Tipping trade workers

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

phenom5

Tipping trade workers

Post by phenom5 »

Not asking about a tipping in a restaurant or a cab driver. What about a skill trade guy? Never crossed my mind, but a guy at my work says he dropped his tile guy $100 because he did really good work.

My tile guy is working on doing wood plank tile throughout our common area. In the greatroom, it's around a 25' run. He doesn't use spacers because on this tile, according to him they pick up the imperfections and throw off the grout lines. 3/16 grout lines, eyeballed on a 25' run...and he's off over that 25' by 1/16 of an inch. Crazy. Plus he stayed way late on day 1 checking everything.

Dude does quality work...should I tip him for it?
JMarkJohns

Re: Tipping trade workers

Post by JMarkJohns »

Only time I ever tipped a skill industry professional was when one came out on a Sunday night at 8 pm in the dead of winter to fix my heater. Extra mile gets a tip from me.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

I think if you are even contemplating it, that means you should. Life is short, better to throw the dude some cash you'll forget about in 2 weeks than to be left wondering or wishing you would've. You'll get positive karma too. Lowes hauled away some appliances for me recently when I bought new ones and the two guys that came unhooked the water to the fridge for me and didn't knick up my walls and it was really hot out so I gave them some water bottles and $20 for lunch.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Do hookers count?
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Don't they already pad their bills enough that the tip is built in?
;)
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I probably would. I tip pretty much anyone who comes to the house, Home Depot delivery, Dish installer and so on.

However I rarely tip at places that have tip jars out front of the cash registers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've always tipped when getting tattoos. Also, any time something is delivered. I tend to be pretty liberal with both.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I always tip those guys. And movers. When a team of, say, four movers finishes a job, tip them each $20.
gumby

Post by gumby »

No.

I tip when I realize it's part of their compensation arrangement. Is this the case with tile guys? Just had new carpeting installed. Great crew. Did not tip. But, believe me, I spent plenty.

I tipped our rafting guide recently, because I knew that was part of how they get paid.

I write for a living. Nobody tips me. Anybody here get tipped for doing their jobs? Tip a great teacher, say?

If i turn off the AC and visibly sweat (I can set up a camera) can I get tips? If I get on my hands and knees and wear a wife beater would I get tipped?

I don't get tipping skilled workers, unless they do more than expected.
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

gumby wrote:No.

I tip when I realize it's part of their compensation arrangement. Is this the case with tile guys? Just had new carpeting installed. Great crew. Did not tip. But, believe me, I spent plenty.

I tipped our rafting guide recently, because I knew that was part of how they get paid.

I write for a living. Nobody tips me. Anybody here get tipped for doing their jobs? Tip a great teacher, say?

If i turn off the AC and visibly sweat (I can set up a camera) can I get tips? If I get on my hands and knees and wear a wife beater would I get tipped?

You're right about specialized workers. I misunderstood the thread and read it in terms of my handyman, who is a skilled construction worker, but doing non-specialized projects for me. I won't tip the crew who comes and installs my new front door (if they ever get around to it).

But for handy work like putting in new baseboards or installing a new window:

"How much did it come to?"

"$320."

"Let's make it an even $350."

"$350 isn't more even than $320."

"I know but I think you undercharged me." I really do think he undercharges me. I'd ask to see his receipts for the materials, but I don't want to accuse him of dishonesty. I see him underestimate the labor time.

According to Emily Post, the moving guys should be tipped $20 each. I don't know why.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Was Emily Post also married to the cereal king?

Because I sure can't afford that--and really have never entertained such an idea with most of the guys performing service. I tip barbers once in awhile, but not if they screw it up, like they do a fair amount of the time.

There's a guy who installs stuff at my folks' place in Surprise who is a jack-of-all-trades, but he won't even come up to my house in the Verde Valley if I offer to pay gas money.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

gumby wrote:No.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your line of thinking. Most skilled workers probably don't even expect a tip so it's not like they'll be cursing you as they drive away.

And if someone felt their tile installer was real nice and accomodating, got the job done beautifully, wasn't creepy in your house, or any combination of those things - nothing wrong with throwing them an extra $50 bucks or whatever when they leave if you have the money to spare and felt he/she deserved it, even though it wasn't technically 'above and beyond'. The gesture of the tip might even supercede whatever dollar amount if that makes sense, just to let the guy know you appreciated his hard work and he did a good job (I know, I know...they are supposed to do their job, but it can be hard to find people to do good work sometimes).
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah, I can see doing in strategically. So they will come back if you need them again.

But as a matter of course, I'm just not wealthy enough to tip all the workers I encounter. And as a rule, I don't tip those who make more than me. That eliminates a lot of people. :)

If they're fantastic, I tell them I'll be spreading the word.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I do think I should get tipped for my posts. I don't have a compensation agreement.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I generally get 20 percent. Thought that was standard. Oh well.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I always tip. Anyone working on my house or delivering/setting stuff up.

Just had a new deck built. Contractor got $150 extra and his crew got two cases of beer each. And guess who just got a really low bid from the same crew to finish his basement?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

gumby wrote:I generally get 20 percent. Thought that was standard. Oh well.
Longhorned wrote:I do think I should get tipped for my posts. I don't have a compensation agreement.
You guys should try to get on the Kochs' internet forum astroturfing payroll like jefe and dw99 probably have.

Along these same lines: what about tipping restaurant workers when picking up takeout?
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:I always tip. Anyone working on my house or delivering/setting stuff up.

Just had a new deck built. Contractor got $150 extra and his crew got two cases of beer each. And guess who just got a really low bid from the same crew to finish his basement?
I need a small deck rebuilt. Send them my way, but don't mention my policy.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

I get the view point of, "these guys are getting paid enough mentality."

In this case, not only is the work top notch, but he stayed until 6:15 last night, has hauled 2 loads of carpet pad away (after we told his boss that bid the job we'd do it b/c they charge a ridiculous amount), and pulled some base boards in one area free of charge.

Thinking about throwing him a 50 spot and a 6 pack. Chi...he's from Chicago, so should I get him a sixer of Old Style or what?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

phenom5 wrote:
Thinking about throwing him a 50 spot and a 6 pack. Chi...he's from Chicago, so should I get him a sixer of Old Style or what?
First ask if he's Cubs fan or a Sox fan. If he's a Cubs fan I think you're on the right track. If he's a Sox fan just spit in his face.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bruins01 wrote:
gumby wrote:I generally get 20 percent. Thought that was standard. Oh well.
Longhorned wrote:I do think I should get tipped for my posts. I don't have a compensation agreement.
You guys should try to get on the Kochs' internet forum astroturfing payroll like jefe and dw99 probably have.

Along these same lines: what about tipping restaurant workers when picking up takeout?
We should pay 10-15%. I generally do 15%, but sometimes 20%. They do a lot of work to put my food together. Nobody's paying their benefits.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

phenom5 wrote:I get the view point of, "these guys are getting paid enough mentality."

In this case, not only is the work top notch, but he stayed until 6:15 last night, has hauled 2 loads of carpet pad away (after we told his boss that bid the job we'd do it b/c they charge a ridiculous amount), and pulled some base boards in one area free of charge.

Old Style? I thought you liked this guy. The only people who drink Old Style are the people forced to at Wrigley.

Get him a 30 pack of High Life. It will probably only set you back $11.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:I always tip. Anyone working on my house or delivering/setting stuff up.

They only deal in big decks.

ASUCatFan

Post by ASUCatFan »

I never got tipped when I worked construction and I didn't expect it. I once was served lemonade by a homeowner, though, and I thought that was really nice. I imagine getting a tip would have been just as cool.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote:
phenom5 wrote:I get the view point of, "these guys are getting paid enough mentality."

Old Style? I thought you liked this guy. The only people who drink Old Style are the people forced to at Wrigley.

Old Style still exists?

I think I used to pay $4.44 a case in Tucson.

Within the last month, my neighbor the slumlord and I decided we need to replace the common fence. We agreed on my share, and the slumlord hired her handyman to do the fence. For the most part it was pretty good. But the end section was unacceptable. I told him he needs to fix it. He said "no".

So I paid him $716.20 to the penny what I agree on, no tip. Karma kicked in and he was screwed over by the slumlord, but that's a different story.

George Costanza

How much do you tip a chamber maid?

Post by George Costanza »

Ann Landers sucks!
Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

Chicat wrote:

IDK, I thought everyone in Chicago drank that swill.
Longhorned

Re: How much do you tip a chamber maid?

Post by Longhorned »

George Costanza wrote:Ann Landers sucks!
Always, always tip the hotel maids well. Think about their jobs and what they bring home, and the relatives back home waiting to send them money. As if they can afford to pay their own bills.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Longhorned wrote: Always, always tip the hotel maids well. Think about their jobs and what they bring home, and the relatives back home waiting to send them money. As if they can afford to pay their own bills.
I decline maid service. Should I still tip?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Alieberman wrote:
Longhorned wrote: Always, always tip the hotel maids well. Think about their jobs and what they bring home, and the relatives back home waiting to send them money. As if they can afford to pay their own bills.
I decline maid service. Should I still tip?
I don't make the rules. Emily Post says we need to tip for the final clean-up after we've checked out. Emily Post doesn't make the rules either. Just reports on what's needed in the current model of society. $5 per person in the room, basically.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Are we supposed to tip Emily Post? What if she goes the extra paragraph?

If someone does more than they were paid for then it's really not a tip. Had a nanny who did that, and I'd just write a bigger check. Or maybe I just don't know what "tip" means.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Tips should usually be for people that don't get paid minimum wage
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:

They only deal in big decks.

So, once again, size matters. Damn.
Last edited by gumby on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Tipping is great on an individual basis, but in the grand scheme of things it sucks. The more society tips, the less employers have to pay their employees.

My rule is: if I feel like tipping someone, I will. Usually it means that person has gone above and beyond what they really needed to do. So phenom, if you want to tip him, go for it!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

Then there are the cultural differences. Our guide on the rafting trip said half his customers are Canadian. They don't generally tip, he said. When they do, it ain't much.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Merk, I'm sure we all have time to hear if you have the time and disposition to type it up. I've been thinking about doing something similar so if I can avoid the same pitfalls it would be nice. Of course it helps that I don't live next door to a slumlord. And I like a good story about a real piece of work getting what they deserve.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I've replaced fence on all three sides of the backyard (three separate jobs). Only one of the neighbors would split the cost. Fortunately, it was the longest side, and she took care of the arrangements. On that job, they trapped one of her sprinklers on my side. Do-over!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

teemackdee wrote:Merk, I'm sure we all have time to hear if you have the time and disposition to type it up. I've been thinking about doing something similar so if I can avoid the same pitfalls it would be nice. Of course it helps that I don't live next door to a slumlord. And I like a good story about a real piece of work getting what they deserve.

To make a long story short, the slumlord who owns the house next door (bought at the top of the market $150K+ higher than it's worth now) won't put any money into the house. The common fence was falling down, so had to be replaced. She drove up from Thousand Oaks and we agreed to split the costs, where she would furnish the material and I would pay the labor. She then got some bids from Fence Factory, Home Depot and so on.

Then she decides to hire her handyman to do the work. He actually did OK for 90% of the fence, but you can tell it was not a professional job. After buying the wood, the slumlord then refuses to buy cement for the posts, so the handyman has to buy the cement himself. Also since that house is higher than mine, it needs additional wood to hold back the sand/dirt. The handyman had to do provide that himself too.

I'm not really all that concerned, I don't live in an upscale neighborhood, and my other fences aren't that great either, but if I had to do it over again I would have had it put in the contract to get professional fence installers. It will probably take me half an hour so to fix that portion of the fence myself.
teemackdee

Post by teemackdee »

Thanks!
Daryl Zero

Post by Daryl Zero »

Erlich Bachmann: Richard wrote the code, yes, but the inspiration was clear. Let me ask you something. How fast do you think you could jack off every guy in this room? Cause I know how long it would take me. And I could prove it.