World Cup 2014

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by 84Cat »

I can't believe it...That fucking sucks!
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

That sucked
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

snatching a draw from the jaws of victory
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That was horrible
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Still a positive result. Go Portugal vs Ghana
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

5 minutes of injury time is bullshit.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol knew that was coming. So Germany is at 6 US at 4 Portugal is at 1 and Ghana at 1. This means we need at least a tie against Germany and for Ghana to beat Portugal right?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Salty

Post by Salty »

This is why soccer with never catch on in the United States.

Stoppage time? What a joke concept.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Lol knew that was coming. So Germany is at 6 US at 4 Portugal is at 1 and Ghana at 1. This means we need at least a tie against Germany and for Ghana to beat Portugal right?
Germany is at 4. We need a tie.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

ASUHATER! wrote:Lol knew that was coming. So Germany is at 6 US at 4 Portugal is at 1 and Ghana at 1. This means we need at least a tie against Germany and for Ghana to beat Portugal right?
Germany is at 4.

We can lose to Germany and still advance if Portugal wins. Portugal -4 GD. They're pretty much done.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's a punch in the gut.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Has a tie ever felt more like a loss?
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Say we lose by 2 vs Germany. Portugal needs a 3 goal win vs Ghana to force a draw of lots.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This game was perfect in every way for me. I went into it greedy and got slapped back to futbol reality with a smarting WTF! Stay futbol, futbol.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:That's a punch in the gut.

Yes, that hurt ...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

advances with:

- Win/draw vs Germany OR
- Loss & POR-GHA draw OR
- Loss & win tiebreaker vs POR-GHA winner
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Portugal-Ghana Tie = US through
US tie or win = US through

Ghana -1 goal differential
Portugal -4 goal differential

Ghana is the biggest threat to the second spot.

It sucks we lost it at the last minute but a tie still puts the US in a great position to advance.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

Germany and US both at 4

Portugal and Ghana at 1
Last edited by 77HoyaCat4Ever on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I would have taken a Ghana win and a Portugal tie before the World Cup began. Germany didn't look invincible last game, and US played one of its best soccer games I have seen.

My biggest question is how the nerves of Cameron will work out.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Bradley's & Cameron fault
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Let's be honest, going into this game, almost all of us would have been happy with a draw. But, oh so close, it couldn't have been closer to winning while not.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

I
I Believe
I Believe I
I Believe I will
I Believe I will eat fish tacos!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bradley is garbage.

Him and his father have something in common; choking in big games.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

NYCat wrote:Bradley's & Cameron fault
The give away by Bradley was really bad. I mean just as bad as Camerons miss kick bad.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That pretty little whiney bitch Ronaldo plays like a dead dog's testicles for 95 minutes and then pulls a sweet pass out of the place his buttplug usually resides to crush my hopes and dreams.

I hope he has a debilitating eyebrow waxing injury and has to retire effective immediately.
77HoyaCat4Ever

Post by 77HoyaCat4Ever »

I still think that we advance.

Except for the first minute and the last 30 seconds, that was some of the best futbol I've ever seen the US play.

Not piling on, but I think Bradley is lackadaisical. Doesn't play all out, lazy passes, and no way he should have given the ball away at midfield with under a minute left. I want someone at midfield that plays hard.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

We should be fine. Damn near broke my laptop when Dempsey scored lol
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

77HoyaCat4Ever wrote:I still think that we advance.

Except for the first minute and the last 30 seconds, that was some of the best futbol I've ever seen the US play.

Not piling on, but I think Bradley is lackadaisical. Doesn't play all out, lazy passes, and no way he should have given the ball away at midfield with under a minute left. I want someone at midfield that plays hard.
Here here Hoya, I agree, that was the best I've ever seen the US play since starting to follow them in 2006.

Bradley's head is in the clouds. Even my wife who doesn't follow the game was noticing.

I don't like Ronaldo, but he is a hell of a player and that cross pass was right on the money. All power to Messi's precision.

Kinda like USC in the Carroll era. You could hate them, but you had to respect them.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

FTR, I disdain, Lalas's "yay america" commentary, if you can call it that.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Bradley has been bad in this tournament but it definitely isn't a reflection of who or how good he is as a player. I don't think he's lackadaisical. I think he had trouble with Ghana's speed and it seemed like that got into his head and that carried over somewhat into today's match, and it compounded when he missed that wide open shot on goal.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Zusi and Cameron are the two worst starters for any team in this tournament.

Fucking Klinsi could really use Edu and Landon right now because you can't keep playing Zusi and neither a Jones or Bradley can play the way they did today on three days rest. Way too much mileage on them in the first two games.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Ghana is probably going to crush Portugal
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

Well Zusi came on as a sub and served the corner that won the first game. He also played a part in the first goal today. He wasn't great today but I think you're overreacting. Cameron's first mistake today was awful but I think he played a good game after that. Sure, maybe he should have got a head on that last ball but it really was a great cross by Ronaldo IMO.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Zusi's has two assists, can't be that bad.

Brooks off a cross against Ghana.
Dempsey for #2 today.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:Bradley is garbage.

Him and his father have something in common; choking in big games.
You probably shouldn't comment on a sport you apparently know very little about. Mikey has been awesome in numerous clutch games. Bob's team won their WC qualifying group and WC group. In the Confed Cup they got a huge win they needed against Egypt and then broke Spain's winning streak to beat them in their prime.

You sound like CG97 with his impressive streak of overly emotional posts completely devoid of rational thought.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

No defense is getting that cross from CR7...
The mistake was playing at midfield.
FTR, I love what Klinsi is doing with the young guys and substitutions.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

thenewazcats wrote:Well Zusi came on as a sub and served the corner that won the first game. He also played a part in the first goal today. He wasn't great today but I think you're overreacting. Cameron's first mistake today was awful but I think he played a good game after that. Sure, maybe he should have got a head on that last ball but it really was a great cross by Ronaldo IMO.
Look at how much we have conceded defensively when Zusi is on the field. Look at the balls that have run past him because he's too goddamned slow to play at this level. There's more to the game than you're apparently seeing.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

CalStateTempe wrote:No defense is getting that cross from CR7...
The mistake was playing at midfield.
FTR, I love what Klinsi is doing with the young guys and substitutions.
Nope the mistake was Cameron losing the only man making a run. Indefensible for a central defender.

Klinsi got the subs wrong. They had no effect and only Yedlin is young. I have no idea why Omar wasn't even in the frame. He was on there for one reason and didn't get back.
Last edited by legallykenny on Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

legallykenny wrote:
thenewazcats wrote:Well Zusi came on as a sub and served the corner that won the first game. He also played a part in the first goal today. He wasn't great today but I think you're overreacting. Cameron's first mistake today was awful but I think he played a good game after that. Sure, maybe he should have got a head on that last ball but it really was a great cross by Ronaldo IMO.
Look at how much we have conceded defensively when Zusi is on the field. Look at the balls that have run past him because he's too goddamned slow to play at this level. There's more to the game than you're apparently seeing.
Let's see, we controlled the ball almost the entire game, the first goal was all on Cameron's gaffe and the second had nothing to do with Zusi. I agree that he's not fast, he is slow, he did have his poor moments today but they didn't cost us and you're overreacting. I'm seeing the game just fine.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

legallykenny wrote:
Thanks for the tips, I'll look for them next game.

Love the nuance of the game and when played at a high level, its beautiful.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

LegallyKenny coming out with the weakest of comments. The ole you obviously don't know the sport if you don't see it my way. Weak.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

thenewazcats wrote:
legallykenny wrote:
Let's see, we controlled the ball almost the entire game, the first goal was all on Cameron's gaffe and the second had nothing to do with Zusi. I agree that he's not fast, he is slow, he did have his poor moments today but they didn't cost us and you're overreacting. I'm seeing the game just fine.
Two of the three goals have come right over where Zusi should have been. He's lost numerous runners to the point it's actually shocking. His dead balls today were laughable. There's a reason he's an MLS player with no foreign interest.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

legallykenny wrote:Zusi and Cameron are the two worst starters for any team in this tournament.

Fucking Klinsi could really use Edu and Landon right now because you can't keep playing Zusi and neither a Jones or Bradley can play the way they did today on three days rest. Way too much mileage on them in the first two games.
Zusi wasn't meant to be a starter. He is a starter due to injuries. Although claiming that he is the worse starter is clearly hyperbole, have you seen Cameroon or Honduras? He isn't a top 15 starter, but it is what is. Landon wouldn't be a RM or LM for Klinsi anyways, so its moot.

Who the hell should start ahead of Cameron? Brooks and Besler is clearly the future but you couldn't have guessed that before the tournament.

My complaint is that Mix should have came on for Bradley around the 75th minute because Bradley was done at that point. Zusi still had gas to put in the effort.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

legallykenny wrote:Two of the three goals have come right over where Zusi should have been. He's lost numerous runners to the point it's actually shocking. His dead balls today were laughable. There's a reason he's an MLS player with no foreign interest.
Zusi should have been in the middle of the box on which of today's goals? Are you really putting that last goal on Zusi? And you're telling me I'm not seeing the game?

And the goal that Ghana scored was his fault? LOL. That was the best sequence of the tournament by any team.

Zusi is slower than a lot of world class soccer players, something we don't have an abundance of, yet he's held his own, hasn't cost us ANY goals in this tournament and has contributed to two of them. You're a douche for coming out with the YOU SHOULDN'T COMMENT ON A SPORT YOU DON'T KNOW BS. GTFO with that elitist garbage, especially when you're flat out wrong.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

legallykenny wrote: Two of the three goals have come right over where Zusi should have been. He's lost numerous runners to the point it's actually shocking. His dead balls today were laughable. There's a reason he's an MLS player with no foreign interest.
Wait. What three goals should have been from him being lost?

I will just give you the Ghana goal. Portugal first and second goal had nothing to do with Zusi. You also forgetting the set piece that won the Ghana game. your just picking random facts.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Forgot to add that the Yeldin sub was perfectly used. Wondo sub was fine, but again I thought Bradley was done before Dempsey was.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So thoughts on "mutually assured advancement"?

Maybe Germany and US both realize what they have and want to rest up for the knock out stages.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

thenewazcats wrote:
legallykenny wrote:Two of the three goals have come right over where Zusi should have been. He's lost numerous runners to the point it's actually shocking. His dead balls today were laughable. There's a reason he's an MLS player with no foreign interest.
Zusi should have been in the middle of the box on which of today's goals? Are you really putting that last goal on Zusi? And you're telling me I'm not seeing the game?

And the goal that Ghana scored was his fault? LOL. That was the best sequence of the tournament by any team.

Zusi is slower than a lot of world class soccer players, something we don't have an abundance of, yet he's held his own, hasn't cost us ANY goals in this tournament and has contributed to two of them. You're a douche for coming out with the YOU SHOULDN'T COMMENT ON A SPORT YOU DON'T KNOW BS. GTFO with that elitist garbage, especially when you're flat out wrong.
Goal against Ghana and first goal today both came over our right side because Zusi wasn't able to stop the ball down his wing. But you're apparently really into dishonest interpretations of my posting - what I would expect from someone so limited in his understanding of the game. Go over to bigsoccer and see what the respected posters over there (not that idiots who just opened accounts in the past month to trash scapegoats du jour) think of Zusi's game. Almost unanimous that he was utter garbage.

And with that, we're done because you're apparently an KC fan who isn't actually watching the games (and can't read my posts you're trying pitifully to respond to) so I'm not going to waste my time.