.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

What a great dog Skokie must've been Ari. RIP.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Sorry to all who have recently lost their dog. Quick question, how long do you wait until you get a new dog?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Irish27 wrote:Sorry to all who have recently lost their dog. Quick question, how long do you wait until you get a new dog?
We waited about a year.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

When we first found you under our car, huddled from the elements that early May morning, we didn't really know what to think. You were small, scruffy, like the runt of a German Shepherd litter. But you immediately took a shine to us. We kept you for a few days, nursing you back to back to health, waiting to see if any Missing posters would go up in our neighborhood.

We didn't figure you were lost. You had a look more of abandon than missing.

When you took a turn for the better, my dad who hadn't called you by your given name of Chewbacca yet, claimed you were a dog with grit. True Grit. So he started calling you "The Duke" and you responded.

It's been 15 years, Duke. We found out you weren't a runt German Shepherd, but rather a Belgian Malinois. We found out you were a real lover of a dog, as my then 7 year old Golden Lab, Belle found out in a later life trist that scandalized my then 14-YO sister.

And as the years aged, the neighborhood loved you. As my sister had her kids, they loved you. And as Belle passed and she was replaced with a shelter mutt, Rowdy, she, too loved you.

At a lean, svelt 55 pounds, you could jump higher than any dog I ever saw. And Hugh Hefner would have been proud of your youthful antics back in your wild days.

So, as I lifted your once now frail, 42 pound body into the car, out of the car, and onto the table at the humane society, I can't help but remember the early Deep throated grrrrrroooaaars I used to do with you when I tried to make Chewbacca happen. I can't help but remember resenting that my dad made Duke happen instead back in May 2002, the stings of the previous year's Title loss still causing me heaps of dissonance every time I called the name you chose when given the option. I should have yelled Chewbacca louder I guess.

Or maybe you are a dog with Grit? True Grit? Maybe surviving God only knows how long in the streets before choosing us earned you a name John Wayne would be proud of?

Either way, as I said "Good Bye, Duke" one last time, I'll openly admit, I never loved a Duke more than you. Farewell, sweet Prince.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Sorry for your loss my friend. Great story.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

azgreg wrote:Sorry for your loss my friend. Great story.
I just realized if you scroll up I talked about this day almost a year ago. We had taken him in last summer, and the Dr put him on some joint meds. He improved for a while, but this winter was hard. He struggled to walk on smooth surfaces and a few months back refused to go in the house since my folks floors are all smooth tile. He knew. He'd just sit at the back door.

In the last few months his eyes started to fade. He could see objects, but couldn't gauge distance.

It was time.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

That's a tough decision to make, and I feel for you. I did the same to my Golden in 2008, it still makes me tear up thinking about it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Picture my mom just gave Of Duke and Belle, snuggling cheek to cheek, probably after Duke got some... hahaha.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Just saw this discussion. So very sorry to read this stuff.

Our sweetheart Pua left us on July 24th in the evening. Gut wrenching decisions...you all know how difficult it is. Still chokes me up thinking about it, and always will. Wife and I still look for her in the house when we come home, or maybe while looking outside hoping to see her in the patio but..she's gone. The other night I thought she came to me in the bedroom looking to go outside. She didn't. Such a kind spirited creature.

We got her as a rescue in 2010. But in the end, 6 seizures in a 24 hour period. Awful to witness. Emergency visits to the vet, they offered to "house her..for the evening" to stabilize whatever was going on. Vet said a dog that age probably brain tumor", but didn't rule out Valley Fever. (she had it, along with other problems) We chose to bring her home.

Our hearts are heavy now, misty eyed... but we'll always treasure the moments we had with our beautiful girl.

Can't post any pictures, (site limitations).
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Hold on to those memories of that spirited creature and her joy and appreciation of your including her into your family from a life in the pound. Think of the crazy stories. You'll find solace in them.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

My gf and I volunteered to dogsit for her former boss for what was expected to be a week and a half. Seven weeks later, we still have the dog staying with us. Poor thing is super sweet and the lowest maintenance dog I've ever had around.

What kind of fucking horrible person abandons a dog they've had for 10+ years?
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

ASUCatFan wrote:I have a feeling I might be joining in soon. :( The oldest of my two (Zaphod, age 11) has been limping pretty badly for a couple of weeks and the vet hasn't been able to diagnose. I can't afford the X-Ray and the sedation right now, and I'm really afraid it's going to get worse and I'll have to have him put to sleep. He's been my best friend for the past 9 years. He and his adopted sister who he likes to hump (which is a bit creepy if you ask me) were the two reasons I didn't kill myself during the dark days of the end of the relationship with my ex wife. He is an excellent cuddler if you can get past the breath. He still likes to play, he still likes belly rubs, he still likes to not listen to me... He's my dog, my best friend, and he's in pain. I don't know what's going to happen.

Zaphod is still alive and kicking. He has pretty bad arthritis in his right front leg, but I've put him on a diet, he's lost a bunch of weight, and he's doing a lot better.
ANGCatFan

Post by ANGCatFan »

Great to hear! My wife just added a new dog to our family after nearly a year and half since my buddy Sammi passed. Wife came home from work and said a co-worker announced she was fostering the perfect rescue dog, did I want to see a picture? Not necessary, I said, you had me at perfect rescue dog.

Loss hurts, but life is always better with a dog.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

legallykenny wrote:My gf and I volunteered to dogsit for her former boss for what was expected to be a week and a half. Seven weeks later, we still have the dog staying with us. Poor thing is super sweet and the lowest maintenance dog I've ever had around.

What kind of fucking horrible person abandons a dog they've had for 10+ years?

Not a nice guy...
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

A dog I'll never forget was PeeFace. Pee was a scruffy little girl I took on night runs after work for a couple of years. She was a star at the Pound we found her

Pee got her name because she loved to kiss and when she did there was this strong, unmistakable, ahh....odor. I can smell it right now talking about her. A few days after bringing her home two sons and I discussed what to call her. After a spirited roundabout I was able to persuade the guys on PeeFace, but my sons were aghast at the name----at least for awhile.

Pee was my regular running buddy after work. One night on a dark uphill street Pee got hit by a car coming downslope. A thud, no other sound, and Pee was motionless in the middle of the street. I picked her up, took her to the sidewalk lawn strip, layed her and myself on the grass and cried. A woman came out of the house to inquire about the sadness and was kind enough to call my wife to pick us up.

Pee's up there right now paddling through the sky and meeting new friends who don't really care she has this unmistakable, sweet breath when she kisses them. I envy them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Man that sucks EOTC. Did the driver even stop? Condolences
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EOCT wrote:A dog I'll never forget was PeeFace. Pee was a scruffy little girl I took on night runs after work for a couple of years. She was a star at the Pound we found her

Pee got her name because she loved to kiss and when she did there was this strong, unmistakable, ahh....odor. I can smell it right now talking about her. A few days after bringing her home two sons and I discussed what to call her. After a spirited roundabout I was able to persuade the guys on PeeFace, but my sons were aghast at the name----at least for awhile.

Pee was my regular running buddy after work. One night on a dark uphill street Pee got hit by a car coming downslope. A thud, no other sound, and Pee was motionless in the middle of the street. I picked her up, took her to the sidewalk lawn strip, layed her and myself on the grass and cried. A woman came out of the house to inquire about the sadness and was kind enough to call my wife to pick us up.

Pee's up there right now paddling through the sky and meeting new friends who don't really care she has this unmistakable, sweet breath when she kisses them. I envy them.

Sad moments EOCT. Some memories are tougher on us. This is one of them.

Have you thought about rescuing again. I find myself looking at adoptions pictures
of animals...maybe hoping to find another kind soul to connect with.. The wife just said she's not ready yet. I get it.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

You guys might enjoy this story. (Megan and Rex)

Megan Leavey (2017)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4899370/" target="_blank
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

azcat49 wrote:Man that sucks EOTC. Did the driver even stop? Condolences

Thanks azcat49. The driver did stop and felt awful. Pee was a zigzaggy runner and I told her Pee and I were the responsible ones.

HiCat, your idea on another Pound dog. Great. We've always had Pound dogs. I'm currently negotiating with Dianne on a couple of Big Dog ideas. First was a Great Dane(we had one for his whole life---name Thurber(yes, after the author) and loved him. Dianne said, "please no, not good for our small condominium", so now I'm working on the idea of adopting a retired greyhound.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:Hold on to those memories of that spirited creature and her joy and appreciation of your including her into your family from a life in the pound. Think of the crazy stories. You'll find solace in them.

The family decided to create a photo album of Pua, 3 of them larger for framing. Memories of her are all around us now.. pictures of happier times. Nothing will replace her in our home or in our hearts. She was a such a gentle kind spirited soul..we miss her dearly.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

HiCat wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:Hold on to those memories of that spirited creature and her joy and appreciation of your including her into your family from a life in the pound. Think of the crazy stories. You'll find solace in them.

The family decided to create a photo album of Pua, 3 of them larger for framing. Memories of her are all around us now.. pictures of happier times. Nothing will replace her in our home or in our hearts. She was a such a gentle kind spirited soul..we miss her dearly.
Wonderful idea Hi and JMJ. It's a great idea for the whole fam. We've got pics of our 4 Sons and the Grandkids all over, and with pics of our family dogs mixed in. When our Sons and kids visit they always linger at the their buddy's pics. The loving memories.

RIP Pua, Belle, Duke, Skokie, Olson, Zaphod, PeeFace...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

So, not a dog, but my wife and I are in the process of losing one of our two cats. His kidneys are failing, and the process has accelerated heavily lately. He's 16 and 1/2, so it is not odd, but it is hard coming to grips with the idea that he's slipping away.

I had both cats and dogs growing up. I was always taught they were part of the family, just in a different way from the human children. When I met my wife, she had two cats that had been only cats for 4 years, so we never wanted to upset the balance they had.

Right now, we're stuck in a place where I'd do anything to change the kidney progression and there's nothing we can do. We got a bad blood test result today..We're already managing the symptoms with meds and fluids, but the acceleration of the underlying disease. Each new blood test is a kick in the gut, and it's hardest knowing there's nothing that will help with the pain at the end.

So, for what it's worth, my heart goes out to everyone in this thread that's given special love and caring to a pet. Our guy loves to snuggle, and it breaks my heart that we'll lose the cat snuggling forever soon. Giving a pet a loving home is a special thing, and thanks to everyone here who does it.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

My heart breaks every time I see this thread and it doesn’t matter what is lost, only that there is loss. Aging/sickly pets is hard. Maybe the hardest. You want to save them. You want to spend whatever it takes. But you also know Pets are always for short-term. Snuggle and enjoy the times you have left.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

JMarkJohns wrote:My heart breaks every time I see this thread and it doesn’t matter what is lost, only that there is loss. Aging/sickly pets is hard. Maybe the hardest. You want to save them. You want to spend whatever it takes. But you also know Pets are always for short-term. Snuggle and enjoy the times you have left.
We've spent plenty on making sure the end of his life is as happy as the rest has been. We're definitely committed to treasuring all the time we have. It's a blessing.

There are days other than today it'll be easier to see the blessing, but that's the price of caring. For everyone in this community with a pet they love and have loved, I appreciate your own stories and commitment to them. It's a wonderful thing and it's inspiring (and heartbreaking at the same time) to see all the stories in here.

Thank you guys.