Post Your Job Thread --

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Post Your Job Thread --

Post by 97cats »

this question got buried in another thread on the PRB Forum yesterday so i thought i would start a new thread here.

its something we did at the other site that i thought was cool as it gave an interesting insight into the community -- i know there is a 'work status' thread but i skimmed it and its just not the same. MOD's, if there is something im missing, please merge.

i will go first:

i work for a family office based in Santa Ana, CA specializing in re-development and re-adaptive use of retail real estate.

the firm currently owns about 10m feet in 19 states and my role is to run the acquisition & disposition depts as well as managing, satisfying, and completing all 1031 exchanges.

you?
UAEebs86

Re: Post Your Job Thread --

Post by UAEebs86 »

Systems engineer
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I drive a mobile sperm donor van.

I'm a mechanical engineer for a small manufacturing company that specializes in the aerospace industry. Honeywell is our biggest customer.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Credit Unioning like a boss.

I travel around the state and do about 7 different jobs in 20 different places including training staff, opening new locations, mergers, and anything else they can think of for me to do from answering phones to managing locations. Amazing benefits for a smaller company (less than 500 employees) and above average pay for similar positions nationwide.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I sell advertising space to local and regional Midwest companies, which mostly consists of eating gigantic steaks for lunch, drinking scotch in "strategy meetings" after hours, going to professional sporting events, begging, pleading, and licking the buttholes of some of the slimiest people you've ever met.

Hey, it pays the bills (sometimes).
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Business Analyst for a major bank.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Museum Curator (I'm an anthropologist)
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

UAdevil wrote:Museum Curator (I'm an anthropologist)
kick ass. that was my dream job as a kid/young teenager (museum curator).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAdevil wrote:Museum Curator (I'm an anthropologist)
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I am a freelance Audio Visual Engineer and Coordinator for corporate events.

Basically I run the technical side of large and small scale Corporate Conventions / Annual Meetings / Symposiums / Product Launches / Etc. around the country (and sometimes outside the country) My job is very strange and I work for every type of industry imaginable.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

New job, one month in.

Master servicing manager and in-house attorney for a commercial real estate lender. The company makes bridge and now permanent loans to stabilize middle-market commercial properties in 37 states to date. The company has financed almost 30 million square feet thus far. We keep all loans on our balance sheet. My job is a new evolving to-be-determined position within the company. I manage the post-closing/funding servicing department modifying loans, approving new leases, overseeing workouts, monitoring payments, payoffs, extensions, etc. Basically, real estate transaction and finance law. So far they've pulled me into just about everything and seem pretty damn excited to have a lawyer in house to weigh in on just about anything . . . So far so good.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Adjunct Professor, Part-Time

Health Benefits Consultant, Full-Time

The latter is similar but different than being a Broker. The idea is similar, but I work for myself with no limitations. My job is to get out and talk with people, something I'm good at, and make friends, something I'm good at, and discuss their concerns, employer or employee, meet with people and help match their needs/wants/budgets to various insurance offerings including life, major medical, dental, vision, and supplemental.

More importantly, I help people navigate the ever changing, mostly complicated landscape of benefits at a time when most people want to throw money in the air and hide their head in the ground, hoping the minimum they've done is just enough.

I've had days I've made no money. I've had days I've made $5000. Right now it's about learning and gaining consistency, but the higher ups in the business already have their eye on me.

Jokingly, before even knowing anything about me, the son of the president of the company nicknamed me "The Professor". Said I have as much upside in this business as anyone he's seen.

I'm small time right now, but I'm just three months in.

Give me a year and we'll see. I'm on track to make about $50K this year. Which is actually a raise from what NAU paid me, but within two years everyone says to expect six figures. I get that, and I can join any office anywhere in my territory. Maybe Phoenix, maybe Tucson, maybe San Diego.

I worked 5 hours today, set 5 appointments for next Tuesday/Wednesday, have five follow ups tomorrow, including a business with about a dozen offices all over the state. I already have 6 appointments set for January, not including follow ups. Plus I work with sole proprietors as well.

It may not sound like fun, but surprisingly, if you like getting to know people, like educating, like helping, it's been really great.

Most important for me, my hard work will actually reward me. If I work late, it'll matter to me. If I work a weekend, it'll matter to me. As I get good at this, the hard work will only separate me from the pack. And it allows me to teach as an Adjunct free and clear of the bullshit politics of faculty jobs. I can teach because I'm good at it for me and my students and not for anyone else.
BMalo

Post by BMalo »

Rehabilitation Counselor. Right now I supervise a unit of 7 Rehab Counselors. We work with individuals with various disabilities and their rehabilitation process and their return to work.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

High school math teacher
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote:High school math teacher
You get combat pay?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Chicat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:High school math teacher
You get combat pay?
Nope just ear plugs. . . They help me ignore the lovely stories on public education and block out the ridiculous decisions made at all levels.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I'm a Manager in Facilities Management at a certain university in So. AZ. I go to meetings and look at chicks all day...I mean...inspect the work being done.

Seriously, most days feels like I'm stealing money.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

MARINE ENGINEER

Whenever a ship goes into drydock or undergoes a heavy maintenance period in a shipyard all of that work is extensively preplanned. In short, I am on a team that plans out heavy duty ship maintenance many months before the ship enters the port. From writing up the contracts that coordinate labor from pipefitters, welders, and painters, to using CAD to design installations of upgraded equipment, we have input in just about everything that takes place on the ship during its yard period.

The upside is that 1) I am on the road about a half dozen times a year, spending time in some nice port towns like San Diego and Charleston, 2) I interface with the sea captains, chief engineers, and their crews who are always a lively bunch, and 3) overall it's good junior level experience.

The downsides are 1) the budget restrictions can be a nightmare, 2) the regulatory compliance can be a drag, and 3) 80% of my time is spent in a dark office very deep in the weeds of very tedious CAD, Excel, or Email work.

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

CatsbyAZ MARINE ENGINEER

Whenever a ship goes into drydock or undergoes a heavy maintenance period in a shipyard all of that work is extensively preplanned. In short, I am on a team that plans out heavy duty ship maintenance many months before the ship enters the port. From writing up the contracts that coordinate labor from pipefitters, welders, and painters, to using CAD to design installations of upgraded equipment, we have input in just about everything that takes place on the ship during its yard period.

The upside is that 1) I am on the road about a half dozen times a year, spending time in some nice port towns like San Diego and Charleston, 2) I interface with the sea captains, chief engineers, and their crews who are always a lively bunch, and 3) overall it's good junior level experience.

The downsides are 1) the budget restrictions can be a nightmare, 2) the regulatory compliance can be a drag, and 3) 80% of my time is spent in a dark office very deep in the weeds of very tedious CAD, Excel, or Email work.

Fascinating stuff CatsbyAZ. One of those didn't know it existed type of jobs to me. I'm sure it varies, but what is the range of time that a ship is typically in drydock for its heavy maintenance period?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

art historian

If your kids are in college and I'm teaching them, a few things have gone majorly wrong for you and it's time for you to recalibrate.
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Longhorned wrote:art historian

If your kids are in college and I'm teaching them, a few things have gone majorly wrong for you and it's time for you to recalibrate.
My dad was an art historian.

I hate you.
Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I'd say it's too late.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

BearDown89 wrote: Fascinating stuff CatsbyAZ. One of those didn't know it existed type of jobs to me. I'm sure it varies, but what is the range of time that a ship is typically in drydock for its heavy maintenance period?
A ship will typically occupy a drydock for 3-6 months, but that doesn't mean that the ship won't be then moved back in the shipyards waterside piers for further work that can be performed without a dry docking. Internal work such as electrical, engine room machinery, and habitation modifications. Drydocks are used for work on the hull and commercial ship owners don't like their vessel's in drydocks for long because ports charge a high premium due to 1) long waiting periods and 2) there being few commercial drydocks.

The US Navy has exclusive drydocks due to security, size (Carriers), vessel uniqueness (Submarines), and active nuclear reactors (Subs & Carriers). On the commercial side there three major commercially bidding drydocks for maintenance on the East Coast - Mobile AL, Charleston SC, and Norfolk VA. On the West Coast there's San Diego (primarily full scale construction), Portland & San Francisco (both mostly maintenance). There's plenty of smaller drydocks and Florida has some larger ones exclusively for Cruise Ships.

Youtube has a good selection of videos: Toward the end of this one you can see the water level draining:
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
gumby

Post by gumby »

Journalist. "Lamestream".
Right where I want to be.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

City Planner
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Coop Cat wrote:City Planner
Anything like a party planner?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:

I'd say it's too late.
Too late even to recalibrate. Might as well lay on your back and pee toward the ceiling.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

are most art historians typically quick-witted, fun-loving, super cultured, energizers of the party?

not ever meeting you other than online, if you are none of those things in person please advise.

thx in advance, a salesman
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

97cats wrote:
are most art historians typically quick-witted, fun-loving, super cultured, energizers of the party?

not ever meeting you other than online, if you are none of those things in person please advise.

While I'm sure we'll sack the city of Las Vegas and never regret it when I finally make it out to a PAC-12 tourney, my colleagues hate me. As in breathe fire in my general direction hate me for being a low-brow, off-track, beside-the-point, and generally inappropriate slap in the face to the esteemed values of the Academy. Read those last 15 or so words in the voice of William F. Buckley for full effect.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
97cats wrote:

While I'm sure we'll sack the city of Las Vegas and never regret it when I finally make it out to a PAC-12 tourney, my colleagues hate me. As in breathe fire in my general direction hate me for being a low-brow, off-track, beside-the-point, and generally inappropriate slap in the face to the esteemed values of the Academy. Read those last 15 or so words in the voice of William F. Buckley for full effect.
Your jaunty fedora and bullwhip don't help matters...
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:I sell advertising space to local and regional Midwest companies, which mostly consists of eating gigantic steaks for lunch, drinking scotch in "strategy meetings" after hours, going to professional sporting events, begging, pleading, and licking the buttholes of some of the slimiest people you've ever met.

I'm in software sales, but I will very soon be selling advertising (ad space on a website).

Chicat, where is this ad space that you are selling to these companies, exactly? I'm inexperienced in this type of sales and, while my clientele will be entirely different (mostly universities), you might have some good knowledge about ad sales that could be beneficial.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Chicat wrote:I sell advertising space to local and regional Midwest companies, which mostly consists of eating gigantic steaks for lunch, drinking scotch in "strategy meetings" after hours, going to professional sporting events, begging, pleading, and licking the buttholes of some of the slimiest people you've ever met.

I'm in software sales, but I will very soon be selling advertising (ad space on a website).

Chicat, where is this ad space that you are selling to these companies, exactly? I'm inexperienced in this type of sales and, while my clientele will be entirely different (mostly universities), you might have some good knowledge about ad sales that could be beneficial.
I sell Outdoor, so it's pretty different than digital/online. My wife though sells print/online, so PM me if you have any questions. What I do know about selling in the online space is that delivery is key and really trackable, so if you don't have a good product, repeat business can be tough.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Chicat wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:

I sell Outdoor, so it's pretty different than digital/online. My wife though sells print/online, so PM me if you have any questions. What I do know about selling in the online space is that delivery is key and really trackable, so if you don't have a good product, repeat business can be tough.
Makes sense, thanks. Will definitely PM you if I think you could be helpful.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: sell Outdoor, so it's pretty different than digital/online. My wife though sells print/online, so PM me if you have any questions. What I do know about selling in the online space is that delivery is key and really trackable, so if you don't have a good product, repeat business can be tough.
You're not the one responsible for the shit I have to read at the urinal are you?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote: sell Outdoor, so it's pretty different than digital/online. My wife though sells print/online, so PM me if you have any questions. What I do know about selling in the online space is that delivery is key and really trackable, so if you don't have a good product, repeat business can be tough.
You're not the one responsible for the shit I have to read at the urinal are you?
Haha, no. Although that company did try to poach me.

As my wife said, "I don't think bathrooms and gas stations would be considered a step up in anyone's career."
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Pricing Analyst for NOVA Home Loans
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

cats101 wrote:Pricing Analyst for NOVA Home Loans
Metallurgical Engineer for a large US Based Mining Company
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

State Licensing Surveyor for AZDHS
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

azgreg wrote:
That's not where the shit goes. You're doing it wrong.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

azgreg wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:City Planner
Anything like a party planner?
Without the parties ;)
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Rich Rod's Agent
97cats

Post by 97cats »

SCCats wrote:Rich Rod's Agent
so you're not that busy?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

97cats wrote:
so you're not that busy?
It's the best job ever. People think I'm doing tons, but really I'm just cashing checks on the beach in Mexico.

Pretty. Sweet. Gig.

Gotta go. Call from Feldman coming in.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Just started at Drivetime working in operations. I am Title Servicing specialist, meaning I handle titles for cars and anything to do with titles.
Salty

Post by Salty »

SCCats wrote:
97cats wrote:
so you're not that busy?
It's the best job ever. People think I'm doing tons, but really I'm just cashing checks on the beach in Mexico.

Pretty. Sweet. Gig.

Gotta go. Call from Feldman coming in.
SCCat... As in South Carolina Cat?

You bastard... You planned this all along.
Salty

Post by Salty »

Lando05 wrote:Just started at Drivetime working in operations. I am Title Servicing specialist, meaning I handle titles for cars and anything to do with titles.
It would be cooler if you handled titties instead of titles and anything to do with titties.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Watch him whip. Watch him nae-nae.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

Internal Auditor for the biggest casino company out here in Las Vegas. It's the reason I've been able to get Friends & Family deals for hotel rooms for quite a few people for the PAC-12 tourney, or any other time. And now they allow us to do F&F for shows too. Anybody need a room for the tourney, just send me a PM.

And don't be surprised if ticket prices go up a little bit for the PAC-12 tourney due to new state laws regarding the Entertainment Tax. Got more info on the future of the tourney but I'll save that for the PAC-12 tourney thread in the basketball forum.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Outpatient Physician with a large health system. (Not KP)
Medical Director for all California government agencies.

Great mix of patient care and population health policy work. Really happy/fortunate/blessed to have found a job that fits my skill set, interests, and personality perfectly. Challenging, invigorating, and I leave work at the end of most days feeling great about our team and what we provide patients and society.
Lane_Myers

Post by Lane_Myers »

Business Analyst for a Fortune 50 company