Gluten

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAdevil

Gluten

Post by UAdevil »

http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-s ... z3O7VIXrKx

Researchers Who Provided Key Evidence For Gluten Sensitivity Have Now Thoroughly Shown That It Doesn't Exist

In one of the best examples of science working, a researcher who provided key evidence of (non-celiac disease) gluten sensitivity recently published follow-up papers that show the opposite.

The first follow-up paper came out last year in the journal Gastroenterology. Here's the backstory that makes us cheer:

The study was a follow up on a 2011 experiment in the lab of Peter Gibson at Monash University. The scientifically sound — but small — study found that gluten-containing diets can cause gastrointestinal distress in people without celiac disease, a well-known autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten.

They called this non-celiac gluten sensitivity.

Gluten is a protein composite found in wheat, barley, and other grains. It gives bread its chewiness and is often used as a meat substitute. If you've ever had "wheat meat," seitan, or mock duck at a Thai restaurant, that's gluten.

Gluten is a big industry: 30% of people want to eat less gluten. Sales of gluten-free products are estimated to hit $15 billion by 2016.

Although experts estimate that only 1% of Americans — about 3 million people — suffer from celiac disease, 18% of adults now buy gluten-free foods.

Since gluten is a protein found in any normal diet, Gibson was unsatisfied with his finding. He wanted to find out why the gluten seemed to be causing this reaction and if there could be something else going on. He therefore went to a scientifically rigorous extreme for his next experiment, a level not usually expected in nutrition studies.

For a follow-up paper, 37 self-identified gluten-sensitive patients were tested. According to Real Clear Science's Newton Blog, here's how the experiment went:

Subjects would be provided with every single meal for the duration of the trial. Any and all potential dietary triggers for gastrointestinal symptoms would be removed, including lactose (from milk products), certain preservatives like benzoates, propionate, sulfites, and nitrites, and fermentable, poorly absorbed short-chain carbohydrates, also known as FODMAPs. And last, but not least, nine days worth of urine and fecal matter would be collected. With this new study, Gibson wasn't messing around.

The subjects cycled through high-gluten, low-gluten, and no-gluten (placebo) diets, without knowing which diet plan they were on at any given time. In the end, all of the treatment diets — even the placebo diet — caused pain, bloating, nausea, and gas to a similar degree. It didn't matter if the diet contained gluten. (Read more about the study.)

"In contrast to our first study … we could find absolutely no specific response to gluten," Gibson wrote in the paper. A third, larger study published this month has confirmed the findings.

It seems to be a "nocebo" effect — the self-diagnosed gluten sensitive patients expected to feel worse on the study diets, so they did. They were also likely more attentive to their intestinal distress, since they had to monitor it for the study.

On top of that, these other potential dietary triggers — specifically the FODMAPS – could be causing what people have wrongly interpreted as gluten sensitivity. FODMAPS are frequently found in the same foods as gluten. That still doesn't explain why people in the study negatively reacted to diets that were free of all dietary triggers.

You can go ahead and smell your bread and eat it too. Science. It works.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/gluten-s ... z3O9uqYbAw
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
ASUHATER!

Re: Gluten

Post by ASUHATER! »

The gluten free food industry will be in an uproar
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My favorite line from that article:
In more than a dozen cases in the new study, individuals who complained of bloating were in fact wearing undersized trousers.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I feel better for not eating much gluten but I'm not strong enough to stay away from pizza and beer when they are near me
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Alieberman wrote:I feel better for not eating much gluten but I'm not strong enough to stay away from pizza and beer when they are near me
You need to eat more gluten to gain your strength to stay away from gluten.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I don't really care what any study says, I've had enough tests and diet changes to know what keeps me from getting severely sick. Even if it's right and it's just some placebo effect, celiac disease does run in my family and I'd rather not risk doing permanent damage to my body.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

It specifically says that NON-CELIAC gluten sensitivity does not appear to exist. Celiac disease itself is still very much a real thing.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

My sister the Registered Dietician very smugly posted that article to my other sister's (Nurse Practitioner who was insistent that Non-Celiac gluten intolerance was a real thing) Facebook wall. All of this Gluten Free stuff has gotten pretty ridiculous.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bruins01 wrote:It specifically says that NON-CELIAC gluten sensitivity does not appear to exist. Celiac disease itself is still very much a real thing.
No one argued that...it's just the 99% of people that buy gluten free products don't need to. Most people do because it was a fad and to fit in.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Bruins01 wrote:It specifically says that NON-CELIAC gluten sensitivity does not appear to exist. Celiac disease itself is still very much a real thing.
No one argued that...it's just the 99% of people that buy gluten free products don't need to. Most people do because it was a fad and to fit in.
I certainly don't try to eat gluten free to fit in. I Do it because I generally feel better if I do but it is constantly a pain in the ass to always have to look for a gluten free meal
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

I think the study is flawed, although I hope the hypothesis is correct!

Here is why: it is notoriously hard to disprove a negative. In this case, the study identified self-diagnosed sufferers of gluten sensitivity. Now whether gluten sensitivity is real or not, people that self diagnose themselves of things may very well be hypochondriacs to some extent. Then your study showed that all of those people still had issues after eating gluten free diets. Well, if ALL of your test subjects had the exact same positive result for all diets, it is really hard to claim that any of the diets had an impact different from the other.

So, that result only shows that any possible actual gluten sensitivity could have been real, while the symptoms shown while eating gluten-free diets were obscured by hypochondria. I am sure the researchers were hoping for different results, because an all positive result doesn't support any hypothesis other than that we are all very much mentally in control of the way we feel...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Brilliant marketing scheme. $15B dollar industry created by smoke and mirrors for 99.5% of their client base.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

the real dill wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
Brilliant marketing scheme. $15B dollar industry created by smoke and mirrors for 99.5% of their client base.
that's what I'm saying. I shoulda invested in gluten free crap and 9 dollar loaves of fake bread in 2004.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Coulda just invested in Whole Foods and done as well.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

scumdevils86 wrote:
the real dill wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
that's what I'm saying. I shoulda invested in gluten free crap and 9 dollar loaves of fake bread in 2004.
I've know this since 2006, when a leading GI doc and researcher at my med school said during lecture and I quite "this gluten free movement for the vast majority of people is bullshit."

The fact that he could use such frank language indicates his stature.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I frankly call out bullshit all the time, and I have absolutely no stature whatsoever.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:I frankly call out bullshit all the time, and I have absolutely no stature whatsoever.
you routinely use the word bullshit during lecture? Lol
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I frankly call out bullshit all the time, and I have absolutely no stature whatsoever.
you routinely use the word bullshit during lecture? Lol
The worst was yesterday when I tried to troll them about the Iowa game in progress, and it backfired.