Millennials

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ASUHATER!

Millennials

Post by ASUHATER! »

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/health/yo ... d=37083597" target="_blank

Interesting read that finally sheds some light on the endless debates dissecting everything millenials do. I hate that people in their early to mid 30s(millenials are as old as 36-37 now) are often grouped with people that are still in high school as the same generation. As someone born in 1986, I in no way identify as being in the same generation as someone born in 1999, much less 1992. I don't use social media, outside of this site and logging into Facebook every 3 weeks or so. I remember how the world worked before cellphones and the internet. But every article and discussion and sociologist lumps us into the same conversation with social media addled high schoolers. There definitely is an old and a young separation between "millenials".
Last edited by ASUHATER! on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Re: Millenials

Post by gumby »

Baby Boomers -- 1946-1964. Also analyzed to death.

Your turn.
Last edited by gumby on Sat May 06, 2017 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Right where I want to be.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Baby boomers are the reason the world is so fucked up currently
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

scumdevils86 wrote:Baby boomers are the reason the world is so fucked up currently
You're welcome.
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:Baby boomers are the reason the world is so fucked up currently
Your bro won't appreciate the generalization.

But, yeah, we're all a buncha jerks. Even gave birth to those damn millennials! And who raised us? The so-called Greatest Generation! What a laugh!

Before us, America was nice, tidy, traditional, segregated, closeted. Women knew their place. A man could dump his shit in any river, stream, lake. Cars, oh man, muscle machines ... 10 mpg ... no catalytic converters ... Vroom!. Smog and coal ... hard to say which was more manly.

Then the pesky enviros ruined everything.

Turn back the clock and make America Great Again!
Last edited by gumby on Sat May 06, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

P.S. It's "millennials."

F*ucking baby boomer teachers!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

When was every asshole billionaire, politician and world leader born? Oh yeah 1945-1965. Nearly every voice that's railing against progressive ideals in this country is a baby boomer. I've also seen at work that the work harder not smarter ideology is rampant amongst boomers. And they generally are the most entitled. They suck at their job but just because they have been working for 35 years that means they think they are worth more.
gumby

Post by gumby »

scumdevils86 wrote:When was every asshole billionaire, politician and world leader born? Oh yeah 1945-1965. Nearly every voice that's railing against progressive ideals in this country is a baby boomer. I've also seen at work that the work harder not smarter ideology is rampant amongst boomers. And they generally are the most entitled. They suck at their job but just because they have been working for 35 years that means they think they are worth more.
That's because the people before them are dead. They were even less progressive.

But the railers are countered by progressives within the same generation, which is why things changed. And who raised the millennials who are more open-minded than baby boomers?

Look, it's stupid, as you brother noted, to take a generation with arbitrarily assigned years and ascribe to it all of the same traits. But if you want to keep up the rant, I'm sure Archie Bunker would applaud your open mind.

P.S. The generation coming up behind you will talk trash about you, too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

As a tail end baby boomer, we hate the early ones, as they got the best jobs, the best houses and so on.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm Gen X so fuck all of you
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:I'm Gen X so fuck all of you
I identify more with late gen xers than what the media likes to think of as millennials

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Generally speaking despite my rant the whole generational construct is silly. You can't have defined eras by exact year to truly describe everyone. I've just been more annoyed than usual lately with people my parents' age ;)
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
As a tail end baby boomer, we hate the early ones, as they got the best jobs, the best houses and so on.
Intra-Boomer hate? That's too confusing!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Everyone hates every generation except the Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millenials.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Everyone hates every generation except the Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millenials.
The generation I'm part of has it right. Older generations were dinonsaurs stuck in the past. Newer ones have gotten lazy and entitled. Only people born between 1980 and 1982 are really getting it right.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Everyone hates every generation except the Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millenials.
The generation I'm part of has it right. Older generations were dinonsaurs stuck in the past. Newer ones have gotten lazy and entitled. Only people born between 1980 and 1982 are really getting it right.
That take is HOT!!!!

Kim ('80), Paris ('81).
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

I was born in 1982 so I apparently belong to Gen X, Y, and am a millennial.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gen y and millennials are the same thing. You're in the millennial time frame. Gen x really ends around 81-82 at the latest

gumby

Post by gumby »

The trick is not to care.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Millenials are so vanila.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:Millenials are so vanila.
Now, it's personnal!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not all bad.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

That part I can verify is true. Only you old farts go to places like Applebee's or Chili's. I don't think I've been to one of those big chain sit down restaurants more than once in probably 6 years. And that was for a work event.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Only you old farts go to places like Applebee's or Chili's.
Not me youngster! Never catch me in one of those places. I really dislike chains, esp. Applebees. Food all processed at packaged in Ohio, then flash frozen and sent out here? No thanks.

However, someone did give my wife a GC to Red Lobster, so had to go there yesterday for lunch. At least it was near free.

Now get offa my lawn!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well we know you're different haha.

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:Well we know you're different haha.
In all fairness, at Red Lobster yesterday it was pretty much all middle aged and older white people eating.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I shudder when all the 40 and 50 something people around my work (and occasionally younger people too) that all live out in the deep suburbia hells that are Rita ranch and similar areas always talk about how they went out to an amazing dinner the other night at Applebee's or Cheddar's or similar. I just can't help thinking...God go to a local restaurant with an actual chef once in a while or go to a brewery or something to hang out instead of the Applebee's bar. Why go out to eat when you're served frozen shit?

MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

A lot grew up with depression parents who served canned crap for dinner so I can see why they like food from Applebee's. Yeah the food isn't the greatest but it's still good, whatever your definition is good is. Some people don't really crave the brewery scene or want to pay for a chef inspired dish. I'm usually with my grandma when we hit up Chili's or Applebees and at least they rotate the menu frequently so there is always something different. The only chain I choose to go to is red robin, but the meals anywhere are fine.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

it is consistent. In mom and pop's, or independents, they may be the best ever, but they may be new or new ownership or just lost all their employees because they don't know what is a realistic pay grade or they are cutting corners or they start cutting corners on food, etc...

So if you go to a Cheesecake Factory, the steward is the same for all the stores in Phoenix, and the ordering is consistent. The system works. The recipes are the same from this one to that one and are developed by an executive chef.

They may not be above a 6 on the standard 10 scale, but you know what you are getting and likely what the service will be like. I tend to prefer "hole in the wall" or independent restaurants when I am out myself, but I have been burned by that with my family, when you are trying to keep a 6 year old entertained. I am also not an "eat and linger" guy...when I am done, I am ready to go...and I usually ask for the check before I finish, if the server ever stops by. I have been screwed at non-chains by total kitchen shitfests.

I still prefer independent places, but I get why someone wants to get their "same as it always was" tequila lime chicken and brewtus of Coors Light at Applebees.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

as with everything in this world, it is about removing oneself from the situation and trying to imagine it from all potential backgrounds.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I finally used a year old gift card yesterday at Outback steakhouse. It was not good.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

For those that like going to nice small independent restaurants without a bunch of families with small annoying kids out after 7pm, you should be grateful that many people enjoy places like Applebees
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:For those that like going to nice small independent restaurants without a bunch of families with small annoying kids out after 7pm, you should be grateful that many people enjoy places like Applebees
Just another reason to not have children haha

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

A statistical fact, unfortunately, since we have most of the capital which leads to the power requisite to run this country. But don't blame us for having that by virtue of intention: we just, through no fault or action on our own, occurred during the best earning and investing period of the last 50 years.

scumdevils86 wrote:When was every asshole billionaire, politician and world leader born? Oh yeah 1945-1965. Nearly every voice that's railing against progressive ideals in this country is a baby boomer.
Another indisputable fact. They are also nearly all white and grew up around cassette tapes and dial-up phones. Clearly there's something evil afoot here.
scumdevils86 wrote:I've also seen at work that the work harder not smarter ideology is rampant amongst boomers. And they generally are the most entitled. They suck at their job but just because they have been working for 35 years that means they think they are worth more.
To be sure, we are tyrannized by our experience. We didn't, in aggregate, have to work smarter, we just had one (sector) job maybe two for our entire life and, as said above, the time component of the wealth building equation reinforced and rewarded that behavior. I began an IRA when I was 19 (in 1976) and through all of its iterations sheltered the maximum legal amount. Through an SEP-IRA without fail I sheltered 25% of my AGI. You are correct, decades later I still have that capital. And also true, I am entitled to the SS I have paid into. I would happily acquit myself of that entitlement if I could shed those "35 years" but since I'm unable...what more should I do instead of vote for progressive policies and give away my considerable wealth at my death?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I am amused reading this thread in observing how some people try and classify other people. But you really can't. It's too complex. I consider more of an urban, or big city, middle class point of view. Try thinking of what a millennial would do in a rural area where they live outside a city, or in a small village or town. This is especially true where there isn't restaurants with chefs, let alone an Applebees type of restaurant close by. Where technology has left them behind. I don't think millennial means much in that case. And that is a big chunk of the country.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Catintheheat wrote:I am amused reading this thread in observing how some people try and classify other people. But you really can't. It's too complex. I consider more of an urban, or big city, middle class point of view. Try thinking of what a millennial would do in a rural area where they live outside a city, or in a small village or town. This is especially true where there isn't restaurants with chefs, let alone an Applebees type of restaurant close by. Where technology has left them behind. I don't think millennial means much in that case. And that is a big chunk of the country.
I've been driving through that big chunk of the country for over a week. From Texas to Montana and back across the western edge of the Great Plains the Millennials here are lost in a thousand yard stare as they have even less influence on their economic and cultural environ than they do within (what we old farts presume they prefer) the cities. Despite the lower cost of housing they have commensurately lower wages and seemingly nothing passionate to do. To us they appear as in hell.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ugly Myspace style story, but still interesting. Just something I was thinking about on the way in too. The GOP fucking up the future of our country really won't affect me, I will be dead, but sucks for my children, and my children's children.

scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

great, great article. should be required reading for anyone born before 1975.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Alieberman wrote:For those that like going to nice small independent restaurants without a bunch of families with small annoying kids out after 7pm, you should be grateful that many people enjoy places like Applebees
We routinely go to small independent restuarant with our kids after 7pm. We've acculturated from 4wks on how to act and behave and have a quick hook to go outside in the (rare) moment one acts up.

I know most here will roll their eyes and say well that's what any parent would say, but trust me when I say the my children are extremely well behaved when we go to these places and charm the hell out of the server with their politeness and respect.

Of course, their is a place for the Cheesecake Factory's and old spaghetti co's( yuck) of the world when we know that that's the scene probably better for the kids in that circumstance.

It's really about knowing your kids, giving them the respect and autonomy for the little beings that they are, and giving gentle corrective action when needed.

I judge other parents more then I do the kids.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The difference between being a millennial and any other generation is simple. If you are a silent or baby boomer or even gen xer and something bad happens in your life when you were in your 20s or 30s.. you could recover. Losing a job, illness, etc. Millennials can't. If you go bankrupt or lose a job or have something bad happen...you're screwed for life since all the Olds raped and pillaged away any backup or safety nets we could've had. It's sad knowing that I'll have to work until I die and never retire since social security and pensions and retirement plans won't exist by the time I'm old.

legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

scumdevils86 wrote:great, great article. should be required reading for anyone born before 1975.
Damn I just posted the same article in the income inequality thread before I saw it here.

The boomers are hopeless. After the midnight senate vote on the tax proposal I posted something like “Fuck these guys and the entitled shitheads who are the only ones who benefit from it” on Facebook. My very wealthy, childless, retired uncle emailed my dad to say he was personally offended and my firm should fire me for that post. Nothing will convince these people to look beyond their own self interest and grievances.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Your uncle sounds like a treat
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Hilarious how all those "establishment squares" and "war profiteers" the boomers protested against 50 years ago never really went away. In many cases, those boomers BECAME them--only more dangerous, entitled, rapacious cannibals to the American dream like lk's uncle.

It is not only the evil of Trump that makes us pine for the relative humanity of Nixon. It is the insatiable appetites of dying boomers akin to Trump that dwarf the avarice of virtually all the all the American "baby-killers" of the 20th century--the ruthless industrialism of Henry Ford possibly excepted.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Like it or not we are heading to socialism in this country. That is the only plausible outcome

And in that exisitance we'll be much like a South American country. The wealthy will be fine and hold all the power and the rest of us with just muddle through, and the upper middle class will take it on the chin.

The American experiment is dead and American capitalism suicided itself.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

And it's about time too. Democratic socialism has proven to be the only political system that can actually somewhat work in the modern world.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Be careful what you wish for and be prepared to live in an increasingly China centeric world.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Thanks a lot...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I ate at Hooters once. Which also means I went into a Hooters once.

Awful food, and if I wanted crappy food and tits, I’d go to a strip club.

Thankfully when I got wise, I realized I could take pictures of the hot girls and often get paid well enough to afford much better wings. One of my favorite subjects now owns her own boudoir studio in Phoenix. Hahaha...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh no! Young people are realizing that a business model based on the leering sexualization of young women is inherently awful? Heavens me!

Hey Millennials.... do gun manufacturers and the oil industry next...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?