Fallen Leaf

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

JMarkJohns

Re: TJ Leaf

Post by JMarkJohns »

Conspiracy theorist in me thinks he was always plant (by Adidas, Magic, UCLA), sent to lull Arizona into false security, then decommit at one of the times it would hurt the most (dead period, day prior to Hands visit) in a way that captured headlines for multiple reasons (AAU, National Team), inferring along the way reasons of infidelity (always recruiting others), slow pace (no freedom), and then reclassify and join UCLA as the 14th scholarship where Bryce then walks on to make room.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

JMark- When did you get the tinfoil hat?!!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

Alieberman wrote:JMark- When did you get the tinfoil hat?!!
I've been driven to it.

You don't go from possibly reclassifying and coming to Arizona early to reclassifying and going to UCLA as a 14th scholarship without a great deal of bullshit having been wade through, and from that point in April to now August seems like too short a time. Convenience of it all is all too convenient.

The callousness with which things have ended speaks to a long-term issue, maybe a long-term feigned interest.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

My speculation on this:

1) Maybe Leaf was furious about not making the U19 team and blamed Miller, right or wrong. If he left because of this, good riddance. If he thought Miller would hand him anything, even at U of A, he was misinformed.

2) Maybe Miller didn't like what he saw in Leaf at the U19 tryouts, and they came to a mutual agreement. Hard to believe this since Leaf is clearly a top-tier player and no team has the talent to pass on a top 15 player.

3) Perhaps someone got in his ear and convinced him the grass is greener at UCLA, some other college, or overseas. If this is the case then it had to be a family decision. My guess is some $$ would be involved in this scenario, particularly if he decides to play in Europe.

My completely ignorant guess is that, of the three, 3 is most likely.

One of the things I don't think Miller gets enough credit for is his ability to make guys into the best defensive players they can be. Leaf is obviously a talent. If he had learned defense from Miller, there is a good chance he lasts in the NBA an extra 2-3 years at least. Imagine the financial benefit of that!

Honestly, none of the above scenarios make sense. Probably why this seems like such a shock to many of us. Any word from the coaching staff on this?

Go Cats!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JMarkJohns wrote:
Alieberman wrote:JMark- When did you get the tinfoil hat?!!
I've been driven to it.

You don't go from possibly reclassifying and coming to Arizona early to reclassifying and going to UCLA as a 14th scholarship without a great deal of bullshit having been wade through, and from that point in April to now August seems like too short a time. Convenience of it all is all too convenient.

The callousness with which things have ended speaks to a long-term issue, maybe a long-term feigned interest.
My tin foil hat is on as well. As I mentioned earlier it is far from coincidence this happened a day before Jaylen Hands's visit.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Maybe a kid just changed his mind?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Catstatic wrote: My guess is some $$ would be involved in this scenario, particularly if he decides to play in Europe.

Probably Israel if he does go pro. He did pretty well this summer there making U18 Euro tourney MVP averaging 16/8.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:Maybe a kid just changed his mind?
He definitely had people in his ear about it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Merkin wrote:
Catstatic wrote: My guess is some $$ would be involved in this scenario, particularly if he decides to play in Europe.

Probably Israel if he does go pro. He did pretty well this summer there making U18 Euro tourney MVP averaging 16/8.
I think this has everything to do with the decision..and it's just that simple. Kids that age are pretty impressionable and an experience abroad like that, after getting dropped by Miller, well it makes lots of sense.
Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

threenumberones wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I think this has everything to do with the decision..and it's just that simple. Kids that age are pretty impressionable and an experience abroad like that, after getting dropped by Miller, well it makes lots of sense.
I agree. I think his success in that tournament as well as people in his ear about staying there and playing professionally for a year was the difference. Another school like UCLA? That would surprise me. Regardless, Miller must be fuming and considering what (if anything) the staff can do to ensure this does not happen again.

Go Cats!!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

My guess is it was the compton magic who pressed him repeatedly about Jarrett and more specifically York's career. Lot of hands in that cookie jar for sure
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

azcat49 wrote:My guess is it was the compton magic who pressed him repeatedly about Jarrett and more specifically York's career. Lot of hands in that cookie jar for sure
What is wrong with York's career? The kid has played major minutes for two seasons, and has had many starts. Not bad for a player that wasn't a 5-star recruit and who is a bit undersized.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Easily replaceable.

Get fucked.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Catstatic wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I agree. I think his success in that tournament as well as people in his ear about staying there and playing professionally for a year was the difference. Another school like UCLA? That would surprise me. Regardless, Miller must be fuming and considering what (if anything) the staff can do to ensure this does not happen again.

Go Cats!!
He almost committed to UCLA before he committed to Arizona, but something with ADIDAS got soured. It had since been rectified
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

KaibabKat wrote:Do you miss me yet?

Yes, I do.

But I am recovering better than those that still long for this guy... The one with 'that passion, that energy'.

Catstatic

Post by Catstatic »

luteformayor2 wrote:Easily replaceable.

Get fucked.
Now that's funny! :lol: Thanks, I needed that.

Go Cats!!
az91

Post by az91 »

MrBug708 wrote:
Catstatic wrote:
threenumberones wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Go Cats!!
He almost committed to UCLA before he committed to Arizona, but something with ADIDAS got soured. It had since been rectified
Interesting, so the next time we hear about Leaf, it will most likely be that he has committed to UCLA?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

az91 wrote:
Interesting, so the next time we hear about Leaf, it will most likely be that he has committed to UCLA?
I dont think it's a forgone conclusion right now, but I think people wouldnt be shocked if he ended up at UCLA
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:
az91 wrote:
I dont think it's a forgone conclusion right now, but I think people wouldnt be shocked if he ended up at UCLA
He'll put on a farce and act like he's really open, take some visits to some big schools, and then pop for ucla just like Shabazz did. Bad secrets abound in Westwood.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

midnightx wrote:
azcat49 wrote:My guess is it was the compton magic who pressed him repeatedly about Jarrett and more specifically York's career. Lot of hands in that cookie jar for sure
What is wrong with York's career? The kid has played major minutes for two seasons, and has had many starts. Not bad for a player that wasn't a 5-star recruit and who is a bit undersized.
He was considered a god in the LA basketball scene. He's been far from that at Arizona. The problem is you're thinking with your higher cognitive function and using common sense for your basis of reasoning. AAU programs and parents don't have the ability to do that. Irrationality to the thought of how good Gabe York really is has hurt the perception of Arizona. Hell you can say the same for Zeus for the simple fact that he was ridiculously overrated by recruiting sites when his physical limitations were more than obvious from the get go. It sucks, but it is what it is. Miller has made some bad recruiting choices during his prime years on the recruiting trail. This 2015 class is a move in the right direction though minus an immediate star.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

A god in the LA basketball scene?

lol
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

TJ Leaf = Ryan Leaf?

:P . . . mostly.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MrBug708 wrote:A god in the LA basketball scene?

lol
York City was a movement my man. You probably weren't aware because when he was in high school UCLA didn't even field a basketball team.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Since when is a 4 year player who has improved every year and is a preseason all PAC player a recruting mistake? People love to pile on, and to regurgitate opinions of scouts who did not rate a player the same as others.

I find the fandom of some very entertaining.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:Since when is a 4 year player who has improved every year and is a preseason all PAC player a recruting mistake? People love to pile on, and to regurgitate opinions of scouts who did not rate a player the same as others.

I find the fandom of some very entertaining.
Someone called him a recruiting mistake? I sure wouldn't since he has contributed to Arizona, but when the lack of showcasing him greatly hurts your cause with an AAU program that currently has the most talent on the west coast it's not exactly good. We also chose Gabe York over Joseph Young. Was that the right decision for us? Especially when it seems that Sean Miller has no problem overrecruiting at positions he really doesn't need to over players who are similarly rated as Gabe York was? Either way Josiah Turner and Sidiki Johnson were recruiting mistakes. I sure wouldn't put Gabe York in that category no matter any negativity his presence could have possibly caused us on the recruiting trail. Arizona is bigger than one AAU program.

Also there's a preseason All-Pac 12 list already? One that includes Gabe York on it? You have a link for that?
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Gabe York is turning into this teams Fogg. Witch IMO is a good thing. Clutch...he should have a great year this year IMO. This team is going to be much better than people are giving them credit for.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

York is going to get a lot of minutes at the point guard position besides starting at the 2 while Trier and Simon learn to adapt to the college game. PJC is certainly going to be good, but as we saw last year the other teams took advantage of his low stature so Miller had to yank him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:York is going to get a lot of minutes at the point guard position besides starting at the 2 while Trier and Simon learn to adapt to the college game. PJC is certainly going to be good, but as we saw last year the other teams took advantage of his low stature so Miller had to yank him.
This entire post, and especially the first portion of the first sentence, completely contradicts the bolded part in the post below. If Parker's low stature is going to haunt this team enough to the point where Miller is giving Gabe York "a lot of minutes at the point guard position" then Miller made a mistake in recruiting Parker plain and simple, because Gabe York has zero business commanding a lot of minutes at point guard. Honestly the more minutes PJC has on the court the better this team will be and I'm sure Miller knows that.
whatisee wrote:Gabe York is turning into this teams Fogg. Witch IMO is a good thing. Clutch...he should have a great year this year IMO. This team is going to be much better than people are giving them credit for.
Just don't see this team being "much better" than people are giving them credit for. I mean ESPN picks this team to be 15th in the nation and IMO that's generous enough as is. The real talent on this team is very young and aren't the Stanley/Gordon type of players who contribute at a high level immediately. I just don't see it...
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

15th is probably fair. PJC will show flashes but still is too small and too inconsistent to be a floor general that TJ was or what is needed with this group to win the conference by multiple games. Hope he figures it out by PAC12 play but I would not bet on that right now.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:15th is probably fair. PJC will show flashes but still is too small and too inconsistent to be a floor general that TJ was or what is needed with this group to win the conference by multiple games. Hope he figures it out by PAC12 play but I would not bet on that right now.
I doubt even the people very optimistic about PJC (me included) thinks he'll be as good this year as TJ was last year, but he's by far and away Arizona's best option at point guard to win as many games as possible and it's not even close.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If PJC makes the 'usual' freshman to sophomore jump he still may not be quite as good as TJ was last year but he could very well be dang close.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Can we move this off the Arizona Basketball forum?
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I am hoping that we can count on PJC this year. If PJC can run the point successfully, York will be freed up to do what he does best: Shoot off the ball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:15th is probably fair. PJC will show flashes but still is too small and too inconsistent to be a floor general that TJ was or what is needed with this group to win the conference by multiple games. Hope he figures it out by PAC12 play but I would not bet on that right now.
I doubt even the people very optimistic about PJC (me included) thinks he'll be as good this year as TJ was last year, but he's by far and away Arizona's best option at point guard to win as many games as possible and it's not even close.

Been a long time since we had a PG like TJ, and going to be a long time again before we see another. Shakur's senior year was the last good PG year before TJ.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Been a long time since we had a PG like TJ, and going to be a long time again before we see another. Shakur's senior year was the last good PG year before TJ.
That's a fair take, but I'm curious why you believe it will be a long time before we have another great point guard year? Is it merely PJC's small stature that deters you from believing he could have a year like TJ did or a year like Shakur's season year? Honestly he's everything you want at point guard from a skill set stand point so I don't know why you have no hopes for the kid? I understand this upcoming year, but he has two upperclassmen years ahead of him.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

My concerns with pjc have nothing to do with his size and everything to do with his inability to play on the road.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:My concerns with pjc have nothing to do with his size and everything to do with his inability to play on the road.
Did very well in 3 of his last 4 road games. I wasn't even aware this was a concern?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:My concerns with pjc have nothing to do with his size and everything to do with his inability to play on the road.
Did very well in 3 of his last 4 road games. I wasn't even aware this was a concern?
What games are those? His a:to on the road was 6:10, at home 42:9. To me that seems like an issue. His last road game miller barely played him because he couldn't handle it.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So leaf is looking at 8 (!) schools, none of which is Arizona.

:lol: ok then.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
What games are those? His a:to on the road was 6:10, at home 42:9. To me that seems like an issue. His last road game miller barely played him because he couldn't handle it.
Cal, Furd, and Colorado. Didn't play much against Utah for obvious reasons, but his A/TO ratio was 1:1 in those games in back up minutes. To me the stats you posted were pretty much consistent with any freshman back up point guard. Obviously those tend to improve as they get older.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

So our one and only 2016 pledge in TJ Leaf just completely out of the blue decommit's from one of the best BB programs on the planet (UofA) and its just a yawn or on to the next one crap.

Not only does he go from a committed position, to a decommit, he now has 8 other schools that he is considering and the UofA doesn't even get a reach around as if we don't even exist.

Does anyone seriously think that any of this is on the up an up as being presented.

Even an outsider from afar can look at this situation and see something happened that was "personal" to the point that there must be some kind of hard feeling somewhere between the parties involved not being talked about.

The AAU Adidas finger pointing slant is just a smoke screen of BS to lead you off of the trail. Leaf said all of the right things about the program so he won't be looked at as tainted goods. Thats just smart business and logical.

Something personal from a negative standpoint was bubbling below the surface that is driving this logic defying decision and it hasn't got jackshit to do with playing overseas either.

So now its 8 new schools and not one of them involves Arizona on the list. Sorry I'm not buying the BS being fed to the public.

Going to be interesting when the truth comes out, and it will.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Yep
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Does anyone seriously think that any of this is on the up an up as being presented.
The absolute first thing I thought when I saw it was eight schools and saw the eight schools listed (including no Arizona) was 'This is smoke. This is the type of big list you put out when you want it to seem like you're open.'
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

SCCats wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Does anyone seriously think that any of this is on the up an up as being presented.
The absolute first thing I thought when I saw it was eight schools and saw the eight schools listed (including no Arizona) was 'This is smoke. This is the type of big list you put out when you want it to seem like you're open.'

Behind the closed doors something happened and we are not being told at this point.

Sean Miller being blindsided by Leaf's decommit is very likely more BS as well. This drastic move involves some self-serving hard feelings somewhere along the line and its hard to tell who, what, where and when is really at the center of the situation.

Nothing about this remotely passes the smell test.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Gladiator Cat wrote:So our one and only 2016 pledge in TJ Leaf just completely out of the blue decommit's from one of the best BB programs on the planet (UofA) and its just a yawn or on to the next one crap.
Who's saying this?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
SCCats wrote:

Behind the closed doors something happened and we are not being told at this point.

Sean Miller being blindsided by Leaf's decommit is very likely more BS as well. This drastic move involves some self-serving hard feelings somewhere along the line and its hard to tell who, what, where and when is really at the center of the situation.

Nothing about this remotely passes the smell test.
The Adidas crap isn't smoke screen and I have no idea why you'd prefer to throw Arizona under the bus here as opposed to seeing basketball recruiting for what it really is. Hell before he committed to Arizona nobody expected him to do so, he was pegged for UCLA from the get go, but something that didn't sit right with his circle put them out of contention when he decided he wanted to commit. There was enough time between his commitment to Arizona and to his signing day to create amends and here we are. Also outside of Jerryd Bayless, how many guys have decommitted from a school publicly and ended up seriously considering them let alone committing to them after? Arizona isn't going to waste the time recruiting him now. That's why they're not on the list amongst other reasons.

We all have our tin foil hat on here, I get it, but you're taking it to an extreme that just isn't there. It's been clear from the get go what is going on and UCLA fans even admit it.

Also fwiw there hasn't been many recruits that have committed to UCLA that have remotely passed the smell test in some years. Kyle Anderson, Kevon Looney, any of the Georgia kids they've landed, the Isaac Hamilton recruitment fiasco, and of course Shabazz Muhammad.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Now that was some funny and out of context ****, with or without a tin foil hat.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Now that was some funny and out of context ****, with or without a tin foil hat.
No more funny than your ridiculously out of context smell test. You may want to get checked out for anosmia or maybe simply remove the turd from your nose.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Gladiator Cat wrote:So our one and only 2016 pledge in TJ Leaf just completely out of the blue decommit's from one of the best BB programs on the planet (UofA) and its just a yawn or on to the next one crap.

Not only does he go from a committed position, to a decommit, he now has 8 other schools that he is considering and the UofA doesn't even get a reach around as if we don't even exist.

Does anyone seriously think that any of this is on the up an up as being presented.

Even an outsider from afar can look at this situation and see something happened that was "personal" to the point that there must be some kind of hard feeling somewhere between the parties involved not being talked about.

The AAU Adidas finger pointing slant is just a smoke screen of BS to lead you off of the trail. Leaf said all of the right things about the program so he won't be looked at as tainted goods. Thats just smart business and logical.

Something personal from a negative standpoint was bubbling below the surface that is driving this logic defying decision and it hasn't got jackshit to do with playing overseas either.

So now its 8 new schools and not one of them involves Arizona on the list. Sorry I'm not buying the BS being fed to the public.

Going to be interesting when the truth comes out, and it will.
Maybe he just did not enjoy his experience with Miller before being cut? Or maybe he just changed his mind since he committed fairly early. I do not think there is a personal thing or anything that is fraudulent or illegal going on.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I highly highly doubt there was a nefarious plan by Adidas, UCLA, and the Illuminati to bring down Arizona Basketball from the inside. The kid changed his mind. We should probably just accept it and move on as a fanbase.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?