What language would you learn?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Longhorned

What language would you learn?

Post by Longhorned »

If you decided to devote the time to it, what language would you learn?
Chicat

Re: What language would you learn?

Post by Chicat »

Italian

I have some rudimentary experience with the language having taken a few classes, but it would be great to be able to go see my distant family in Atripalda (in the mountains east of Naples near Avellino) and speak fluently with them in their own language.

Of course, they'd probably all want to practice their English...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Spanish. Just out of practicality. Was nearly fluent for a while as I had a girlfriend from Chihuahua for a number of years and English was not her strong suit. ;-) Of course you tend to lose it if you don't use it, and I've lost most of it.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Spanish...I took 5 years of it in school and was progressing to the point where i was getting maybe not fluent but I could hold my own in most conversations. but now i can only really read Spanish well...my conversational abilities are toast.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Farsi.

I would love to communicate with my inlaws in their native tongue and be able to hold my own/show respect for Persian culture when I finally take that trip to Iran.

I'd be able to help out my father in-law as well. Actually planning on taking classes once I take my subspecialty boards.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

French. I read it for my work but I never really learned it. I can get around but I can't converse or watch movies without reading subtitles. I'm now actively dedicating time to it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

English.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote:English.
Si.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:French. I read it for my work but I never really learned it. I can get around but I can't converse or watch movies without reading subtitles. I'm now actively dedicating time to it.
This is my number two, LH
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Japanese
Latin
Russian
Spanish

in that order.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I took one semester of Japanese in college. It was brutal.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

More evidence that I'm a racist is that I couldn't practice Japanese without shouting it while punching and kicking at the air.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Chicat wrote:I took one semester of Japanese in college. It was brutal.
That's what everyone says, that it's incredibly hard to learn, and even harder to learn how to write it. But still, if I could, that would be the first one on my list.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:More evidence that I'm a racist is that I couldn't practice Japanese without shouting it while punching and kicking at the air.
Same for me with German, but without the punching/kicking, and more of a finger jabbing with ramrod straight posture sort of thing.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

German. I took one semester in college but that was it and I have lost most of it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:More evidence that I'm a racist is that I couldn't practice Japanese without shouting it while punching and kicking at the air.
Same for me with German, but without the punching/kicking, and more of a finger jabbing with ramrod straight posture sort of thing.
No joke, same here. When I was at the Goethe Institut in Freiburg my German friends were truly offended, and then only eventually decided it was funny.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Chicat wrote:
No joke, same here. When I was at the Goethe Institut in Freiburg my German friends were truly offended, and then only eventually decided it was funny.
On one of Tool's albums there is an interlude with a guy screaming a chocolate chip cookie recipe in German like he was addressing a political rally and it is possibly the scariest shit you've ever heard.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Ant. Because I want to be able to talk to our new overlords about not having to toil in their underground sugarcaves.

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think German is a beautiful sounding language when spoken by Swiss and German babes.

Ja.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CalStateTempe wrote:I think German is a beautiful sounding language when spoken by Swiss and German babes.

Ja.
ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

Spanish, because:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUCatFan wrote:Spanish, because:

According to that pic, there's a 100% chance of a storm en mis pantalones.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hadn't been paying attention in my high school Spanish class, and my vocabulary was pretty confused.

The teacher asked me in Spanish, "What do you like to do at parties?"

Fashioning myself as a romantic Latino man, I said, "I like to dance with beautiful women."

The teacher paused. Switching to English, she said, "You like to ride fat women?"
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Longhorned wrote:I hadn't been paying attention in my high school Spanish class, and my vocabulary was pretty confused.

Fashioning myself as a romantic Latino man, I said, "I like to dance with beautiful women."

The teacher paused. Switching to English, she said, "You like to ride fat women?"

Well....did you like to ride fat women?

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I hadn't been paying attention in my high school Spanish class, and my vocabulary was pretty confused.

Well....did you like to ride fat women?
Maybe twice a week tops. Tops.