Any Runners?

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Catintheheat

Any Runners?

Post by Catintheheat »

I've run off and on for many years. I used to run at Reid Park 3 miles three times/week. Sometimes 4. When I moved to Phoenix I ran for 4 miles 3 times/week. But I stopped because I moved away from the place I could run.

Now that I know the are I live I started running again at Phoenix College. I'm preparing for my first 10k run in November. But, as usual, I overdid it and developed a minor case of achillies tendinitis. So this needs to heal before I can run again. I don't want to stop preparing and was suggested to run a stationery bike or stair climber instead, and to work on the calf muscle. There is an exercise device called a roller that is supposed to strengthen the calf muscle. And then there there is an exercise where you stand on a stair and raise and lower your foot.

I was wondering if anyone had advice or know a good training regimen to prepare for long distance running.

Why am I doing this? Because it is there. And because at age 56 I want to keep in shape as long as I can, and think this is something I can do.
84Cat

Re: Any Runners?

Post by 84Cat »

I'm a cyclist so that doesn't help but from being around injured cyclist, I can tell you my best advice is to find a physical therapist who is either a runner or triathlete. If you have good insurance they will cover it. We pay $30/session which is worth it because then you are not shooting in the dark. PT's know how to fix this type of stuff.