Paris Olympics

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

wyo-cat

Re: Paris Olympics

Post by wyo-cat »

These people are bonkers. My sister is one of them.

I’ve been involved with girls sports for 10 yrs or more, never had a problem with this.

It’s a solution looking for a problem.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

You know who else hate women who cut their hair?

The Iranian government
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

The women's soccer team is driving me nuts with this prevent defense bs. Come on, control the ball and stop letting Australia take shots on goal
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Anyone see the women’s rugby team that scored from their end zone on the last play of the game to beat Australia and win the bronze medal. Google that because it is simply amazing. The emotions of both teams is raw
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:00 pm Anyone see the women’s rugby team that scored from their end zone on the last play of the game to beat Australia and win the bronze medal. Google that because it is simply amazing. The emotions of both teams is raw
Absolutely awesome ending

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 7:00 pm Anyone see the women’s rugby team that scored from their end zone on the last play of the game to beat Australia and win the bronze medal. Google that because it is simply amazing. The emotions of both teams is raw
It was brilliant.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Simone Biles is really good.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:37 am Chase Budinger and his partner won their first match 2-0 over France.
Then they lost to the Netherlands. They play again Friday (I believe at 6 am PT) against Spain. A salute to them from somebody's South Bay condo overlooking the beach and the volleyball nets to the amazingly scenic beach volleyball site in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower in Paris:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve been blown up today from my right wing sister about a trans male fighting in women’s boxing.

I finally get home and chill for a sec….

Turns out the lady was born with Swyer Syndrome.

She has female genitalia and male (XY) chromosomes.

Definitely not a tranny or a man.

What’s really sad is the right wing freak out. She was born between sexes, and not really either. I can’t imagine the amount of bullying she got as a young girl.

Fuck these Faux News Brain Rot assholes.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

She’s also competing within the rules the IOC has set forth. She’s passed every test they have to be considered female.

The meltdown is about her existing. Simple as that. Same with Ilona Maher. They exist and because they don’t fit into other people’s narrow worldview, they are somehow an abomination. Because they are strong and good at sports.

Anyone freaking out about this are telling on themselves.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I don’t think raising the issue about having an equal playing field for all participants is wrong. Throw out the Trans talk because it has nothing to do with this issue being raised.

I agree she won the bout fair and square because she is competing within the IOC rules. But I do think the IOC needs to look at females with male chromosomes just like they look at doping regulations. It’s obviously an advantage but what “amount” is the right amount.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:57 am I don’t think raising the issue about having an equal playing field for all participants is wrong.
Depends on your agenda.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:57 am I don’t think raising the issue about having an equal playing field for all participants is wrong. Throw out the Trans talk because it has nothing to do with this issue being raised.

I agree she won the bout fair and square because she is competing within the IOC rules. But I do think the IOC needs to look at females with male chromosomes just like they look at doping regulations. It’s obviously an advantage but what “amount” is the right amount.
What about have some creepy dude like JD Vance doing genitalia checks?

That work for you?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:47 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 5:57 am I don’t think raising the issue about having an equal playing field for all participants is wrong.
Depends on your agenda.
This issue is of very recent vintage, and the IOC (as well as all sports groups) are evolving their rules. They'll all need to seriously consider "equal playing field" as well as examining the "agendas" of all advocates.

This is unlikely to be the last Olympics where these questions will be raised. But, I agree that this particular case is not the test case....

And, what they should do about Katie Ladecky when considering "an equal playing field for all participants" :shock: :? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:19 am And, what they should do about Katie Ladecky when considering "an equal playing field for all participants" :shock: :? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
That’s the question. LeBron James has a distinct advantage over me at basketball because he’s a foot taller and built out of granite but I demand a level playing field so he needs to be banned.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Depends on your agenda.
I was trying to have a civil discourse about it but I should have known that doesn’t happen any more because everything now is political.

Carry on…
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:31 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:19 am And, what they should do about Katie Ladecky when considering "an equal playing field for all participants" :shock: :? :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
That’s the question. LeBron James has a distinct advantage over me at basketball because he’s a foot taller and built out of granite but I demand a level playing field so he needs to be banned.
Serena Williams, Navratilova, Michael Phelps, Shaq. There are a lot of athletes with unfair advantages. I think it's still good to discuss this issue to try and flesh out what's best for everyone. It will be interesting to see how this woman does going forward.

We are still learning about steroids too. I think if someone is caught they should be banned for life because they are finding out there is an advantage there never goes away completely. The problem is how can we be sure someone is using steroids because they're always changing them up so it's hard to detect. With so much money in sports now, it's worth the risk.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:48 am
Depends on your agenda.
I was trying to have a civil discourse about it but I should have known that doesn’t happen any more because everything now is political.

Carry on…
The context of query is everything. That's what Chi is saying. If I want to outlaw the right of religious assembly I will highlight some fundamental imbalance related to assembly itself and work backward. If assembly is overseen by some supposedly idiosyncratic body, so much the better.

In the current case, a Defense of Sport Integrity Act will rise through the ranks of the GOP laying the groundwork for banning the Olympics on American soil. Surely the LA Dodgers deserve the same protections.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Depends on your agenda.

Carry on…
I won't speak for anyone but myself- but I do think conversations should be had about this. The problem... as Chi I am sure was alluding to... is that in the eyes of many folks... with a certain political ideology... this is more about being cruel than being fair....
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:11 am The problem... as Chi I am sure was alluding to... is that in the eyes of many folks... with a certain political ideology... this is more about being cruel than being fair....
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Depends on your agenda.

Carry on…
There was nothing uncivil about my response. Maybe try unclenching your sphincter*.

*Now THAT was uncivil
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Huh? Stanford sure, but ASU? Is ballroom dancing an Olympic event?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Depends on your agenda.

Carry on…
You didn't actually "discuss" anything there. You raise a question...

Please, is it possible to discuss this question without political considerations??

In fact, it's only being "discussed" this week BECAUSE of political commentators using phony rhetorical questions to provoke political innuendo
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

The French swimmer with phelp’s coach goes to ASU.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

My Father-in-Law: “Did you see about that transgender boxer?”
Me: “She’s not transgender.”
FIL: “Yes she is.”
Me: “You think ALGERIA sent a trans athlete to the Olympics? Ha!”
FIL: … stunned silence …
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:27 am
Depends on your agenda.

Carry on…
There was nothing uncivil about my response. Maybe try unclenching your sphincter*.

*Now THAT was uncivil
Thanks, I certainly will as I’m not a Tottenham fan…

;)
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 9:11 am
Depends on your agenda.

Carry on…
I won't speak for anyone but myself- but I do think conversations should be had about this. The problem... as Chi I am sure was alluding to... is that in the eyes of many folks... with a certain political ideology... this is more about being cruel than being fair....
Well put Ari. That’s what I was trying to say but you did a better job than I did.

And I do feel bad for Khelif as she is just trying to compete like anyone else.

I also read an article in USA Today (assuming it’s accurate) that gender equality is not determined by the IOC. They defer to the international governing bodies for each of the 32 Olympic sports. The IOC does provide a framework but apparently it’s nonbinding.

The IOC removed the boxing governing body IBA due to scandals before the Tokyo games and placed an ad hoc group which allowed both Khelif and Lin Yu-Ting from Taiwan to compete. Paris has followed Tokyo’s guidelines. The IBA does govern the world championships and they disqualified both Khalif and Lin from the 2023 championships for failing gender equality tests.

The whole thing is a mess, which is not a surprise for boxing.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Great 10K race!!

Grant Fisher, USA won bronze...

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That 10k race was about as exciting as it gets.

And Fischer almost fell down but recovered to get the Bronze. Way to go!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Biles is the GOAT of GOATs!
Last edited by Merkin on Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Remember when the Shiteaters went after her "bad hair"? If it ain't trad, cis, or beige dominant it's Woke!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

This ain't the lower boards gents
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

84Cat wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:25 pm This ain't the lower boards gents
I agree- but frankly... again... when a certain political ideology decide to make the Olympics political from the Opening Ceremony on... it's really fucking hard
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Is this the first time they've had mixed mens/womens relays?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:45 pm
I agree- but frankly... again... when a certain political ideology decide to make the Olympics political from the Opening Ceremony on... it's really fucking hard
Mea culpa. I'm really bad at it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:45 pm
Fair
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 1:51 pm Is this the first time they've had mixed mens/womens relays?
No
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

You can delete tweets but people remember
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Goes for the IOC and the haters
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chase may need another face stomp to light a fire under him.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ :D True, that changed his whole season.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

And Chase into the knockout round.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Amazing that one runner can bring a whole island country together in joy and happiness. That is truly the Olympic spirit
Last edited by azcat49 on Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:01 pm Amazing that one runner can bring a whole island country to together in joy and happiness. That is truly the Olympic spirit
Every US Olympic team and athletes should be doing the same thing. Unfortunately some decide to bring politics and other divisive things into it
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:39 pm ^ :D True, that changed his whole season.

These videos are the best thing I've seen in a while. Thanks Merk.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

American swimmers end on a strong note with the women’s 4x100 medley relay team setting a WR.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Lyles!!!

What an amazing race

Fuck yeah

Closest race I have ever seen
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Can’t believe it’s been 20 years since we won the gold in the 100 meters.

Lyle’s won by 5/1000th of a second. Unbelievable.