Post by Longhorned »

Nice win on the road.
84Cat

Re: Lakers

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Was watching last night’s big win and wondering how long until Giannis is a Laker. That’s how this works.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Feelin' it. Bring on the playoffs now.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Longhorned wrote:Feelin' it. Bring on the playoffs now.
Good win today. Hopefully Bradley plays like that for the rest of the season
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

84Cat wrote:
Bradley's shooting was big time. 24 pts 33 mins. Not sure but might have been his best as a Laker.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... vx;dt;fp;1;;" target="_blank
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

HiCat wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Bradley's shooting was big time. 24 pts 33 mins. Not sure but might have been his best as a Laker.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... vx;dt;fp;1;;" target="_blank
Honestly might be the best game of his career. SMH.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I didn't mean it like that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Lakers make groundbreaking hire for Director of Racial Equity & Action

by Ashish Mathur
June 18, 2020

Dr. Brown will create a curriculum to help the Lakers enrich their knowledge on today’s most urgent racial topics in the wake of the tragic murder of George Floyd at the hands of policemen in Minnesota:

“We are very happy to have Dr. Brown join the team,” Lakers COO Tim Harris said. “She will play a key role in implementing educational programming on race and racism for our employees and helping us focus on racial equity in our day-to-day functions, as well as empowering the organization to identity ways to be more active participants in affecting real change.”

Dr. Brown is a tenure-track assistant professor in both the department of African American studies and sociology at UCLA. Her work has been supported by national foundations such as the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the Hellman Fellows

https://clutchpoints.com/lakers-news-lo ... ty-action/" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Frank Vogel: JR Smith, Dion Waiters Bring ‘Toughness And Swag’ To Lakers

https://lakersnation.com/frank-vogel-jr ... 020/07/19/" target="_blank
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

LMAO
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

I wish I could watch these Lakers game but you have to have Spectrum here in LA to be able to watch. Total BS.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

UofAlum05 wrote:I wish I could watch these Lakers game but you have to have Spectrum here in LA to be able to watch. Total BS.
This is how I have been watching the games. They aren't live but he posts them within 24 hrs and he cuts out all the excess bs

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The Lakers advance to the Western Conference Finals for the first time in 10 years

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/202 ... ring-stats" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I’ve got a good friend who loves the Rockets and slobs Harden’s knob regularly.

He’s been super quiet since game 3.

I, a lifelong Lakers fan, have also been quiet. Not a peep out of me.

But I’m thinking of sending him a singing telegram to remind him that Harden sucks a dead dog’s ass at everything but racking up stats in the regular season.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Chicat wrote:I’ve got a good friend who loves the Rockets and slobs Harden’s knob regularly.

But I’m thinking of sending him a singing telegram to remind him that Harden sucks a dead dog’s ass at everything but racking up stats in the regular season.
You should do it. I can't stand how the rockets play and same for Harden. Enjoyed seeing the Lakers win.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Lando05 wrote:
Chicat wrote:I’ve got a good friend who loves the Rockets and slobs Harden’s knob regularly.

You should do it. I can't stand how the rockets play and same for Harden. Enjoyed seeing the Lakers win.
Luckily the song pretty much writes itself...

I'm sorry you didn't get your wish
Even though Harden flops like a fish
I know you really wanted a big win
But Harden would rather date a Kardashian
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I know the Lakers have Lebron and AD which would make just about any other team contenders but I am increasingly impressed with Vogel. Some of his coaching moves in the last 2 series (lineup and Defense) have been superb.

I'm hoping for a Lakers-Celtics championship. Would be the Lakers 17th title in franchise history which would tie Boston for the all-time lead.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

EastCoastCat wrote:I know the Lakers have Lebron and AD which would make just about any other team contenders but I am increasingly impressed with Vogel. Some of his coaching moves in the last 2 series (lineup and Defense) have been superb.

I'm hoping for a Lakers-Celtics championship. Would be the Lakers 17th title in franchise history which would tie Boston for the all-time lead.

LeBron James May Call the Plays But Frank Vogel Still Designs the Scheme!

https://medium.com/@LakerTom/while-lebr ... e575c9d82e" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVhUvyppLpI" target="_blank
Anthony Davis
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

LeBron was an animal last night to close out the Nuggets. He had 38 points, 16 rebounds, and 10 assists. They are finally playing defense too. On to the NBA finals

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

1 more win for the Lakers 17th 'ship. Been waiting to catch the Celtics all my life.

Last night was an old school contest with no easy points and high intensity throughout the game.

I am really impressed with Spoelstra and the Heat. They will be a team to reckon with if they stay healthy.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat wrote:1 more win for the Lakers 17th 'ship. Been waiting to catch the Celtics all my life.

Last night was an old school contest with no easy points and high intensity throughout the game.

I am really impressed with Spoelstra and the Heat. They will be a team to reckon with if they stay healthy.
Yep, same. I've been a fan since 72 so it's been a long time coming. Miles Simon is a part of it too
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

84Cat wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:1 more win for the Lakers 17th 'ship. Been waiting to catch the Celtics all my life.

Yep, same. I've been a fan since 72 so it's been a long time coming. Miles Simon is a part of it too
Nice. I've been a fan just as long. In fact, I was at Game 7 of the '69 Series against the Celtics as a kid when Don Nelson got that friggin lucky bounce on a steal attempt by Keith Erickson to help beat the Lakers for like the 7th time in a row. Made me cry not only because the Lakers lost but I wanted to see Jack Kent Cooke's balloons come down from the rafters. :cry:
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

If you've been following the Lakers since the '68-'69 season, you've got me beat by a year. I had to go back and read up about that season in old Sports Illustrateds when I found myself hooked on basketball. There was a lot of stuff written at that time about Jerry West, and he became my favorite player (partly due to some level of sympathy at the number of times he was denied a title by running into the Bill Russell Celtics.) In '69-'70, Wilt got a knee injury early in the season, and West led the NBA in scoring to carry the Lakers until Chamberlain could return in the playoffs. I loved watching that team, and hoped they could get redemption. But, with Russell retired, the east coast media all but anointed the Knicks the title on opening day. I think even their towel boy had a book out by Christmas: How We'll Win The Title. Really pissed me off. So I also rooted for Earl Monroe and the Bullets to knock them off, which eventually did a year or two later; killed me when he went to the Knicks. And it killed me when they shot up Willis Reed's knee (medical malpractice today?) and they won Game 7. Laker fandom has been an on-again-off-again thing for me since then, depending on how I felt about the roster of the team. I acknowlege James' greatness and appreciate having him on the team, but I root more individually for Anthony Davis, Alex Caruso, etc. Obviously I've been a maniac about it whenever they've played the Celtics, so I'll be interested in how much the media plays up the 17th title to tie them all-time.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Damn, I thought my fandom went back a long way.

Moved to LA in ‘80 as a very young child so lots of my first sports memories were of the Showtime era. Worthy and Scott and Rambis ... and of course Magic and Kareem. They were literal gods to me and the fast break was scripture.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:Damn, I thought my fandom went back a long way.

Moved to LA in ‘80 as a very young child so lots of my first sports memories were of the Showtime era. Worthy and Scott and Rambis ... and of course Magic and Kareem. They were literal gods to me and the fast break was scripture.

Hey Chi, how long did you live in LA?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

HiCat wrote:Hey Chi, how long did you live in LA?
‘80-‘88, then moved to New York.

Never lost my Lakers or Rams love, but quit rooting for the Dodgers mainly because I didn’t become a big fan of baseball until after I moved away.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:
HiCat wrote:Hey Chi, how long did you live in LA?
‘80-‘88, then moved to New York.

Never lost my Lakers or Rams love, but quit rooting for the Dodgers mainly because I didn’t become a big fan of baseball until after I moved away.

Cool.

Jeezz I'm old. These guys were playing when I started paying attention to the Lakers. :lol: :roll:

Starting lineup:

Center: Wilt Chamberlain

Forward: Elgin Baylor

Guard: Jerry West

Guard: Dick Barnett

Forward: Happy Hairston

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/131 ... -1960-2010" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

You’re not old. Just well-seasoned. ;)
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Don't forget Johnny Egan and Mel Counts.

(On the other hand, go ahead and forget about them.) :lol:
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:You’re not old. Just well-seasoned. ;)
Yes he is. I've seen younger faces on money.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azgreg wrote:
Chicat wrote:You’re not old. Just well-seasoned. ;)
Yes he is. I've seen younger faces on money.
:lol:
Pretty funny Az. I needed a good laugh. Kind of reminds me of the old site wolf sessions. :P
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Rondo! Lakers left no f'cn doubt.

Rajon Rondo reacts to winning NBA championship with Lakers

https://www.talkbasket.net/107796-rajon ... ith-lakers" target="_blank

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/300 ... miami-heat" target="_blank
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

People saying this championship is somehow “tainted” are morons. Lakers went through what any other team would have had to in order to hoist the trophy.

But it does feel different. Maybe it was even harder this year, I don’t know.

Congrats to the Lake Show. Wear it with pride.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Winning number 17 is sweet.

Kudos to Vogel for making that starting lineup adjustment - starting Caruso, James guarding Butler, AD protecting the paint and the other 3 chasing the perimeter. The defense was smothering which led to fast-break points and ultimately putting the game away by the second quarter.

The whole team's commitment to defense, including James, was the key to this championship run. Not to mention a little Playoff Rondo.

I'm glad the Lakers could do it for the Bryant family and the late Dr. Buss.

As Kobe would say "Mamba Out".
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:People saying this championship is somehow “tainted” are morons. Lakers went through what any other team would have had to in order to hoist the trophy.

But it does feel different. Maybe it was even harder this year, I don’t know.

Congrats to the Lake Show. Wear it with pride.

The atmosphere was difficult.. (bubble, c19, political issues/ statements, longer season etc)
Lakers were interviewed after the game. A few mentioned how difficult it was in the bubble without
the family or other support. Yeah, it's nba bball, others have it tougher at work, but in terms of playoffs this was harder vs. "normal" games. There appeared to be no home team game advantages, so younger
teams had it better/ easier? Seemed more like scrimmages vs. playoff atmosphere with raging fans yelling and screaming at you when you f'cd up or made a great shot.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

There's been a little bit of discussion about the Lakers catching the Celtics with the 17 titles (mostly in the LA media.) But, I think it's significant to look at the last 50 years. In that time, the Lakers have been to 20 Finals, and they've won 11 titles. In the same time period, the Celtics have been to 9 Finals and won 6 titles for roughly half the accomplishment. And the Lakers have a 3-2 head-to-head advantage when playing them for the championship. So is there really any discussion about who's the greatest team in anything like a modern era time frame? I concede that nobody cares about the George Mikan Laker teams in the early 50's. And the Celtics got started in the era of Bob Cousy & Bill Sharman putting up set shots, shooting underhanded free throws, and dealing with barrel-chested 6-6 centers who put up sweeping flat-footed hook shots. Bill Russell was great and revolutionized the game. But, when he wasn't dueling Wilt, who often wasn't on a contending team, He played against Bob Pettit and the Hawks, with Pettit being more of a power forward, and "doughnut" Laker teams with the likes of Jim Krebs and Darrall Imhoff playing center. I'd say what the Celtics did in maybe Russell's last three years would qualify as modern basketball and is worthy of great respect. But, frankly, some of their accomplishments prior to that time were against what I'd consider pretty flawed teams, or consist of historical oddities like the Mikan teams from a time when teams had southpaws playing "Left Guard" and "Left Forward" because players often couldn't dribble or shoot layups with both hands. I'll just leave it at:

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Report: Anthony Davis plans to opt out of $28.7M option, but will re-sign with Lakers

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-anthony ... 55112.html" target="_blank
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Report: Lakers worked out promising young Arizona playmaker on Tuesday

Nov 12
Sources: Lakers worked out Arizona point PG Nico Mannion Tuesday in Arizona. Lakers VP of basketball operations/GM Rob Pelinka was among Lakers at workout. Lakers have 28th pick in NBA draft on Wednesday. Mannion is 6-3, 190, averaged 14 points, 5.3 assists last season.

https://lakersdaily.com/report-lakers-w ... n-tuesday/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So the Lakers let Dwight Howard walk and instead sign sixth man of the year Montrezl Harrell?

Fuck yes.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

LeBron James Reacts To Lakers Adding Montrezl Harrell, Wesley Matthews, Dennis Schroder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSk5qzy2DdU

Dogs ;)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I really like these moves. Pelinka is killing it. Sure, Rondo had a good playoffs and Dwight was pretty good but these guys are definitely upgrades. Hopefully they all fit in without any drama
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Signed Marc Gasol in free agency and traded JaVale McGee. How good is Marc these days? He's 35 so not much longer to play
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
·
9h
Marc Gasol is finalizing a deal to sign with the Lakers, sources tell me and @ZachLowe_NBA

Sounds like he can still give good minutes.
However, while he’s no longer as prolific a scorer as he was during his days with the Grizzlies, Gasol can still knock down three-pointers (38.5% in ’19/20) and facilitate an offense from the top of the key. He also remains a very effective defender, which will be important in Los Angeles.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/11/lak ... gasol.html

Lakers Swing Another Trade, Marc Gasol Coming Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqRL4Abf1Yw