Summer vacation

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Irish27

Summer vacation

Post by Irish27 »

I was wondering if anyone is going any where this July or August for summer vacation?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Alieberman

Re: Summer vacation

Post by Alieberman »

Road trip through California from Ventura to Santa Barbara, Monterrey, and SF and then to Lake Tahoe for several days before the long trip back to Tucson.

Can't wait!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Going to Woods Canyon lake next weekend for a little camping and trout fishing then to Tucson the following weekend for my wife's 30 year high school reunion at La Paloma.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Was in Bisbee last weekend. Going to Greer for my fiances bday at the end of July. I'm not a huge summer vacation person. Too hot and expensive everywhere. I take most vacations in February or September/October
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:Road trip through California from Ventura to Santa Barbara, Monterrey, and SF and then to Lake Tahoe for several days before the long trip back to Tucson.

Can't wait!
Done that drive before. Drove from Santa Barbara to Monterey to Tahoe. Great drive.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I was in Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona. It was great.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I went to Tucson for a June wedding. Again.
Alieberman wrote:Road trip through California from Ventura to Santa Barbara, Monterrey, and SF and then to Lake Tahoe for several days before the long trip back to Tucson.

Can't wait!

No doubt the Monterey Aquarium is on your list, but make sure you hit the other "sunny" side of the peninsula and go to Santa Cruz. The Boardwalk is great since you don't have to pay to go in, unlike most theme parks, and it's very cool to walk around and your kids can go on the rides. They do have concerts on the beach at night too. Redwoods are very close, and bet your kids would like the Mystery Spot. Santa Cruz was my favorite vacation spot when my kids were younger.

The Aquarium is cool, but very crowded, and full of strollers. Very annoying since it's difficult to get around.

Not sure how familiar you are with Cali, but it gets quite chilly at night, so make sure to dress in layers.

Your GPS will want you to take the 154 through the Santa Ynez valley, so if you do make sure to stop in the little Danish village of Solvang just to get some ableskivers. Forgot the place, but it has a walk up window.

Hearst Castle off the 1 near San Simeon is very cool for adults, but a lot of walking for those with little legs and not all that interesting. I love going though.

If you take the 1 up, make sure to expect a leisurely drive. Lots of RVs and tough to pass them. Beautiful drive though, especially up around Big Sur.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:I went to Tucson for a June wedding. Again.
Reminds me that my wife is heading to Broken Arrow, OK for her nephew's wedding this weekend.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:I went to Tucson for a June wedding. Again.

Can't wait!

No doubt the Monterey Aquarium is on your list, but make sure you hit the other "sunny" side of the peninsula and go to Santa Cruz. The Boardwalk is great since you don't have to pay to go in, unlike most theme parks, and it's very cool to walk around and your kids can go on the rides. They do have concerts on the beach at night too. Redwoods are very close, and bet your kids would like the Mystery Spot. Santa Cruz was my favorite vacation spot when my kids were younger.

The Aquarium is cool, but very crowded, and full of strollers. Very annoying since it's difficult to get around.

Not sure how familiar you are with Cali, but it gets quite chilly at night, so make sure to dress in layers.

Your GPS will want you to take the 154 through the Santa Ynez valley, so if you do make sure to stop in the little Danish village of Solvang just to get some ableskivers. Forgot the place, but it has a walk up window.

Hearst Castle off the 1 near San Simeon is very cool for adults, but a lot of walking for those with little legs and not all that interesting. I love going though.

If you take the 1 up, make sure to expect a leisurely drive. Lots of RVs and tough to pass them. Beautiful drive though, especially up around Big Sur.
Thanks Dean! Great suggestions. Yes we are doing Aquarium. I would love to go to Hearst Castle now, but I went once when I was a kid and absolutely hated it and was bored to tears so I'm not going to put my kids through it!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I'm trying to get out to Barcelona for the second half of August but we'll see if business gets in the way
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

The aquarium is great. Been there a number of times whenever I happen to be in the area. When I was 9 I was in the bay area with my folks on a Tucson to Vancouver and back road trip. Several areas were off limits for filming. They would not say what was being filmed there in 1985 but it turned out to be Star Trek IV.

Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Coronado Island in a couple weeks and again in mid August.

Next year is the big trip to South Korea.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

This summer is going to be pretty sedate. Did Rocky Point 2 weeks ago for Circus Mexicus, going to Chihuahua, Mexico for a week next month, then maybe Seattle in September (or LA to visit family if Seattle ends up a bust). Next summer...Iceland.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gonna float away on a Wisconsin lake for the 4th, but other than that no plans. There's just too much stuff going on in Chicago over the summer to want to go anywhere else.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:This summer is going to be pretty sedate. Did Rocky Point 2 weeks ago for Circus Mexicus, going to Chihuahua, Mexico for a week next month, then maybe Seattle in September (or LA to visit family if Seattle ends up a bust). Next summer...Iceland.
Cool!

See what I did there?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

azgreg wrote:
UAdevil wrote:This summer is going to be pretty sedate. Did Rocky Point 2 weeks ago for Circus Mexicus, going to Chihuahua, Mexico for a week next month, then maybe Seattle in September (or LA to visit family if Seattle ends up a bust). Next summer...Iceland.
Cool!

See what I did there?
8-)
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

We just did Disneyland last week for a couple days, day at the beach & a day hanging with our friends in Hollywood. Then I put my wife and the youngster on a plane & my oldest and I drove across the desert for her freshman orientation at UofA on Monday. Longest & most stressful vacation of my life.

But easily one of the best too. So much fun.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

I'm heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAdevil wrote:Next summer...Iceland.
It's a pretty expensive flight, isn't it? I'd like to go, too, but whenever I look into the flights, I change my mind and go to Europe.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Paddling the Pend Oreille River this weekend in Idaho. Orientation at UW in a couple weeks. Jet boating through Hell's Canyon in August. Moving my son into UW in September.
Right where I want to be.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:Gonna float away on a Wisconsin lake for the 4th, but other than that no plans. There's just too much stuff going on in Chicago over the summer to want to go anywhere else.
should i come to the city for a weekend?
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Longhorned wrote:
It's a pretty expensive flight, isn't it? I'd like to go, too, but whenever I look into the flights, I change my mind and go to Europe.
Iceland Air has reasonably priced direct flights from Chicago
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sidewinder wrote:
Longhorned wrote:
Iceland Air has reasonably priced direct flights from Chicago
Holy shit, that's cheap. Like $460 per person round trip. Looking on Priceline it was about $1700 per person. Thanks!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Already did my big summer vacation-a week in Cape Cod with my son with side trips to New Hampshire, Vermont, Montreal, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and upstate NY. Knocked Fenway off my bucket list.

Now we are in Phoenix at a resort for a couple days because apparently it's not hot enough in Tucson for my wife. :roll:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The wife and I are headed to London, Paris, and Copenhagen. But it blurs the line between vacation and factification, seeing as I'll be following James Joyce's tunneling efforts in order to excavate Hammurabi's body, not to mention Proust's vision of Ruskin's Amiens. Plus I'll get paid for it, which further confuses the "vacation" aspect. But as the Real Dill says, there's no pleasure greater than spending someone else's money, particularly as I have none of my own.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Longhorned wrote:The wife and I are headed to London, Paris, and Copenhagen. But it blurs the line between vacation and factification, seeing as I'll be following James Joyce's tunneling efforts in order to excavate Hammurabi's body, not to mention Proust's vision of Ruskin's Amiens. Plus I'll get paid for it, which further confuses the "vacation" aspect. But as the Real Dill says, there's no pleasure greater than spending someone else's money, particularly as I have none of my own.
Have you ever seen "As Above, So Below"?

BTW, going to Denver and all those beautiful Colorado locales in its vicinity next week.

Winger, I will buy first round if you read this board. I don't care that I have the wife and kids. It's the Rocky Mountain state, for crying out loud, and I'm goin' home. :)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

June 23rd to July 3rd.

Durham>Charleston WV>Champaign IL>New Glarus WI>Sioux Falls>Rushmore/Deadwood/Sturgis>Sheridan WY>Beartooth Highway/Cooke City MT>Yellowstone>Reno>San Rafael/Marin Co.

Totally bad ass, lots of fun, so many good pictures and great memories made with wife and 11mo daughter. Too much to recount here, but I whole heartily love the cross country road trip. We stayed in a good mix of economical and luxury accommodations, ate too much good food, and drank way to much good beer and local whiskey.

Highly recommend the Beartooth Highway...reminscent of the Swiss Alps.
Last edited by CalStateTempe on Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Ate Rocky Mountain Oysters for the first time.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

CalStateTempe wrote:Ate Rocky Mountain Oysters for the first time.
Ballsy.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Cote d'azur. Staying in a family-oriented 'campground' with some friends. Probably won't be much to do other than sit around getting drunk for a week. Fall holiday should be more interesting...
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

UAdevil wrote:
Ballsy.
They make me teste.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Ballsy.
They make me teste.
I think it's just nuts.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
gumby wrote:
UAdevil wrote:
Ballsy.
They make me teste.
I think it's just nuts.
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

gumby

Post by gumby »

Go! Nads!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We're going to Boise and then McCall, ID this weekend. Brett Dennen & Ben Harper on Saturday. Going to visit our daughter & hopefully relax.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Moved and changed jobs.

Didn't take a vacation.

Wish I had.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Greer was awesome the weekend before last!
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Puerco wrote:Cote d'azur. Staying in a family-oriented 'campground' with some friends. Probably won't be much to do other than sit around getting drunk for a week. Fall holiday should be more interesting...
Crap wine, too hot, too many ants in my bed at night, and too many fat old women sans bikini top. All in all, not bad to be away from work for a week!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy