2015-16 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: 2015-16 Season Thread

Post by JMarkJohns »

UAEebs86 wrote:Clippers have Jordan locked down in Houston, hoping he'll sign the contract at midnight I guess:
One of the great troll jobs in Twitter history.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I hate the Spurs.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Thanks Danny. All of the mid to late first rounders in the world aren't going to help this team. Always fun to be a 7 or 8 in the putrid east and get swept and then watch guys like Stanley and Winslow still available at 8 in the draft.
Ainge pulled one off on the Wolves with the KG trade, and he's basically spent the rest of his career trying to recapture that magic without success.
Yep. That offseason saved him in Boston. I think he was done for. Pierce was on his way out and he would have had a year or two tops before he was done. I give him credit for getting the Ray Allen deal done; at the time and even now, it wasn't like he stole him (Delonte, Wally and draft rights to Jeff Green), but it was the right move. The KG thing just fell onto his lap after Ray came, and he did give up a lot for him too: at the time, Al Jefferson looked like he was just around the corner from being an all star every season, Gomes looked to be a solid young role player, Gerald Green was young had the potential to blow up at any time, Telfair was disappointing but again a wild card that could have taken a turn for the better, and if I recall, there were a few first round picks involved too. The trade for Rondos rights obviously being very big too.

After the Big 3's first title though, he just sat back and didn't do much to make that team better, while the Lakers and everyone else did get better, and it started with allowing Posey to walk like he was a nobody, we don't win that series without him.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

JMarkJohns wrote:I hate the Spurs.
Damn why couldn't it have been aldridge to back out of his deal and not Jordan...
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

3goggles wrote:
JMarkJohns wrote:I hate the Spurs.
Damn why couldn't it have been aldridge to back out of his deal and not Jordan...
Well, I hated them for that, but my post was specific to them stealing Ray McCallum from Sacramento for a 55-60 range 2nd. They now have a legitimate upside PG who could supplant Parker in a few years, maybe a year, and this year he cost less than 1 million.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Remember when enfuego thanked Sean Miller for getting Zeus so KU could recruit Embiid and got a half a season out of him?

Good times.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sol, Jordan Hill, and Chase about to all be on the same team:
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
I feel bad for Embiid. Like Oden, he didn't deserve this.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Nevertheless, no one beyond the Cavaliers front office had Bennett pegged as a top-10 pick in that draft – never mind No. 1 overall.
I never was a big Bennett fan, but I find that very difficult to believe. That draft class wasn't exactly highly regarded.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TucsonClip wrote:
Nevertheless, no one beyond the Cavaliers front office had Bennett pegged as a top-10 pick in that draft – never mind No. 1 overall.
I never was a big Bennett fan, but I find that very difficult to believe. That draft class wasn't exactly highly regarded.
Since Solomon Hill was drafted in the first round, you are no doubt correct.

Love Solo, but a first rounder?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I've seen much weaker players in times when guys generally stayed 3-4 years in school.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

http://nypost.com/2015/10/07/matt-barne ... g-ex-wife/" target="_blank

Knicks coach Derek Fisher was attacked in Los Angeles by NBA bad boy Matt Barnes, who drove 95 miles to “beat the s—t out of him” when he found out Fisher was romancing his estranged wife, sources told The Post on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-7 Barnes, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, made a fast break from his team’s California training camp Saturday when he was tipped off that Fisher was making time with sultry “Basketball Wives LA” star Gloria Govan in the home Barnes once shared with her.

The NBA is investigating the brawl.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The Warriors put up 82 point at half time on a depleted Rockets squad but this Warriors team is looking better than last year. Bogut dropped 25lbs and is moving a lot better. He did get his nose broken for the 4th time trying to block a dunk last night though lol

Is Steph going to go down as one of the best PGs in NBA history? He has the complete game and its comes so easy to him. He can literally go 1 on 4 and still score. He only needs to raise his shooting percentage 1.5% to pass Kerr for the best 3PT% in NBA history. 45.4% vs 44.0%. We may have 7-10 years left with him too.

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

UAdevil wrote:http://nypost.com/2015/10/07/matt-barne ... g-ex-wife/

Knicks coach Derek Fisher was attacked in Los Angeles by NBA bad boy Matt Barnes, who drove 95 miles to “beat the s—t out of him” when he found out Fisher was romancing his estranged wife, sources told The Post on Wednesday.

The 6-foot-7 Barnes, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, made a fast break from his team’s California training camp Saturday when he was tipped off that Fisher was making time with sultry “Basketball Wives LA” star Gloria Govan in the home Barnes once shared with her.

The NBA is investigating the brawl.
I forgot which of Fisher's teammates said it, but it was something like, "Derek Fisher is a 6 footer with a 7 footers d-ck." Apparently Barnes got the memo and is salty. :lol:
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Good times in Philadelphia:
Embiid’s lax approach to his rehab and the circumstances surrounding the second foot surgery he needed this past summer — which appears like it will cost him the entire 2015–16 season — has caused the organization much anxiety. The simple task of getting Embiid to consistently wear his walking boot was a challenge for the franchise, and multiple sources suggested that some people in Philadelphia’s front office wonder whether a second surgery would have been necessary if Embiid had worn the boot as much as he was told to.

Also, according to multiple sources, Harris did not want Embiid to attend the annual Las Vegas Summer League this past July so they could proceed with the surgery on his navicular bone. Brown and Hinkie were both given strict instructions by Harris to keep Embiid from going to Vegas, yet each of them put the onus on the other to handle the job, and neither did.

Embiid was determined to go to Vegas to party for the balance of the 10 days of summer league. While Embiid was in Vegas, he was mandated to wear the walking boot in advance of the second surgery, but Embiid not only refused to wear the boot, but he carried himself as if nothing was wrong with the foot, shooting jumpers and even occasionally dunking. These actions have given rise to the theory that Embiid actually re-broke his foot, rather than the initial injury not healing properly. It also led to Embiid having the surgery a month later than the club originally had hoped.

This type of disregard for instruction also extends to Embiid’s dietary habits. Per a source, the Sixers’ training staff was so concerned about what he was eating, they stocked the refrigerator in his downtown hotel residence each week with healthy food. When a staffer went to restock the fridge each week, most everything was uneaten and unopened, and they were throwing out the fruits and vegetables every week. When the team subsequently asked to see Embiid’s room service bill, they found that most days he was ordering junk food along with his signature beverage, a pitcher of Shirley Temples. Embiid also was frequently seen feasting on chicken fingers and hot dogs at and after games.
http://www.si.com/thecauldron/2015/10/1 ... wn-process
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Holy shit, I can't breathe...

That shit is HILARIOUS!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Woj did a long, detailed write-up of the LaMarcus Aldridge chase this past summer. Turns out the rumors that the Suns came out of nowhere to take the lead in the chase were true. Suns were the front runner until LMA had a meeting with Pat Riley. While trying to convince him to join the Heat, Riley inadvertently convinced him that the Spurs were the team he should sign with.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/five-days- ... soc_trk=fb" target="_blank
The Suns brought coaches and players, including assistant Earl Watson, an ex-Blazers teammate who had a strong bond with Aldridge. Before moving into a conference room, everyone was saying hello, shaking hands and suddenly: There was one of the centers that Aldridge had requested.
“I could tell LaMarcus was confused, sort of like, ‘What’s he doing here? What’s going on?’ ” McDonough told Yahoo. “And then he realized what was happening.”

This changed everything in the process. Aldridge met with Eric Bledsoe and Brandon Knight. He studied the Suns’ roster, the salary cap space, and understood that a young center, Alex Len, would be the understudy to eventually replace the 33-year-old Chandler. McDonough made a convincing case to Aldridge about turning him into the face of the franchise, transforming the Valley of the Sun into his marketing platform.

“I get to the meeting, walk in and they have [Chandler] there,” Aldridge told Yahoo. “That spoke volumes about how serious they were about signing me – and how much they wanted to win.

“They went from just being an option to being at the top of my list.”
The Heat didn’t have the salary cap space to sign Aldridge, and Riley’s wish for Aldridge to sign a one-year deal with Portland and wait for the Heat’s space in 2016 was a most unappealing proposition. Nevertheless, Riley made a case to Aldridge that turned out to be an immense blessing for the franchise that had obliterated the Heat in the 2014 NBA Finals. As the idea of joining the Suns gained real momentum, Riley’s message would go a long, long way toward validating the Spurs’ cause. Truth be told, Riley’s words resonated as deeply with Aldridge as anyone’s in the process.

“He told me, ‘You’re a good player, but you can be great,’ ” Aldridge told Yahoo. “I’ve had good seasons on my own, but to win, you’ve got to have other big-time guys with you. When you have other guys who are willing to take that sacrifice with you – maybe you all go from averaging 23-24 points to 18-19 points – and you can all do it together.

“He was saying, ‘Hey, you might have to take a lesser role, but at the end of the day, you want to be known as a champion. Champions have to do different things.’ He brought up Chris Bosh, how he was averaging 21 in Toronto, and came to Miami, and people tried to say he wasn’t important. He told me, ‘We don’t win any of those championships rings without him,’ [and] that [Bosh] wouldn’t trade those rings for anything.

“Eventually, it becomes a road in your career, whether you have to decide whether you want to keep having these crazy stats, or do you want to win a championship?”

On the night of July 2, with Popovich returning for a lunch meeting the next day, Riley had delivered an unintended assist to the Spurs. He had turned Aldridge’s mind back toward San Antonio, setting the stage for Popovich to close the deal. “Yeah, the things [Riley] said were definitely more positive for me coming to San Antonio,” Aldridge told Yahoo.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LMAO @ Embiid. So he got his money and it's a wrap for him? What an idiot?

Regardless of all that, this early it still doesn't look like that terrible of a pick if he doesn't completely throw in the towel.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Pretty damn scary that the Warriors are even better than they were a year ago. And they were historically good last year
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya we are witnessing history. I think this team breaks 70 wins

Last night might be one of the best games of the year

Great Iggy/Walton Q&A: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2 ... ke-walton/" target="_blank
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Yea hard to imagine the Warriors losing more than a dozen times this year barring injuries. They have been pretty fortunate health-wise (but I'm hoping that continues).

Doing all this, and they don't even have their coach! Great to see Walton on the sidelines.

Is there a timetable for Kerr's return? Or just seeing how his back progresses playing it by ear?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Kerr made the trip to LA but wasnt on the floor. Im hoping he is back in a week or two. No news on him lately at all, really worried for him.

He wrote a letter to a fan who had the same injury:

http://www.knbr.com/2015/11/10/steve-ke ... k-surgery/" target="_blank

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Luke Walton NBA head coaching record: 16-0. Who would have thought in a million years that would happen?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote:Luke Walton NBA head coaching record: 16-0. Who would have thought in a million years that would happen?
Stupid NBA rules though say his record is still 0-0.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Apparently, Not the most fun to have KG on your team:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14172 ... in-garnett
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:
84Cat wrote:Luke Walton NBA head coaching record: 16-0. Who would have thought in a million years that would happen?
Stupid NBA rules though say his record is still 0-0.
Yeah, but it helps Kerr's historic record, so it's just one Wildcat assisting another.

Walton will be getting a head coaching gig next offseason.

While many will say it's easy to coach a champion, most know it's a difficult situation made more difficult by expectations of greatness, and a few injuries.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Walton has an incredibly difficult job. How many defending champions come out the next season totally flat because of a collective feeling of accomplishment and having arrived? On top of that, being an assistant (and not a very vocal one at that), how easy would it have been for some of those guys to just tune him out?

Kudos to Steph, Klay, AI, Draymond, etc. for stepping up to the challenge, but so much credit has to flow Walton's way. The only question is, can he run his own system?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Chicat wrote:Walton has an incredibly difficult job. How many defending champions come out the next season totally flat because of a collective feeling of accomplishment and having arrived? On top of that, being an assistant (and not a very vocal one at that), how easy would it have been for some of those guys to just tune him out?

Kudos to Steph, Klay, AI, Draymond, etc. for stepping up to the challenge, but so much credit has to flow Walton's way. The only question is, can he run his own system?
There are system coaches and situation coaches. Both can have success.

I'm not sure which Walton is, but I tend to believe he's the latter, and if he is, he can bring in system assistants and just worry about coaching the player and the situations like tactics, strategy, and in-game.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, outside of coaches like Jackson with a hard/fast system, it's better to be situational like Popovich, Carlisle recently. Each adjusts to their players and adapts to the game's needs.

It will be fun to see his evolution as a coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

JMarkJohns wrote:It will be fun to see his evolution as a coach.
Absolutely.

AND...

We may just get that Lute Olson coaching tree we've been yearning for to cement his all-time legacy.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Chicat wrote:
Absolutely.

AND...

We may just get that Lute Olson coaching tree we've been yearning for to cement his all-time legacy.
what...pastner and oneill didn't do it for you?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

scumdevils86 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Absolutely.

AND...

what...pastner and oneill didn't do it for you?
Not even Jay John....
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Jahlil Okafor lets a Celtics fan troll him into an argument and eventually knocks his ass out. Losing every game has both short term and long term consequences for players. You gotta be smarter than that though, but I guess when youre essentially on a team full of rookies (or at least dudes who are rookie age) theres no vets to keep their eye out on you, or teach you lessons on how to be an adult off the court, avoid being trapped by these hoes, how to handle drunk babbling idiots, etc.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Kobe is dead last this season among volume (200+ shots) shooters in terms of FG effectiveness, 57th out of 57.

Not an easy thing to bring up, but...

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Nice!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:Kobe is dead last this season among volume (200+ shots) shooters in terms of FG effectiveness, 57th out of 57.

Hey, look at Kobe simply not giving a fuck with ten seconds left on the shot clock...
So this is the retirement tour, huh? Will teams build Kobe a house to commemorate all his bricks like MLB teams made rocking chairs out of Mariano Rivera broken bats?
Kobe shot 17 threes, missing all but 4 of them. That's just hilarious.

Fire Byron Scott for allowing Kobe to make a mockery of him, a once proud franchise, and the entire game of basketball.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

The sixers are so unbelievably terrible.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

This is unbelievable. 3rd year playing together

http://ballislife.com/nick-young-gets-h ... 50-boosts/" target="_blank

NICK YOUNG GETS HIS FIRST CAREER ASSIST TO KOBE BRYANT

Young felt so good, he scored 13 points on 5 of 10 shooting and had 1 historic assist: his assist in the 2nd quarter to Kobe Bryant was his first assist to Bryant in 451 minutes (two and a half seasons) of playing time
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Maybe the Knicks should stop hitting up the clubs...

Knicks forward Cleanthony Early robbed, shot outside club

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14465 ... ng-reports" target="_blank
the real dill

Post by the real dill »

Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Luke is available now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That's the #1 team in the East. Heh....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »