World Cup 2014

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: World Cup 2014

Post by azgreg »

I gotcha you. I was looking at that backwards.
Zero

Post by Zero »

That being said they are screwed. :lol:
Katzenfreund

Post by Katzenfreund »

Last edited by Katzenfreund on Thu May 07, 2015 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

The Ticos have qualified (and have a very decent chance to win the group) in a group that included Uruguay, England and Italy.

That's just amazing. Good work CR.
Last edited by SCCat on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Katzenfreund wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:Katz,

How goes things in the Fatherland? Is it WC crazy over there? Seriously believe Germany is the team to beat.

Some of my favorite times living/Traveling in Europe were during EuroCup/WorldCup years.

Hopp Suisse.
Spent the days since the beginning of the tournament in Le Mans, France (24 hours race), Switzerland and now here in Austria for "our" home F1 GP. The German sentiment towards this WC has been rather reserved, since it's been the common opinion among fans that the team is light years away from our great squads of the past. Jogi Löw's suitability for the coaching job is debatable and the win over Portugal left a lot to be desired. However, those three points moved the anticipation needle towards cautious optimism, considering previous occasional concerns that we wouldn't even make it out of the group stage (which can still happen). But most fans here take it one game at a time and so there's a lot of World Cup partying going on, nevertheless.

Swiss fans are ecstatic since they've got a promising team and 2014 is only their fourth (third consecutive) WC since 1966. Strong, almost exuberant national pride makes for a lot of red flags with white crosses in any given place.
I remember shooting in the Swiss Alps at one of the gnarliest MTB downhill World Cups in the history of the series. Rain, mud and a terrain so steep that my guys had problems getting their cameras up the mountain. Several riders had to be airlifted to the hospital, others rode injured (broken fingers, etc.) after being involved in one of the many heavy practice crashes. Eventually, during an unbelievable finale among the remaining top ten riders, the proud event announcer's voice blared through the speakers: "Attention everyone, Roger Federer hat gerade die nächste Runde der French Open erreicht. Again, our Roger Federer has just advanced at the French Open!" This was comparable to a proclamation of the latest Olympic figure skating result during a MMA cage match. Needless to say that it raised a pretty good laugh from everybody. The Swiss organizers were swollen with pride, though.

Now, for tomorrow's game against Ghana I'm in the best place for a (hopeful) German win: Austria. The passionate hate and envy, harbored by many Austrians towards German football teams, is almost unparalleled and a reliable source for amusement on behalf of our fans. The GER vs. POR game thread in Austria's largest broadsheet newspaper had over 5000(!) posts, the post game analysis made it to over 1700 comments. Adjusted to US population numbers, it's the equivalent of 200,000 and 68,000 posts respectively. A victory in tomorrow's game against Ghana would best be compared to an Arizona NCAA Tournament win while being among scummies in Phoenix. Not at Arcadia Tavern, though, which is better than McKale anyway.
I'll be in Switzerland starting on July 7. I'm guessing I'll be too late to see this ecstatic fanaticism of which you speak, but maybe I'm wrong. I do like being in countries that are "still in it."
Zero

Post by Zero »

Italy vs Uruguay is gonna be good stuff.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Kind of disappointed we won't get to see England find a new epic way to lose in the QFs. That being said, love seeing their arrogant fucking fans put in their place. Apparently the excuse this time is going to be that FIFA screwed them by not giving them a seed in place of Switzerland.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Zero wrote:Italy vs Uruguay is gonna be good stuff.
cage match
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Why do little countries like Uruguay and Costa Rica hold their own against big nations when it comes to team sports? I always expect that the more population you have, the greater your talent pool.

Does it really just not matter once you get to around a total population of something like 3 million? That out of that number, you're going to find 15 or so players that are as good as the best 15 players that a country of 60 million plus can produce? Like there's some kind of bottle-neck of potential talent no matter how wide the vessel???
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

By the way...CONCACAF so far is 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw
Miller time

Post by Miller time »

Good sign for the US that the CONCACAF teams are playing well, might be a little underrated.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Congrats France on winning their group. It will be very interesting to see how far they can go in the knockouts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

France and Germany are good
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Is France that good?
TheBlackLodge

Post by TheBlackLodge »

LOL @ that Swiss free kick goal
Formerly McLurvin
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

How confident are you that USA will at least get a draw against Portugal.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That Swiss goalie is the opposite of Mexico's.

cue swiss cheese jokes.

LH: Very, in fact I think US takes the win.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

French are good
Last edited by NYCat on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Longhorned wrote:How confident are you that USA will at least get a draw against Portugal.
There are some interesting cross currents outside of just "who has the better players."

1. Is Portugal mentally strong? If I had to rate all 32 teams' mental fortitude, I would have Portugal in the weakest third. So after getting totally shelled in their first game, do they come back stronger than ever knowing they have to preform or do we get a listless/folding performance?

2. How will the weather effect the teams? Manaus was a mistake to hold games at. Supposedly it's going to be 85+ degrees and 85%+ humidity. Who will be able to adapt to the weather better? Besides the physical element there is a mental element and this dovetails back into point #1: do the miserable conditions start effecting the mindset (which might already be in a not so good place), drive and concentration of Portugal?

3. USA sits at 3 points, Portugal 0. Portugal could theoretically take a draw and try to pin their hopes on outright beating Ghana by a large goal differential (since Germany shelled them so badly), but the reality is at -4 goal differential they probably need to go for a win. The USA will know that and sit back in the miserable conditions and absorb the pressure and let Portugal run themselves out of the game in the miserable conditions.

So lots of cross currents that really have the chance of piggybacking onto each other to crush Portugal. Not mentally strong, conditions sapping your energy in about 45 minutes but you know you have to go for the win even though you physically and mentally feel like crap?

And Klinsmann will know all that and plan accordingly to bring the most out of all those disadvantages for Portugal.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SCCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:How confident are you that USA will at least get a draw against Portugal.
There are some interesting cross currents outside of just "who has the better players."

1. Is Portugal mentally strong? If I had to rate all 32 teams' mental fortitude, I would have Portugal in the weakest third. So after getting totally shelled in their first game, do they come back stronger than ever knowing they have to preform or do we get a listless/folding performance?

2. How will the weather effect the teams? Manaus was a mistake to hold games at. Supposedly it's going to be 85+ degrees and 85%+ humidity. Who will be able to adapt to the weather better? Besides the physical element there is a mental element and this dovetails back into point #1: do the miserable conditions start effecting the mindset (which might already be in a not so good place), drive and concentration of Portugal?

3. USA sits at 3 points, Portugal 0. Portugal could theoretically take a draw and try to pin their hopes on outright beating Ghana by a large goal differential (since Germany shelled them so badly), but the reality is at -4 goal differential they probably need to go for a win. The USA will know that and sit back in the miserable conditions and absorb the pressure and let Portugal run themselves out of the game in the miserable conditions.

So lots of cross currents that really have the chance of piggybacking onto each other to crush Portugal. Not mentally strong, conditions sapping your energy in about 45 minutes but you know you have to go for the win even though you physically and mentally feel like crap?

And Klinsmann will know all that and plan accordingly to bring the most out of all those disadvantages for Portugal.
Nice. Thanks, sc. Can't wait.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Guise US national team just got a great supporter!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Supporting how, Piers?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Just amazing

Honduras 1, Ecuador 0
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Supporting how, Piers?
Hopefully by killing himself.
thenewazcats

Post by thenewazcats »

SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Iran played very good D in the first half and here at the 68' they really have Argentina on the back foot.

The typical thing to see when the underdog has you on the back foot without capitalizing is to see a very against the run of play counter for a goal. Hopefully Iran can avoid that and keep doing what they're doing.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Man that's a heart breaker for Iran
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Let's see another nice 4-0 German victory over Ghana this afternoon.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCat wrote:Let's see another nice 4-0 German victory over Ghana this afternoon.
I really want to root for Ghana here.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Chicat wrote:
SCCat wrote:Let's see another nice 4-0 German victory over Ghana this afternoon.
I understand the feeling but...you want to see Ghana basically eliminated with a loss. Leaving Ghana even on one point (so a draw with Germany here) going into their last game against a potentially despondent Portugal could lead to a 3 or 4 to zero Ghana win, giving Ghana 4 points and a good enough goal differential to beat us out for second place in the group.

A straight win for Ghana over Germany would be even more dangerous for us. Like much more.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

SCCat wrote:

More mind games for Portugal after the first half of Germany v Ghana.

Germany > Portugal
USA > Ghana
Germany and Ghana play a close half

So if you rated teams based on results, the chart might look like

1. Germany
2. USA
3. Ghana
4. Portugal

With this first half of Germany v. Ghana, Portugal gets more reinforcement that they are playing like (and might in fact be?) the worst team in the group.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

SCCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:
I understand the feeling but...you want to see Ghana basically eliminated with a loss. Leaving Ghana even on one point (so a draw with Germany here) going into their last game against a potentially despondent Portugal could lead to a 3 or 4 to zero Ghana win, giving Ghana 4 points and a good enough goal differential to beat us out for second place in the group.

A straight win for Ghana over Germany would be even more dangerous for us. Like much more.
I know I know, but in any other circumstance I'm rooting for an African nation to take down a favorite.

Ghana is playing inspired. Looks like this truly is the Group of Death.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wow Ghana!

But how about the German keeper acting like a total asshole yelling at his defense on both goals?
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

That's big trouble.

If this stands we're probably going to need a result against Germany 1) after having just played in Manaus (so fatigue questions) and 2) with Germany still needing a result themselves to advance.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Ghana always finds a way to troll the US
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

I don't know if this has been the best game of the tournament so far, but it's gotta be damn close.

2-2 with two lead changes so far.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wish all Futbol matches were as awesome as this one.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Black stars are no joke; really dangerous team.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Isn't a draw here a good result for USA? Like even better than a German victory? And a Ghana win the worst possible result for USA?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

German win is the best result if you have no confidence that we can beat Germany.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Longhorned wrote:Isn't a draw here a good result for USA? Like even better than a German victory? And a Ghana win the worst possible result for USA?
It's a longer analysis that I'll get into perhaps tomorrow before our game, but I think a Ghana draw here (and then the expected Ghana thrashing of Portugal in the final group game) would create a goal differential problem for us that might make it necessary to straight beat Portugal tomorrow instead of going for a draw ourselves.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

yeah a draw here means we need a win tomorrow much more than we did before.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

SCCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Isn't a draw here a good result for USA? Like even better than a German victory? And a Ghana win the worst possible result for USA?
It's a longer analysis that I'll get into perhaps tomorrow before our game, but I think a Ghana draw here (and then the expected Ghana thrashing of Portugal in the final group game) would create a goal differential problem for us that might make it necessary to straight beat Portugal tomorrow instead of going for a draw ourselves.
I'm a greedy man. Portugal is down, so go for the win. We've beaten Germany recently. We can hang in this group without a white flag. I shouldn't be this greedy about USA Futbol.
Miller time

Post by Miller time »

SCCat wrote:
Wouldn't we advance over Ghana then with a draw against Portugal or Germany?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Balls to the walls!
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Umm...woah. I hope those guys are ok. Yikes
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Miller time wrote:
SCCat wrote:
Wouldn't we advance over Ghana then with a draw against Portugal or Germany?
Goal differential issues could become big. Like if we drew Portugal and then lost 1-0 to Germany I would expect we wouldn't go through.
SCCat

Post by SCCat »

Chicat wrote:German win is the best result if you have no confidence that we can beat Germany.

It's tough to get a result from Germany in the best of circumstances.

To have to travel 3000 miles, play a game in the middle of the unholiest jungle you've ever seen, fly 3000 miles back and play Germany on one day less rest and get a result is...tough for me to imagine. I would have to put myself into the "not much confidence" category there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If we could beat their asses in WWII, we can beat their asses anywhere.

'Murica!!!!!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Goal differential is another one of those challenges Americans face in trying to identify with this sport.

"A win is a win!"

"No it isn't."

"Well, we beat them, so we own the head-to-head."

"No you don't. You beat them, but they might beat somebody else by so many points that you go home."

"Oh. So our players should have just fallen down and writhed in pain. Now I get it."