ASU blows

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: ASU blows

Post by azgreg »

The longer they wait the more I believe Capel is their guy.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

azgreg wrote:The longer they wait the more I believe Capel is their guy.
Kind of crazy that Capel seems to have been the guy from the start, who else have they even talked to?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat34 wrote:
azgreg wrote:The longer they wait the more I believe Capel is their guy.
Kind of crazy that Capel seems to have been the guy from the start, who else have they even talked to?
Shay Binion?
Gato Salvaje

Post by Gato Salvaje »

ASU is where you go when you're ready for your career to die.
Retread City. You're best hope is to negotiate a big buyout for an inevitable early termination.

I'm pretty sure the line of candidates outside the Athletic department could be confused with a casting call for extras on the walking dead.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Can you imagine being capel going national championship to Wells Fargo arena! Talk a bout taking 20 steps backwards!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He would be smart to wait out Coach K and replace him as I,know K has given him a lot of responsibilities this year. If he goes to ASSU and is mediocre (which is a good job there) he might not get the Duke gig
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So what has it been, 2 weeks since they fired Herb?

It's gotta be Capel.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

asu prez mike crow: asu has not met with any men's basketball coaching candidates

but hey: "It’s one thing to come into a program that has been established by someone else, and run the things someone else built," he said. "It turns out for a person like me, that’s not of any interest to me at all or a lot of people. I want to be the person that came in and helped build it. So there’s plenty of coaches that want to come in and take us to the next level."

maybe they should just tell hc candidates not to be a part of something, but to be the start of something. :roll:

i'm guessing asu ends up with someone like a marv mensies from nmsu, anyway. shrug.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

My 'source', who has high level contacts all over the West but who is not associated with any PAC school, told me that ASU has 'reached out' to at least five up and coming coaches in the West that he knows about plus one very well established coach whom just about any one would consider a home-run hire and whose teams have been ranked and who have played Arizona several times in the last few years. All have told them go pound sand.

He doesn't have a handle on the Capel situation, but like everybody else, but figures that the job is his if he wants it. On the other hand, Capel may have cooled on the idea as Duke has advanced in the tourney - and now that they have won, it might just be that K decides to retire at the top and Capel will take over for him.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

dirtbags wrote:asu prez mike crow: asu has not met with any men's basketball coaching candidates

but hey: "It’s one thing to come into a program that has been established by someone else, and run the things someone else built," he said. "It turns out for a person like me, that’s not of any interest to me at all or a lot of people. I want to be the person that came in and helped build it. So there’s plenty of coaches that want to come in and take us to the next level."

maybe they should just tell hc candidates not to be a part of something, but to be the start of something. :roll:

i'm guessing asu ends up with someone like a marv mensies from nmsu, anyway. shrug.
Without intending to, this genius did not realize that his comments acknowledge the inferiority that Arizona State University represents in the world of higher education. Paraphrased, "I wanted to become the President of a college that was bottom of the barrel without any history of respect or achievement, and make it into something meaningful". Well, got his opportunity - but unfortunately, he has not been able to do anything with it. Although I suppose with the increase in student population, he should be generating a higher output of graduates from the diploma mill that makes its home in Tempe.

He should quit playing checkers and start playing chess. And then sign up for a 100-level economics course at SCC; flooding the market with a product only diminishes the value of that product.

I think Warren Buffet's perspective is more a appropriate here; "Put a good manager in a bad business and it's the business's reputation that will emerge in tact". Anyone with any coaching ability whatsoever, who cares about their career, will stay far, far away from ASU Basketball.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I just want to point out a fact:

Assistant coach at Duke >>>>>>>>> Head coach at ASU
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dirtbags wrote:asu prez mike crow: asu has not met with any men's basketball coaching candidates

As coaching search statements go, NCSU's fire in the belly is still the GOAT.
Scummy Dick Douglas

Post by Scummy Dick Douglas »

Olsondogg wrote:I just want to point out a fact:

Sure, if money has absolutely no bearing on your decision. As much as a hopeless position the ASU job is, they are willing to pay Capel $1.5-$2m. He makes $600k at Duke now.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Marvin Menzies it is then
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

They just need to find someone who is willing to ditch his current players with a second-hand mass text relayed by a grad assistant.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
krissyp

Post by krissyp »

Shades of their search for their head football coach. We should witness about four or five more rejections. Here's to them getting their basketball Hot Toddy!!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Rest of the PAC going: SHIT!

Would have been pretty fantastic to get a mediocre coach at ASU with a guaranteed full pay salary like Sendek received.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shay Binion time
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I heard Bobby Hurley on twitter. Dumpster fire, again....
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Main Event wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to your basketball head coaching search ASU.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

My brother in law works at ASU. He told me these are the candidates they reached out to late last night after Capel turned them down:

And this up and coming, well known assistant coach

Also not widely reported is the rumor that the Washington Generals coach turned down the job because he had a better chance at winning where he works now.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

gumby

Post by gumby »

Curtain of Distraction needs an off-season marathon.
Right where I want to be.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Hey now...Johnson was 4-6 against Arizona. Well 3-0 against KON
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

"heyyyyyy, asu!"
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

Wow, just wow.

Couldn't happen to a better school. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If you're looking for someone to take your dumpster fire of a program to new lows...

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
az91

Post by az91 »

Bring back Rob Evans!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I don't think I'd ever stop laughing if they hired Kon.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can someone tell me why Sendek got fired?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Actually, it looks like he won 4 games in the Big 12 this year. It's going 2-16 and 0-18 the first two years that drags that average down.

If ASU truly wasted all their juice trying to wait for Jeff Capel, LO****ingL. That's like trying to hook up with a marginally attractive chick who torpedoed her marriage with a drug problem and is currently finishing a prison term. Then, she hits her release date, shacks up with some ratfaced phony and won't give you the time of day.
az91

Post by az91 »

How about bringing back Russ Pennell?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Can someone tell me why Sendek got fired?
They thought they could do better.

They can't.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

They can't.
Maybe they should re-hire Sendek. Just admit they made a mistake.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They can't.
That would fantastic.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:

They can't.
That would be the most ASU thing ever . . . except for giving your date a roofie and a dose of super chlamydia of course.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

az91 wrote:How about bringing back Russ Pennell?
Russ is a good guy, and I'd hope he wouldn't take that job, cause I'd hate to have to root against him.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Dude has to make a living. I wouldn't hold it against him.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Scummy Dick Douglas wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I just want to point out a fact:

Sure, if money has absolutely no bearing on your decision. As much as a hopeless position the ASU job is, they are willing to pay Capel $1.5-$2m. He makes $600k at Duke now.
Timely post there genius.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Where is all the ASU fan angst? When the coaching search was going down at NCSU it was epic. I want more of that, damnit.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Puerco wrote:Where is all the ASU fan angst? When the coaching search was going down at NCSU it was epic. I want more of that, damnit.
ASU has to have fans before they can have fan angst. That's why they can (and will) hire someone demonstrably worse than Herb and no one will bat an eye.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:
Puerco wrote:Where is all the ASU fan angst? When the coaching search was going down at NCSU it was epic. I want more of that, damnit.
ASU has to have fans before they can have fan angst. That's why they can (and will) hire someone demonstrably worse than Herb and no one will bat an eye.
The 3 of them are meeting this morning at Denny's, but the topic of discussion is not on coaches but rather a new fabric for the curtain of embarrassment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:

ASU fans would also need to be knowledgeable enough about basketball to know they are getting a downgrade. That is also lacking.
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

I am surprised that Majerle's name has not come up. Not like he has set the world on fire at GCU but it's the type of hire that would draw some eyeballs locally and you might be catching a guy on an upswing - high risk, high reward. Plus Crow can poke GCU in the eye by stealing their guy - he seems to have an axe to grind against them.

I will bust a gut laughing if it's Trent Johnson. Coaching lifer, nice guy with clearly limited ceiling. So, basically, a poor man's Herb Sendek.