Pea soup and pancakes
scumdevils86

Re: Dinner Tonight

Post by scumdevils86 »

Btw what kind of sardines did you use?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

scumdevils86 wrote:Btw what kind of sardines did you use?
I got the canned ones from Trader Joe's. I thought they were really good.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chubby Chicken & Cream Cheese Taquitos

Flour tortillas rolled with a shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar, salsa and spinach filling.

Delicious
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gumby

Post by gumby »

I like to keep up on current events. So, haggis.

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As lang's my arm

-- Burns
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'd love to have haggis for dinner. It's been banned in the U.S. since 1971, due to sheep's lung content. I'm not buying these new-fangled lung-free haggis options being hawked around the office.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Food truck Sonoran hot dog and eegee's at a high school football game.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Crock pot chicken korma
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Oven baked chicken and corn on the cob.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Son't GF brought over some home made ravioli with a pesto sauce.

It was very good, and more important it was most appreciated since tonight is my night to cook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She sounds like a keeper.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:Chubby Chicken & Cream Cheese Taquitos

Flour tortillas rolled with a shredded chicken, cream cheese, cheddar, salsa and spinach filling.

Delicious
Spinach? That actually sounds really good. Do you just chop frozen spinach? (Never thought like I would sound like a little old lady, ever) but that does sound delicious.

But it would have to be warmed corn tortillas. Just can't eat the flour unless wrapped in a burrito grande.

Chicat wrote:She sounds like a keeper.

She is, we love her, and my daughter does too as a sister she never had.

However, she is a very strong Christian while my son is most Buddhist, and that's for another thread.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote:Son't GF brought over some home made ravioli with a pesto sauce.

It was very good, and more important it was most appreciated since tonight is my night to cook.
Home made ravioli is da bomb. I learned a recipe off one of the Wildflower chefs a few years back (while volunteering at the community kitchen in Tuc) and have adapted it for lobster with a butter-garlic sauce. It's amazing.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Homemade ravioli is a pain in the ass. For the maker, not the partakers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
Chicat wrote:Chubby Chicken & Cream Cheese Taquitos

Delicious
Spinach? That actually sounds really good. Do you just chop frozen spinach? (Never thought like I would sound like a little old lady, ever) but that does sound delicious.

But it would have to be warmed corn tortillas. Just can't eat the flour unless wrapped in a burrito grande.
We baked instead of deep frying, so I'm not sure how corn tortillas would come out of the oven.

It's great. You can add more cheese/sour cream/cream cheese to make it more creamy or cut it back to feature the chicken more prominently.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Longhorned wrote:Homemade ravioli is a pain in the ass. For the maker, not the partakers.
Right, but it can make some really great memories for friends and family - it's totally worth the effort!!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Myrtle Beach dining is nothing but farm trough slop.

I'm just happy I didn't get sick of the hotel hamburger I ate last night in advance of a conference that I am in attendance at and speaking to tomorrow.

As an aside: yesterday was national cheeseburger day!
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Going out for Rijstaffel tonight
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beans and wieners last night.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Black bean enchiladas
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm soaking some flageolet beans to get ready to cook them and prepare them with butter, sage, chanterelles, cream, and prosciutto, and grating parmigiano reggiano over them and serving them in bowls over farro. I doubt it will be a failure.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tonight: Canadian porridge

Cornmeal porridge with butter, maple syrup, and bacon.

In Canada, they call it "American porridge." Though many would argue that, outside my own home, it doesn't exist. Certainly nobody has heard of it.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicken, Quinoa, and Green-Olive Stew
gumby

Post by gumby »

Free range chicken, privileges revoked and dragged to a pen. Force-fed with a gavage. Then I used a packet of Foie Gras Helper.

Popsicle for dessert.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Foie Gras Helper,
When your goose in the can!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Dave Barry post for cooking dinner tonight:

Cooking was invented in prehistoric times, when a primitive tribe had a lucky accident. The tribe had killed an animal and was going to eat it raw, when a tribe member named Woog tripped and dropped it into the fire. At first, the other tribe members were angry at Woog, but then, as the aroma of burning meat filled the air, they had an idea. So they ate Woog raw.

Yes, cooking can be hazardous. I learned this lesson from a dramatic true incident that occurred in my childhood. My family was at home, waiting for company to arrive; my mom was cooking one of her specialties, creamed chipped beef, in a double boiler. There was a knock at the door, and we all went to the living room to greet our company, which was fortunate because at exactly the instant we opened the door, the double boiler exploded violently, sending what seemed like thousands of gallons of creamed chipped beef flying in all directions with tremendous force. I believe that if there are intelligent beings elsewhere in the universe, one day their astronomers will detect traces of this particular entree spreading out across the cosmos at nearly the speed of light, and they will, by extrapolating backward, calculate that a cataclysmic Big Beef Bang took place on Earth in 1958.

The point is that, as a safety precaution, you should never cook anything, including toast, without wearing a welding helmet. Also, you should choose a recipe that is appropriate for the individuals who will be eating it. For example, you do not need to make an elaborate dish if the individuals are dogs. A dog will eat pretty much anything; one major reason why there are no restaurants for dogs is that the customers would eat the menus. So a dog will happily eat the same recipe forever. You can feed a dog ''kibble,'' which is actually compressed dirt, every single day for 13 years, and the dog will consider you to be the greatest cook in world history. It will lick the ground you walk on.

The situation is similar with guys. Guys generally like to find a recipe that works for them and stick with it. For example, I know a sportswriter named Bob who, to my knowledge, has never in his life cooked anything except Stouffer's frozen French bread pizza. This is all he has in his freezer. If he hosted a Thanksgiving dinner, he'd serve a large Stouffer's French bread pizza, stuffed with smaller Stouffer's French bread pizzas. At the Stouffer's factory, they probably have a whole department devoted exclusively to Bob, called ''The Department of Bob,'' which monitors Bob's pizza consumption and has a fleet of loaded resupply trucks ready to roll when he runs low.

If you're not cooking for guys or dogs, you should use a more elaborate ''gourmet'' type of recipe, which you can find in magazines such as Bon Appetit (literal translation: ``Chow Down''). The problem here is that the people who are creating these recipes are also snorking down cooking wine by the gallon, and after a while they start making up words. Take ``fennel.''

There is no such thing as ''fennel,'' yet many of your gourmet recipes call for it. Other examples of imaginary ingredients are ''shallots,'' ''capers'' and ''arugula.'' So what frequently happens when you try to make a gourmet recipe is, you're progressing briskly through the steps, and suddenly you come across an instruction that the gourmet chef obviously dreamed up moments before passing out facedown in the bearnaise sauce, such as, ``Carmelize eight minced hamouti kleebers into a reduction of blanched free-range whelk corneas.''

Thus, to be a successful cook, you need to learn how to adapt gourmet recipes to the ''real world'' by making substitutions. For example, recently I was looking through the December issue of Bon Appetit, and I found a recipe called ''Sweet Potato Soup with Lobster and Orange Creme Fraiche.'' I was very interested in making this recipe; the problem was that some of the ingredients, such as ''leeks,'' were obviously imaginary, whereas others, such as lobster, were members of the cockroach family. No problem! I simply looked around my kitchen for appropriate substitute ingredients, and I was able to adapt the Bon Appetit recipe to meet my specific needs, as follows:

SWEET POTATO SOUP WITH LOBSTER AND ORANGE CREME FRAICHE

1. In a medium room, remove wrappers from eight miniature Three Musketeers bars left over from Halloween.

2. Eat bars.

3. Feed wrappers to dog.

With a little ingenuity, you can achieve results very much like this in your own kitchen. I bet that when word of your culinary prowess gets around, people will be flocking to your door! Let's hope they're bringing pizza.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-c ... 27688.html
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

My wife has started the Atkins diet and my 2 sons (ages 14 and 17) rarely like the same thing. It has made cooking at my house a pain in the fucking ass.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:My wife has started the Atkins diet and my 2 sons (ages 14 and 17) rarely like the same thing. It has made cooking at my house a pain in the fucking ass.
If you want to win this argument, just tell your family doctor that she started the Atkins diet. He'll take care of the rest.

As to the sons, grab two pieces of paper and two pens, and have them sit down and write out an exhaustive list of all of the things they don't like and would prefer not to eat. When they hand you back the sheets of paper, look at the lists, then look at them, and say, "You know what? Get the hell out of this house."
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:My wife has started the Atkins diet and my 2 sons (ages 14 and 17) rarely like the same thing. It has made cooking at my house a pain in the fucking ass.
Daughter is super picky. She really can't help it. She now feeds herself. Been bliss since we came to that arrangement.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

gumby wrote:
Daughter is super picky. She really can't help it. She now feeds herself. Been bliss since we came to that arrangement.
If I did that it would be all Ramen and cereal.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Those are two of her staples. She's happy and healthy. I'm not aggravated.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I guess that, legally speaking, all a parent has to do is provide the food. No court can hold that the parent must force the under-18 child to eat the food. I also wonder whether this "complete nutrition for growing bodies" stuff isn't a little overblown. A growing body can recover from a diet of compressed preservatives, solid trans fat cubes, and sugar water better and faster than a middle aged man can. It's the parents who need the vitamins and minerals and roughage.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I worried a lot when she was younger. Pediatrician was less concerned. "She won't starve." And she hasn't. Once it was obvious that it wasn't bulimia or anorexia, I relaxed about it. Gets her fruits and veggies in drinks.
Her weight is within the healthy range for her height. Rarely gets sick.

Just has this super sensitivity to textures of food. Has it somewhat with tactile things, too. The teachers in her gifted program said a lot of the kids are that way. As she's aged, she's added things.

Hardest part was getting grandparents and others on board.

Have horrible memories of my mom forcing my sisters to eat stuff they didn't like. (I ate everything). The psychological damage isn't worth it.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:I worried a lot when she was younger. Pediatrician was less concerned. "She won't starve." And she hasn't. Once it was obvious that it wasn't bulimia or anorexia, I relaxed about it. Gets her fruits and veggies in drinks.

Just has this super sensitivity to textures of food. Has it somewhat with tactile things, too. The teachers in her gifted program said a lot of the kids are that way. As she's aged, she's added things.

Have horrible memories of my mom forcing my sisters to eat stuff they didn't like. (I ate everything). The psychological damage isn't worth it.
Reminds me of sensory integration issues, which I think is noble in an individual. Does she especially enjoy books? Not like being hugged by just anyone? Rather have already brushed her teeth than to have to face the feel of bristles on gums?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Grilled steaks with a kale/quinoa/avocado/mango salad.

Delicious

And yet totally unsatisfying. I need some fucking carbs!
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

You can eat anything if you have enough Worcestershire Sauce.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Grilled steaks with a kale/quinoa/avocado/mango salad.

Delicious

And yet totally unsatisfying. I need some fucking carbs!
I was gonna say. Need some french fries with that steak.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Been in the kitchen all day today.

Apples and honey, Brisket, Roasted Potatoes, Matzah Ball soup, and lots of wine.

I have officially been nominated for Atheist Jew of the Year.

Happy New Year to all the M.O.T.'s out there.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

KaibabKat wrote:You can eat anything if you have enough Worcestershire Sauce.
I believe this to be true. Some say mustard, but that's to cover up bad tasting food. Worcestershire sauce makes food soar.

I like to roast up some duck and serve with a Worcestershire sauce/orange marmalade mixture, along with some mashed potatoes and peas. Way better than "duck a l'orange" or whatever you foo foo people eat.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:Been in the kitchen all day today.

Apples and honey, Brisket, Roasted Potatoes, Matzah Ball soup, and lots of wine.

I have officially been nominated for Atheist Jew of the Year.

Happy New Year to all the M.O.T.'s out there.
Mazel tov! Nothing like a holiday with food. That's what religion is all about.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaghetti with a basic meat sauce.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:Spaghetti with a basic meat sauce.
What's basic meat sauce?

I made spaghetti with meatballs tonight.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
I believe this to be true. Some say mustard, but that's to cover up bad tasting food. Worcestershire sauce makes food soar.

I like to roast up some duck and serve with a Worcestershire sauce/orange marmalade mixture, along with some mashed potatoes and peas. Way better than "duck a l'orange" or whatever you foo foo people eat.
I season my steaks with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. And that's it. They're fucking great too.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:Spaghetti with a basic meat sauce.
What's basic meat sauce?

I made spaghetti with meatballs tonight.
Just a tomato sauce with ground beef.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

I season my steaks with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. And that's it. They're fucking great too.

Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, sugar. Dry rub on the tri-tip tonight.

However, I have been known to marinate steaks and chicken in a cheap Italian dressing from the 99c store.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:
gumby wrote:I worried a lot when she was younger. Pediatrician was less concerned. "She won't starve." And she hasn't. Once it was obvious that it wasn't bulimia or anorexia, I relaxed about it. Gets her fruits and veggies in drinks.

Reminds me of sensory integration issues, which I think is noble in an individual. Does she especially enjoy books? Not like being hugged by just anyone? Rather have already brushed her teeth than to have to face the feel of bristles on gums?
She's crazy about books. Hates tickling or massaging. Certain fabrics bug her, but not as much as they used to.

Had Madras Lentil last night over basmati rice. Surprising good for a quick heat and eat. Like veggie chili.

http://www.tastybite.com/products/madras-lentils/

Bought it at Costco. Paired it with naan. Definitely in the rotation now.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Longhorned wrote:

She's crazy about books. Hates tickling or massaging. Certain fabrics bug her, but not as much as they used to.

Had Madras Lentil last night over basmati rice. Surprising good for a quick heat and eat. Like veggie chili.

http://www.tastybite.com/products/madras-lentils/

Bought it at Costco. Paired it with naan. Definitely in the rotation now.
I followed your click bait. Was disappointed not to find MSG in the list of ingredients. I have a shaker full of the stuff, so I can still add it.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Crock-Pot Chile Verde with roasted hatch green chile and pork shoulder!!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Coop Cat wrote:Crock-Pot Chile Verde with roasted hatch green chile and pork shoulder!!
i made this once in my le creuset (roasted my own chiles and garlic and made my tomatillo sauce from scratch etc) and I was quite pleased with myself. it was one of the better things i ever made. normally i don't attempt to make Mexican food at home other than your basic enchiladas etc because i'm afraid it won't live up to my ridiculously high standards for Mexican food.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody do a slow cooker stew?