High school field trips

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

High school field trips

Post by azgreg »

My oldest is going on a high school field trip to Universal Studios. They leave at midnight tonight, bus all morning, all day at Universal, then drive home tomorrow night. The school is picking up the tab on everything but breakfast tomorrow and spending money. This is a reward trip for the kids with good grades and good behavior marks. Some of you might remember that my son has Asperger's and is in a school for kids with behavior issues. I'm so excited for him.
BearDown89

Re: High school field trips

Post by BearDown89 »

Awesome Greg. I bet he has a blast. That's one helluva field trip. Enjoy the proud moment . . .
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:My oldest is going on a high school field trip to Universal Studios. They leave at midnight tonight, bus all morning, all day at Universal, then drive home tomorrow night. The school is picking up the tab on everything but breakfast tomorrow and spending money. This is a reward trip for the kids with good grades and good behavior marks. Some of you might remember that my son has Asperger's and is in a school for kids with behavior issues. I'm so excited for him.
That's great for your son. I'm happy for him, too.

That aside, this is one of those moments where we can recognize where we are in our life as old people. Can you imagine somebody suggesting that you spend the next two nights on a bus and all day at a theme park in the time between? What about comfort? I want comfort. I'm so oooold. I need comfort.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:
azgreg wrote:My oldest is going on a high school field trip to Universal Studios. They leave at midnight tonight, bus all morning, all day at Universal, then drive home tomorrow night. The school is picking up the tab on everything but breakfast tomorrow and spending money. This is a reward trip for the kids with good grades and good behavior marks. Some of you might remember that my son has Asperger's and is in a school for kids with behavior issues. I'm so excited for him.
That's great for your son. I'm happy for him, too.

That aside, this is one of those moments where we can recognize where we are in our life as old people. Can you imagine somebody suggesting that you spend the next two nights on a bus and all day at a theme park in the time between? What about comfort? I want comfort. I'm so oooold. I need comfort.
When me and the wife were dating we did the red eye to Disneyland quit often. The bus would leave El Con Mall at midnight and get to the park about 8 AM.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very cool. Well done dad!

On a side note, anyone besides me miss the old Universal Studios when it was a real studio and not rides? Take the tram and see the old Munsters' house, and the house from Leave it to Beaver and so on.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Merkin wrote:Very cool. Well done dad!

On a side note, anyone besides me miss the old Universal Studios when it was a real studio and not rides? Take the tram and see the old Munsters' house, and the house from Leave it to Beaver and so on.
I actually had no idea it wasn't that way anymore. The only ride I remember was the tram. There were the sets and studios and you even got to see how movies and shows were made.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:

I actually had no idea it wasn't that way anymore. The only ride I remember was the tram. There were the sets and studios and you even got to see how movies and shows were made.
Did it include casting couch sessions?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:

When I was a kid we saw Gary Coleman on set when we were on the tram. My mom pointed him out to me but I had no idea who Gary Coleman was so I didn't know where to look. Had she said, "Arnold from Different Strokes. You know, 'whatchu talkin' bout Willis'?" I would have known right away. She stole that moment from me and I'll never forgive her.

But on a related topic, I just went to our parents meeting for my oldest boy's first summer day camp yesterday. Lots and lots of field trips. And they do way more cool shit than I ever did. They get to go to fucking space camp for a day. When I was in day camp they gave me a dirty peanut butter sandwich on white bread, a half-melted popsicle, a pat on the head, and I was told to go play in a park for 4 hours.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:When I was in day camp they gave me a dirty peanut butter sandwich on white bread, a half-melted popsicle, a pat on the head, and I was told to go play in a park for 4 hours.
Yeah man, but it was still fucking awesome.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

cool stuff. last time i was at universal in l.a. was with sd86 in like 1995 or 1996 when we were 10. no idea what it's like now but then i remember there being 4-5 rides (mainly the newly opened jurassic park ride..we were there around veterans day and it was like 50 degrees and raining and there were about 10 people in the entire park) and the tram studio tour. got to see the jaws shark, the square and clock tower from back to the future, etc..
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

That's awesome! I hope he has a great time.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The only field trip I ever took in high school was to Palo Verde nuclear power plant.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Longhorned wrote:The only field trip I ever took in high school was to Palo Verde nuclear power plant.
Wow. That was an actual sleep post. I've had a few.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You guys should have seen these kids last night as they boarded the bus, the excitement on their faces was priceless.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:You guys should have seen these kids last night as they boarded the bus, the excitement on their faces was priceless.
Awesome! Thanks for passing it on.