Tony Stewart

Futbol/Soccer, Golf, Cricket, Motor Sports, or anything else

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Tony Stewart

Post by Chicat »

Got into an on-track altercation during a sprint car race last night at some backwoods dirt track in NY and the other driver Kevin Ward Jr. is now dead after being run over by Stewart's car.

Stewart ran Ward into the wall and Ward got pissed, got out of the car, and then tried to get at Stewart as he came around during the caution. Ward was nearly struck by another driver and then Stewart hit him and Ward was DOA at the hospital. Video here:

[youtube]O5r-d6Tez1M[/youtube]

Stewart is supposedly going to race today but NASCAR can't really allow that to happen. I'm guessing they step in and don't allow him to race.

Crazy stuff...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
pokinmik

Re: Tony Stewart

Post by pokinmik »

This is really crazy. I guarantee Stewart was trying to scare or maybe even nip the other driver. Two hothead race car drivers just let road rage get the better of them and one died on the spot. I'm guilty as anyone sometimes but road rage really is idiotic (clearly pro racing is diff circumstances but road rage is road rage).
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

The driver should not have gotten out of the wing sprint while the other cars were moving. In any case I doubt Tony Stewart's life will ever be the same. His silence isn't helping. He will get booed everywhere. I wonder what will happen to his endorsements.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Now they're saying he won't race. It was weird that he would. If I ran over and killed someone, I'd take a day or two off from work to get my head right.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:Now they're saying he won't race. It was weird that he would. If I ran over and killed someone, I'd take a day or two off from work to get my head right.
Stewart's team is pulling him. Not Stewart, and not NASCAR.

How the hell could NASCAR say its OK?
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

To play devils advocate here, at night, how hard would it be to see something you're not looking for because it's never supposed to be there? Further, it's a dirt track, so how hard would it be to even attempt to stop when this occurs on a curve and your steered right-to-go-left drifting on loose debris? Lastly, the victim wasn't a fixed point that could easily be avoided, but an ever approaching target aimed right at you.

This is nuts. It's Stewart, so I'm not sure he deserves the benefit of the doubt with his past aggressive driving, but the video doesn't give me the sense Tony went out of his way to hit him. He maybe didn't get out of the way enough, but it looked like Ward was intent to escalate this thing well past the line in the sand for reasonable.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

He killed somebody.

I'm not saying he did it on purpose.... but he killed somebody.

No way he should be anywhere near a racecar for a long while.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Oh I agree there. I'm just talking about the big picture and jail/prison.

Some witness accounts said Stewart may have gunned his engine as he approached Ward, but I'd counter with of course he did, he was exiting his turn. You always gun it coming out of the turn.

Just trying to make sense of this.

The dude was in a black jumpsuit at night on a dark track and did something nobody expected, do nobody thought to look for or plan ahead to avoid.

It truly sucks for the victims family, but it's not known if Ward is the only victim in this tragedy, mostly of his own making.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In watching the video a second time, it's clear the cars slowed under caution, so the drift part of the scenario doesn't exist since the move wasn't being made.

I showed the video to my dad, a highly decorated/awarded prosecutor of major felonies in Arizona and he said without proof of intent, he doesn't think an office could sustain any charges of any sort. Videos indicates culpability of victim, not of Stewart.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

it's almost exactly two years old—Stewart once notoriously threw his helmet at Matt Kenseth's car in a very similar kind of confrontation he was involved in last night. Nothing happened except for the helmet toss, but Stewart said after the race that he would "run over" Kenseth "every chance [he] got."

http://deadspin.com/tony-stewarts-tempe ... socialflow
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Boys will be boys.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

It sucks Ward died, but chasing down a moving car was Darwinian at beast. Ward gets out of car and enters traffic in a dark racing suit(stupid if its a white suit with reflective tape). Remember this comes on a spot that is entering a turn, in the dark. The car ahead of Stewart sees the driver and avoids him. It approaches the driver at the 33 second mark and is just passing him at 34 seconds. At 35 seconds Stewart enters the frame and the driver is hit and down before the clock turns to 36 seconds. I wonder if the car ahead of Stewart obstructed his view coming around the corner? A second of obstructed view could reduce his reaction time to almost nothing.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Stewart has a notorious temper and accelerated his vehicle as he was passing. When you accelerate a stock car, the backend fishtails.

It was stupid to leave the car, but only God and Stewart truly know the truth.

But when I first saw this posted, before reading and now seeing the video, I thought to myself, "I bet his temper got the best of him".

I haven't seen anything yet, especially with the I will race, now I won't race decision making that makes me think otherwise.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

So much compassion from NASCAR.

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Merkin wrote:So much compassion from NASCAR.

No kidding.

Won't stop the southerners from cheering their "competition". (not a sport)

In any other world, that is vehicular manslaughter at the least.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Well Yankee northerners in this case since it's in new York
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fine...does White Trash rednecks suffice?

Captures the central valley nascar contingency.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I can see the protests now if Stewart gets even sanctioned, much less banned from the sport like he deserves.

It'll happen. NASCAR drivers are @$$holes, but the Top 50 all have their male worshipers who would justify anything they do.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Rubbin's racin.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

A story like this is pretty much what it takes for me to pay attention to auto racing...well for about 5 minutes.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Come on, guys. I'm the last one to give a damn about cars racing around an oval, turning left-left-left. But blaming the driver when the idiot victim was walking around on the track? Bug's right. This is natural selection at work.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Tony Stewart is a professional, decorated driver and the race was under caution, he definitely saw Ward. I guaran-god-damn-tee Stewart was pissed off and drove very closely to Ward and revved up, basically saying 'fuck you' with his car and unfortunately his tail end swiped out, or Ward walked into the tire and this tragedy ensued. I also guarantee Stewart's brain thought 'oh shit' or holy fuck' right after he did it too....like a toddler with that scared look when they realize they took it too far by punching a sibling or something.

People are delusional claiming that Stewart is totally innocent in this or that he is a poor guy that just couldn't see Ward. It's somewhat of a coincidence that Stewart was the one to hit Ward as well if it was so low visibility.

I get why the media is basically giving Stewart a pass. As many of you have said, Ward shouldn't have been on the track so obviously he shares some blame. And it's impossible to prove whatever Stewart may have or have not done. It's a pretty bold move to accuse Stewart of ill intentions so I get why people and the media aren't going there really. And I wouldn't for a second accuse Stewart of wanting to murder or even hurt Ward, but this was road rage gone awry.

Stewart just has a built-in excuse that it was an accident with Ward acting like a lunatic on the track (though plenty of drivers have walked on the track in anger before). Like CST said I think, only god and Stewart will know.

My view, this should be some type of manslaughter. More likely he'll be dealt with in civil court.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

pokinmik wrote:Tony Stewart is a professional, decorated driver and the race was under caution, he definitely saw Ward. I guaran-god-damn-tee Stewart was pissed off and drove very closely to Ward and revved up, basically saying 'fuck you' with his car and unfortunately his tail end swiped out, or Ward walked into the tire and this tragedy ensued. I also guarantee Stewart's brain thought 'oh shit' or holy fuck' right after he did it too....like a toddler with that scared look when they realize they took it too far by punching a sibling or something.

People are delusional claiming that Stewart is totally innocent in this or that he is a poor guy that just couldn't see Ward. It's somewhat of a coincidence that Stewart was the one to hit Ward as well if it was so low visibility.

I get why the media is basically giving Stewart a pass. As many of you have said, Ward shouldn't have been on the track so obviously he shares some blame. And it's impossible to prove whatever Stewart may have or have not done. It's a pretty bold move to accuse Stewart of ill intentions so I get why people and the media aren't going there really. And I wouldn't for a second accuse Stewart of wanting to murder or even hurt Ward, but this was road rage gone awry.

Stewart just has a built-in excuse that it was an accident with Ward acting like a lunatic on the track (though plenty of drivers have walked on the track in anger before). Like CST said I think, only god and Stewart will know.

My view, this should be some type of manslaughter. More likely he'll be dealt with in civil court.
QFT

Steward certainly wasn't trying to kill or maim, but without a doubt intimidate. He has a history of being a dick. This time it bit him back hard.

Sad a 20yo had to lose his life for a grown-man's spring car jollies.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Live by walking head-on into speeding race cars, die by walking head-on into speeding race cars.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Can anybody see this video clearer than I can at work? Supposedly it shows Stewart's rear wheels locked up prior to contact with Ward.

[youtube]1XvhrPu64Co[/youtube]
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:Can anybody see this video clearer than I can at work? Supposedly it shows Stewart's rear wheels locked up prior to contact with Ward.

[youtube]1XvhrPu64Co[/youtube]

Really can't tell, but it does like Stewart hit the brakes after he hit him, the rear tire seemed to flatten.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Ya rear wheel looks locked up. His back end is higher than his front end and he is sliding towards Ward

Has there been an official statement from Stewart? Dash cam footage? Does he always do sprint car races as well as Nascar?

At :37 you can hear Stewart's car get squirrely right before hitting him. The kid should not have been out there but Tony knew better

[youtube]c1OPFvIp-uM[/youtube]
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It has been alleged that Stewart destroyed the dash cam and had his right wheel replaced with an unused left while everyone was tending to Ward.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

really? hmm
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

"Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero tells TMZ Sports they checked Stewart’s #14 sprint car — and Ward’s #13 — to see if there was mini-cam footage of the moment the NASCAR superstar barreled into Ward … but came up with zilch.

It’s odd because we’re told — by multiple sources in the racing world — Stewart commonly has a mini-camera of some sort mounted on his cars when he races on smaller dirt tracks like Canandaigua. We’ve made multiple calls to Stewart’s racing teams, but have not heard back.

The sheriff also told us there were no recordings of communication between Stewart and his pit crew — though our sources say that’s standard ops for a small race not airing on TV."
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/driv ... em-n177951

Like this fellow driver on the track says,

“That’s obviously not a racing incident,” he said. “It’s not a good idea to get out of your car and run towards other cars. But nobody can speak for Tony. Only Tony knows exactly what happened. I seen Kevin clear as day. Nobody else ran into him, either.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Stewart:

“There aren’t words to describe the sadness I feel about the accident that took the life of Kevin Ward Jr.

“It’s a very emotional time for all involved, and it is the reason I’ve decided not to participate in today’s race at Watkins Glen.

“My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and everyone affected by this tragedy.”
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... /13699805/

Published 2 days before the Ward incident:
KNOXVILLE, Iowa — The anniversary arrived Tuesday, and Tony Stewart went to Twitter to make mention of the night his sprint car — and his life — flipped upside down in Oskaloosa, Iowa.

It was one year ago when the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion appeared headed to a sprint-car victory in the Front Row Challenge with five laps remaining until a lapped car spun in front of him and kicked up a cloud of dust.

Stewart didn't have enough time to dodge Josh Higday's car that night, but he steered it just enough at the last instant to avoid the cockpit, potentially sparing Higday serious injuries. The collision sent Stewart's car tumbling around Turn 4 at the Southern Iowa Speedway.

Stewart, who had been slated to drive in nearly 80 sprint car races last year as well as a full Cup schedule, broke both bones in his lower right leg.

In an instant, the season was over for the busiest man in racing.

"When you love something like racing — whether it's a dirt car or the Cup car — as much as I do, and you go from being the busiest guy in racing to all of a sudden being horizontal on the sheets and you can't move every day, that's a pretty big adjustment to your life for a while," Stewart said Wednesday at the charity go-kart race he missed a year ago while recovering in a Des Moines hospital.

The appearance by Stewart and fellow Cup stars Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Larson coincided with the first day of the 54th annual Knoxville Nationals.

Last month, in Stewart's first open-wheel race in almost a year, Stewart won in a sprint car at the Tri-County Motor Speedway in Auburn, Mich.

Although Stewart's wreck raised questions about whether full-time NASCAR stars with big sponsorship contracts should be moonlighting in sprint cars during the middle of the season, it also brought safety issues to the forefront.

NASCAR star Jeff Gordon circled the track in his go-kart with checked flag after winning his own charity racing event in Knoxville at Slideways Karting Center on Wednesday August 6, 2014. Also taking part in the event were drivers Tony Stewart, Kasey Kahne and Kyle Larson.

Stewart compared his situation to the safety movement that occurred in NASCAR after Dale Earnhardt was killed in the 2001 Daytona 500. Stewart's wreck prompted sprint car developers to work on torque tube tunnels and tether systems to enhance driver safety.

"The good thing is that it got enough attention to, I guess, get this movement started, and there's a lot of people that are actively working on it right now," he said last fall. "There's going to be something that comes positive out of this negative of being hurt."

Stewart went one step further. He reached out to Jay Masur, a South Dakota native who was one of the first responders at the track the night he was injured in Oskaloosa. Stewart purchased fire extinguishers, safety equipment and worked to find ways track responder crews could become more effective.

"It was a bad situation, and something negative happened, but a lot of positive things are going to happen because of it," said sprint car driver and Front Row Challenge promoter Terry McCarl. "And it's because Tony cares about our sport and dirt-track racing, and he's made a conscious effort through Jay Masur to raise the bar on safety for all of us."

Stewart said he plans to race maybe 10 more times this year in a sprint car. He intends to race again someday in Iowa.
"That's my goal one day — to run the Knoxville Nationals," he said. "A dream for me would be just to make the A-Main here. That would be cool."
Another good article: http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/y ... hole-story
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Getting ugly...

http://nypost.com/2014/08/12/cousin-of- ... im-banned/
Kin of driver whom Stewart nearly killed last year want him banned

CANANDAIGUA, NY — NASCAR hothead Tony Stewart nearly killed a female driver last year on the same track where he mowed down a rival Saturday — and the woman’s family told The Post he should be banned from racing.
“I’m upset because last year, Stewart did the same thing to my cousin, Alysha. He pushed her out of the way, broke her back and almost killed her,” said Greg Cooper, 44, a cousin of sprint-car driver Alysha Ruggles, on Tuesday.
Ruggles, then 19, suffered a fractured back after her car was struck in a 15-car pileup caused by Stewart at Canandaigua Motorsports Park in July 2013.
Cooper was at the track Saturday when Stewart fatally struck fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. after Ward angrily got out of his car to confront Stewart about being knocked off course.
Cooper said it was clear to him that Stewart was trying to teach the younger driver a lesson by “stoning’’ him with mud, or getting close enough to spray dirt on him. Only things went horribly awry.
“[Stewart] has the audacity to come back this year and thinks he could just push more people around — this time, it was stoning a kid with mud,’’ Cooper said.
“Stewart did this on purpose. He saw Ward out there and wanted to say ‘screw you’ in some way. He was just too close and ended up hitting him.
“You could see his car do a little whiplash maneuver in the video if you watch it closely. It definitely looked like he was trying to splash mud all over Kevin Ward.
“He’s responsible, plain and simple,’’
Cooper insisted, adding that he thought Stewart should be banned from racing.
Ontario County authorities are investigating whether the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup champion may have hit his throttle moments before smashing into Ward. Lighting at the track also is being reviewed.
The investigation is expected to take at least two more weeks, Sheriff Philip Povero said Tuesday.
“Investigators continue to seek witnesses,” Povero said.
He told The Post that video taken that night will be crucial in determining whether Stewart is criminally responsible for Ward’s death.
“It’s in the videos. We need the videos. If they are out there, we’ll get them,” the sheriff said.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html
The NASCAR star could be charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law if prosecutors believe he ‘‘recklessly caused the death of another person,’’ with negligent homicide another possibility, according to criminal law professor Corey Rayburn Yung of the Kansas University School of Law.

‘‘The question over whether someone was reckless is a factual one, and one a prosecutor might let a jury decide,’’ said Yung, who also posts at the Concurring Opinion blog.

Athletes in competition often do things that would get the average person arrested — think two boxers in the ring.

But sometimes an act is so far outside the bounds of accepted sporting behavior that it becomes a crime, as former major leaguer Jose Offerman learned when he was charged with felony assault for rushing the mound — swinging a bat — after he was hit by a pitch in a minor league game.

In a 1949 case that Yung uses in his class, midget car racer Joseph Sostilio was found guilty of manslaughter after he tried to squeeze a four foot-wide vehicle through a two-foot opening at 40 mph, crashing into another car and sending it into the one driven by Stephen D. Bishop. Bishop’s car flipped three times and he was killed.

Sostilio’s conviction was upheld on appeal by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. Noting that a violent or aggressive act on a football field or in a boxing ring is not necessarily a crime, Justice Henry Tilton Lummus wrote: ‘‘In the present case physical contact was not an essential part of the racing of automobiles.’’

That was a half-century ago, and racing has changed. Trading paint is a part of the sport, and it’s not even uncommon these days for racers to leave their cars to confront rivals after a crash, which Ward appeared to be doing when he was killed.

‘‘In sports we tend to allow all sorts of conduct we'd never allow in another circumstance,’’ Yung said. ‘‘But this isn’t a collision. It’s not in that ballpark; it’s something you don’t expect. This is a more complicated scenario. We’re assuming Stewart didn’t mean to do this, and yet a death resulted.’’
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jack could get a conviction.

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Black fire suit, dark track, not very brightly lit, and he's making unpredictable movements down the track towards oncoming race cars. Not exactly sure what he hoped to accomplish, but the outcome is not surprising. And by all accounts from those who have raced in one of these cars, visibility is VERY limited when looking to the right, due to the HANS device, and that big wing. Drivers also get a lot of dirt kicked up onto their visors during the race, which makes visibility that much worse.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He was trying to toss mud onto the kid
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Jefe wrote:He was trying to toss mud onto the kid

You don't know that for a fact. Only Stewart himself knows what was going on in his own mind. Everyone else is just guessing.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

It's like people want a villain.

The driver in front said he barely saw and had time to make move, and if you've seen the pics from the view out of the inside of a sprint car, you know you can't see shit. Lastly, you steer a sprint car by revving up and steering hard.

It's quite possible Stewart is only not guilty, but actually innocent.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

View from inside a sprint car

And then this as well:

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The NASCAR fanboys are crazy. Wasn't on purpose but Stewart has blame in this incident.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Why? Maybe he does, but the evidence beyond excited, emotional utterances from Ward's family and friends suggests otherwise.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Everyone else on the track was able to miss him. But the best driver on the track couldn't?

He's not completely without fault is all I am saying. Anyone thinking otherwise is ignoring his history and what happened.

JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

That argument is such bullshit. Ward wasn't kamikazi'ing any other car but Stewarts. He stayed high, then veered quickly and suddenly toward Stewart in the last part of a turn that requires the driver to rev up, steer hard, locking wheels into the turn, and Ward did all this in a black jumpsuit on a dimly lit track at night with Stewart's visibility basically being a small prison window.

Other drivers in the circumstances have said they barely saw award, barely had time to make any move away from him and still barely missed despite Ward not approaching them.

There isn't always fault.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Only Tony knows if he fucked up or not, nobody else on Earth.

Just from my experience as a competitive man, who has experienced road rage, I know it when I see it. What happened was disturbing and extremely sad and was definitely an accident. Hundreds of drivers in the past have ran out on the track in anger, throwing helmets at cars, punching cars, etc. It's all fun and games until somebody gets sucked into a tire. Stewart and especially Ward were the one's who had to learn the hard lesson.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The young man would be alive today had he chosen to go after Stewart in the pits after the race, simple as that. I don't see how any of this can be put on Stewart.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

wyo-cat wrote:I don't see how any of this can be put on Stewart.
Part of it is in on Stewart if he indeed was trying to blow by Ward in anger...whether to spray dirt, or scare him, or to say 'fuck you' with his car. I obviously think Stewart was intending to keep the tit-for-tat going and a horrible accident ensued. Alot of other people think that too...drivers in the race, other drivers, and Ward's family. It is very realistic that this is what happened so you should be able to see how he might share some of the blame. I see your POV as well, it is valid and also very realistic that Tony didn't see him until it was too late, or Ward stepped down too far.

It's pretty much impossible to prove since we can't read minds yet, and of course Stewart will lie like a rug to avoid charges. We'll never know the truth.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Money talks. You or I in the same situation and were sitting in jail with a 20k bail and vehicular manslaughter charges.