Ivan Rabb

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SCCats

Re: Ivan Rabb

Post by SCCats »

Longhorned wrote:I think we should all sit around on somebody's bedroom floor and tape our reaction to the announcement and upload it to youtube.
Great idea. It would be like the Red Wedding all over again; some Arizona fans don't know what's going to happen so we film them to see their reaction when Ivan picks up the Cal hat.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:I still maintain he should go to Cal. He'd likely get 34 minutes and 14-15 shots a game. He'd probably get more national media exposure at Arizona but if he averages 10 and 4, does it matter?
Yes. He's already on the draft radar, and scouts understand that at a more talent loaded school, you have to share the ball. Stanley is still slotted top 5 even though he didn't put up 20 a game.

In less sophisticated days, stats mattered in the draft a lot more than now.

He's gone to Cal until we hear otherwise.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Chicat wrote:I still maintain he should go to Cal. He'd likely get 34 minutes and 14-15 shots a game. He'd probably get more national media exposure at Arizona but if he averages 10 and 4, does it matter?

He'd get more playing time at Cal maybe. Free to shoot and score more. At Arizona,
where team defense, and rebounding are important, is he willing to pay the price?

My q
In terms of NBA ready, which coach is better for him? Martin or Miller? I say Miller, but that's my bias.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This sounds like Jalen Tabor, Davonte Neal, and Justice Winslow all over again.

Kid wants to go to Arizona. Parents want another school. Parents win every time, except we got a second chance with Neal.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

UAEebs86 wrote: Parents win every time, except we got a second chance with Neal.
This. Sometimes it even comes down to the parents threatening not to sign or in fact not signing when the kid brings his papers.

The thing is, the kids probably have more leverage than they think. If the parents won't sign the scholarship papers, a kid like Rabb could just show up on campus. We held an open trying for the basketball team and wow, that Rabb kid is great. Let's offer him a scholarship right now for the year.

Or of course someone like Rabb, who's going to be earning $4M+ a year from now, could always take out a $25K loan and go where he wants if his parents won't sign the papers.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

UAEebs86 wrote:This sounds like Jalen Tabor, Davonte Neal, and Justice Winslow all over again.

Kid wants to go to Arizona. Parents want another school. Parents win every time, except we got a second chance with Neal.
Rick and Lew Rickert too.

That's some fine parenting Lew.

2003–2004 Krka Novo Mesto
2004–2005 Asheville Altitude
2005 Panellinios
2005 Lleida Bàsquet
2006 Fayetteville Patriots
2006–2007 Colorado 14ers
2007–2010 New Zealand Breakers
2010–2011 EnBW Ludwigsburg
2011 Vaqueros de Bayamón
2011–2012 Kyoto Hannaryz
2012–2013 Osaka Evessa
2013 Wellington Saints
2013–present Wakayama Trians
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

If I am a guy who is pretty much a lock for a top 10, maybe top 5 pick, I would rather go to the better school with more around me. Gaudy Stats are almost meaningless. Kentucky is showing that. Aaron Gordon showed it for us, and Stanley and Rondae will show it this year. I want the best players and system around me, because if I am the focal point, the man, the only man, teams are going to throw the kitchen sink at me and some of my flaws may stick out
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Longhorned wrote:Since everyone is guessing, here's my guess: He's been persuaded for some time now by Cuonzo's "Don't be a part of something, be the start of something" line. Sometimes another salesman closes.
yeah, my jaw sort of dropped to the floor when i heard that. what a ridiculous line.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dirtbags wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Since everyone is guessing, here's my guess: He's been persuaded for some time now by Cuonzo's "Don't be a part of something, be the start of something" line. Sometimes another salesman closes.
yeah, my jaw sort of dropped to the floor when i heard that. what a ridiculous line.
"We're gonna win more games" ain't gonna cut it, so you got to come up with something to sell. You just have to have something to put in the recruit's mind that he can latch onto and that's as good or better than anything else he could've said.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

rgdeuce wrote:If I am a guy who is pretty much a lock for a top 10, maybe top 5 pick, I would rather go to the better school with more around me. Gaudy Stats are almost meaningless. Kentucky is showing that. Aaron Gordon showed it for us, and Stanley and Rondae will show it this year. I want the best players and system around me, because if I am the focal point, the man, the only man, teams are going to throw the kitchen sink at me and some of my flaws may stick out
This.

On the subjects of a conflict with parents, and "The parents always win". Naw.

My instinct is Ivan has wanted Arizona for objective reasons(career prep) and his parents have asked him to "think about it some more and let's talk again". I sense Ivan will present his choice and reasons to his parents and they'll agree and back his decision vigorously.

I'm personalizing this a little. I have four sons. I've always advised those guys to think objectively and critically about options and then make a decision. And above all, in the process----as in the rest of life----"always be yourself". I've consistently been happy with the results, although I've disagreed with a couple of major decisions where it turned out the guys were right as rain and I was wrong.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Miller should be camping out in Chicago for McDonald's game and fly back to Oakland and follow him around!!!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:This sounds like Jalen Tabor, Davonte Neal, and Justice Winslow all over again.

2005 Panellinios
2005 Lleida Bàsquet
2006–2007 Colorado 14ers
2011 Vaqueros de Bayamón
2011–2012 Kyoto Hannaryz
2012–2013 Osaka Evessa
2013 Wellington Saints
Wow. Could make a documentary on his travels.
Right where I want to be.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

This is getting more ridiculous than the Lance Thomas recruitment. And that one Lute had to finally give him the ultimatum on, just to let go and let Lance move on to a career ultimately as rewarding as Rickert's rambling resume'.

Look, I get it: Choosing a college is a hella hard decision, especially if the parents are telling you where to go. That's been a problem almost as old as this country.

If you're mature and know what you want, you make your own decision and stick to it. If Rabb can't do it by this point--I don't care if he's the next Wilt Chamberlain--he's not going to be able to handle the competition Miller throws at him because, with Anderson in the mix and Ashley and Zeus still undecided about leaving, Arizona is the school where he's least likely to start right away.

I'd rather just lose Rabb to Cal right now than go through the months of hope we had with Craig Victor only for him to light out at break.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What troubles me is that 97 (and others) have maintained for months, maybe years, that Rabb is the most important recruit for us, regardless of class. So to invest this much time and effort, and come up short, has to be disappointing for our coaches. Not as disappointing as losing to Wisconsin, but still.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Chicat wrote:I think he should go to Cal. Not only will he be a starter, but he'll be featured. You can't even guarantee him 15+ minutes at Arizona depending on who returns.
The elite teams get all the media attention. If you're not in the top 25, you almost get zero media attention. A couple year's ago we lost out on a big name west coast kid named Jabari Bird. Talk about falling off the map. Team success brings individual accolades.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Longhorned wrote:I think we should all sit around on somebody's bedroom floor and tape our reaction to the announcement and upload it to youtube.
Like this? :lol:

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

gumby wrote:
Merkin wrote:

2005 Panellinios
2005 Lleida Bàsquet
2006–2007 Colorado 14ers
2011 Vaqueros de Bayamón
2011–2012 Kyoto Hannaryz
2012–2013 Osaka Evessa
2013 Wellington Saints
Wow. Could make a documentary on his travels.
Perhaps title it No Rostervations and narrate it by Anthony Bourdain?
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:What troubles me is that 97 (and others) have maintained for months, maybe years, that Rabb is the most important recruit for us, regardless of class. So to invest this much time and effort, and come up short, has to be disappointing for our coaches. Not as disappointing as losing to Wisconsin, but still.
I sincerely doubt anyone of value said Rabb was the most important recruit for Arizona in years. He's a great player, but he's far from a difference maker for a program, truthfully not many 4 men are. In my opinion Nick Johnson was by far the most important recruit for Arizona during Sean Miller's time at Arizona. He paved the way to be able to land the other 5 stars we already have in this class.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

so you're saying there is a chance? ;)

"I think he wants to go to Cal. I don't think it's a secret," said Josh Gershon, recruiting analyst for Scout.com, who talked with the 6-foot-11 forward on Tuesday at media day for the McDonald's All-American Game, to be played Wednesday in Chicago.

"I'm sure Kentucky's still trying, but I think Cal's the team to beat," Gershon said. "If he were to not go to Cal, I would be shocked if it was anywhere but Arizona. I think it's far more likely than not at this point Ivan chooses Cal."

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_27 ... source=rss
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote: I sincerely doubt anyone of value said Rabb was the most important recruit for Arizona in years. He's a great player, but he's far from a difference maker for a program, truthfully not many 4 men are. In my opinion Nick Johnson was by far the most important recruit for Arizona during Sean Miller's time at Arizona. He paved the way to be able to land the other 5 stars we already have in this class.
Absolutely agree. No question Nick Johnson is the first name that comes to mind when asked who the most important recruit Miller has brought through the program. By contributing and visibly improving for three years straight out of high school NJ has set the character, work ethic, and leadership standards Miller should aim for when gunning for the more important recruits.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

Beachcat97 wrote:What troubles me is that 97 (and others) have maintained for months, maybe years, that Rabb is the most important recruit for us, regardless of class. So to invest this much time and effort, and come up short, has to be disappointing for our coaches. Not as disappointing as losing to Wisconsin, but still.
That darn thing called reality. You do your best and either win or lose. Coach has an extraordinary record of recruiting wins. And Nine Sevun is a very knowledgeable guy who is terrific at forecasting.

Chins up, BC.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

I think people are confusing the notion of Rabb being Arizona's top priority in 2015 and Rabb being Miller's most important recruit.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

CatsbyAZ wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: I sincerely doubt anyone of value said Rabb was the most important recruit for Arizona in years. He's a great player, but he's far from a difference maker for a program, truthfully not many 4 men are. In my opinion Nick Johnson was by far the most important recruit for Arizona during Sean Miller's time at Arizona. He paved the way to be able to land the other 5 stars we already have in this class.
Absolutely agree. No question Nick Johnson is the first name that comes to mind when asked who the most important recruit Miller has brought through the program. By contributing and visibly improving for three years straight out of high school NJ has set the character, work ethic, and leadership standards Miller should aim for when gunning for the more important recruits.
nick also seemed to be a really great recruiter for Arizona, even before he stepped on campus.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

No love for Solomon Hill in the most important recruit debate?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:No love for Solomon Hill in the most important recruit debate?
He wasn't even the most important recruit in his own class as much as we all love Solo.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You're talking about 17-18 year old kids. No matter what priority you place, you don't win 100% of the time with kids. Frankly, we were due for someone who was a priority to say no. SJ, AG, Zeus/Ashley and NJ were our last 4 years of priority recruits.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:No love for Solomon Hill in the most important recruit debate?
He wasn't even the most important recruit in his own class as much as we all love Solo.
Not necessarily true. Miller had to re-recruit Solo after he bailed when Lute retired.

DWill may have ended up a better player, but he was only a 3 star, same with Parrom. SHill was a 4 star.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

I guess the argument against Soloman would be he was already coming to Arizona, disaster hit here and he committed to SC, then disaster hit there and he fell back into our lap. You are always going to have the "they fell in Arizona's lap by default" argument with that entire class, whether it is justified or not.

I won't argue against Nick being the most important either. I think the three-headed monster of Bash/Zeus/Jerrett was equally as important in showing that Miller was a monster.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Not necessarily true. Miller had to re-recruit Solo after he bailed when Lute retired.

DWill may have ended up a better player, but he was only a 3 star, same with Parrom. SHill was a 4 star.
I'm not saying Solo wasn't an important recruit, but in hindsight Derrick Williams was the most important recruit outside of Nick Johnson that Sean Miller has landed, whether he knew it at the time he recruited him or not. Williams set the foundation almost singlehandedly for us to be able to land recruits like Ashley, Tarczewski, and Stanley due to the run he carried us on in 2011. Miller did have to re-recruit Solo, but he still had to recruit DWill too.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Plus the fact that Solo showed if you come to AZ, work hard for 4 years, you can get drafted and do pretty well in the NBA.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Nick Johnson was by far Miller's most important recruit.
HIs personality and leadership with his peers opened the door to a great class and other recruits following his lead.
To this day, I think Nick Johnson was more important than Derrick Williams on the recruiting side of things.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

NO NO NO!

Solomon Hill was the first major recruit Miller signed.

Hill showed that the UA was back in business, and therefore the most important.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Remember all the questions early on about player development and whether SM can get kids into the NBA? DWill absolutely squashed 'em, removing a significant barrier to recruiting at a high level, especially bigs. No question he was the most valuable recruit no matter who technically recruited him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm going to go against the grain and say Kyryl Natyazkho. He made it clear that Arizona basketball was a worldwide brand, among other notable contributions.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

It's easy to split the difference and say the Williams was Miller most significant player to date, going from 3-star to NBA 2nd Pick in two years, including Kaminksi'ing Duke in the Tournament. And that Hill, a well regarded, but unfit, generally unathletic wing with good vision and limited shooting range was Miller's most important prospect, helping him lose 15 pounds of flab, add muscle and definition, enabling quickness, teaching sound defensive and offensive fundamentals, and improving his shooting enough to get Hill drafted in 1st after full development.

Johnson, ultimately may be most important, because he was first from Findlay, first Soldier, became POY and All-American, and was drafted into the NBA desire short stature. Opens pipelines, shows what hard work and coaching can overcome, etc.

Not sure who the best prospect/player is yet.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Bosy Billups wrote:Nick Johnson was by far Miller's most important recruit.
HIs personality and leadership with his peers opened the door to a great class and other recruits following his lead.
To this day, I think Nick Johnson was more important than Derrick Williams on the recruiting side of things.
This.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Back on Rabb:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I sincerely doubt anyone of value said Rabb was the most important recruit for Arizona in years. He's a great player, but he's far from a difference maker for a program, truthfully not many 4 men are. In my opinion Nick Johnson was by far the most important recruit for Arizona during Sean Miller's time at Arizona. He paved the way to be able to land the other 5 stars we already have in this class.
Pretty sure I speak for everyone in saying 97 is "of value."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:Back on Rabb:

Interesting. So even at this late hour, there's still some supposed exchanges taking place between AZ and Rabb.

I just want to know this: if Rabb knows he's going to Cal, what's he waiting for? Strange.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Does this mean Tarc and Johnson are coming back? :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dave wrote:Does this mean Tarc and Johnson are coming back? :lol:
Tarc, maybe. SJ is a top five pick, so no.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Rabb is channelling some serious premadonna tendencies.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Rabb keeps saying he's waiting until he talks to his family.

My question... Why is his family avoiding him?

Red Flag
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think I figured it out finally. He's seeing if Swanigan and/or maybe Brown will agree to commit so he can coordinate the announcements.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Pretty sure I speak for everyone in saying 97 is "of value."
I think you are confusing priority with importance.

I am more interested that tweet did not mention Zeus.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Am I the only one that doesn't care anymore?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Olsondogg wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't care anymore?
Not the only one, but likely in the minority.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

But Tarc isn't relevant to that question. Rondae and Ashley are Rabb's competition at the 4. Rabb doesn't want to play the 5. That's why Cal is trying to recruit a big-time 5 to play alongside Rabb.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:But Tarc isn't relevant to that question. Rondae and Ashley are Rabb's competition at the 4. Rabb doesn't want to play the 5. That's why Cal is trying to recruit a big-time 5 to play alongside Rabb.
Some of us are trying to read between the lines of tweets, buzzkill.