Wildfires

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Wildfires

Post by Catintheheat »

I have a friend who now lives in Eugene, Oregon who used to live in Tucson. But she can't even get out of her house now due to wildfires devastating the area. She can't breathe because of the smoke and needs masks desperately. She is able to get the masks within the next couple of days, even though the area is sold out. What I am concerned about is that the public's attention is diverted to Harvey when there are other people in need. And living in Tucson for about 1/4 century I understand what wildfires can do to the air we breathe. Children and the elderly can be especially vulnerable.

What I would like to do is spread the word that wildfires affect more people than just the area it burns. and can cause a lot of medical problems. And I believe that we need a better warning system about the air quality of areas affected. It would be great to teach the public about the dangers of contaminated smoke of wildfires so that it enters the public consciousness. That way they are able to get the masks and supplies quickly that are necessary to survive in a smoke filled environment.

Eugene Oregon is now sold out of respiratory equipment that can help them cope with the smoke resulting from local wildfires.Therefore people are needlessly suffering. They need the right supplies now desperately. This is also happening in Montana and California so the need is great, and will undoubtedly be greater as the climate changes.

I am starting this thread not just for others to be aware where help is needed as wildfires increase, but ideas on how to tackle the suffering of people in areas where there is need. This makes me sad this type of crises doesn't receive the exposure it needs.

Jennifer
Last edited by Catintheheat on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Merkin

Re: Wildfires

Post by Merkin »

There were some wildfires near where I live a couple months ago. The ash on my vehicles was incredible. Can you imagine that going into your lungs?

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Up in Idaho and is so hazy from the Oregon and Montana fires you literally can't see more than a mile in front of you
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We've had smoke and ash all the way here in the Midwest.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Some teenager set off fireworks along the gorge east of Portland...
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Floods, Fires and Trump...

Is this how it all ends?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

azcat49 wrote:Up in Idaho and is so hazy from the Oregon and Montana fires you literally can't see more than a mile in front of you
This air is brutal. Getting out of the Treasure Valley and heading back to Arizona early - going to miss tossing Reengades around the Big Lost this weekend.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

KaibabKat wrote:
azcat49 wrote:Up in Idaho and is so hazy from the Oregon and Montana fires you literally can't see more than a mile in front of you
This air is brutal. Getting out of the Treasure Valley and heading back to Arizona early - going to miss tossing Reengades around the Big Lost this weekend.
Hey you fellas are up here? I can't see the Boise foothills from my downtown office window as we speak, and I live up in the foothills. I can't breath for shit right now. Feels like I smoked three packs of cigarettes while I slept last night. Worst I've experienced in 23 years up here. I think we're getting most of this smoke from the Bearskin Fire east of Deadwood Reservoir. Not that far from here.
BearDown89

Post by BearDown89 »

ASUHATER! wrote:Some teenager set off fireworks along the gorge east of Portland...
This is an absolute shame, especially if caused by human error. As you can tell from the upper picture, the Columbia River Gorge is an incredibly beautiful area and the best part of a road trip to Portland. Will be devastating to the area and the scenery.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Harrowing tale of more than 140 people sticking together on a long overnight hike to escape the the Columbia River Gorge fire at Punchbowl Falls. Some just wearing swimsuits.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/s ... l-neve/#/0" target="_blank

Hate to be the parents of the 15-year-old who apparently caused all of this,
Right where I want to be.