Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros e

Post by azgreg »

The Phoenix Rising are in the USL finals.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

And the Barca board resigns.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Re: Soccer thread (Champions League • PL • La Liga • Euros etc)

Post by Merkin »

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

The USMNT has a friendly at 10 am today against Jamaica. This team is so different than the team who didn't make the world Cup.

World class talent ( or should be in a few years)

Zack Steffen
Sergino Dest ( He grew up in The Netherlands) and played soccer there his whole life, but could play for the US because his father is American)
John Brooks
Chris Richards
Tyler Adams
Josh Sargent
Christian Pulisic (he is turning out to be injury prone)
Yunus Musah ( He decided to play for the US last week over England, Italy, and Ghana)
Giovanni Reyna ( I believe Gio will be the best of all the US players. His father is Cladio Reyna who plaeyed for the USMNT)

Most of these players are under 23 years old. Musah is 18. What is making a difference is the US players are training much younger and playing better competition. Most of them in Europe. The US could have even better talent if it didn't cost so much money to receive the better training and competition.

Why is Ream, Long, and especially Costa on the team? Ream is too old, Long isn't USMNT good, and Acosta isn't even an MLS all-star. I would rather have seen Mark McKenzie over Ream. Berhalter is not a good coach. I would hope the USMNT can find someone better than him.

IMO, by 2026 the USMNT will be good enough to win the World Cup. There are probably going to be great young talent I haven't seen yet.

BTW, the US under-23 team lost to Mexico yesterday for qualifying for the Olympics, which wasn't surprising. They suck. The good players are playing for the national team. At least they made it out of the group. I do like Soto, Perea, and Ochoa. I don't know if David Ochoa is related to Guillermo Ochoa of Mexico, even though they are both goaltenders. Ochoa is only 20 years old. Ochoa is the best player in the tournament.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

I now place soccer as my favorite sport next to baseball. What I really appreciate is the skill level to be a good player. And once I understood the game it became enjoyable. 20 years ago I didn't know that much about soccer.

This is a good Chelsea video on Christian Pulisic. Pulisic is only 22 years old. If he can stay healthy he could win the Balon d'or (best soccer player in the world). That is how good Pulisic can play. Captain America can ball.

If you follow the USMNT then I know you are excited. The US has so many young players making a name for themselves in Europe. And the US pulled some players everyone thought would play elsewhere. The biggest weakness of the US is the GK (Steffen is not as good as I thought). None of the GK on the USMNT start in their clubs.

Other than Pulisic, some of the young talent to keep an eye on. Sergino Dest, Gio Reyna (he is only 18), Tyler Adams, Westin McKinnie, Tim Weah.

Then look at some players, with more PT who can make an impact on the USMNT in the near future. Josh Sargent, Daryl Dike, Chris Richards, Brendan Aaronson, Luca de la Torre, George Bello, Antonee Robinson, Mark MeKenzie ,Matt Miazga, Jesus Ferreira, Yunus Musah, and David Ochoa.

There are other players who could make the USMNT roster who, IMO, won't be part of the future. Reggie Cannon, Sebastion Lleget, Sebastion Yuiell, Jordan Seibatcheu

The next big USMNT matches are in June where they play in the Nation's League. It's 2 games and we should play Mexico in the final. Although we need to beat Honduras first. The biggest problem with the US team is they haven't practiced together much. The talent is there, but Mexico is more experienced. This is a good measure of what needs to be worked on, and how the US team can overcome Berhalter (The US coach). IMO, the US is going to drive soccer crazed Mexico crazy soon, because the US is on the verge of becoming a soccer giant. I don't believe the US can win the World Cup in 2022, but 2026...

The Gold Cup this summer will be the US "B Team". The best players are going to rest for the start of World Cup qualifiying.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Here is a better video of Christian Pulisic.

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is getting interesting.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

azgreg wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:46 pm This is getting interesting.
Yes, this really sucks. I was just starting to really enjoy soccer and the wealthy owners decide to start a Super League. No more underdog, no more Champions League. Premier League will never be the same. This is a good way to make me lose interest.

Manchester City, Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, and Chelsea plan on leaving the premier league. Tearing away something that is special for money.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

That is surprising considering it was Manchester City and Chelsea who were hesitant to join.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Breaking news. It appears Chelsea and Manchester City are leaving the Super League too.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That was a short lived rebellion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Madrid is also out.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Ed Woodward stepped down as executive vice-chair. He wanted Man United to join the Super League. That is why Man United is leaving. The fans have spoken. They were really upset. It is why my Chelsea logo is gone. I won't put it back up although I still follow Chelsea futball.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:18 pm Madrid is also out.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

My favorite player on the USWNT is Rose Lavelle. I believe she is the most skilled. Now if she can work on her right foot. I also appreciate Carli Lloyd because everyone says she should retire because of her age. Yet she still is productive.

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Chelsea is about to start playing Real Madrid in the Semi Finals in the Champions League. Real Madrid has dominated but hasn't played Chelsea. Chelsea has a change. It's their biggest match of the year. Pulisic isn't the best forward on Chelsea. Mason Mount is. And Mason Mount is 21 (Pulisic is 22). Chelsea has some good players. Silva, Chilwell, Kante, James. The most intriguing matchup is Eden Hazard, who used to play for Chelsea, and now plays for Real Madrid. Real Madrid has to be favored but I believe Chelsea will come to play.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Pulisic just scored in the 14th minute. Chelsea 1-0.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

They are playing in pouring down rain. That sucks. Score is 1-1. Pulisic has a yellow card.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Why is Werner playing. He can dribble and can't shoot worth a lick. But he looks good while he misses. I want to see Hakim Zayech.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Werner. Great chance!! Messes up again.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Real big match for Chealsea today in the Champions League. They play Real Madrid, who is the New England Patriots of soccer, at Stamford Bridge (Chealsea's home field). This will be Chelsea's biggest match in over a decade. The winner plays Manchester City for the championship.

The game is on CBS Sports Network, or Telemundo in Spanish. It can also be seen on Paramount+. The game starts at noon Tucson time.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Pulisic did it again. He didn’t start, instead came in around the 60th minute. Pulisic is blazing fast. He is also already a world class dribbler and can juke out anyone. With 5 minutes to go he had the ball just outside the goal on the baseline. Then made a perfect pass to mason Mmount right in front of the goal to put the game away. Chelsea is in the Champions League final against Manchester City in Istanbul. BTW, Chelsea plays at Manchester City this Saturday in the EPL. And they beat Manchester City a couple of weeks ago.

Great defense by Chelsea. Real Madrid had possession of the ball most of the time. Yet Chelsea was dangerous in the counter strike.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So I recently decided to adopt Tottenham as my soccer team and got to watch my first match this morning.

So they suck huh? Great...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am So I recently decided to adopt Tottenham as my soccer team and got to watch my first match this morning.

Not as bad as my Arsenal squad (which is a London rival). Good thing you and I are Rams fans. :lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:24 am So I recently decided to adopt Tottenham as my soccer team and got to watch my first match this morning.

Did you do painstaking research like I did when I picked Man U as my team?

In college a friend had a cool Man U scarf from a visit to the UK that I liked and she gave it to me.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Man City vs Chelsea on NBC. The game has Anthony Taylor as the referee. He is from Manchester and hates Chelsea. We are going to get screwed I know it. Chelsea had to fly to Manchester. And one day less rest. Man City's lineup has played together for 6 years, Chelsea like 3 months. Chelsea isn't starting some of their key players, but Pulisic is starting. Mason Mount isn't available today. But Kante is. Kante is Chelsea's best player. Mendy is a really good GK too.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Chelsea is really lucky to be down only 1-0 at the half. Man City shot the easiest to block penalty kick I've ever seen. Now get Werner out of there and bring in the much better German striker in Kia Havertz. I just want a result (a draw).

To enjoy soccer a viewer must understand about a team probing for holes in the defense. Counter striking is a great way to find a hole in the defense. Teamwork might be more important in soccer than any other sport.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:04 am

In college a friend had a cool Man U scarf from a visit to the UK that I liked and she gave it to me.
Almost as much. A guy on Twitter followed me for no reason. I followed him back for no reason. All he talks about is Tottenham.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 am

Almost as much. A guy on Twitter followed me for no reason. I followed him back for no reason. All he talks about is Tottenham.
But are you willing to be called a Hotspur associated with the fighting cocks who used to wear spurs (see the bird on their crest).
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Way to go Chelsea. Wow! They are now in third place. And to believe they were 9th before Tuchel took over. He didn't even play some of the best players. Funniest thing is Taylor screwed Man City. Chelsea is 2-0 over Man City in the last month. One more win for Chelsea over Man City and Chelsea wins the Champions League. I am on cloud 9.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:56 am
Chicat wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 am

But are you willing to be called a Hotspur associated with the fighting cocks who used to wear spurs (see the bird on their crest).
(*Pulls out the pocket translator like Clark Griswold*)

Sure! Sounds like a wholesome good time being memorialized there.

And now that I know what the fuck COYS means I feel like I’m fully immersed.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ghostwhitehorse wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:08 pm
I don’t know if they have a play of the year vote, but if they do that’ll have a chance to win it.

I don’t know the numbers exactly, but that header might be worth $50M or more.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Go Blue!

Biggest event of the year in soccer is about to start on CBS. The Super Bowl of Soccer.

Both teams are blue. Go Chelsea!
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Chelsea is starting Havertz over Werner.

Werner is playing. I wonder who he is starting over.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Why is Werner playing over Pulisic? He already blew a perfect assist in the box.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Werner blew it again.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Yes! Havertz scores! Big breakdown by Man City. And right before the half. Great pass by Ben Chilwell.

Chelsea 1 Man City 0
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

On one review from not a great angle, that looks like a penalty to me
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

Yes! Chelsea are the champions. Unbelievable. Pulisic is the first American champion.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

USMNT looks good against Sweden, especially the forwards. Although the defense is a little shaky. They are a little disjointed but to be expected. They haven't played together much. When you consider they aren't playing their #1 GK Zack Stephen (Man City), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea), Arron Long (injury and center back) and Tyler Adams (injured and plays the 6). I like that McKenzie is playing. Some very young players are gaining experience. Gio Reyna looks really good and he is only 18. I am also happy Aaronson is playing. The US is really talented and young. Imagine if Jesse Marsch is their coach.
Last edited by FreeSpiritCat on Sun May 30, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeSpiritCat

Post by FreeSpiritCat »

The US looks really dynamic on the offense. You can see they are ready to break out. They haven't even played Pulisic, Dike, or Weah. The defense leaves a lot to be desired. Lucky that Horvath (GK) is up to the challenge. I wonder why Chris Richards or Antonee Robinson isn't playing. Put in Yunus Mussah at the 6.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

The stanky leg!!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

American defense is ELITE
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »