Exercise

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

Exercise

Post by Longhorned »

What do you do for exercise?

I need to figure out an alternative to bicycling on the coming snow days. I'm seriously considering this:

Daryl Zero

Re: Exercise

Post by Daryl Zero »

I play tennis. I do a bit of bodyweight strengthening exercise and probably have to pick that up.

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

More your speed I'm sure:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Does anybody like going to the gym? I'd rather eat at Arby's than face that scene.

I like "accidental exercise."
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I hate the gym. It's bike riding, hiking, and body weight work at the house for me.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bicycling ... stationary in the winter. Haven't run much since blowing out my Achilles. Ended my basketball playing, too.

Swimming would be good if it weren't for the swimming part. Can't watch TV or read while doing that. Plus, I'd have to join a gym. Yet again.

I should do something with weights, like lift them. But I lost the instructions.

Do chores count? Seems they should since I'm tired afterwards.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Had a gym membership once. Didn't really like it. Does going to the fridge for beer count? I hate running but enjoy stationary cycling sometimes. I'm trying to lose weight but am mostly just working on my diet and not paying attention to exercise yet
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Had a gym membership once. Didn't really like it. Does going to the fridge for beer count? I hate running but enjoy stationary cycling sometimes. I'm trying to lose weight but am mostly just working on my diet and not paying attention to exercise yet
12 oz. regressive curls for the win.
sf25

Post by sf25 »

Running. Usually 2-3 miles per workout on a trail or track. About as boring as it gets, but has kept excess weight off of me the last 4 years.

Certainly not the solution for snow days (in reference to the original thread post). :x
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

sf25 wrote:Running. Usually 2-3 miles per workout on a trail or track. About as boring as it gets, but has kept excess weight off of me the last 4 years.

Certainly not the solution for snow days (in reference to the original thread post). :x
That's what I like to do. I was running 4 miles/day until my knee started acting up. I now spend time at the local gym on the treadmill. What's cool is the treadmill has a built-in television on the monitor with about 15 channels. Not great but I am able to watch ESPN. I've been running about 5k. I would like to get to 10k and run in a competition in February. 10k (about 6 miles) is doable if my 55 year old bones hold out.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Thought about replacing the recliner in the living room with a stationary bike but hiking, biking, tennis, basketball, golf, and swimming get the job done
Salty

Post by Salty »

I go to the gym everyday. I enjoy challenging myself.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:
Do chores count? Seems they should since I'm tired afterwards.
I think so. They say walking counts. Chores are more rigorous than walking. On days when I mow the lawn, I don't ride my bike because I don't have stamina or time for both.
scumdevils86 wrote:Had a gym membership once. Didn't really like it. Does going to the fridge for beer count? I hate running but enjoy stationary cycling sometimes. I'm trying to lose weight but am mostly just working on my diet and not paying attention to exercise yet
Diet without exercise is the most effective way to lose weight as long as your goals are short-term. Google it and ask around, but don't ask a doctor because they have to say all kinds of things they don't believe or practice themselves. When you exercise, eating becomes hard to manage because you're so hungry, and it's common to overeat. The problem with diet without exercise is that it's short term; the metabolism lowers to keep and make more body fat with fewer calories. You end up hungry and it's just your body's way of tricking you into eating so it can make fat.

Make sure you've had a lipid panel done recently to make sure, but if you tested fine, you're probably okay (though not optimal) without exercise. But when you hit around 35, all of the sudden your cell phone rings and it's the doctor's office droning on about your LDL and triglyceride counts. That's when we need to have a good diet and exercise to avoid going on statins for the rest of our lives. Since you know how to cook, you're already ahead of the game. When people don't cook, they have to integrate more of the "healthier lifestyle choice" prepared foods, which is depressing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I was going to the gym until I started training for El Tour. A personal trainer helped me stay on track. I will be restarting in Jan. Love the 30 minute all out workout.

I have been riding 100+ miles every week including a lot of hills. Synder hill and then the Kolb loop up by Ventana Canyon for the win.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat wrote:I was going to the gym until I started training for El Tour. A personal trainer helped me stay on track. I will be restarting in Jan. Love the 30 minute all out workout.

I have been riding 100+ miles every week including a lot of hills. Synder hill and then the Kolb loop up by Ventana Canyon for the win.
Ever ride up Mt Lemmon?
Last edited by azgreg on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Ever ride up Mt Lemon?
Mt. Lemmon too?

Gato is a serious bike rider.

I used to play a lot of basketball, but at 45 my body could not do it anymore. Switched to racquetball, but haven't played in a year or so since I tore my labrum.

Now I just walk the dog every day until I can get my shoulder fixed.

This is our route, she loves being set free in the park.

Last edited by Merkin on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote:
84Cat wrote:I was going to the gym until I started training for El Tour. A personal trainer helped me stay on track. I will be restarting in Jan. Love the 30 minute all out workout.

Ever ride up Mt Lemon?
Only up to Molino Basin. Our coach(Team JDRF) says I could make to the top. I hope to do that this spring.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

FTR I wasn't joking. I think I will start Norwegian folk dancing for my snow day exercise. And I wanted you all to know that. I don't know why.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

84Cat wrote: Only up to Molino Basin. Our coach(Team JDRF) says I could make to the top. I hope to do that this spring.
Lance Armstrong used to spend several winters up at Mt. Lemmon.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Salty wrote:I go to the gym everyday. I enjoy challenging myself.
Got that parallel parking down?
Right where I want to be.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

I think you burn more calories exorcising than exercising.

Maybe that's a Jesuitical observation, but I'm looking for some demons.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I bike, swim and do the elliptical. I also lift weights but not heavy ones anymore. I also have the Total Gym and really enjoy working out on it.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I really want to exercise more and lose my gut, but I'm always getting distracted. I do walk my dogs a couple miles a day when I am in town
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Longhorned wrote:What do you do for exercise?

I need to figure out an alternative to bicycling on the coming snow days. I'm seriously considering this:

Pales in comparison to the Tirolean version: