Pizza!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BearDown89

Re: Pizza!

Post by BearDown89 »

Chicat wrote:
BearDown89 wrote:
Chicat wrote:How about frozen/oven pizza?

My go to used to be Red Baron but we've completely switched to the Screamin' Sicilian brand. Their Bessie's Revenge and Boss Hog varieties are awesome.
I love frozen pizza. I always doctor them up though with all kinds of extras. They're usually unrecognizable by the time I get done with them. I go for the thin crust varieties.
Try the Boss Hog. There's literally no room to add any other toppings because they pile on the meat.
I'll keep an eye out for it, but I'm back on program now. Just watched my daughter eat a perfect looking Round Table pepperoni. I had salad bar. Oh and I slammed a pitcher
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

OK, I went to Pizza Studio today. I was quite impressed. I went with the flax-seed crust - wow, it was earthy with a good crunch.

I was impressed, it was a bit spendy, but the quality was high, and the service was spot on.

Shout out to Chi....

Screamin Sicilian is the shyte! Bessie's Revenge.
KingG

Post by KingG »

My favorite pizza places in town:

Rocco's for deep dish

Upper Crust for NY thin crust

Grimaldi's for Neapolitan
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lou Malnati's is coming to Phoenix if any of you are deep dish fans.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Chicat wrote:Lou Malnati's is coming to Phoenix if any of you are deep dish fans.
I was just going to post this. It is close to home, and the first restaurant outside of Illinois. That, along with Oregeno's, are my favorite pizza here. BTW Shake Shack is going to open in the same location.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertai ... /75109586/" target="_blank

This is Oregeno's:

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think deep dish is bullshit (it's less a pizza and more a cheese pie with sauce and meat/veggies) but when I am forced to eat it by some visiting out-of-towner, I always choose Lou Malnati's.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:I think deep dish is bullshit (it's less a pizza and more a cheese pie with sauce and meat/veggies) but when I am forced to eat it by some visiting out-of-towner, I always choose Lou Malnati's.
I agree. I love thin crust pizza.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You can also get authentic Chicago thin-crust pizza in Phoenix. Phoenix is the only city you can get any and all Chicago foods. Not even Champaign, Illinois has Chicago foods.

The reason you can eat Chicago foods in Phoenix is because Phoenix is filled with Chicago transplants. Every friend I had growing up in Phoenix was from a family that moved from Chicago. Eventually when I grew up and moved to Chicago, I knew all the lore, the accent, everything. And I can't help but think of born-and-raised locals in Chicago as "the ones who never made it out." Because that's how Chicagoans in Phoenix talk about their family and friends left behind.

But the reality is that there's something a little off about a people whose dream is to move to Phoenix.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote:You can also get authentic Chicago thin-crust pizza in Phoenix. Phoenix is the only city you can get any and all Chicago foods. Not even Champaign, Illinois has Chicago foods.

The reason you can eat Chicago foods in Phoenix is because Phoenix is filled with Chicago transplants. Every friend I had growing up in Phoenix was from a family that moved from Chicago. Eventually when I grew up and moved to Chicago, I knew all the lore, the accent, everything. And I can't help but think of born-and-raised locals in Chicago as "the ones who never made it out." Because that's how Chicagoans in Phoenix talk about their family and friends left behind.

But the reality is that there's something a little off about a people whose dream is to move to Phoenix.

This is 100% true... as I am a Phx transplant from Chicago. And every time I go back to Chicago to work I always meet new people living in Chicago who tell me about their relatives living in Phoenix.

Back to Pizza... I don't like eating deep dish pizza as often as I used to but when I do... it has to be Lou's.

Guess I'm going to be visiting my folks more often as soon as Lou's is here.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

There are about five days a year in Phoenix in which your body could really use some Chicago-style deep dish.

Those five days were typically spent by me either at home in bed or preparing a good hot tea and some soup prior to a hearty meat-and-potatoes or Mexican dinner.

Just saying, there are plenty of climatological factors why most of these Chicago-style pizza places don't exist outside of Chicago.

Sure, I'd try Lou's once out of curiosity, but what's going to keep these places going? Everybody moving from there to here?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

To me deep dish pizza is like a pasta dish on a giant bread plate.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

catgrad97 wrote:There are about five days a year in Phoenix in which your body could really use some Chicago-style deep dish.

Those five days were typically spent by me either at home in bed or preparing a good hot tea and some soup prior to a hearty meat-and-potatoes or Mexican dinner.

Just saying, there are plenty of climatological factors why most of these Chicago-style pizza places don't exist outside of Chicago.

Sure, I'd try Lou's once out of curiosity, but what's going to keep these places going? Everybody moving from there to here?
Lou's will do just fine in PHX. It's really good.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

azgreg wrote:To me deep dish pizza is like a pasta dish on a giant bread plate.

Many deep dish pizzas have way too much bread. That I agree with. I don't actually eat pizza much anymore. My metabolism isn't like what it once was. I do eat at a casual pizza joint occasionally because it is close to work. That is "Fired Pie". It is a pizza cracker set up like Chipotle where you choose the ingredients you want in an assembly line format. The prepare the dough and bake it while you wait. It only takes 5 minutes.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I eat a lot of pizza. And I've lost a lot of weight in the process. Take that to the doctor and smoke it.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I eat a lot of pizza. And I've lost a lot of weight in the process. Take that to the doctor and smoke it.
Do you eat it on a treadmill?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I would say between Luke's and Rocco's, Tucson has Chicago food covered.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What happens when you let the Swedes make pizza.

Behold the new Swedish Super Pizza!

Journalist Cecilia Edström tweeted this picture of the culinary masterpiece, which is called the "Volcano Pizza," made by chef Halmat Givra of Nya Gul & Blå restaurant in Piteå, Sweden. As reported by Nyheter24, the pizza contains pockets of ham and cheese, beef tenderloin, salami, bacon, french fries, and salad with Bearnaise sauce.

What's the Swedish word for "yummy"?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:What happens when you let the Swedes make pizza.

Behold the new Swedish Super Pizza!

Journalist Cecilia Edström tweeted this picture of the culinary masterpiece, which is called the "Volcano Pizza," made by chef Halmat Givra of Nya Gul & Blå restaurant in Piteå, Sweden. As reported by Nyheter24, the pizza contains pockets of ham and cheese, beef tenderloin, salami, bacon, french fries, and salad with Bearnaise sauce.

What's the Swedish word for "yummy"?

I'd give it a try
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I've been in Chicago a total of five days. I've had Lou's 3 times.

I will be paying Lou's a visit every time I'm in the area.

Oregano's pizza is garbage. At least it was in Flagstaff. It's tasteless. Spinato's for thin crust, and now Lou's for deep dish.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

JMarkJohns wrote:I've been in Chicago a total of five days. I've had Lou's 3 times.

I will be paying Lou's a visit every time I'm in the area.

Oregano's pizza is garbage. At least it was in Flagstaff. It's tasteless. Spinato's for thin crust, and now Lou's for deep dish.
I drive by the one at Oracle and OG to get pizza - not even an after thought.

Rocco's is a different story, their Chicago style deep AND thin are both out of this world. They have Roma Imports make them a special blend for Italian sausage.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

i inadvertently celebrated national pizza day at lunch yesterday!

also, i like chicago-style pizza just fine but realtalk: lou malnati's is straight tourist garbage, as are uno, gino's east, giordano's, due, and most of the river north type pizzerias. i mean, pizza is always awesome, but while i was living in chi i couldn't find any chicago-style pizza that holds a candle to zachary's in oakland, ca. second place is masa's here in los angeles, but zachary's is head and shoulders above pretty much anything else on this planet, easily.

i will have to check out some of the places mentioned in this thread the next time i'm in AZ. i think west coast pizza catches a lot more shit than it deserves. some say that you can't have good pizza without a native pizza-lingua franca like nyc (who arguably has 3 styles), new haven, and chicago do. but the quality of new york pizza is totally bifurcated and for every lucali, john's, and patsy's you have a bunch of 99 cent mcdonald's-level shit slice joints. new haven's good, but can't prop up a critical mass of serious pizza-eating. and i already mentioned chicago.

but out west, pizza is finally developing its own style with weird toppings of the past and the farm to table and panisse-inspired stuff you see now, combined with the insanely good tartine-style doughs at like una pizza napoletana, del popolo, and pizzahacker coming out of the bay area. and i think the pizza out west is far less hit or miss than new york.

here in LA, mozza's great, as @97cats mentioned, as are masa's, bestia, two boots, casa bianca, tomato pie, pitfire, cruzer, and pizzanista. lamonica's on the westside ships in their dough from new york nightly, and is good (better if you're drunk). even the "mall pizza" options like 800 degrees and blaze and even raffalo's are hella tasty.
Longhorned wrote:I eat a lot of pizza. And I've lost a lot of weight in the process. Take that to the doctor and smoke it.
and shout out to @longhorned -- i am also on the pizza diet :D
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

also, these places are probably gone by now, but my favorite pizza in tucson: z's pizza on 6th, bianchi's(?) on 6th (amazing calzones), mama's on park (slices bigger than your head).

the worst i remember is cardinal's on speedway near bentley's. awful, awful pizza but so budget-friendly! my friends and i had stacks of coupons for like $5 XL pizzas from cardinal's. :lol:
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah none of those places are around anymore
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

dirtbags wrote:also, these places are probably gone by now, but my favorite pizza in tucson: z's pizza on 6th, bianchi's(?) on 6th (amazing calzones), mama's on park (slices bigger than your head).

the worst i remember is cardinal's on speedway near bentley's. awful, awful pizza but so budget-friendly! my friends and i had stacks of coupons for like $5 XL pizzas from cardinal's. :lol:
Bianchi's is still around. Zachary's made an appearence across 6th street for several years, but eventually fizzled out - it's one of my all time favorites, but it was never the same once it moved. No more picnic tables!!

I remember going to Pizza City on 6th having pizza, drinking beer and singing karaoke. I'm thinking it was where Highland Commons/Student health is now.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

yeah, pizza shitty!! i totally forgot about that one.

i went to mama's pizza the last time i was in tucson (like over a decade ago), but the location we went to was really far from campus, out near sabino canyon or something? who knows. they still piped the same slowww jazzzz over the sound system, though. haha.

also, a google image search for "mama's pizza tucson" returns some pics of those bigass slices. i am a sucker for bigass slices.

Zero

Post by Zero »

I love Mama's. Those big ass pizzas are great.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Actually had mama's on Friday. Very meh.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mama's has gone way down hill and seems to be very location dependent. Never been impressed with the one on Speedway or the one way out on Broadway.
The one on 22nd and Kolb seems to still be pretty good. Never been to the one on Oracle. The one just off campus that is no longer there was awesome when I was in school.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Pizzamania is good out here in Whittier. I also really enjoy Mama Petrillos/Petrillos out in San Gabriel
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You have to try this.

Leftover pizza heated in a waffle iron

Like the author said, I just want to order pizza and let it go cold so I can reheat it in my waffle iron. Best thing ever.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... snack.html" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

hmmm

i bought a good pizza stone a month or so ago. love it.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Brilliant! I'm thinking cheese crisp in the waffle iron with the awesome tortillas I brought back from Mexico this week.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Went to Time Marget and had a slice of their cheese pizza. If you like New York style pizza, you should go to Time Market. I really liked it.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just had Lou's for lunch...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Fuck dat shit.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Little early for April Fools isn’t it?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

How much cocaine?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I looked the article up. Seems cocaine was smuggled into Europe by using hallowed out pineapples from South America. No residual cocaine in pineapples, so a bit disappointed.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Let’s talk pizza ovens, what do you got and what should I buy?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

My dream is to own a duel fuel Ooni to begin a Friday night pizza party tradition for my kids...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is the one that will end up in my back yard when my wife goes out one time. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I really like Blackstone products. On my 2nd griddle.

3 big points for me:

Patented rotating tray and 2-Stone technology
Cook up to a 16” pizza
Reach up to 900+ Degrees

https://blackstoneproducts.com/products ... pizza-oven

Hmmm, the smaller Blackstone is real reasonably priced: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-T ... SellerId=0