Thornton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

luteformayor2

Thornton

Post by luteformayor2 »

Is there any truth to the swirling rumors that D Thornton could reclassify to the 2015 class and then choose between Arizona, Duke, and Lville?

Would that even be something we want?
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Thornton

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Having not heard that rumor, I would think that if he reclassified, we would probably not be the destination. Duke needs a PG bad.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Duke if it happens
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:Duke if it happens
I think I beat you by 5 seconds.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Louisville needs guards too.

Arizona . . . eh, not so much.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Duke either/or
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dukes '15 Class is oddly weak. Tyus just left too
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That's what she said
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

splitsecond wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That's what she said
No, that's usually what he says.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Duke and Ville are urging this. Kentucky says stay put, according to the ESPN dudes covering Dick's Sporting Goods event. They never mentioned Arizona.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Jefe wrote:Dukes '15 Class is oddly weak. Tyus just left too
Big loss. He was so good.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

gumby wrote:Duke and Ville are urging this. Kentucky says stay put, according to the ESPN dudes covering Dick's Sporting Goods event. They never mentioned Arizona.
That's because Thornton will never play here with Zo on this squad
gumby

Post by gumby »

2:48 am -- be sure to get a nap.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

dcZONAfan wrote:
gumby wrote:Duke and Ville are urging this. Kentucky says stay put, according to the ESPN dudes covering Dick's Sporting Goods event. They never mentioned Arizona.
Duke so warm on him, UK, and Furd. Seems like dim prospects for Thornton.

With PJC finishing up, Zo probably too, my candidate is Jaylen Hands for '17. Kid's progress has been terrific. All the PG stuff plus a winner and worker. Like PJC, fearless against size.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

EOCT wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Duke so warm on him, UK, and Furd. Seems like dim prospects for Thornton.

With PJC finishing up, Zo probably too, my candidate is Jaylen Hands for '17. Kid's progress has been terrific. All the PG stuff plus a winner and worker. Like PJC, fearless against size.
How are his hands? :P
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
gumby

Post by gumby »

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Duke is loading up. Wouldn't surprise me to see Coach K snag Ingram from KY; he just won the title with 3 one-and-dones and may very well reel in a couple more kids influenced by the recent national championship.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:Reclassifying. Going to Duke.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recru ... ext-season
When the reclassification talk started the day Tyus Jones declared...it was probably a foregone conclusion.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So, is he going to complete his senior year during the summer or later down the road? So much pressure on him now.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

He's no Tyus Jones. Yet. The times I saw him play, he was often careless with the ball and dominated it almost to a fault. Great talent though. The extra year could have done wonders for him.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

What is interesting is that Duke is one of the finest academic institutions in the country, yet anyone Coach K wants, is essentially accepted into the university. Are there no academic restrictions for his athletes? I am not insinuating that none of them have the necessary GPAs or level of intelligence to enroll in Duke, but it is a very difficult school to get into for some of the best high school academic achievers, yet he seems to recruit any player he wants without concerns of academic qualifications. It is one thing when one is talking about state universities (and even then, some kids don't qualify), but all of Coach K's recruits cannot be legitimate candidates for Duke. Coach K is desperate at the point guard position, so he contacts Thornton, Thornton suddenly decides to reclassify and now he is on his way into one of the best academic institutions in the nation. No one else but a basketball player could pull that off with such little effort; there are extremely bright and accomplished high school students working overtime trying to do anything they can to get into that school, yet a basketball player gets in at the last minute on Coach K's whim. At the end of the day, it is about dollars -- and Duke basketball generates a ton of money.
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

Stanford requires an 1120 SAT for general student population, AND athletes. Might have change in the last few years.

Duke requires a 1080, or an 800 for athletes. That might have changed too.

But that is how it was about 5-6 years ago.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Where there's a J-Will, there's a way.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Stanford requires an 1120 SAT for general student population, AND athletes. Might have change in the last few years.

Unless they changed the scale for the SAT recently... these numbers above are way too low.

20 some years ago, there was not much sense in even applying to Stanford as a member of the general student population unless you scored at least a 1300 (1350+ to feel better about your chances)... and that simply earned you a chance to be considered. The standards for athletes were markedly lower (1050-1100) - but still considerably higher than entrance requirements for scholarship athletes at other schools. I would expect that it has only become more difficult for general students...

As for Duke, I have no experience there - but 1080 seems awfully low... I would think it is close to Stanford. 800 for athletes seems really low, too - but they have FAR more relaxed academic standards for scholarship athletes than Stanford - regardless of what the dookies would have us believe.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Meh...on to the next one
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Harvey Specter wrote:
BigSkyCatinMT wrote:Stanford requires an 1120 SAT for general student population, AND athletes. Might have change in the last few years.

Unless they changed the scale for the SAT recently... these numbers above are way too low.

20 some years ago, there was not much sense in even applying to Stanford as a member of the general student population unless you scored at least a 1300 (1350+ to feel better about your chances)... and that simply earned you a chance to be considered. The standards for athletes were markedly lower (1050-1100) - but still considerably higher than entrance requirements for scholarship athletes at other schools. I would expect that it has only become more difficult for general students...

As for Duke, I have no experience there - but 1080 seems awfully low... I would think it is close to Stanford. 800 for athletes seems really low, too - but they have FAR more relaxed academic standards for scholarship athletes than Stanford - regardless of what the dookies would have us believe.
Isn't the SAT a 2400 point scale now?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I believe so. Stanford probably requires at least a 1750 or something now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Yes. 800/800/800
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Yes. 800/800/800
Well, then if Duke only requires a 1080, I think they've definitely relaxed their academic standards.
gumby

Post by gumby »

It's the new relaxed-fit standards.